CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There are very few small maps that would work as remakes in H5. Longest & Cold Storage would possibly be the worst.

Construct, Skyline, Haven, & Abandon could all work. Maybe.

Thrown in Guardian just for the name  :bman:   Shutdown played fine in H4.

Id like to see countdown from reach, Although not many people seem to like that map.

I personally think abandon from H4 was poor.  skyline was good though

First off, as interesting as it would be to find out, having the same map remade for the third time is just dumb. Can we get some new original stuff and a new meta? Now there's the fact that remaking maps with new movement options in mind isn't as simple as "scaling up 10%", because you now have sprint, sprint jumping, thrusters, hover, clamber and ground pound to account for. The old predictable paths and flow (also read: The essence of the map) is loss in the process. Imagine if I can grab rockets on Chill Out and sprint jump to top mid ledge and then inside sniper room within 1 second? How dumb is that? You could reach ANY point in the map within 5 seconds.

There's also the fact that none of these maps are super relevant for competitive. Chill Out is good in CE because it's used in 2v2 and CE mechanics make it good, but put it in Halo 3 and all of a sudden it's not as good. Grenades aren't half as useful, new jumps out of nowhere, the weapon/power-up balance doesn't make sense for it, etc. Most of the maps also are not symmetrical, which means unless Matchmaking has randomized spawns for each team (E.G. not static X team on X side, which I doubt because of map coloring), then it means some maps will put a team at a clear advantage off-spawn, which is a blatant stupid design for competitive maps unless the design is VERY well-done (which is not the case of these maps).

TL;DR - would be fun and interesting to see how it turns out, but it's worth wasting the game's competitive value for. Rather have some new original maps and more symmetric designs.

Totally agree with the "remakes will suck" part. Do we really want shit like "Take rockets and jetpack to top sniper on Ivory Tower" again? New maps please.

I disagree with your opinion about asyms though. Asymmetrical maps can be pretty much perfectly balanced (of course I have no faith in 343i making such maps.)

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you can't tell the difference between CE nades and Reach/H2A nades then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Totally agree with the "remakes will suck" part. Do we really want shit like "Take rockets and jetpack to top sniper on Ivory Tower" again? New maps please.

I disagree with your opinion about asyms though. Asymmetrical maps can be pretty much perfectly balanced (of course I have no faith in 343i making such maps.)

Don't get me wrong, I prefer an asymmetrical map if it's near perfect in terms of balance, but I'm not counting on miracles for the game to turn out decent. With all the risks this game is taking, let's be safe on the maps at least.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're probably a BR scrub that has never played Halo CE in your life before so you have no room to talk about what "actual Halo skill" is.

Nah I've played him in CE, he's decent. Probably doesn't play it too much though.

Solo is solo. Offline.

Based on what?

More likely it's on servers. 343 has said that the AI for Warzone runs off the servers so the XBone can keep up with the visuals.

Campaign has enemy AI, 3 team AI on solo, and I would guess more expansive visuals. If campaign doesn't run on the servers I'll eat my hat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We already know another one is coming, we just don't know when.

Just like MCC would be just the way we remembered it. Come on Moa

I do have faith another one is coming, at least one, but I would honestly not be surprised if it was completely abandoned. Or abandoned after one more update.

I get it man, I really do. I understand how you feel completely and I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. The inner workings of such a large franchise are much more complicated than we as a community try to make it seem sometimes. Allocating resources, prioritizing projects, and meeting targets are all aspects of any organization that are harder in practice. 

Keep in my mind, my capacity at 343 Industries has nothing to do with community relations or PR. So everything I'm saying right now is from the perspective of a Halo fan.

Like I said, I acknowledge it's not your job to act as PR. I'm talking about people who are in PR.

And I completely understand resource allocation too. And that's what I'm pissed about. Somebody at MS or 343i decided to put minimal resources into MCC, to the extent that they broke promises. If they couldn't fulfill their promises then they should have taken more time or started the project sooner or not promised so much.

The absolute best thing they could have done was release CEA with its classic multiplayer, online on the 360 in 2011 instead of making ridiculous excuses, then if they wanted they could have ported THAT and done H2A for the Xbone in 2014, or just do H2A by itself since Halo 1 would be an option on the 360. Halo 3 and 4 could have waited for their own anniversary editions especially given that they are still up and running online on the 360 so fans really don't feel shafted by it not being in the Collection. But I'm thinking that MS just wanted that bullet point in their marketing to hype everyone to a massive degree by offering all 4 games in one collection, and forced 343i to do it with minimal resources and outsourcing while they worked on Halo 5 at the same time.... well look how that turned out.

It's rather obvious 343 cares at this point. We are just acting spoiled. A greater majority of games in development are having issues nowadays for whatever reason and MCC is a monster of a task compared to them ALL. And we have ranks in like 6 playlists now!

They care.

How is it obvious they care....? They don't mention MCC at all for weeks. And no, a majority of games do not have issues like this or if they do they are addressed more promptly than in MCC, and it's certainly not an excuse to accept it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Campaign has enemy AI, 3 team AI on solo, and I would guess more expansive visuals. If campaign doesn't run on the servers I'll eat my hat.

If I can't play campaign offline in cases like Xbox Live being down then I'll eat your hat too

I do have faith another one is coming, at least one, but I would honestly not be surprised if it was completely abandoned. Or abandoned after one more update.

Like I said, I acknowledge it's not your job to act as PR. I'm talking about people who are in PR.

And I completely understand resource allocation too. And that's what I'm pissed about. Somebody at MS or 343i decided to put minimal resources into MCC, to the extent that they broke promises. If they couldn't fulfill their promises then they should have taken more time or started the project sooner or not promised so much.

The absolute best thing they could have done was release CEA with its classic multiplayer, online on the 360 in 2011 instead of making ridiculous excuses, then if they wanted they could have ported THAT and done H2A for the Xbone in 2014, or just do H2A by itself since Halo 1 would be an option on the 360. Halo 3 and 4 could have waited for their own anniversary editions especially given that they are still up and running online on the 360 so fans really don't feel shafted by it not being in the Collection. But I'm thinking that MS just wanted that bullet point in their marketing to hype everyone to a massive degree by offering all 4 games in one collection, and forced 343i to do it with minimal resources and outsourcing while they worked on Halo 5 at the same time.... well look how that turned out.

Plus Halo online?

More likely it's on servers. 343 has said that the AI for Warzone runs off the servers so the XBone can keep up with the visuals

I'm confused as to why somebody would think that a gamemode that is only played through matchmaking on dedicated servers would have AI that aren't run off of those same servers. It wouldn't make sense for them to not have the Warzone AI to be done through the Azure servers.

Based on what?

More likely it's on servers. 343 has said that the AI for Warzone runs off the servers so the XBone can keep up with the visuals.

Warzone is a mode which supports 12v12 on an already limiting console. Throwing AI into the mix and having that all done on the console and not through the cloud would cause issues, hence why it is done through the cloud..

Now solo play with three team AI and various enemy AI? Not an issue at all because we aren't trying to support 24 active players at the same time.

I'm confused as to why somebody would think that a gamemode that is only played through matchmaking on dedicated servers would have AI that aren't run off of those same servers. It wouldn't make sense for them to not have the Warzone AI to be done through the Azure servers.

No, the issue is that 343 the reason for server AI was because the console didn't have the power to do that and the visuals.

If that's true for one mode it should be true for the other.

Edit: @@Moa

Ok dude, I'll just wait till they confirm it. 10 bucks says you're wrong.

I don't know what to tell you. They've said one is coming and they'll talk about it in the future. I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was the last update ever for MCC that made any significant changes.

The 24-player option is for Warzone only. 343 was hinting at a larger player count early in H5 development and to find out that it's only for one gametype and not Customs/Forge is extremely disappointing.

As far as I know, they haven't confirmed the player count yet and the possibility is still there.

I listened to the audio before it was taken down. The tone in his answer was the complete opposite of confidence. I can't remember the exact wording, but to me, it sounded more like "We're not ready to announce that negative news yet" instead of "It's possible." 343's lack of response on the issue isn't reassuring as well. All the signs are pointing to no 24-player limit in customs.

Dude you are the epitome of pessimism. Have some optimism.

No, the issue is that 343 the reason for server AI was because the console didn't have the power to do that and the visuals.

If that's true for one mode it should be true for the other.

Edit: @@Moa

Ok dude, I'll just wait till they confirm it. 10 bucks says you're wrong.

One mode has one player, the other has 24.

You're on for that bet.

TL;DR - would be fun and interesting to see how it turns out, but it's not worth wasting the game's competitive value for. Rather have some new original maps and more symmetric designs.

EDIT: Fixed a mistake.

xv4Egsr.gif

Can only choose one of those.

• Downvote (-1) 1

How is it obvious they care....? They don't mention MCC at all for weeks. And no, a majority of games do not have issues like this or if they do they are addressed more promptly than in MCC, and it's certainly not an excuse to accept it.

And I'm not disagreeing with you, but what makes more sense? Redirect extra resources that may not be on hand immediately (keep in mind - an organization or company that has more resources as far personnel/hardware/etc than they need will not be a profitable one) to correct mistakes made during the MCC launch and compromise timelines and budgets for your next project? Or use the limited resources that are available to fix as much as you can while balancing the extra effort needed to ensure the same mistakes aren't made on your next title? 

And again, I'm not saying this is specifically what is happening with 343i, because I don't deal with that kind of stuff, but these are general issues any organization in a similar situation would have to tackle and solve. 

xv4Egsr.gif

Can only choose one of those.

Are you saying we can't have competitive symmetric maps? Actually, what are you saying at all? Please explain yourself with words instead of posting your favorite hot Ukrainian political grill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2010 - Reach

2011 - Bungie left without ever updating Reach. CEA with no multiplayer.

2012 - Halo 4

2013 - Witness Halo 4's population drop like an ODST

2014 - MCC has the worst launch in history

2015 - Halo 5 Beta with unliited Sprint and ADS

I've been slowly drained of optimism for too long to have any left

I mean, I don't blame you for your opinion. But it's really not that bad, halo is in a good spot and people really like halo 5 and the media leading up to it. Not everything is automatically the worst possible scenario or absolute shit like you assume at every turn.

I mean, I don't blame you for your opinion. But it's really not that bad, halo is in a good spot and people really like halo 5 and the media leading up to it. Not everything is automatically the worst possible scenario or absolute shit like you assume at every turn.

halo 5 seems to have legitimate hype around it, halo 4 only had optimism that a new studio could make a decent halo game, people actually got to play halo 5, and if people liked it before, they'll only like it more now considering all the changes that were made after.