CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm not taking things well.

The 343 art team definitely consists of people who are large fans of Japanese art style. It's not bad, but it's not Halo, a very Western game. The blend of styles doesn't mix well. They've improved since Halo 4 since the armor looks great so far, but there are still other assets that suffer from the same over-design that Halo 4 did.

That is pretty much exactly how I feel.  It's also why I feel that certain weapon models would feel out of place in Halo 4 and Halo 5, even if I dislike the new direction as a whole.

Like I'm sure people would love the classic weapon models, but they wouldn't look right in a game where every other weapon is super shiny and for lack of a better term 'jagged'.

I like the new Halo look but it doesn't reflect the universe' theme which is a world of genocides in the names of religion, ideologies and survival

I think Halo reach had the best tone and aesthetic 

• Upvote (+1) 1

"But it looks like a generic military tank." The Scorpion was already the most generic military looking thing Halo had to offer.

Yes, the scorpion was already the most generic military looking thing in Halo, but if it truly looks like that... idk... is gonna be even more generic imo.

No gusta.

I think Halo reach had the best tone and aesthetic 

Reach and ODST are the only Halo games in my opinion that really do seem like they're set in the same universe that the novels present, while the original trilogy does not. A lot of people think this is because Halo CE-3 don't make enough references to the expanded universe, and thus we ended up with Halo 4, which proved difficult to follow and understand for those who never touched the expanded universe. In my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a story that can stand on its own. In truth, the trilogy's problem, was the fact that their tone simply did not match the novels', so much so that you could probably get away with changing every important name, and then market the books as some  separate, original sci-fi series.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No, they don't. Not sure who told you that but its wrong. All of Blue Team decided to keep Gen 1 armor.

It was said in a recent canon fodder that they switched to GEN2. Even Chief.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing with Halo 4 though is that it wasn't 343 suddenly deciding to throw all the previous extended universe lore in the game, they specifically set out to make terminals and books to then reference in H4.

In a few years time (during H4 development) they created wayyy too much lore and it just made some people feel lost when they played the game with no knowledge. Now Halo 5 has even MORE lore created pre-launch and I'm afraid it might be a similar situation unless 343 does a good job of filling in gaps in the actual game.

HuntTheTruth, Buck becoming a Spartan, Vale and Tanaka backstory, Halsey and Jul M'Lady (which I'm sure no one stuck through to the end of Spartan Ops to find out about), Blue Team, and other universe shenanigans.

• Upvote (+1) 9

The thing with Halo 4 though is that it wasn't 343 suddenly deciding to throw all the previous extended universe lore in the game, they specifically set out to make terminals and books to then reference in H4.

In a few years time (during H4 development) they created wayyy too much lore and it just made some people feel lost when they played the game with no knowledge. Now Halo 5 has even MORE lore created pre-launch and I'm afraid it might be a similar situation unless 343 does a good job of filling in gaps in the actual game.

HuntTheTruth, Buck becoming a Spartan, Vale and Tanaka backstory, Halsey and Jul M'Lady (which I'm sure no one stuck through to the end of Spartan Ops to find out about), Blue Team, and other universe shenanigans.

M'dama, but I'll chalk that up to auto correct. :kappa:

I stopped caring at some parts of Halo 4 cause I didn't know what the fuck they're talking about half of the time 

Composer, Didact, Librarian and all those genes talk made my head dizzy and I'm a halo fan

The Only redeeming factor was Chief and Cortana they were perfect in 4

They didn't even say in the game why the fuck was the Didact so pissed about humanity lol

It was said in a recent canon fodder that they switched to GEN2. Even Chief.

Could you send me a link/ source/ page number? :)

I really hate the argument in response to saying all the new abilities makes the game  more generic and less Halo "Spartans are not supposed to be slow. So making the game more loyal to the supersoldier concept makes it "generic". You remember that scene from Halo Wars where the Spartans kicked elites' asses? They're supposed to be mobile and badass, just like they are in Halo 5"
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

qQbSn6Y.png

ZsXuSwm.png
2bEgzH9.png
clnk9tQ.png
F1pCpKp.png
hsFBYyZ.jpg

I think those are quite interesting, looks like you get to see the this colony twice, both destroyed and intact.

I also think that "Fathom", that e3 Warzone map and those campaign are all set on the same planet, the campaign level seems to have the same design/coloring (white/light grey-orange/yellow) as the Warzone-map, the Warzone map has the same underwater animals as Fathom.

And I'm curious about what's up with those yellow vehicles and that guy, who looks like he's wearing a hazmat suit (5th picture)

qQbSn6Y.png

ZsXuSwm.png

2bEgzH9.png

clnk9tQ.png

F1pCpKp.png

hsFBYyZ.jpg

I think those are quite interesting, looks like you get to see the this colony twice, both destroyed and intact.

I also think that "Fathom", that e3 Warzone map and those campaign are all set on the same planet, the campaign level seems to have the same design/coloring (white/light grey-orange/yellow) as the Warzone-map, the Warzone map has the same underwater animals as Fathom.

And I'm curious about what's up with those yellow vehicles and that guy, who looks like he's wearing a hazmat suit (5th picture)

Dat Aliasing and lowres textures... Nextgen

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Textures are actually very detailed in H5 from what we've seen in the beta and screenshots that released seen since then. These pictures have gone through a bit of compression and are a little bit misleading.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sure, since this will run on the XBO and after what we have seen so far I woulnd't expect something jaw-dropping in the final game but keep in mind that I had to use that shitty youtube vid to take those screenshots ;)

i had that problem. i feel star wars does it quite well, they may add in some expanded universe characters, but they retain a key contained narrative. as someone who has only dabbled with the halo expanded universe i felt quite alien to the characters and situations in halo 4, and i'm definitely feeling that same feeling from halo 5.

In my eyes the narrative and shift in focus and everything that is UNSC, forerunner and covenant looking so different from the bungie games it sometimes feels like it's not from the same universe. aesthetically it feels more like destiny than halo imo, which really shouldn't be the case. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I need to learn to stay away from YouTube comments about Halo.

"You realise how fucking outdated a Halo 2 rehash would be these days? No one would buy it, save for the purists. New players wouldn't look at it as something unique, they would look at it as a pile of shit"

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh look, more "live action sequences". Great.

b19jzKm.gif

1000 upvotes on reddit too

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Oh look, more "live action sequences". Great.

b19jzKm.gif

1000 upvotes on reddit too

These things look cool but they dont belong in a game imo. Its like in H4 when you did the climbing thing and pushing box thing, it just feels wrong and out of place.

These things look cool but they dont belong in a game imo. Its like in H4 when you did the climbing thing and pushing box thing, it just feels wrong and out of place.

I agree with this. These sorts of things certainly look cool but will just lead to games becoming more and more QTE-heavy and there's really nothing "fun" about watching an animation that you had no real involvement in. Why would it be too much to ask for that same scripted event to happen, except Buck literally drops a sword and you have to have the "wits" to pick it up yourself and hit the attack button? It's dumb, but the satisfaction of doing something like that all by yourself would feel so much cooler than "Oh hey look, all control has been taken away from me... great."

I agree with this. These sorts of things certainly look cool but will just lead to games becoming more and more QTE-heavy

inb4 the derps tell you this isn't a QTE

Where was this complaining about first person cutscenes in Reach?

C'mon people. Are you honestly going to frown upon and judge the Campaign on the small things we've seen? Don't make judgments on bits and pieces.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Some of you guys are always complaining about something lol

Guy said innovation, then straight up explains what he means. It's not true innovation, it's just hard to do.

I feel like that's as clear and straight to the point as you can possibly be while being honest as fuck.

I mean, he could have said innovation 5 more times and left it at that, which is truly being dishonest, but he didn't.

ViDocs seem more personal and opinionated/subjective than a promotional ad/video. That's exactly what it came off as to me.

It was two different people contradicting themselves. One said innovation, the other said "I don't know if this is innovation". I just found it to be odd.

inb4 the derps tell you this isn't a QTE

Apparently all first person cutscenes are now QTEs?

I mean if you want to be factually wrong then that's up to you I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1