CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Amazing news. In the end, releasing stuff like that for third parties can also end up saving 343 a lot of time, and it leaves room for certain people to come up with out-of-the-box features that other people (343 included) wouldn't think of otherwise. One of the examples that come to mind is one which DestinyTracker did, and it was this unique feature that let players preview shaders for their armor without needing to own them, while the game itself (AND Bungie's site) was still lacking a feature like that. That's among a lot of other features like leaderboards and extensive stat-tracking of course.

Some people might also remember HaloCharts from around 2007 to 2011. It was host to the biggest Halo leaderboards and stats available online (even when compared to Bungie's), with very extensive breakdowns on just about everything you can think of, unique in-depth formulas to determine skill and rate players based on that, various online events... I think at the time of its shutdown, it had around 300k registered members.

It's just to put into perspective the potential there is. I'm glad to hear 343 will be pushing for an API. Don't skimp on it, because the investment will DEFINITELY return tenfold for Halo as a whole.

MetaHalo had a really cool feature that no other websites had. You could check how many times you matched a player, see who had the most wins against each other. I am not sure if you could watch the specific games because I don't remember, but I think so.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

With BattleFront and Call of duty on this Holiday

Halo 5 is already dead

You're so cool, thanks for stopping by! 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Halo 5 is already dead

SSsshuuurrraaaa dddoonnn'ttt ssaaayyy ddaaaattt. Time for aa ttimmmee ooouuuttt

Saying "I understand why people are upset" doesn't nullify the rest of your post, in the same way that "with all due respect" doesn't lessen an insult. I quoted the part of your post that mattered, the part that conveyed your attitude and opinion.

I just don't understand why I should care about something that doesn't affect me. In fact the only impact split-screen has had on me in the past ten years is negative. I would constantly be matched with a dude and his guest(s) and either absolutely stomp on them if they were on the opposing team, or watch them be completely useless on my team. 

In order for Bungie to keep them in multiplayer for Halo: Reach, they all but stopped putting Forge maps in matchmaking for a long time until forgers compensated for them to ensure split-screen was a 'smooth' experience. This ultimately stopped some decent maps being added to matchmaking for a long time and was the one of the main reasons Invasion didn't see any maps for a while.

I get that it sucks for the small number of people who use split-screen on Halo but I'm not suddenly going to pretend I cared about the feature and demand it is re-added somehow. 

I don't get what you expect me to do. Start signing petitions, shit post 343 on reddit like 90% of other people are?

It sucks that it's gone and I feel for those people, if they want to try and get it back, good for them but I'm not suddenly going to change my opinion or attitude because it finally get removed.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

11042941_835521193200509_836171084435562

Worth mentioning this isn't the Halo 5 console, it's a custom made SDCC console that they do every year.

Somebody made a comment earlier that they're concerned that war zone is getting to much attention from 343 then arena (HCS). Well keep in mind, they want it to be big so more players play it = more players buy REQ packs = bigger prize pool for HCS. So we want it to be big (if I'm correct that REQ packs funds the prize pool)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 is already dead

Star Wars and Halo for me. I know it's Treyarch but it's still CoD and I haven't spent my own money on a CoD game since MW3 and probably won't get the game until Christmas if it's good. I'm sure my roommates will get it if I don't

Halo 5 is already dead

battlefront looks like a joke, it's half of battlefront 2 on the battlefield engine.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And that's made you sound like a douche. I play on a gaming monitor and my room is tiny as hell. If I'm going to play with friends, I'm not going to ask them to come into my shitty room and play on a small monitor and play a game that's going to run with a shitty frame rate. 

I'd rather both I and friends did it from the comfort of our own homes and setups.

Some people just don't care about split screen and think it's hindered Halo, forcing the dev to support it rather than making the single screen experience better. I've personally used split-screen all of about twice since 2007 and I don't mind that it's gone. 

I understand why people are upset and they have legitimate complaints.

Moa has no friends.

• Downvote (-1) 9

battlefront looks like a joke, it's half of battlefront 2 on the battlefield engine.

Not sure if serious. Engine is called Frostbite. And looks way more impressive than halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm just as disappointed about the lack of split screen but at least Halo 5 had any feedback applied to it, unlike Halo 4 which pretty much stopped existing a month or two after its E3 presentation.

I'm not a fan of reducing ammo on the sniper. It reduces the impact of the gun and I personally like seeing highly skilled snipers have impact on the game. Disagree completely.

There is nothing wrong with reducing the time in a game where power weapons are not in play - in fact, it is likely preferable.

If you look at it another way, lower ammo counts allow faster respawns and therefore more snipers on the map. Every additional sniper (theoretically) that would have otherwise been combined into just one or two is now in the hands of an additional player. More snipers in play leads to more sick plays and more potential for momentum changes.

I do think that the sniper rifle itself should be changed, however. It was far too easy to use in the beta (they might have made it that way specifically to keep new players temporarily, not that I agree with that philosophy either). I would prefer that the sniper return to its role in Halo CE on the original Xbox. It's more supplementary and much more skillful. Making the sniper more difficult will encourage people to challenge more at range, mitigating the stagnancy that results from one team dominating with one and the other hiding. Additionally, it would be nice if I could respect montage clips for the kills themselves again rather than the length of a multikill chain or the accompanying flashy screen effects.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 at SDCC: http://news.xbox.com/2015/07/xbox-xbox-at-sdcc-2015

• Halo 5: Guardians “Breakout” Comes to Life: Don’t miss the Halo 5: Guardians Breakout Arena at the Xbox Lounge, brought to you by BOOMco!  Team up with your friends, suit up with armor, load out with the new iconic Halo Blasters from BOOMco, and test your skills in a real-life re-creation of the Halo 5: Guardians “Breakout” multiplayer mode.
  • Halo 5: Guardians at the Xbox Booth (#100 in SDCC): Be one of the first to play Warzone, the brand new Halo 5: Guardians massive-scale multiplayer mode we unveiled at E3, as it makes its first public hands-on appearance. Dive into epic 24-player battles with both friendly and enemy AI to complete a variety of objectives, and try to keep your cool and as the action keeps getting more and more intense.

• Hunt For the Truth: Following the Trail of the Halo 5: Guardians Story (Room 6BCF: Friday, July 10, 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.) Join 343 Industries and special guests as they examine the compelling and prolific storytelling in and around Halo 5: Guardians. This panel will bring new insight into the mysteries surrounding the Master Chief, and sneak peeks of the stories we have yet to tell. Q&A session following.
  • Building the Halo Universe with the Collectible Mega Bloks Series (Room 24ABC: Sunday, July 12, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.) A worldwide fan-base of passionate players building an epic universe beyond gameplay. With over 65 million Halo game titles and over 35 million Mega Bloks Halo sets sold, some of the world's most hyper-engaged fans are bringing the Halo universe to life through construction, helping to shape this legendary world in their own way. Fans can expect teasers of the new Mega Bloks Spring '16 line and a look back at the history of Halo and Mega Bloks, info on how the games become builds with behind-the-scenes stories and making-of moments, why Halo chose Mega Bloks, and what's next for both brands.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 at SDCC: http://news.xbox.com/2015/07/xbox-xbox-at-sdcc-2015

• Halo 5: Guardians “Breakout” Comes to Life: Don’t miss the Halo 5: Guardians Breakout Arena at the Xbox Lounge, brought to you by BOOMco!  Team up with your friends, suit up with armor, load out with the new iconic Halo Blasters from BOOMco, and test your skills in a real-life re-creation of the Halo 5: Guardians “Breakout” multiplayer mode.
  • Halo 5: Guardians at the Xbox Booth (#100 in SDCC): Be one of the first to play Warzone, the brand new Halo 5: Guardians massive-scale multiplayer mode we unveiled at E3, as it makes its first public hands-on appearance. Dive into epic 24-player battles with both friendly and enemy AI to complete a variety of objectives, and try to keep your cool and as the action keeps getting more and more intense.

• Hunt For the Truth: Following the Trail of the Halo 5: Guardians Story (Room 6BCF: Friday, July 10, 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.) Join 343 Industries and special guests as they examine the compelling and prolific storytelling in and around Halo 5: Guardians. This panel will bring new insight into the mysteries surrounding the Master Chief, and sneak peeks of the stories we have yet to tell. Q&A session following.
  • Building the Halo Universe with the Collectible Mega Bloks Series (Room 24ABC: Sunday, July 12, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.) A worldwide fan-base of passionate players building an epic universe beyond gameplay. With over 65 million Halo game titles and over 35 million Mega Bloks Halo sets sold, some of the world's most hyper-engaged fans are bringing the Halo universe to life through construction, helping to shape this legendary world in their own way. Fans can expect teasers of the new Mega Bloks Spring '16 line and a look back at the history of Halo and Mega Bloks, info on how the games become builds with behind-the-scenes stories and making-of moments, why Halo chose Mega Bloks, and what's next for both brands.

So no Arena at SDCC? Fuckkkk

So no Arena at SDCC? Fuckkkk

Gamescom is literally going to be all about HCS.

If you look at it another way, lower ammo counts allow faster respawns and therefore more snipers on the map. Every additional sniper (theoretically) that would have otherwise been combined into just one or two is now in the hands of an additional player. More snipers in play leads to more sick plays and more potential for momentum changes.

I do think that the sniper rifle itself should be changed, however. It was far too easy to use in the beta (they might have made it that way specifically to keep new players temporarily, not that I agree with that philosophy either). I would prefer that the sniper return to its role in Halo CE on the original Xbox. It's more supplementary and much more skillful. Making the sniper more difficult will encourage people to challenge more at range, mitigating the stagnancy that results from one team dominating with one and the other hiding. Additionally, it would be nice if I could respect montage clips for the kills themselves again rather than the length of a multikill chain or the accompanying flashy screen effects.

Trust me Gobias, there were very few people advocating for a Halo game that was baed on the fundamental principles of CE - but it's clear that we are never getting that and the game has moved on into a different direction entirely. We are at a point where it is best to be pragmatic and see what works within the particular context rather than plug in elements of CE piecemeal. Let us not forget that the CE sniper's role in the sandbox and its presence in the game was dictated by and contingent on the primary weapon (the pistol). Similarly, we have to look at the sniper in Halo 5 within the context of the sandbox, etc.

The harder the sniper is, the more ammo it would need to spawn with since we would expect more shots to be missed. Having the sniper spawn regularly is a good thing, but that does not mean you have to compromise the amount of ammo - I'm not advocating for fewer spawns in my post. Have a relatively quick respawn combined with the regular ammo count is all we need.