CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So many people speculating that he was playing a PC version of Halo 5 when it's probably just the film guys misundestanding Halo 5.

They probably knew but didn't want to buy an Xbox controller

I think you're missing the point of my post though.

I had amazing experiences as a kid growing up with splitscreen, I'm sad that it needs to go too. But thats the thing, it does need to go in order for the new campaign experiences and level design. Again, the devs have said that.

Bringing your Xbox over to a friends house is probably easier than bringing a 60 of vodka over, so I dont understand how this isn't a solution. Of course its more convenient to play splitscreen, but bringing your own Xbox is NOT a big deal. Maybe you still own a tube TV?

How does bringing your system over to someone's house cost them 500$? They already should own the console if they are fans of the game. Literally nobody I know still uses splitscreen. We all take our Xbox's to eachothers house and it isn't a problem whatsoever.

But that STILL isn't even my point.

My point is that Halo 5's only current press is the whole splitscreen thing. Google Halo 5, and you'll see Polygon, Gamespot, IGN etc. all talking about the "issue" instead of more important things. It seems the only thing people are tlking about in public about this game is the lack of an obsolete feature. Its killing the hype for H5 and it sucks.

I feel for those who used it a lot, but there is a greater need for H5 to push the envelope and removing splitscreen was a tough decision 343 had to make. If they hadn't removed SS, then all the websites would probably be talking about how H5 fails to innovate, or how the graphics are lackluster, etc. You can't win it seems.

The problem is that things like campaign AI and "pretty map design" is what takes away split screen. As someone who mainly focuses on multiplayer I find it annoying that I'm losing that way of playing completely for something I don't care about. If they offered me a disc that had no campaign at all, hell even no warzone, for a copy that had only Arena with split screen capabilities, I'd take it. Campaign is a one time thing. You play it, say "cool story" and then proceed to play multiplayer for the duration if it's lifetime.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Campaign is a one time thing. You play it, say "cool story" and then proceed to play multiplayer for the duration if it's lifetime.

This is how I feel about all the Halo games, especially the recently 'remastered' MCC content. Why have they spent so much time/budget on campaign for me to go through it once and go "huh, cool." when theres so many other things that need to be addressed. I understand some people love campaign, but surely they are fewer in number and are putting in less time to campaign than people are into multiplayer?

This is how I feel about all the Halo games, especially the recently 'remastered' MCC content. Why have they spent so much time/budget on campaign for me to go through it once and go "huh, cool." when theres so many other things that need to be addressed. I understand some people love campaign, but surely they are fewer in number and are putting in less time to campaign than people are into multiplayer?

Because Halo is a narrative experience, thats why we have comics, books, web series, and TV shows, the story and it's universe actually matter

A large % of people who buy Halo never even touch the multiplayer.

The Halo campaigns are ridiculously popular.

There would be such a bigger shitstorm if 343 Industries confirmed the next Halo title wouldn't have a campaign.

There would be such a bigger shitstorm if 343 Industries confirmed the next Halo title wouldn't have a campaign.

I can see communities like Haloruns be furious 

I would not buy a new mainline Halo if it was multiplayer only.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A large % of people who buy Halo never even touch the multiplayer.

The Halo campaigns are ridiculously popular.

Again with the never touch argument. How do we know that they never played multiplayer? Can 343 see what everyone did while offline?

I understand why the general population needs a campaign but it seems to be a trend nowadays with campaignless games (Titanfall, Desstiny). Sure the whole giant environment thing is cool but after the first time it becames the norm. Just like 1080p. You go "Wow this game looks awesome" and then you just sorta forget. What I don't like is campaign being the reason the whole game has to suffer. Plus the people who play campaign probably log in a lot less hours on Halo than the multiplayer fans. And now Multiplayer is losing things that shouldn't be lost.

Again with the never touch argument. How do we know that they never played multiplayer? Can 343 see what everyone did while offline?

The point is players put many hours into the game. I have literally days into the campaign. I noticed one player had the skulls emblem, so I clicked on him and he had over 400 hours into campaign alone.

The halo campaign is the only campaign I have ever played and enjoyed. I've tried cod and a few others, they just don't do it for me and most of my friends agree.

I would guarantee the amount of criticism halo 5 is getting because of no split screen would be at least quadrupled if there was absolutely no campaign.

I don't know, that's the stat they gave though and they have no reason to lie about it.

Also I can't see people playing all that much multiplayer if they're offline.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know, that's the stat they gave though and they have no reason to lie about it.

Also I can't see people playing all that much multiplayer if they're offline.

The same way they can play campaign offline over and over.

The same way they can play campaign offline over and over.

So typically by yourself?

And obviously if they're offline then they're irrelevant to the stats being talked about since there's no way to tell unless they take a survey or something 

I understand why the general population needs a campaign but it seems to be a trend nowadays with campaignless games (Titanfall, Desstiny).

And how did those games turn out? Destiny was the laughing stock of the industry for months and a complete dissapointment, and nobody gave a shit about Titanfall after 2 weeks

The point is players put many hours into the game. I have literally days into the campaign. I noticed one player had the skulls emblem, so I clicked on him and he had over 400 hours into campaign alone.

The halo campaign is the only campaign I have ever played and enjoyed. I've tried cod and a few others, they just don't do it for me and most of my friends agree.

I would guarantee the amount of criticism halo 5 is getting because of no split screen would be at least quadrupled if there was absolutely no campaign.

I'm almost certain multiplayer play time > Campaign play time altogether. I'm not arguing campaign being removed. I understand it's importance. I'm arguing against that being the reason other things have to be cut. Here let's put it this way:

You are a hardcore campaign fanatic. You really don't like multiplayer matchmaking you're all about the story. But wait! Campaign had to be shortened to add more arena maps and gametypes! So as someone who couldn't care less about multiplayer you feel cheated. Your favorite aspect of the game is suffering for something you don't care about. That's what it feels like now.

And how did those games turn out? Destiny was the laughing stock of the industry for months and a complete dissapointment, and nobody gave a shit about Titanfall after 2 weeks

Let's take a look at Destiny and Titanfall's success real quick. Both those games were huge.

And how did those games turn out? Destiny was the laughing stock of the industry for months and a complete dissapointment,

Yet still one of the most played games today. It had PvE content with a "story" like a campaign would anyways so why it was tossed in as an example is beyond me

So typically by yourself?

And obviously if they're offline then they're irrelevant to the stats being talked about since there's no way to tell unless they take a survey or something

But how many people are playing offline? There could be a huge number. So looking at total sales and just cutting out the number that played online and saying "they only bought it for campaign" would be a huge misrepresentation. That's my point.

But how many people are playing offline? There could be a huge number. So looking at total sales and just cutting out the number that played online and saying "they only bought it for campaign" would be a huge misrepresentation. That's my point.

I feel like you won't get much MP in when playing a game offline unless you live with people willing to play and own more than one controller