CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

My feelings are mixed about it. It is really annoying when competent players back out against my team, ruining a potentially good game, for fear of losing rank. But it is also super annoying getting matched against bronze kids and playing hide n seek with the one kid that doesn't quit out.

The party system shouldn't stop 343 from setting the parameter:

"After players have been locked in, exiting the lobby/game in any method results in a loss"

You could dashboard in H3, but you'd still get a loss.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I wish I wasn't excited for this game after the debauchery of MCC but I can't lie I had fun with the beta. Also warzone looks fun I always wanted something like that in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Which of these were popular at the time?

- well integrated vehicles in third person

- one touch grenades and melees

- regen health

- two weapon limit (fantastic idea for strategy and for console play), and no halo was not copying CS nor did CS popularize it

- utility weapon

- plasma pistol and needler. Heck, most Covenant-related elements (including the enemies themselves) were unique at the time

- degenerating powerup (OS drains over time)

- radar (good or bad, halo popularized it for FPS)

- expansive single-player environments

- sandbox-style gameplay in FPS; most other shooters (and games in general) were linear and had limited variation in multiple playthroughs

You couldn't back out in Halo 5 (normally). Once you found players, you were locked in.

Or I have a really bad memory.

Yes you could :P Party >> Leave Multiplayer. Works with every game on Xbone.

Yes you could :P Party >> Leave Multiplayer. Works with every game on Xbone.

Hence the "(normally)".
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The party system shouldn't stop 343 from setting the parameter:

"After players have been locked in, exiting the lobby/game in any method results in a loss"

You could dashboard in H3, but you'd still get a loss.

Unless your teammates won.

OMG post of the year  :goat:

1f9287473b.png

:flames:

You know I really despise this trend of bluntly using diseases as an insult but I Think I have to make an exeption...that was well played :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

the first halo was the exact same way, not one feature in ce was new, and was certainly a modern shooter at the time.

Uh... Just quickly off the top of my head:

• 4 player split screen PLUS system link on a console
  • Pressing a button to melee instead of cycling to your melee weapon
  • 2 weapon limit instead of carrying 10 guns at a time and cycling through them
  • Single button press to grenade instead of having to select your grenade
  • A recharging health PLUS a health system with health packs
  • Seamless vehicle integration (other FPS with vehicles felt incredibly clunky)
  • First FPS to have a decent control scheme on a console
  • Enormous campaign levels instead of corridor shooting

Maybe you could argue that a couple of games before Halo had one of these features, but Halo had ALL of these features which were definitely innovative at the time.

yet a two weapon limit doesn't make ce like counter strike

... A 2 weapon limit that uses a selection menu, buy menu, and you carry a sidearm and a primary weapon while Halo allows you to carry a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle.

Yes, please continue telling us how this is a popular mechanic in FPS that Halo ripped off at the time.

Also, no ce was mostly comprised of known modern mechanics at that time, few were unpopular.

Mate... No... Just no.

You obviously didn't play PC at the time if you think Halo was using popular mechanics at the time.

Halo's biggest competitors at the time would have been Unreal Tournament (Unreal Championship on Xbox), Battlefield 1942 and Counter Strike (Also on Xbox).

Other XBL games released on the original Xbox were Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Soldier of Fortune.

Please tell me what Halo had in common with these FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm down with THE 4, but r/halocirclejerk has got some good stuff too

"links to /r/halo that aren't np are literally 3v4i and will be removed

We don't fucking talk about Destiny

Bungie good

Calling 3v4i 343 = b&

Fap over Halo 2

Remember the Halo4st ;-;

When all else fails, Marty will show us the way"

Anyone down for the haloc4st?

I think having a reward system in a game is a good thing for new players, especially for a skill based shooter like Halo. New players, who are still learning, will be less likely to leave a game if they are getting small rewards that encourage them to play one more match. Eventually the new players will no longer need the rewards because they are good at the game now, where K/D or Victories are the reward. Now gameplay is what will keep the players in the long run, and I think Halo 5 can stack up.

Oh please. If todays kids can't enjoy Halo without getting a medal every time they shoot a bullet perhaps they shouldn't be playing video games.

You know what the reward is? WINNING THE FUCKING GAME. That's rewarding. Out shooting other players. Out smarting other players. THAT is rewarding.

A condescending medal congratulating me for killing someone with the last bullet in my magazine isn't rewarding. It's stupid.

Back in the day I used to put my Xbox in my backpack, get on a bike, ride over to my friends house (My family only had dial up at the time) and play XBC for hours on end. Every game I won felt rewarding. Every game I lost drove me to get better.

Nowadays kids have freakin' LCD monitors in their rooms with wi-fi all over their house and they don't want to play a game unless it's patting them on the back every 3 seconds.

- degenerating powerup (OS drains over time)

Well, actually Quake 3 had this. The Mega Health drains over time.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe you could argue that a couple of games before Halo had one of these features, but Halo had ALL of these features which were definitely innovative at the time.

All those features (aside from system link, would need to check that) had been used in other games before, and I don't think throwing them all together is innovation. Using that logic, you could say Halo 5 is innovative.

I don't think CE was innovative, but it was influential in popularizing these different features, which I just as important.

• Downvote (-1) 2

OMG post of the year  :goat:

1f9287473b.png

:flames:

I just said, "Oh shiiit!" out loud in my cube.  

wp

What's your reasoning for thinking this way? If you play a custom game from NA with someone in Europe then the host will choose what dedi it gets played on and the connection is bound to be bad for someone (just like if a player was hosting). There is literally no peer to peer networking in H5, from what we are told.

I haven't really read up about dedicated servers, I also wasn't aware that you could actually choose what dedicated server to play on. Thanks for the reply though.

Uh... Just quickly off the top of my head:

• 4 player split screen PLUS system link on a console
  • Pressing a button to melee instead of cycling to your melee weapon
  • 2 weapon limit instead of carrying 10 guns at a time and cycling through them
  • Single button press to grenade instead of having to select your grenade
  • A recharging health PLUS a health system with health packs
  • Seamless vehicle integration (other FPS with vehicles felt incredibly clunky)
  • First FPS to have a decent control scheme on a console
  • Enormous campaign levels instead of corridor shooting

... A 2 weapon limit that uses a selection menu, buy menu, and you carry a sidearm and a primary weapon while Halo allows you to carry a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle.

Yes, please continue telling us how this is a popular mechanic in FPS that Halo ripped off at the time.

Mate... No... Just no.

You obviously didn't play PC at the time if you think Halo was using popular mechanics at the time.

Halo's biggest competitors at the time would have been Unreal Tournament (Unreal Championship on Xbox), Battlefield 1942 and Counter Strike (Also on Xbox).

Other XBL games released on the original Xbox were Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Soldier of Fortune.

Please tell me what Halo had in common with these FPS.

first off, many of those features you listed weren't new, and secondly you missed the point of my post, I said before how halo ces integration of already known mechanics(barring melee/grenade buttons) was what set it apart, it's set up was what made it great, I was commenting on the idiotic logic one uses when trying to say a game is like another just because of a feature, you must not have actually read that post or the others in their entirety.

Vehicles were not new

Split screen(lol) was not new to consoles.

Equal starts were not new

Open levels were not new

Map design was great but not necessarily new

The weapon design(hipfire primary, with a zoom) was not a new way of shooting.

Power ups were not new

Weapons on map wasn't new

Carrying two weapons only, was not a new thing(Cs btw, doesn't stop you from picking up a certain weapon that you find to replace any of the two you bought, and regardless, still limits you to two weapons at a time)

Some games (like tribes and team fortess(for a time))even let you hot key the grenade

My point was that innovation based on individual features is stupid because most games borrow from one another, halo was innovative because of how it approached the mechanics it borrowed, you completely missed the point of what I was trying to say.

I agree halo was innovative, just in the way that the game is put together, not based on what features it has, because the majority if not all of them were not new, popularity is irrelevant in this debate, it doesn't change the fact that halo, even with Ce, was borrowing features from other(in most cases popular) games from around the same period. It ultimately meant nothing because the game's design around those mechanics is what made it unique, which has been my point this whole time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Normally I play with it off but I just got used to it in the beta. Does it really make the game impossible to play for some people?

some people have a BIG issue with vibe and blow it way out of proportion,but to each there own.

I personally like vibe because I like to "feel my shots" and when I don't have it my timing in strafing and shooting gets wonky.

Oh please. If todays kids can't enjoy Halo without getting a medal every time they shoot a bullet perhaps they shouldn't be playing video games.

You know what the reward is? WINNING THE FUCKING GAME. That's rewarding. Out shooting other players. Out smarting other players. THAT is rewarding.

A condescending medal congratulating me for killing someone with the last bullet in my magazine isn't rewarding. It's stupid.

Back in the day I used to put my Xbox in my backpack, get on a bike, ride over to my friends house (My family only had dial up at the time) and play XBC for hours on end. Every game I won felt rewarding. Every game I lost drove me to get better.

Nowadays kids have freakin' LCD monitors in their rooms with wi-fi all over their house and they don't want to play a game unless it's patting them on the back every 3 seconds.

Totally agree. When you get medals for literally doing nothing (distraction medal, fly'in high, first touch, etc...) it saturates the rest of the medals, removing the other medals feeling of accomplishment. I remember just playing in Halo 3 and getting 4 medals at once was something cool, since most of the time you got like two or three medals at a time. Also doesn't help that the 343i's medals in my opinion look kinda ugly. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Didn't somebody say that a lot of the pointless medals were removed from arena?

Didn't somebody say that a lot of the pointless medals were removed from arena?

I don't think they were removed, just not featured in the medal feed anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only new medal that I actually liked was the purrrrfect medal. There was something oddly satisfying about that one.

Otherwise just stick with the medals that actually mean something like multi-kills and objective milestones (like capping a flag).  I don't need a "Ball holder" medal every 10 frickin seconds, or a "Comback kill" medal if i have died a bunch of times in a row then finally get a kill.  Those arent accomplishments.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The less screen clutter the better. You can keep your redundant medals on the post-game carnage report for all I care, I don't hold all of them at the same weight as the tried and true anyways...

Why do 343 like to 'fix' things that we're never broken?