CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I saw Josh Holmes post on twitter saying the ADS is purely aesthetic. There's still descope, no hipfire penalty, and no penalty to movement when scoped. I have no idea how to put a tweet on here tho...

People keep posting this. We know. The point is it's a change for the sake of change. Just to attract the CoD kids. Painfully obvious. I don't understand why 343 has to stoop to such low levels when all they had to do was make Halo Two 2 and it would still sell like hotcakes and no one would be mad. It's a disgrace.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Nono... Not the reveal itself, people complaining that there's something fishy going on because it starts an hour before midnight of a game that launches at midnight. No conspiracy there.

It really would have made far more sense to do it at the end of the tournament yesterday with 45k people watching.

Franks right we should just accept the one thing that completely ruins halo..... What an idiot. Still don't understand how that guy got to be anything more than a forum troll

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Reach comes out with Sprint AA. Everyone: "We don't want this"

Halo 4 comes out with Sprint as a default mechanic. Everyone: "We already told you we don't want this"

I'm waiting for the reveal, but I'm still pretty mad. For 2 games and 4 years we've fought sprint and said no. What kind of developer looks at that information and says "We should try sprint again, we might get it right this time!"

Even if you allow it to be turned off, the second anyone brought it up at a Halo 5 meeting they should have been packing the items on their desk into a little cardboard box. It would be like Coca Cola saying "We know you hated New Coke, but guess what here it is again only worse" and not just one time but TWICE. It just wouldn't happen because they know it's not what their customer wants.

Coke analogy because it's freaking hot and I want one.

This. This this this this this. We've been yelling on the Halo Waypoint forums and reddit for YEARS for them to take sprint out and just bump base movement speed up. What will it take for them to actually listen to fans again? Do we need to get Naded, T2, Goofy, OGRE2 and a bunch of other competitive players to tell 343 before they'll finally listen?

If you can't tell, I'm rather burnt out on this topic. My biggest hope is that for the beta they'll have a "no sprint" week of the three week beta where they take out sprint and reduce map sizes. Then, depending on feedback, will make changes as seen fit. We already know fans overwhelmingly don't want sprint. It's all on 343 now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you need to find me in H5, you can catch me in the corner ADS'in and getting that K/D over 3.0 - then I will put I am a Halo Pro on my twitch channel and tweet @ e-girls. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach comes out with Sprint AA. Everyone: "We don't want this"

Halo 4 comes out with Sprint as a default mechanic. Everyone: "We already told you we don't want this"

I'm waiting for the reveal, but I'm still pretty mad. For 2 games and 4 years we've fought sprint and said no. What kind of developer looks at that information and says "We should try sprint again, we might get it right this time!"

Even if you allow it to be turned off, the second anyone brought it up at a Halo 5 meeting they should have been packing the items on their desk into a little cardboard box. It would be like Coca Cola saying "We know you hated New Coke, but guess what here it is again only worse" and not just one time but TWICE. It just wouldn't happen because they know it's not what their customer wants.

Coke analogy because it's freaking hot and I want one.

Great post and I completely agree. For whatever reason I believe 343 thinks that the game needs sprint to survive. Sprint brings so many negatives that ruin the core of the game. I also believe it is what ruined ctf and led 343 to creating that godawful version of ctf in halo4.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you need to find me in H5, you can catch me in the corner ADS'in and getting that K/D over 3.0 - then I will put I am a Halo Pro on my twitch channel and tweet @ e-girls. 

LMAO. You guys got me rolling. Stahp haha.

It's so clear they don't get it its not even funny.  The problem is, because of the tweet we now know the leaked video was real.  I knew they were going to fall into the "faster gameplay" trap.  The problem with faster game play in terms of forward movement is that it destroys team play.  No one has time to pay attention to anything their team mates are doing because no one can keep track of where anyone is because they could be halfway across the map and the enemy could be anywhere a few seconds later.  If you watch older gameplay you see the kind of "faster gameplay" you want.  Then watch H4.  There isn't going to be any setups/strategy again - simply run and gun w/ rowshambo weapons.  It's exactly why Destiny PvP is such utter mindless trash.  Don't destroy structure for the sake of "faster gamplay" - the great euphemism for chaos.

And just F-F-F anything that even looks like ADS. When I saw that I felt sick to my stomach and now I just feel contempt.  I'm so mad about it that it's taking away from my excitement for MCC.  I have to let it go. :salt:  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Negatives:

- Sprint is back

- A pointless aim-down-sight gimmick has been added, which makes Halo look less like Halo and covers more of the screen than is necessary. It also possibly indicates that 343 still feels that they need to please the CoD fanbase

Positives:

- Seems to have a very fast base movement speed

- Graphics are pretty damn insane. The leap almost seems to be bigger than that of Halo 2 to Halo 3, which doesn't seem to make sense considering the whole "diminishing returns" thing

- Art style still looks like Halo. Still very much colourful and vibrant

- The BR (or whatever it is) seems to have a small reticle. Are they increasing the shooting skill-gap?

- Sprint seems to be barely any faster than the already-fast base speed

- Descope is back

- The ADS gimmick, as stupid and pointless as it is, has been confirmed not to impact gameplay. It functions the same as zoom

- Frankie has said sprint is no longer a "get out of jail free" card

And personally I like the new sword look, but I'll keep that out of the positives list because I'm seem to be pretty much alone on that one.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprint is not that huge of a deal for me. But the Spartan abilities are. Those have the highest potential to break the competitive game. I don't want Halo to be a class based ability shooter. Class based arena shooters will never sustain a competitive scene. I don't want any kinds of "abilities." That's why games like Destiny ultimately are casual. It's a fun game....but its not competitive because of the classes/various abilities/and powers. I don't want that crap in a halo game.

Gotta be all about shooting skill, map awareness/positioning/and teamwork-teamshot. Nothing else.

Sprint doesn't affect that nearly as bad as everything else. And I honestly don't think it breaks anything really. I wouldn't mind if its not in the game. But it's not a huge deal if it is either I think.

Sprint is not that huge of a deal for me. But the Spartan abilities are. Those have the highest potential to break the competitive game. I don't want Halo to be a class based ability shooter. Class based arena shooters will never sustain a competitive scene. I don't want any kinds of "abilities." That's why games like Destiny ultimately are casual. It's a fun game....but its not competitive because of the classes/various abilities/and powers. I don't want that crap in a halo game.

Gotta be all about shooting skill, map awareness/positioning/and teamwork-teamshot. Nothing else.

Sprint doesn't affect that nearly as bad as everything else. And I honestly don't think it breaks anything really. I wouldn't mind if its not in the game. But it's not a huge deal if it is either I think.

There hasn't been any indication of class-based gameplay for Halo 5 but your point is well taken.

Have you been following this thread at all? Spartan abilities are not armor abilities or classes; every single player has them, just like any player can board vehicles from H2 onwards.

People keep posting this. We know. The point is it's a change for the sake of change. Just to attract the CoD kids. Painfully obvious. I don't understand why 343 has to stoop to such low levels when all they had to do was make Halo Two 2 and it would still sell like hotcakes and no one would be mad. It's a disgrace.

They could pretty make any fps based on halo and it would sell, that is the most frustrating part for reach and halo 4 (and maybe 5). They are purposely fucking up the game to attract an audience they don't need to try anything to attract. 75% of the audience doesn't give a shit what is in a halo game, so why would you try to appease them and sell out the other 25% that don't want that shit? The xbox live numbers don't lie, halo 3 kept up with the new cod year after year until halo: reach came out. Since then halo has been plummeting in popularity.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know most peeps here are against sprint in it's current form (Me included), but i am willing to give it another chance.

We have Bravo, 4 Pros, and 2 games that failed to implement the "Sprint Mechanic" successfully. 

I think h5 can get it right- i remember someone saying "If you sprint, you have no shields." I would definitely give that feature a try. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

I know most peeps here are against sprint in it's current form (Me included), but i am willing to give it another chance.

We have Bravo, 4 Pros, and 2 games that failed to implement the "Sprint Mechanic" successfully. 

I think h5 can get it right- i remember someone saying "If you sprint, you have no shields." I would definitely give that feature a try. 

No, absolutely not. Sprint has no place in halo. It never have and it never will.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That would effectively render sprint pretty much useless. Which in turn makes it even more baffling that they'd keep it in.

I would hope, failing sprint being removed completely, that it were more along the lines of "if you sprint and then get shot, you stop sprinting", sort of like a de-scope type mechanic for sprint. That would, at the very least, make it a mechanic you could use to move quickly to an area only if you'd eliminated the threat(s) to do so. It would be a check against sprinting everywhere, and also keep it from being a "get out of jail free" mechanic and rather a small reward for making smart decisions and planning appropriately.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343, Bungie. Different companies, same deal. They want to sell as many games as possible.

The community fought back in halo 3. We fought back in Reach. We fought back in H4. Where'd it get us? A worse game every time.

343, Bungie. Different companies, same deal. They want to sell as many games as possible.

The community fought back in halo 3. We fought back in Reach. We fought back in H4. Where'd it get us? A worse game every time.

I can probably guarantee halo 5 will be 10x better than h4 and at least 2x better than reach

Idk about you guys but the fact that we're getting hcs, ranks, clans, divisions and arena focused on power weapon and map control is enough to count me in. But I will be advocating for sprint removal during beta feedback time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

These forums are quite possibly one of the most depressing places on the internet. I think I'll take the crazy notion of withholding judgment until I see the actual reveal. I know that train of thinking thought may be a little too progressive for some, but I am willing to go out on that limb. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just because we MIGHT be able to make sprint work, doesn't mean we should add it in. 

This is exactly it. I'm not saying that they might not be able to get it to work. I'm saying that I don't want it and I feel like the overwhelming majority has had the same viewpoint.

Could 343 potentially get it to work and could the game be good? Yes. Do I want them to even try? No. We've already had 2 unsuccessful attempts and the feedback wasn't that Sprint was broken and needed to be fixed. It was simply that we do not want Sprint. I just don't see why that's difficult to comprehend.