CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

OCD alert, hopefully they have orange variants of the reticle.

linda-hud-487e6a801f434039aea510fb6442bf

First thing I noticed and I'm glad it's bothering someone else.

Glad as in I hope it gets fixed.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The article also has an image of Locke's HUD with the same grenade count, so my guess is that it is a change applying generally, though it is impossible to say with certainty without confirmation from 343i (@@Sal1ent):

locke-hud-b2f0f42c9b5549a980add044cc7932

Well damn.

I'm guessing they did it due to the increased enemy count. But like you said, some confirmation would ease things.

We will be playing out of the box settings for Season 1.

The end of S1 is the time to strike for the removal of Sprint and other tweaks.

Do you think we have a chance?

Josh Holmes said they would take feedback to the mechanics seriously in Saucey's interview. I believe that there is a chance.

The pros would have to be vocal about it, just like they were about Ricochet, although that was insignificant compared to having no sprint/no abilities.

halo-5-guardians-level-9b95e541b94a47319

Not going to lie even though this is part of the campaign. I feel like this would be a fun arena based multiplayer map. Especially for FFA.

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo-5-guardians-level-9b95e541b94a47319

Not going to lie even though this is part of the campaign. I feel like this would be a fun arena based multiplayer map. Especially for FFA.

No.

You're letting the pretty visuals and art style get the best of you. If someone were to replicate that exact geometry in forge out of white blocks you'd realize how poor that would be as a map.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Part of me thinks the offer was just for PR, but I also believe there's a serious chance. Our interests will be drowned out during most of Season 3 (the first season in Halo 5), by pros and normal players alike, but the population will decrease, I don't know by how much. There will be a time when our voices are heard again. There will be pro players who are posititive about the game and say they enjoy the settings, but mainly so that they maintain enthusiasm, which will help them compete better. By the end of Season 3, though, people will be tired from the last five months and the last five years of competitive Halo, and even if removing Sprint among other things barely improves the scene, it will be a message to 343 that we will not tolerate the same things in Halo 6. That's something we all can get behind.

OCD alert, hopefully they have orange variants of the reticle.

linda-hud-487e6a801f434039aea510fb6442bf

OCD noted, alerted and resolved.

ho60nlD.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

No.

You're letting the pretty visuals and art style get the best of you. If someone were to replicate that exact geometry in forge out of white blocks you'd realize how poor that would be as a map.

Obviously the visuals help a great deal but I've seen worse maps. As a playable space with H5's mechanics in mind I don't think it's too bad.

No.

I don't think one screenshot is enough to judge either way really.

Halo isn't in a bad state, all things considered. It has more esports orgs supporting it that it ever has, and the orgs and pushing pros to create content. The main problem it has is how bad MCC was at delivering, and the fact that H2A is well, to be quite frank, straight up boring.

There's not much to learn from watching top teams go at it that hasn't been covered with other games. The fact that the game isn't hard to shoot in also makes it half as entertaining to watch. The meta is just so watered down that it makes people not want to look into videos or streams outside of just to keep up with their favorite personalities.

In contrast, if the game was a brand new title, with features and mechanics never seen before, then people would be far more compelled to watch top teams in order to learn from them and improve their own game. Watching out of the box strategies and learning brand new maps is far more entertaining and appealing. Watching Snipedown hit an overkill is a million times better when we know it's hard to shoot the sniper. This translates into much bigger numbers on YouTube and Twitch.

In ANY other situation, the current context would translate to growth, but it's just MCC/H2A that ruined all of it. There's nothing to gain out of a super watered-down remake and a game that overall didn't work for months. H5 is in a better position no matter how much some might consider the game mechanics questionable.

I respectfully disagree - Halo is not in a good state, outside of "there is a new one coming."  Of course when there is a new Halo, there is a ton of hype, and tons of support, etc etc.  These esports orgs jumped on board because with the release of MCC and all the huge esports support promises that 343 made - they figured they would stand to gain a profit from the Mircosoft money machine.  Whether they will stay around post H5 release is yet to be seen.  

Also, I doubt any of these esports orgs are pushing their pro's to release consistent content. Sure, there are the one or two that still do make content, but in reality Halo Pro content has been left by the wayside (and this is a topic that has been discussed numerous times in these forums).  To me, viewer #'s are the definitive factor, and have you been to twitch at all since the websites inception? Or how about during Reach/H4/MCC? There are literally more people watching "farming simulator" than Halo.   The interest is just not there right now, and has only continued to dwindle through the years.  So the whole, "We have a broken MCC, the launch killed the viewers, etc." excuse is bullcrap - viewership has been atrocious way before 343 killed Halo. 

Viewers = interest = support = sponsors = MONEY.  Everything goes back to viewership.    So sorry, but in my eyes Halo is far from a "good" place.

• Upvote (+1) 2

343 should treat the first 3 weeks as a second "beta" like phase, collect relevant feedback and make the appropriate changes. if kill times stay this long, they're going to be a problem that needs to be fixed, the same thing happened with halo 4, but with all the abilities it's even more imperative that we get back to beta kill times, or even slightly faster.

Pistol: .9

Dmr: 1.3

Br/carbine: 1.2

Autos autos should hang around 1.1

• Upvote (+1) 1

IMO Halo 5 is diluting the weapon sandbox way too much with all these precision weapons that almost do the exact same thing, with kill times that are different enough to cause some frustrating deaths. Oh how I miss a utility weapon.

IMO Halo 5 is diluting the weapon sandbox way too much with all these precision weapons that almost do the exact same thing, with kill times that are different enough to cause some frustrating deaths. Oh how I miss a utility weapon.

it's been a problem since halo 2, honestly would cut the br and carbine, keep the dmr and pistol.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like it would be 100% better if they didn't try and force every weapon into the multiplayer because it has a use in the Campaign. 

Imagine if Halo 4 didn't feature most of the Promethean weapons in the MP. We wouldn't have had three sniper rifles (two if you don't want to call the Beam Rifle a sniper), three Rocket Launchers and four precision weapons - Carbine, BR, DMR and LightRifle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

it's been a problem since halo 2, honestly would cut the br and carbine, keep the dmr and pistol.

I agree actually. At this point the br fires so fast it may as well be a dmr anyways. The carbine requires too much trigger mashing and doesn't have the clip size to really be competitive anyways.

I feel like it would be 100% better if they didn't try and force every weapon into the multiplayer because it has a use in the Campaign.

Imagine if Halo 4 didn't feature most of the Promethean weapons in the MP. We wouldn't have had three sniper rifles (two if you don't want to call the Beam Rifle a sniper), three Rocket Launchers and four precision weapons - Carbine, BR, DMR and LightRifle.

Exactly. Arena should be it's own thing completely separate from the campaign. I don't like that when you get into a gunfight you have a higher possibility of fighting someone who has a different precision weapon that is better in that scenario than you.

I don't think we need every weapon in campaign either, halo ce had every weapon in both campaign and mp. The sandbox should've been cut down after h4 not expanded.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Again, yes, the competitive community feels this way and their hoppers have historically been edited to include a smaller more easily balanced weapon sandbox as such. However, a lot of players do value weapon diversity. 

Vanilla Team Slayer actually shines with a larger weapon sandbox. If you have multiple weapon variants on a map in an AR/Pistol gametype, especially when they are viable and/or fill a certain need (even if they cater differently to certain niche scenarios), you create better map flow and encourage  wider zones of control. You give players an option on how to gain and hold map control instead of Sanctuary syndrome where you have 3 of 4 players rushing the sniper rifle spawn. 

As a primarily competitive player, I don't see how this is a problem. I see people on this board consistently talking about "skill gap" but I don't understand how a more nuanced weapon sandbox does anything but raise the skill ceiling. It forces a player to evaluate their "match up" and make game play decisions based upon that information. That's no different than a MOBA - a genre I think we can all agree provide some of the highest competition in e-Sports. Certain Heroes or Champions just don't do the same amount of damage as another under certain circumstances. A good player recognizes this and adjusts  their play in order to create an environment that does cater to their strengths (through map pressure, adjusted positioning, etc). They don't just go HAM, try to Soar and Four, then complain about the champion pool/weapon sandbox. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm growing sick of the utility weapon style of older Halos, playing with a BR 90% of the time grows rather dull. So I welcome the change H5 is bringing, the weapon diversity was actually one of my favourite aspects of the beta. Even if they function fairly similarly, having a weapon which feels, looks and sounds different makes a massive difference.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Again, yes, the competitive community feels this way and their hoppers have historically been edited to include a smaller more easily balanced weapon sandbox as such. However, a lot of players do value weapon diversity.

Vanilla Team Slayer actually shines with a larger weapon sandbox. If you have multiple weapon variants on a map in an AR/Pistol gametype, especially when they are viable and/or fill a certain need (even if they cater differently to certain niche scenarios), you create better map flow and encourage wider zones of control. You give players an option on how to gain and hold map control instead of Sanctuary syndrome where you have 3 of 4 players rushing the sniper rifle spawn.

As a primarily competitive player, I don't see how this is a problem.

Yes in normal playlists diversity is "fun" to a majority of the players. However, they are trying to keep the competitive side of the game as close to vanilla as possible. So every game in every playlist will have the same sort of random feel to it.

I'm growing sick of the utility weapon style of older Halos, playing with a BR 90% of the time grows rather dull. So I welcome the change H5 is bringing, the weapon diversity was actually one of my favourite aspects of the beta. Even if they function fairly similarly, having a weapon which feels, looks and sounds different makes a massive difference.

BR IS LOVE! BR IS LIFE! :kappa:
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Vanilla Team Slayer actually shines with a larger weapon sandbox. If you have multiple weapon variants on a map in an AR/Pistol gametype, especially when they are viable and/or fill a certain need (even if they cater differently to certain niche scenarios), you create better map flow and encourage  wider zones of control. You give players an option on how to gain and hold map control instead of Sanctuary syndrome where you have 3 of 4 players rushing the sniper rifle spawn. 

As a primarily competitive player, I don't see how this is a problem. I see people on this board consistently talking about "skill gap" but I don't understand how a more nuanced weapon sandbox does anything but raise the skill ceiling. It forces a player to evaluate their "match up" and make game play decisions based upon that information. That's no different than a MOBA - a genre I think we can all agree provide some of the highest competition in e-Sports. Certain Heroes or Champions just don't do the same amount of damage as another under certain circumstances. A good player recognizes this and adjusts  their play in order to create an environment that does cater to their strengths (through map pressure, adjusted positioning, etc). They don't just go HAM, try to Soar and Four, then complain about the champion pool/weapon sandbox. 

Or u can use UT as an example of wide diverse sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While we're talking about weapon diversity and number ingame and on-map, is there any reason rifles with different niches are a bad thing? With the AR + Pistol focus, this will encourage movement to get different weapons that serve different roles. What's the problem with this?