CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Will the "100s of new Req items post-launch" be locked behind a paywall? Or will it be free content (like the DLC maps)?

Will the "100s of new Req items post-launch" be locked behind a paywall? Or will it be free content (like the DLC maps)?

All REQ pack stuff will be added for free and you have a choice of buying REQ packs to get them, or just play the game, complete matches/commendations and get more that way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All REQ pack stuff will be added for free and you have a choice of buying REQ packs to get them, or just play the game, complete matches/commendations and get more that way.

Perfect thanks for the quick response Moa. I hope a lot of aesthetic content won't just be tied to RNG packs, rather tied to achievements/commendations. I love wearing that piece of gear or weapon skin that you EARNED, rather than "oh hey, I got this after a match I went 1-30."

If 343 don't want to pull a Bungie, they should have REQs earned by doing well, or earning certain medals, or performing certain actions, ALL while you're trying to win the match.

Let's keep the RNG crap to a minimum.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not sure if this information is out there but....

Is it ever possible to sell a Microsoft AAA title for less than $60? Or is $60 barely covering expenses / possibly a slight loss?

I was always curious at this price point, $59.99, $60, etc. it is actually a pretty good amount of money, and if you factor in DLC, any type of special editions, etc, you are easily paying $100+ just to partake in a game.

In the age of steam dominance I feel like that $60 price point REALLY deters a ton of people, not to mention a $400 console.

I guess my point is, I wonder in the future if Xbox AAA titles could ever be priced at lets say, $29.99, without the whole operation going belly up.

If your old enough to have played games through Atari, NES, N64/PS1 days you'll remember the shift in pricing. I remember when N64 came out and they increased prices to $60. I remember trying to get zelda ocarina of time and toys r us trying to charge me $120 because it was in such demand (eventually I got the gold cartridge, with the soundtrack and t-shirts for retail). I think it was mostly the gaming industry and retail shops finally realizing they could take advantage of gamers because we were all addicted. It's actually funny to think console games have been at $60 for so long without another price increase. And at the same time with so much F2P and low cost gaming option available you have a point that the industry is prime for a major change in pricing structure. I think there needs to be a major catalyst though that captures more then hardcore's, like a steam console. Because as PC gaming has shown, people just can't be bothered with all that.

I think at least some people in the console industry see this coming. You could say MS/343i might see this coming and the REQ system as a micro transaction model being tested as a viable way to fund AAA title in the future.

My fears became reality, Less customization in Halo 5. Some people see it as a minor thing but customization really keeps the game going for me. Just look at AW. customization is the only reason I play that game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My fears became reality, Less customization in Halo 5. Some people see it as a minor thing but customization really keeps the game going for me. Just look at AW. customization is the only reason I play that game. 

That's not really true though. They've decreased the customisation for one aspect; the body armour which in older games was only ever fairly minor changes. They've added a bunch or expanded upon of new things like armour skins, weapon skins, custom animations, weapon variants, vehicle variants etc.

That's not really true though. They've decreased the customisation for one aspect; the body armour which in older games was only ever fairly minor changes. They've added a bunch or expanded upon of new things like armour skins, weapon skins, custom animations, weapon variants, vehicle variants etc.

But it seems very nonsensical to decrease armor customization slots when it's all been modeled anyway, especially coming off of Reach which had a huge amount of customization in 2010.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Skins though? That's not really fun. Skins added to the already set in stone armor customization of swapping out shoulders, and other features, would be a nice addition. 

The only way I'd like this update is if the armor looked ridiculous, which person preference and I know some people wouldn't like that.

When I say ridiculous I mean some type of set that looks like a medieval knight or something like that. Some type of fantasy set. If we s

they can add all the sets of armor they want, there's not as much depth to customization as there was before, we lose a significant portion of variety and potential variety as well, like the lack of depth prevented more individual armor customization, things like undershot patterns and colors etc. it's a significant step backward in depth.

Skins though? That's not really fun. Skins added to the already set in stone armor customization of swapping out shoulders, and other features, would be a nice addition. 

The only way I'd like this update is if the armor looked ridiculous, which person preference and I know some people wouldn't like that.

When I say ridiculous I mean some type of set that looks like a medieval knight or something like that. Some type of fantasy set. If we s

Tell that to CSGO players. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thing is, in Halo 4, we had most of those, AND decent (not great) customization. And calling the selectable animations "custom" is misleading. It's not like the player can make their own animation where their Spartan does a little song and dance before whacking the opponent's head off with their schlong. And if anything, having a single select assassination animation is taking a step back, since in Reach and 4, you could access ANY of the animations. This is like what they did with emblems in Halo 4. Just take something players have had complete access to from the get go, and put them behind an EXP/money wall.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thing is, in Halo 4, we had most of those, AND decent (not great) customization. And calling the selectable animations "custom" is misleading. It's not like the player can make their own animation where their Spartan does a little song and dance before whacking the opponent's head off with their schlong. And if anything, having a single select assassination animation is taking a step back, since in Reach and 4, you could access ANY of the animations. This is like what they did with emblems in Halo 4. Just take something players have had complete access to from the get go, and put them behind an EXP/money wall.

Do we know if that's how this will work? They've said we could chose assassination animations, I don't recall them specifically say "If you pick this one, it will always be this one." 

There are a variety of different ways of assassinating someone which all have to have different animations such as a midair assassination, an assassination from the air, an assassination from behind, etc. They literally can't lock it to just a single animation. 

Do we know if that's how this will work? They've said we could chose assassination animations, I don't recall them specifically say "If you pick this one, it will always be this one." 

There are a variety of different ways of assassinating someone which all have to have different animations such as a midair assassination, an assassination from the air, an assassination from behind, etc. They literally can't lock it to just a single animation. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they remove dropping assassinations, since they still occur on the ground. Actually, are drop assassinations in Halo 4? I know there isn't a drop assassination for Elites (since they're not playable anymore) in the PvE modes, but I can't seem to recall a drop assassination animation.

EDIT: Oh right, theres the cuddle neck snap.

But yeah, since its not like there have been a large variety of drop and midair assassinations before, I'm sure that they will just use a default, universal animation, while the selectable one is just for ground assassinations.

I'm not saying the addition of the new stuff makes up for the lack of "bits and bobs" (although I think it's a fairly minor issue), I'm saying there's going to be more customisation than H3.

I wouldn't be surprised if they remove dropping assassinations, since they still occur on the ground. Actually, are drop assassinations in Halo 4? I know there isn't a drop assassination for Elites (since they're not playable anymore) in the PvE modes, but I can't seem to recall a drop assassination animation.

EDIT: Oh right, theres the cuddle neck snap.

But yeah, since its not like there have been a large variety of drop and midair assassinations before, I'm sure that they will just use a default, universal animation, while the selectable one is just for ground assassinations.

Yup. 

Hopefully @@Sal1ent can offer some clarification on it and if we will be able to choose a number of assassinations depends on how it was initiated or if you can only customize one and hope you initiate it from the appropriate place that your custom one will trigger.

I'm not saying the addition of the new stuff makes up for the lack of "bits and bobs" (although I think it's a fairly minor issue), I'm saying there's going to be more customisation than H3.

Eh, given the choice, I'd pick Halo 3's system over 5. Armor is the most important piece of customization to me. Extra stuff like weapon skins, effects, and whatnot is just icing on the cake. But there's still needs to be a cake.

Though, don't forget that Halo 3 also allowed you to play as an Elite, and they had a decent amount of armor as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tell that to CSGO players. 

My post is opinionated lol, some people may enjoy skins. 

I'll have to wait to see how it really is, how dynamic the skins can be. 

As I understand it, choosing a custom assassination (this isn't necessary BTW, you can simply use the default library of assassinations to draw from), biases the game systems to trigger that assassination whenever possible/appropriate. That doesn't mean it will always play as each assassination animation has specific contextual requirements so that it doesn't look borked. So essentially you're saying, "if possible I would like to stab people in the face like THIS."

• Upvote (+1) 8

Supporting interchangeable parts creates limits on the types of designs that can be created, the variety of skins that can be supported and the quality that can be achieved.

I understand that the team doesn't like to be restricted, but severely limiting the player instead isn't going to win one many favors. Hell, many people consider Reach's armor system and visual designs to be the best in the series, and obviously, that gave the player plenty of choice. So it's not like quality armor and customizable armor are two mutually exclusive things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh, given the choice, I'd pick Halo 3's system over 5. Armor is the most important piece of customization to me. Extra stuff like weapon skins, effects, and whatnot is just icing on the cake. But there's still needs to be a cake.

Though, don't forget that Halo 3 also allowed you to play as an Elite, and they had a decent amount of armor as well.

I feel like most of the bits and bobs only have a minor change which is hardly noticeable. Things like legs and forearms make hardly any difference. Personally I'd rather have skins.

Supporting interchangeable parts creates limits on the types of designs that can be created, the variety of skins that can be supported and the quality that can be achieved. So what you gain in one sense (user-selectable accessories), causes tradeoffs in another. We didn't find the helmet accessories and interchangeable shoulders, forearms, etc. as compelling as the breadth and diversity of high quality content we want to support. It's a tradeoff that some will embrace and adore while others will lament. Check out the system and the content available before you cast judgment.

Will the armour skins be visible even in team game modes?

Because stuff like your armour colour is only visible in rumble etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like most of the bits and bobs only have a minor change which is hardly noticeable. Things like legs and forearms make hardly any difference.

Your forearms and legs are literally the only things you can see of your Spartan while in-game. Well, sometimes you can catch a glimpse of your shoulder too during a melee animation.

Supporting interchangeable parts creates limits on the types of designs that can be created, the variety of skins that can be supported and the quality that can be achieved. So what you gain in one sense (user-selectable accessories), causes tradeoffs in another. We didn't find the helmet accessories and interchangeable shoulders, forearms, etc. as compelling as the breadth and diversity of high quality content we want to support. It's a tradeoff that some will embrace and adore while others will lament. Check out the system and the content available before you cast judgment.

So far it seems people have checked the content and judged how much they don't like it and are being ignored. Just look at the MEGA thread on Halo Waypoint about Elites. A three year old thread with people wanting an answer for no elites and got ignored. From my understandings of what is going on in that thread is that they know why now and it's a seems like the problem was one that could of been solved but just didn't take priority over the various amounts of skins in the game. Making the Sangheili fans go wild.

I'm surprised they're not scalping 343i members right now.

• Downvote (-1) 7

Your forearms and legs are literally the only things you can see of your Spartan while in-game. Well, sometimes you can catch a glimpse of your shoulder too during a melee animation.

In 343i's defense, Halo 4's armors were barley different from each other so the change is understandable.

Also to be fair, that is their fault since they made that game. In Reach and 3 you could actually tell the difference between players armors in just about ever aspect in game. I remember my friends calling out who was good and bad in a game by their armor. Sometimes we would have to get right down too the side pouch.