CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

there was not a single game on console that played like CE so hush. it borrowed some things from other games on pc but used them in entirely different ways. halo 4 simply took features straight from cod with no spin what so ever. you only called it a stupid question because deep down you know if ce played like shit, no amount of ease of access or cost effieciency is going to change that or make people want to play it.

Why does it playing well and having split screen have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't we say good gameplay AND split screen made Halo. I'm not a split screen lover or hater, but both of your points combined is what put Xbox on the map with Sony

And I don't care about the no split screen for H5. Yes, split screen was bigger for me back in 2001 bec I was a kid and was the only one with an Xbox, so my friends came to my house to play.

I know Holmes has said 343 is open to a no sprint playlist, and that the base speed has been increased, (it's like night and day from my beta gameplay to that Warzone footage, and the strafe is great) but realistically, would it play well at all without forged maps designed for that style of play? A lot of us here want something like that, but wouldn't it actually drag the game down if we played without the settings that maps are built around?

Why does it playing well and having split screen have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't we say good gameplay AND split screen made Halo. I'm not a split screen lover or hater, but both of your points combined is what put Xbox on the map with Sony

And I don't care about the no split screen for H5. Yes, split screen was bigger for me back in 2001 bec I was a kid and was the only one with an Xbox, so my friends came to my house to play.

The argument was him saying split screen wasn't important. That's how it all started. All I was doing was telling him that it was extremely important.

I know Holmes has said 343 is open to a no sprint playlist, and that the base speed has been increased, (it's like night and day from my beta gameplay to that Warzone footage, and the strafe is great) but realistically, would it play well at all without forged maps designed for that style of play? A lot of us here want something like that, but wouldn't it actually drag the game down if we played without the settings that maps are built around?

Would this no sprint playlist still have thruster, slide, and mantle you think? Would it be a healthy addition with no sprint or nah?

Sick and tired of all the fuss both Halo fans and the press/media are throwing over the whole split-screen thing. Seriously, if this happened in 2001-2007 I could see there being a huge issue. 

They got rid of splitscreen so that the game could be bigger and push the technology. Because of split-screen's removal, level designers for campaign have entirely new opportunities for encounters. Designing the game around split-screen completely limits the experiences and graphics that the game can have. Also, it may sound rude, but I'm glad I won't be dealing with guests anymore.

I'm not going to be ignorant and say people shouldn't be disappointed that its gone, but for _____ sakes calm it down. Sure, there are niche players who play splitscreen with a buddy once in a while. However, losing all kinds of potential from the entire game just to allow a "once in a while" experience to continue existing is just illogical.

I would rather a game got rid of splitscreen than gimp my entire experience with the game. If I really need to have my friend sitting next to me while playing, I'll just have him bring over his monitor and we can both have our own full screen. I already do this on the off day that I choose to stay inside and game with a friend rather than going out and doing something else. I HATED playing splitscreen with friends when trying to play. Nostalgia aside,  its a shitty experience. Bad FPS, downgraded graphics, multiple sound channels and a tiny screen. I'm especially confused as to all the complaints here, coming from a competitive community. Playing splitscreen is a horrible experience when trying to play even semi-competitively.  If anyone here takes playing with a friend even slightly seriously, just bring your own shit. Or, you know, go get drunk or golf or something. Don't slander the game because you can't play with a friend on a shitty small screen with no directional sound, once a year.

Here come the negs though, but hey, lets keep spreading this negativity throughout the media because of one obsolete feature that the devs took out to provide 99% of us with  better experience. Seriously, is Halo 5 really going to be known as "The Halo that removed splitscreen"? Whenever I Google Halo 5, all that ever comes up anymore is the bullshit splitscreen complaints from a vocal minority and corporate sites. Some people need to roll with the times, and I don't care how ignorant that may seem. And yeah, lets ask 343 to just change their entire vision for the game to support splitscreen. The people complaining about this are the same people that complained when LIVE didn't support dial-up connections. The industry needs to move forward, and they are trying to push and innovate in Halo 5 so that we actually get something NEW. Spltscreen is holding that back.

I dislike almost everything 343 have done since their inception, but this is so irritating to see people question the decision. I'm not being ignorant, I'm just being realistic here.

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Sick and tired of all the fuss both Halo fans and the press/media are throwing over the whole split-screen thing. Seriously, if this happened in 2001-2007 I could see there being a huge issue.

They got rid of splitscreen so that the game could be bigger and push the technology. Because of split-screen's removal, level designers for campaign have entirely new opportunities for encounters. Designing the game around split-screen completely limits the experiences and graphics that the game can have.

I'm not going to be ignorant and say people shouldn't be disappointed that its gone, but for _____ sakes calm it down. Sure, there are niche players who play splitscreen with a buddy once in a while. However, losing all kinds of potential from the entire game just to allow a "once in a while" experience to continue existing is just illogical.

I would rather a game got rid of splitscreen than gimp my entire experience with the game. If I really need to have my friend sitting next to me while playing, I'll just have him bring over his monitor and we can both have our own full screen. I already do this on the off day that I choose to stay inside and game with a friend rather than going out and doing something that doesn't involve rotting in a basement. I HTED playing splitscreen with friends when trying to play. Its a shitty experience. I'm especially confused as to all the complaints here, coming from a competitive community. Playing splitscreen is a horrible experience when trying to play semi-competitively. If anyone here takes playing with a friend even slightly seriously, just bring your own shit. Or, you know, go get drunk or golf or something. Don't slander the game because you can't play with a friend on a shitty small screen with no directional sound, once a year.

Here come the negs though, but hey, lets keep spreading this negativity throughout the media because of one obsolete feature that the devs took out to provide 99% of us with better experience. Seriously, is Halo 5 really going to be known as "The Halo that removed splitscreen"? Whenever I Google Halo 5, all that ever comes up anymore is the bullshit splitscreen complaints from a vocal minority and corporate sites.

I dislike almost everything 343 have done since their inception, but this is nothing. I'm no being ignorant, I'm just being realistic here.

You literally can't play anything locally with a buddy at all. Ever. In the entire span that Halo 5 will be out you will never be able to play with a friend together. That is huge.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

They got rid of splitscreen so that the game could be bigger and push the technology. Because of split-screen's removal, level designers for campaign have entirely new opportunities for encounters. Designing the game around split-screen completely limits the experiences and graphics that the game can have.

I would rather a game got rid of splitscreen than gimp my entire experience with the game. If I really need to have my friend sitting next to me while playing, I'll just have him bring over his monitor and we can both have our own full screen. I already do this on the off day that I choose to stay inside and game with a friend rather than going out and doing something that doesn't involve rotting in a basement. I HTED playing splitscreen with friends when trying to play. Its a shitty experience. I'm especially confused as to all the complaints here, coming from a competitive community. Playing splitscreen is a horrible experience when trying to play semi-competitively. If anyone here takes playing with a friend even slightly seriously, just bring your own shit. Or, you know, go get drunk or golf or something. Don't slander the game because you can't play with a friend on a shitty small screen with no directional sound, once a year.

Here come the negs though, but hey, lets keep spreading this negativity throughout the media because of one obsolete feature that the devs took out to provide 99% of us with better experience. Seriously, is Halo 5 really going to be known as "The Halo that removed splitscreen"? Whenever I Google Halo 5, all that ever comes up anymore is the bullshit splitscreen complaints from a vocal minority and corporate sites.

I dislike almost everything 343 have done since their inception, but this is nothing. I'm no being ignorant, I'm just being realistic here.

You are one self righteous man
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

see i can agree with that because it's reasonable. but change that to good gameplay, splitscreen, lan, good story, good level design and i'd agree even more.

there was not a single game on console that played like CE so hush. it borrowed some things from other games on pc but used them in entirely different ways. halo 4 simply took features straight from cod with no spin what so ever. you only called it a stupid question because deep down you know if ce played like shit, no amount of ease of access or cost effieciency is going to change that or make people want to play it.

It wasn't one or the other. An amazing multiplayer that has an expensive and annoying barrier to entry won't go anywhere.

Halos' features are diverse but also compliment each other. That's been its strength from the beginning. Removing something that so effectively encourages and facilitates the multiplayer aspect of the game would've crippled CEs rise to become the king of multiplayer on Xbox.

It wasn't one or the other. An amazing multiplayer that has an expensive and annoying barrier to entry won't go anywhere.

Halos' features are diverse but also compliment each other. That's been its strength from the beginning. Removing something that so effectively encourages and facilitates the multiplayer aspect of the game would've crippled CEs rise to become the king of multiplayer on Xbox.

That's all I was trying to say

Would this no sprint playlist still have thruster, slide, and mantle you think? Would it be a healthy addition with no sprint or nah?

No slide without sprint, and clamber ruins a good amount of jumps. I could see thruster existing in the playlist, but even then we can't shoot with it.

see i can agree with that because it's reasonable. but change that to good gameplay, splitscreen, lan, good story, good level design and i'd agree even more.

See I agree. I was just saying that split screen was very important
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I dislike almost everything 343 have done since their inception, but this is so irritating to see people question the decision. I'm not being ignorant, I'm just being realistic here.

90% of people who buy Halo buy it for the campaign. Just because it ain't great for comp. MP, doesn't mean it's useless.

I'm sure anyone here who plays campaign has fond memories or traditions of playing the newest Halo campaign w/ a sibling, spouse, parent, or best friend. And now that's gone. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

90% of people who buy Halo buy it for the campaign. Just because it ain't great for comp. MP, doesn't mean it's useless.

I'm sure anyone here who plays campaign has fond memories or traditions of playing the newest Halo campaign w/ a sibling, spouse, parent, or best friend. And now that's gone.

You think 90% of people who play Halo play it for Campaign?

You think 90% of people who play Halo play it for Campaign?

There's a stat somewhere which showed that more people bought Halo for the campaign than multiplayer.

There's a stat somewhere which showed that more people bought Halo for the campaign than multiplayer.

How in the world do you validate those results though? How many people were asked? Where were they asked? There are a lot of variables

How in the world do you validate those results though? How many people were asked? Where were they asked? There are a lot of variables

343 released those results. They can see if someone play campaign or not. 

343 released those results. They can see if someone play campaign or not.

playing campaign and buying Halo specifically for Campaign are 2 completely different things.

So because of your nostalgia for games that were out in the early 2000's, you don't want Halo to move forward and be free of the countless limitations of splitscreen? I have "fond memories" of buying CD's which came with cover art and lyrics, but I don't expect the entire music industry to be held back by that technology. Even then, if you want to play with a firned in the same room, just bring over a monitor and Xbox if that experience is so important. Thats what I do. So don't say that entire experience "is GONE", and cut the drama.

If you think 90% of people buy the game for campaign then you need to check your logic.

95% of the time people are playing multiplayer after they beat campaign, and are playing it on their own Xbox, alone. This isn't 2001. 

Having splitscreen makes the devs change the entire way campaign is designed, it gimps graphics, and it holds back features. The devs have explained this countless times yet people are still complaining. So no, its not just about it being shitty for comp play. Its shitty for the entire game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

playing campaign and buying Halo specifically for Campaign are 2 completely different things.

There was a number. Many Halo Players never touched the multiplayer. 

So because of your nostalgia for games that were out in the early 2000's, you don't want Halo to move forward and be free of the countless limitations of splitscreen? I have "fond memories" of buying CD's which came with cover art and lyrics, but I don't expect the entire music industry to be held back by that technology. Even then, if you want to play with a firned in the same room, just bring over a monitor and Xbox if that experience is so important. Thats what I do.

If you think 90% of people buy the game for campaign then you need to check your logic.

95% of the time people are playing multiplayer after they beat campaign, and are playing it on their own Xbox, alone. This isn't 2001.

Having splitscreen makes the devs change the entire way campaign is designed, it gimps graphics, and it holds back features. The devs have explained this countless times yet people are still complaining. So no, its not just about it being shitty for comp play. Its shitty for the entire game.

The point is that we are moving backwards. There are people who can only play split screen. There are many scenarios where people use split screen. Now those people are screwed. So because they are a minority they can't be upset? Guess what bud AR starts and casual settings are the majority. So should we all have to use those settings because we the "11%" are the minority in this case. It's just dumb that they are cutting features instead of adding them.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

There was a number. Many Halo Players never touched the multiplayer.

Well many people can't or don't play online I get that. Campaign is always gonna have more people play it because it's available to everyone and has difficulty options. That doesn't mean campaign is the main selling point though. Halo 3 shows us that.