CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Maps look like they will play good, but I just hate how they all look exactly the same. Hope this doesn't stay the same for the rest of the maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm glad to see power-ups finally spawn frequently again but I'm really confused and disappointed by the fact that they made them be on a dynamic timer instead of a static timer. We need power-ups and power weapons to be on static timers for consistency. I don't like having to play the guessing game to try to figure out whether or not a power-up has spawned yet. We need to push for power-ups to be on static timers because they are just as important to control as the power weapons. We need it where everybody in the game has the ability to know when the power-ups are spawning not just one player or one team, it needs to be a fair fight over the power-ups. No team should be at a disadvantage just because they didn't see when the previous power-up was picked up by a player.

That is part of the strategy of halo though. It gives the team the advantage that got to the powerup first. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

I think all the precision weapons should be capable of 3 perfect kills.

BR should stay at 36 rounds, 12 rounds per enemy.

Lightrifle 12 rounds.

DMR + pistol 15 rounds.

Otherwise, while I like the look of a lot of the maps, I'm not a huge fan of how many "city" maps are in the game.

We have 2 covie themed maps.

1 forerunner (unless there's a mirror of Collesium)

like 5 city maps

and Fathom, which while isn't a city map, shares a very similar palette.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That is part of the strategy of halo though. It gives the team the advantage that got to the powerup first. 

Having dynamic timers allows snowballing. If one team gets a potentially good break, they could snowball the game as they know timers for weapons while the other team doesn't. Go play some Halo 1, and you will realise that the way Dynamic works in Halo is dumb compared to Static.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not if they're smart. Pistol > BR in skill and kill time. 

Anyone who wants BR starts is letting nostalgia play too much of a factor. It's the easiest utility rifle to use in the game, the slowest killing, and not even single-shot. 

You're right, for some reason I just assumed the BR would be used since it always has been in competitive settings when it's been in Halo games. I'm not sure what the kill times are between the utility weapons, but how about the DMR? The scope in itself is a great reason why it'd be great, and I'm sure the time to kill with it can be tweaked in custom settings.

I think all the precision weapons should be capable of 3 perfect kills.

BR should stay at 36 rounds, 12 rounds per enemy.

Lightrifle 12 rounds.

DMR + pistol 15 rounds.

Sounds about right. 

One of my only complaints so far is that Halo 5 doesn't look like Reach/H3. Reach had the best graphics of any Halo. Halo 5 looks like one big seizure of over the top lighting and textures.

Anyone here like Halo 5 graphics over Reach/H3?

The pistol/AR gameplay looks sooooooooooooo not fun

Also, you guys want to make this pistol thing work really badly. It won't and it's a waste of a discussion. No one else in the Halo community as a whole wants to see the pistol as the primary weapon. It's simply not as fun to use and not as fun to watch. The BR represents Halo more to the vast majority of people.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 21

The pistol/AR gameplay looks sooooooooooooo bad

Broadcast mode makes it look really bad as of right now.

Just reread your edit. Thanks for speaking for the whole of the Halo community.

Having dynamic timers allows snowballing. If one team gets a potentially good break, they could snowball the game as they know timers for weapons while the other team doesn't. Go play some Halo 1, and you will realise that the way Dynamic works in Halo is dumb compared to Static.

mobas are super snowball oriented, but it doesn't stop them from being the biggest esport. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Also, you guys want to make this pistol thing work really badly. It won't and it's a waste of a discussion. No one else in the Halo community as a whole wants to see the pistol as the primary weapon. It's simply not as fun to use and not as fun to watch. The BR represents Halo more to the vast majority of people.

Nobody wants to make it a primary weapon, we just want it to be a decent starting weapon if they insist on AR/Pistol spawns.

AR/Pistol starts sound awesome. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

mobas are super snowball oriented, but it doesn't stop them from being the biggest esport. 

too bad Halo isn't a competitive moba, huh?

Static timers basically means you can't just hold onto the weapons and camp with them. I don't know why the hell you wouldn't want that.

Otherwise, while I like the look of a lot of the maps, I'm not a huge fan of how many "city" maps are in the game.

We have 2 covie themed maps.

1 forerunner (unless there's a mirror of Collesium)

like 5 city maps

and Fathom, which while isn't a city map, shares a very similar palette.

Yeah, it's really annoying...

Having one or two maps with this boring new UNSC design is one thing, nobody can expect you to ship 20 maps with an unique design but whoever is in charge of designing maps seems to have an unconditional love for this architecture..

found the br kid...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Warzone to have the biggest snowball effect confirmed.

I also dislike snowball effects in games that have very little ways of combating that effect. 

found the br kid...

Honestly its more of aesthetic thing for me. The BR looks like an actual primary gun where as the pistol looks really wimpy. If they are going to go with ar/pistol starts I would really like them to beef the pistol look up to more of a handcannon like H1. IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm glad to see power-ups finally spawn frequently again but I'm really confused and disappointed by the fact that they made them be on a dynamic timer instead of a static timer. We need power-ups and power weapons to be on static timers for consistency. I don't like having to play the guessing game to try to figure out whether or not a power-up has spawned yet. We need to push for power-ups to be on static timers because they are just as important to control as the power weapons. We need it where everybody in the game has the ability to be able to know when the power-ups are spawning not just one player or one team, it needs to be a fair fight over the power-ups. No team should be at a disadvantage just because they didn't see when the previous power-up was picked up by a player.

I agree, I like static timers much more than dynamic timers, but from the beta I remember the announcer would announce when weapons spawned and there was a timer on the spawn points. I didn't hear the announcer's voice in the game play that was shown, but it could be there. 

Since they are pushing for pistol starts I want it to be the best it can be. I prefer the aesthetic of a rifle (basically a DMR) but obviously 343 wants the pistol to start.

Also why do they want to keep vanilla and competitive so close? That's not what will make Halo better, if there are settings that are better for competitive, and more fun casually they should be separate. The biggest title in Halo had a huge desparity between the 2 settings. It just seems like both communities will have to face compromises for a happy medium.

Warzone to have the biggest snowball effect confirmed.

I also dislike snowball effects in games that have very little ways of combating that effect.

Then you must hate Beaver Creek

Threw up a quick video of the shotgun flash light attachment (maybe?) as I thought it looked cool

You can shoot while sliding? Sounds OP. Gonna be some funny moments doing that.

Since they are pushing for pistol starts I want it to be the best it can be. I prefer the aesthetic of a rifle (basically a DMR) but obviously 343 wants the pistol to start.

Also why do they want to keep vanilla and competitive so close? That's not what will make Halo better, if there are settings that are better for competitive, and more fun casually they should be separate. The biggest title in Halo had a huge desparity between the 2 settings. It just seems like both communities will have to face compromises for a happy medium.

I was never a huge fan of certain people crying out "comp settings need to be vanilla as possible otherwise casuals won't watch it".

• Upvote (+1) 1