CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I personally think Halo 5 will be our Black Ops 2, and put the competitive side of Halo back on the map, hopefully bigger than it was before.

Only thing I'm worried about is high-level gameplay pace. If power weapons/ups don't spawn frequently enough I'm worried Team Slayer will devolve into a very stale style game like the beta, especially with the longer kill times.

Only thing I'm worried about is high-level gameplay pace. If power weapons/ups don't spawn frequently enough I'm worried Team Slayer will devolve into a very stale style game like the beta, especially with the longer kill times.

I would think this too, but H4 (post weapon balancing, which puts it on par with H5 Warzone times) gameplay was really fast (barring Adrift). Was watching some AGL 8 footage the other day, and if anything it was too fast with a ton of flanking. OTOH, sprint was WAY more powerful/useful. 

Edit: Also, does anyone know the weapon timers for the v4 settings used there?

I personally think Halo 5 will be our Black Ops 2, and put the competitive side of Halo back on the map, hopefully bigger than it was before.

I may not personally agree with every single design or mechanic that is in the game, but I can appreciate what they are trying to do with competitive multiplayer. 

All these beat to death videos asking "why is halo dead" are just pointless anymore. We had a few subpar titles in a row, while other games caught up and were more engaging. Case closed.

People should be focusing / brainstorming ways on what can be done Halo better, than trying to analyze the obvious answer as to why the franchise "declined", which has been rehashed over and over and over.  Then again it doesn't seem like sales actually declined, but player retention over time definitely did, at-least in Halo 4.

Well it's not just about gameplay for me.

A major part of what made Halo Halo for me was it's amazing art-design wich has been changed a drastically since 343 took over and they removed integral features like slit-screen so I can understand everyone who says Halo is dead for him.

For me, it is just a matter of looking at things.

Traditional Halo is dying since Reach and is "finaly" gone with H5, while this is sad, it leaves room for a new style of "Halo" to rise. And I think H5G might get quite popular!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I worry about the maps. You'd assume they'd use their 'best' maps for the beta, if so we're in for a game full of average maps to be honest.

Then again Bungie had Sword Base in the Reach beta.

What did Halo 3 beta have? Snowbound, High Ground and Valhalla? lol

• Upvote (+1) 4

as far i'm concerned TS is the worst competitive gametype anyway IMO. if HCS is smart, don't include it for the rotations until the SA ever become more flexible.

edit- to prove my point, h2a has none of the new stuff from h5 and team slayer still plays like shit. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

What did Halo 3 beta have? Snowbound, High Ground and Valhalla? lol

Valhalla plays fine in BTB, not that different from gulch, other than Bungie's sudden hard on for man-cannons.  I'd say it plays fine in 4 too but with Optimus prime running around gunning down half your team as they run at it like lemmings, I'd rather play something else. 

Snowbound was awful, the maps in H5 beta were definitely better than that.  

My biggest worry is that that they'll all look the same visually.  Fathom looked a lot like Empire but with water instead of a skybox.   I was living abroad during most of reach, so I didn't have my xbox, when I was at home I didn't have the DLC so when I played it, 90% of the maps were forge maps.  They could be the best designed maps in the world, but those grey boxes killed my enthusiasm for reach much more than sprint ever did.

as far i'm concerned TS is the worst competitive gametype anyway IMO. if HCS is smart, don't include it for the rotations until the SA ever become more flexible.

edit- to prove my point, h2a has none of the new stuff from h5 and team slayer still plays like shit. 

Slayer without fast weapon spawns sucks, that's why.

One of my biggest dislikes of the game at this point is one of their biggest selling points, squad gameplay.

Personally, I just don't want it in a main Halo title. I enjoy campaign most when it's Master Chief (or other) in the "lone wolf" style missions. I guess I've always considered Master Chief a "one main wrecking crew" that goes out and single-handedly saves the planet. There are plenty of squad shooters out there, I just don't personally enjoy them. I'm sure their will be others that do. For me it makes sense in a side title game (like Reach). I think it will end up drastically changing the campaign gameplay that many people already enjoy and I don't think was ever really an issue.

And of course, I'm going to miss things like split-screen...obviously

• Upvote (+1) 1

fast weapons spawns can't save a shit gametype like Lockout TS.

Disagree. If lockout has dynamic timers, move sniper to shotgun 30s, camo on sword 60s, put rocks at top mid with 60s and stick an OS somewhere - I think it would play pretty well.

Far timers are all TS lockout needs. The reason it's campy is because the sniper is already where it's used most effectively and you can control it's respawn timer.

I really hope 343 makes the weapons kill faster, I was disappointed that they actually slowed the kill times down from the beta, if anything they needed to be sped up along with a reduction in bullet magnetism.

• Upvote (+1) 1

fast weapons spawns can't save a shit gametype like Lockout TS. 

it probably could, a Camo bottom green would do WONDERS for that map.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Traditional Halo is dying since Reach and is "finaly" gone with H5, while this is sad, it leaves room for a new style of "Halo" to rise. And I think H5G might get quite popular!

to be honest Halo 5 is the closest to traditional Halo we've had in a while, excluding H2A. I'd say it's even closer to H2.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd be totally ok with Team Slayer being removed. No other Competitive shooter uses it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I may not personally agree with every single design or mechanic that is in the game, but I can appreciate what they are trying to do with competitive multiplayer.

All these beat to death videos asking "why is halo dead" are just pointless anymore. We had a few subpar titles in a row, while other games caught up and were more engaging. Case closed.

People should be focusing / brainstorming ways on what can be done Halo better, than trying to analyze the obvious answer as to why the franchise "declined", which has been rehashed over and over and over. Then again it doesn't seem like sales actually declined, but player retention over time definitely did, at-least in Halo 4.

Very, very well put. At a certain point those videos do nothing but harm and promote pessimism at a point in our community when we need be optimistic and welcoming to new people in the community. How is talking down our game constantly going help our community? More like shooting ourselves in the foot.

/rant

I worry about the maps. You'd assume they'd use their 'best' maps for the beta, if so we're in for a game full of average maps to be honest.

Then again Bungie had Sword Base in the Reach beta.

H3 beta gave us Snowbound, High Ground, and Valhalla. Definitely not the best picks for a showcasing with maps like The Pit & Guardian. I know it's a different company though.

An improved forge system also gives the community tools to make engaging and nice looking competitive maps. I just hope the remixes aren't lazily put together and the maps as a whole give us 4-5 solid competitive options. 

Can we have our needle rifle back? #JustReachThings

Can we have our grenade launcher back?

I really hope 343 eventually stop disregarding ideas just because it was [old] Bungie who came up with them. They certainly have no problem taking inspiration from other developers. I'm not saying Bungie had all the answers, but there were a few gems over the years that have no reason not to be in modern installments.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can we have our grenade launcher back?

I really hope 343 eventually stop disregarding ideas just because it was [old] Bungie who came up with them. They certainly have no problem taking inspiration from other developers. I'm not saying Bungie had all the answers, but there were a few gems over the years that have no reason not to be in modern installments.

Plasma Caster pretty much fills that niche.

Although I will say, it sucks not being able to control when the grenades detonate.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Plasma Caster pretty much fills that niche.

Although I will say, it sucks not being able to control when the grenades detonate.

From what I've seen in gameplay, the plasma caster is garbage. It'll be a weapon that requires zero skill and pretty much luck to use at any distance.

I really miss the grenade launcher from Reach. It was so satisfying to get kills with it.

• Upvote (+1) 3