CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This is not 2001 anymore, I play Battlefield and the leading is 100% consistent. That excuse nowadays is wack.

This may not be 2001, but the last mainline BF game(BF4) definitely was not 100 percent consistent when it came to leading or shot registration for a good number of months after release in my experience and I don't know if this has changed. It probably wouldn't have been a lot better with Hitscan either to be honest due to the mess the game was in and shambolic netcode but there must be better examples than battlefield if you're trying to sell projectiles and consistency.

This is not 2001 anymore, I play Battlefield and the leading is 100% consistent. That excuse nowadays is wack.

Considering the aim assist, strong ADS and dedicated server support I don't doubt that. And most utility weapons in Halo are single shot/burst. All this projectile vs hit scan crap, if the shooting has a good skill gap and little inconsistency that's all I need. Not sure projectile can do that for everyone however. 

Considering the aim assist, strong ADS and dedicated server support I don't doubt that. And most utility weapons in Halo are single shot/burst. All this projectile vs hit scan crap, if the shooting has a good skill gap and little inconsistency that's all I need. Not sure projectile can do that for everyone however. 

Projectile would probably shaft you AU guys if there is no dedis in said game.

Honestly, you guys really need to rebel against your government. The ruling over there is utterly despicable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought it was impossible to have projectile weapons and Hitscan weapons in the same game, maybe I'm wrong though. Are you sure that they're projectile weapons? Now I'm confused. If there are projectile weapons in Halo 5 than that makes me wonder while they didn't make single shot weapons such as the pistol, DMR, and sniper rifle projectile weapons also.

I'm not sure if this post received an explanation, but I am fairly sure that true hitscan does not exist in Halo 5, as it didn't in The Four and probably didn't in H2A. Instead, bullets from "hitscan" weapons are set to infinite speed, and there isn't a raycast check-collision system like in the past. Regardless, I don't see why there is any confusion anyway because I thought Halo 2 and Reach had true hitscan as well as projectile weapons. Yeah, I don't know what you're trying to say.

Projectile lends to skillgap. If you are competitive you should want projectile. Hitscan is not that much better for online, do you not remember having to lead the BR in laggy h2 games? Bungie is mediocre at netcode that's why h3 was so bad, not because it was projectile.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So when should I be on the lookout for this Gamescom announcement stuff?

Possibly tomorrow during the Xbox Briefing, more on Friday during the invitational.

Want the bad news or the good news first?

Bad news: They're going with AR/Pistol starts across the board, at least at launch.

Good news (somewhat): The Pistol's recoil has been removed, and it's range extended. From Warzone footage, it's just a slightly less ranged DMR.

dumb dumb dumb.

where is this posted and confirmed at? would lime to see official source for myself.

Projectile lends to skillgap. If you are competitive you should want projectile. Hitscan is not that much better for online, do you not remember having to lead the BR in laggy h2 games? Bungie is mediocre at netcode that's why h3 was so bad, not because it was projectile.

I'll always be voting for hitscan, Unless we suddenly have world wide coverage of no lag internet where it plays like LAN when it connects from UK to USA.

I'll always be considering the worst case scenarios.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll always be voting for hitscan, Unless we suddenly have world wide coverage of no lag internet where it plays like LAN when it connects from UK to USA.

I'll always be considering the worst case scenarios.

Fully agreed, nothing like point blanking an American with a shotgun only for none of it to register.

Unless we have fully regional matchmaking, or at least selectable dedi-servers like Dota, then hitscan is the only way online can work fairly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No reason to not have projectile. You instantly widen the skillgap of any game drastically just by having it.

And inconsistency. H5 doesn't have any peer to peer but I doubt we won't connect to some shoddy servers. I find projectile spread varies depending on connection, that's what I don't like about it. Low aim assist and reasonably high magnetism should counter bad connection with hitscan but tbh I really don't care all that much. I just don't see why it has to be projectile, it just seems to be h3 worship but batchford made mentions over BF4 which I don't disagree with. That's fun, I just don't see the necessity in Halo because the current aiming in H5 seems solid enough for me, of course you can always increase the skillgap but it only goes so far with your shot in Halo. Not the same in other games. 

dumb dumb dumb.

where is this posted and confirmed at? would lime to see official source for myself.

We are currently focused on AR/Magnum and the Magnum has been buffed considerably. IMO this is the best the Magnum has felt in Halo since at least CE (if not ever).

I think they overloaded their packet-based system with too much information. Imagine if the BR shot a single completely straight bullet instead of three bullets, each with its own randomly generated trajectory. Halo 3 could have been golden, with a claustrophobic FoV, but still, golden.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm all for Projectile. I'd take projectile over hitscan anyday. Probbly what made me love H3 so much. That satisfaction you get with a perfect 4-shot.

Projectiles, especially with BRs, don't work in games like Halo.

The time to kill is way too high. In a game like battlefield 4, with a low kill time, you could be off your target and adjust and still have plenty of time to kill before the target gets away.

You don't have that time in Halo, especially with sprint.

If Bungie couldn't properly code non hitscan netcode, I don't even want 343 to try it.

Forcing people to tie one hand behind their back when the play would increase the skill gap, too. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Projectiles, especially with BRs, don't work in games like Halo.

The time to kill is way too high. In a game like battlefield 4, with a low kill time, you could be off your target and adjust and still have plenty of time to kill before the target gets away.

You don't have that time in Halo, especially with sprint.

If Bungie couldn't properly code non hitscan netcode, I don't even want 343 to try it.

Forcing people to tie one hand behind their back when the play would increase the skill gap, too. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

It worked in Halo 1? You should attempt to fix the problem, not find a half assed solution for it.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

this will be tough to type on my phone, but basically its this, unless they make the h5 pistol buffed exactly like the hce one... the game is gonna always come down to a race for rifles.

Id say more but i cant stand replying to losts on my phone and im at work and work blocks this site.

It worked in Halo 1? You should attempt to fix the problem, not find a half assed solution for it.

Well Halo 1 was all split screen and LAN though. On MCC it's a very fast projectile you really don't lead that much. I could've sworn you had to lead a lot more on OG.

With the little-to-no auto-aim and reduced bullet magnetism (since the beta) that we've seen in recent Warzone gameplay videos, I think hitscan will be fine. If you have hitscan and a lot of auto-aim then the guns will be easy to shoot, but hitscan with no auto-aim/low magnetism is very different. I think 4 shots will feel pretty rewarding in the final version of H5, definitely more so than an H4 or H2A four shot (even though an H2A 4 shot is a pretty amazing feat with the poor MCC connections but that's a separate discussion lol)

this will be tough to type on my phone, but basically its this, unless they make the h5 pistol buffed exactly like the hce one... the game is gonna always come down to a race for rifles.

Id say more but i cant stand replying to losts on my phone and im at work and work blocks this site.

Having a 3 shot pistol with 4v4 arena seems kinda iffy to me.

Having a 3 shot pistol with 4v4 arena seems kinda iffy to me.

The CE Magnum may be a pickup in the full game. Quinn, Josh, and the newest Sprint series have been hinting it.

The CE Magnum may be a pickup in the full game. Quinn, Josh, and the newest Sprint series have been hinting it.

When it's being classed as a Legendary weapon like the Prophets Bane and the SPNKR Rocket Launcher, it won't be an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1