CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Except the BR was a horrible "utility" (HEAVY quotations) weapon, any way you put it, and they didn't put Carbines ahead of the BR in any competitive areas, despite the latter being more consistent with a very close kill time to boot. The DMR was a START, and it took them 9 years to get there, but then they showed more of a screw up with bloom, further hampering it.

The DMR in Halo 4, at least felt like a pseudo Magnum, and was a proper utility weapon (Lacking bloom, remaining consistent and quick to kill), but people thought it was "OP" and thus, 343i buffed the BR and everything else around it to cope (When seriously, it boils down to proper use).

How was the BR a horrible utility weapon? That's quite the exaggeration. Putting the carbine ahead of the BR at certain ranges would've created more randomness, exactly what people who play for money don't want. The carbine wouldn't be better as a utility weapon it's way too spammy really. Plus again clip size is way too small in relation to how many bullets it takes to kill. Also the DMR in Halo 4 at the beginning was 100% OP. It was extremely accurate and had a way better ttk than the other weapons.

Except the BR was a horrible "utility" (HEAVY quotations) weapon, any way you put it, and they didn't put Carbines ahead of the BR in any competitive areas, despite the latter being more consistent with a very close kill time to boot. The DMR was a START, and it took them 9 years to get there, but then they showed more of a screw up with bloom, further hampering it. 

The DMR in Halo 4, at least felt like a pseudo Magnum, and was a proper utility weapon (Lacking bloom, remaining consistent and quick to kill), but people thought it was "OP" and thus, 343i buffed the BR and everything else around it to cope (When seriously, it boils down to proper use).

The DMR was OP, not because a fast TTK is bad, but because it was placed in a game with high aim assist and magnetism, coupled with 3 other utilities. Because the game had so many redundant weapons, it had to be balanced to be similar to the other utilities.

Legendary magnum??? What is that??? (Being serious)

H1 Pistol.

If 343 wants to take comp Halo seriously, I expect to see Halo's sandbox turn projectile again in Halo 6 or whatever it's called. Fuck Hitscam.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How was the BR a horrible utility weapon? That's quite the exaggeration. Putting the carbine ahead of the BR at certain ranges would've created more randomness, exactly what people who play for money don't want. The carbine wouldn't be better as a utility weapon it's way too spammy really. Plus again clip size is way too small in relation to how many bullets it takes to kill. Also the DMR in Halo 4 at the beginning was 100% OP. It was extremely accurate and had a way better ttk than the other weapons.

The BR is shit. I'll take the DMR ( with a smaller scope tbh ) over the BR any day. Single shot > Burst

• Upvote (+1) 1

H1 Pistol.

If 343 wants to take comp Halo seriously, I expect to see Halo's sandbox turn projectile again in Halo 6 or whatever it's called. Fuck Hitscam.

Is that in Halo 5?!???

Guys we play on an xbox where bullet magnetism and aim assist pretty much negate the need for projectile. And why are you all under the impression that it needs to be projectile to be a competitive game? That's completely untrue.

How was the BR a horrible utility weapon? That's quite the exaggeration. Putting the carbine ahead of the BR at certain ranges would've created more randomness, exactly what people who play for money don't want. The carbine wouldn't be better as a utility weapon it's way too spammy really. Plus again clip size is way too small in relation to how many bullets it takes to kill.

Let me put it this way. Burst based spread weapon. Very inconsistent and can miss, even if you hit, or hit, even if you miss. It rewards a bad style of play too. The Carbine at least fires straight with little in the way of spread and kills within the same timeframe. Not to mention, it isn't "spammy", it just has a high RoF to make up for its lower damage. 

Like, look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAaljP0jGY

I fire at a guy, standing still, within the BR's optimum red reticle range, and it takes 5 shots to kill, when the BR's a four shot, meaning one shot from a burst had to have missed somewhere. When I have a Carbine, Magnum or DMR, I'm not going to miss at all, however, the BR does. In short, it's horrible for consistency or competitive play. :P

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let me put it this way. Burst based spread weapon. Very inconsistent and can miss, even if you hit, or hit, even if you miss. It rewards a bad style of play too. The Carbine at least fires straight with little in the way of spread and kills within the same timeframe. Not to mention, it isn't "spammy", it just has a high RoF to make up for its lower damage.

Like, look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAaljP0jGY

I fire at a guy, standing still, within the BR's optimum red reticle range, and it takes 5 shots to kill, when the BR's a four shot, meaning one shot from a burst had to have missed somewhere. When I have a Carbine, Magnum or DMR, I'm not going to miss at all, however, the BR does. In short, it's horrible for consistency or competitive play. :P

That's why they upped the damage. Now the Halo 3 BR is an unfair argument because we all know that it was extremely flawed. The carbine had pretty bad spread too though. That whole game was based around not making utility weapons too godly like in H2. If course they went about it the wrong way but it still helped bring up the Halo name.

Because they need to scale the maps for sprint, which is there to make you travel around the maps faster, that are now bigger. It makes perfect sense man!

I know why, I just feel the maps are still a little too big.

I know why, I just feel the maps are still a little too big.

They are way too big. Building maps around sprint negates the reason sprint is in the game. In all makes no sense
  • Upvote (+1) 1

That's why they upped the damage. Now the Halo 3 BR is an unfair argument because we all know that it was extremely flawed. The carbine had pretty bad spread too though. That whole game was based around not making utility weapons too godly like in H2. If course they went about it the wrong way but it still helped bring up the Halo name.

Carbine barely has spread. I used it on the same day I did this weapon test thing, and it was very accurate, even though I was hammering the trigger. I use it more than the BR in Halo 3 for that specific reason.

Carbine barely has spread. I used it on the same day I did this weapon test thing, and it was very accurate, even though I was hammering the trigger. I use it more than the BR in Halo 3 for that specific reason.

Every time I have used the carbine and tested it the bullets fly all over the place. In close to medium range it's not too much of a problem but at longer ranges you won't hit anything. Also it can barely kill one person per clip and burns through ammo like crazy.

Like, look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAaljP0jGY

100% gonna get negged for this (as I have in the past) but you are aiming the h3 BR wrong. You need to lower it towards the upper chest. Yes I am aware your full reticle is perfectly on the dude's head but when you are playing h3 this is not the way to shoot. If you remake that video with you aiming at the upper chest/neck area, I bet you four shot from that distance almost every single time. Not perfect by any means, but the 'h3 BR is trash' meme is blown way out of proportion here. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

100% gonna get negged for this (as I have in the past) but you are aiming the h3 BR wrong. You need to lower it towards the upper chest. Yes I am aware your full reticle is perfectly on the dude's head but when you are playing h3 this is not the way to shoot. If you remake that video with you aiming at the upper chest/neck area, I bet you four shot from that distance almost every single time. Not perfect by any means, but the 'h3 BR is trash' meme is blown way out of proportion here. 

I didn't call it trash, was just saying, despite someone standing still, my reticle not moving, I didn't get the four shot on him. In COMBAT, I'd be aiming for the chest, but in an area, where the enemy isn't moving, and where I can get a perfect headshot aligned, I'm going to aim for the head.

I didn't call it trash, was just saying, despite someone standing still, my reticle not moving, I didn't get the four shot on him. In COMBAT, I'd be aiming for the chest, but in an area, where the enemy isn't moving, and where I can get a perfect headshot aligned, I'm going to aim for the head.

well to be fair sometimes in Ce you could aim exactly on their head and not 3 shot. You usually would have the bottom of your reticle on the top of their head for that reason.

The thing is, the H3 BR is bad because you have to aim it towards the chest.

The spread is so ridiculous that your chances of missing are multiplied as soon as you aim for the head. That's not how it should be. Do you see other shooters punishing players for shooting opponents in the head (a smaller target) when the weapon is meant to be a precision rifle?

• Upvote (+1) 5

If you remake that video with you aiming at the upper chest/neck area, I bet you four shot from that distance almost every single time.

Exactly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

well to be fair sometimes in Ce you could aim exactly on their head and not 3 shot. You usually would have the bottom of your reticle on the top of their head for that reason.

You wouldn't get it if you held the trigger down, yes, because the spread would kill your aim. If you paced your shots, it was guaranteed, unless you were at a distance, or if you missed.

So the gun by design does not want you to shoot at the head or be as accurate as possible?

Yeah it's trash.

• Upvote (+1) 7

You wouldn't get it if you held the trigger down, yes, because the spread would kill your aim. If you paced your shots, it was guaranteed, unless you were at a distance, or if you missed.

That's not what he's talking about. Sometimes the bullets can get pulled into the chest/shoulders if you aim too low on the head. Aiming slightly above the head has been a tactic for a very long time for this reason.

Projectile lends to skillgap. If you are competitive you should want projectile. Hitscan is not that much better for online, do you not remember having to lead the BR in laggy h2 games? Bungie is mediocre at netcode that's why h3 was so bad, not because it was projectile.

I wouldn't say they were mediocre. Halo reach had damn near flawless netcode and H2C was pretty good as well. Halo 3 was truthfully the only halo bungie made with atrocious netcode. Was that due to projectiles? We can't say for sure but evidence is there to support that claim.

Edit: I hope the Halo series stays hitscan because sprint and thruster would be 10x worse without hitscan weapons.

The BR in H5 felt pretty good, world's better than the br from previous halo games. Barley any spread just wished it shot a little faster.

Pretty nervous about ar/pistol starts..the gun has too shallow of a magazine to make it a true utility weapon. 

H1 Pistol.

Hitscan is only bad when you high magnetism and aim-assist. If these things were lowered SIGNIFICANTLY we would still be ok and we'd get the bonus of not having to worry about bad connections affecting bullets.

P.S. IM BACK FROM MY SUSPENSION AHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 

• Upvote (+1) 1