CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Doesn't matter what the game looks like compared to how it plays. SSB Brawl looks closer to Melee than SSB4 does and Brawl is still a pile of shit compared to both. You have to be unwilling to be unable to look past how stuff like Smart Scope looks compared to how it behaves in relation to classic scope vs. ADS.

And I'm not sure if it's truthful to say you aren't looking back when you spend a fair amount of time telling people how much you think the game won't deliver.

Feel is a big thing to me as well, I was simply showing how visually horrendous the Halo series has become and how unlike the original simple and clear visual style of the trilogy it is. Aesthetics do matter very much and impact gameplay as you can see by the comparison of those two Midship pics. Plus to say Smartscope is merely aesthetics is BS dev PR talk and you should formulate that opinion for yourself instead of buying into the hype. I am sure many of you would switch over to games that are actually closer to the spirit of the original Halo if you were fortunate to be a dual-platform gamer like I have been for many years. Only reason I am still here is for the community(and because I still play MCC occasionally), and the hope that the developers would head our call.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Feel is a big thing to me as well, I was simply showing how visually horrendous the Halo series has become and how unlike the original simple and clear visual style of the trilogy it is. Asthetics do matter very much and impact gameplay as you can see by the comparison of those two Midship pics.I am sure many of you would switch over to games that are actually closer to the spirit of the original Halo if you were fortunate to be a dual-platform gamer like I have been for many years. Only reason I am still here is for the community(and because I still play MCC occasionally), and the hope that the developers would head our call.

When it comes to aesthetics, there will be as many opinions as there are players.  For example, I prefer 343's Forerunner aesthetics to Bungie's.  I prefer the look of Truth to Midship.  And not by a small margin.  My primary issue with 343 and visuals is the overuse of lighting effects . . . that needs to be toned down - especially on the darker maps like Truth.  But as long as the Prophet's Bane doesn't shine like a million candlepower strobe light, I have no issue picking out players from the background cross-map.  The lighting effects made Truth difficult to play at times, not the aesthetic design.

This is entirely my opinion, and I respect that others have different ones.

• Upvote (+1) 2

When it comes to aesthetics, there will be as many opinions as there are players.  For example, I prefer 343's Forerunner aesthetics to Bungie's.  I prefer the look of Truth to Midship.  And not by a small margin.  My primary issue with 343 and visuals is the overuse of lighting effects . . . that needs to be toned down - especially on the darker maps like Truth.  But as long as the Prophet's Bane doesn't shine like a million candlepower strobe light, I have no issue picking out players from the background cross-map.  The lighting effects made Truth difficult to play at times, not the aesthetic design.

Truth looked sexy.

I love the organic Alien look they have in H5.

The feel of the game is important to me and ever since Halo 4 it's been a continual disappointment.

I could go into detail but I won't because I'd be sitting here ranting all day about things no one on a competitive forum probably cares that much about.

Basically I consider it spoonfed sci-fi ("Flashier and more Convoluted = More Futuristic").  Visually unappealing, and uninspired.

You don't need to make Forerunners magic to make me believe they are an advanced race.  I mean for fucks sake, I'm standing on A CUSTOM-BUILT PLANET, with multiple intentional climates and layers.  That alone is enough to leave someone awestruck.

I am sure many of you would switch over to games that are actually closer to the spirit of the original Halo if you were fortunate to be a dual-platform gamer like I have been for many years. Only reason I am still here is for the community(and because I still play MCC occasionally), and the hope that the developers would head our call.

There aren't really any games out there these days that are like Halo.

Yeah, I tried Quake, I think it's a good game, but the only similarity it has with Halo is that it loosely fits into what people perceive as being the same genre.

I'd rather just play Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lighting at textures looked far better now than during the beta. My only real issue is that some weapons obstruct too much of the screen.

It would be hilarious if the community wasn't so bitter about things.

How can fans who agree with 343's decisions possible dislike a direct quote and image by 343?

I'm just trying to spread 343's vision.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Not to pile on, but it's hard to complain too much about 343's aesthetics affecting gameplay more than Bungie when you consider maps like Gemini or Burial Mounds with extraordinarily dark places for players to hide in.

Not to pile on, but it's hard to complain too much about 343's aesthetics affecting gameplay more than Bungie when you consider maps like Gemini or Burial Mounds with extraordinarily dark places for players to hide in.

True it existed in Bungie games, but it wasn't as common.

Battle Creek in Ce for example is bright and clear for both teams.  Easy identification.

As a BTB scrubby, I'm pretty pissed about no BTB at launch. I worry when 343 say "soon". I hope it wont be a long wait.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where has it been shown it will work? If I remember the beta correctly it was basically the same as mcc regarding problems finding games and not finding your own ranks. It was a beta after all but the trend is there.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Were you actually impressed with doom?

No, but Bethesda has no esport

As of QCon last year they said there was only going to be coop multiplayer and no deathmatch

Something changed and changed quickly over the past year, maybe had it to do with QL rehash bombing

They clearly see how well GO is doing and want to tap into that success

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a BTB scrubby, I'm pretty pissed about no BTB at launch. I worry when 343 say "soon". I hope it wont be a long wait.

Well they said soon for ranks and I don't need to tell you how long those took :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wasn't talking about the look of the map FYI...was more talking about the overuse of lighting/light bloom, cluttered geometry and sight-lines that seems to be a staple of 343 map design, and the aesthetics of the weapons specifically when in smart-scope. Being an older gamer, this obviously bothers me more than most people who grew up with this generation of shooters.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well they said soon for ranks and I don't need to tell you how long those took :D

Yes, that's why I worry.

Feel is a big thing to me as well, I was simply showing how visually horrendous the Halo series has become and how unlike the original simple and clear visual style of the trilogy it is. Aesthetics do matter very much and impact gameplay as you can see by the comparison of those two Midship pics. Plus to say Smartscope is merely aesthetics is BS dev PR talk and you should formulate that opinion for yourself instead of buying into the hype. I am sure many of you would switch over to games that are actually closer to the spirit of the original Halo if you were fortunate to be a dual-platform gamer like I have been for many years. Only reason I am still here is for the community(and because I still play MCC occasionally), and the hope that the developers would head our call.

I'm not deluded enough to pretend Smart Scope doesn't have an effect on weapons, nor am I spreading PR bullshit. I'm just aware enough to realize it's not much more than an extension of the zoom system applied to all weapons. Sure ARs have reduced spread, but it won't matter in a gunfight vs. a precision weapon since you get kicked out of scope anyway. The scope-in animations have been sped up to make it very close to (if not faster than) classic zoom, so at the end of the day, the overall impact is negligible compared to the amount of new players it might help bring in.

Also, I want to point out that I don't believe Halo ever needed something like that to appeal to the masses and be popular. But I'm not turning this into a bigger deal than it is.

As for aesthetics, I happen to dislike a lot how spartans look (and hilariously enough, it's one thing I'll get to see every single game no matter what I play), but how could I let that prevent me from enjoying the game for what it is? Would I ever call Halo CE bad based on how awkward the animations are? Would I call Ocarina of Time a pile of shit because the Great Fairy has pointy boobs? Would I call Melee a trash game because you can wavedash and it looks out of place? Never.

Getting burned 3 games in a row can do weird things to a persons mind. I'm sure you played into the "wait till you play it", "Pros says its the best game ever", "this time we get it", "Arena Gameplay", "Ranks", "coming soon" PR speak. Halo can't afford another flop, and people are just skeptical.   

Yeah, but we also got hands-on experiences with the beta. At this point we know what to expect with like a 5-10% margin of error. I'll be the first one to tell people that I don't think it's a good idea to pre-order, but at some point, you gotta live and let live instead of shitting on reasons people have to get excited. If it's not for you, it's as simple as that.

And if, for some reason, in the end, you're right and people are disappointed again, then that's all there is to it. Shame on them for not knowing any better. But I'm afraid there's no special prize for being right, and there certainly isn't one for being a buzzkill. At least you weren't a sucker who got fooled and disappointed.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Wasn't talking about the look of the map FYI...was more talking about the overuse of lighting/light bloom, cluttered geometry and sight-lines that seems to be a staple of 343 map design, and the aesthetics of the weapons specifically when in smart-scope. Being an older gamer, this obviously bothers me more than most people who grew up with this generation of shooters.

this I can understand, but I look at weapons like the assault rifle, light rifle and carbine and I can't help but like the design(the ar could show more of the screen though and still keep that side view aim). It's really the pistols and precision weapons that are kinda generic, and some of the power weapons( not all but some ).

Great post @@Vetoed

Just want to point out that smart-scope benefits have been nerfed significantly for automatics; just look at the AR in Warzone now... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not deluded enough to pretend Smart Scope doesn't have an effect on weapons, nor am I spreading PR bullshit. I'm just aware enough to realize it's not much more than an extension of the zoom system applied to all weapons. Sure ARs have reduced spread, but it won't matter in a gunfight vs. a precision weapon since you get kicked out of scope anyway. The scope-in animations have been sped up to make it very close to (if not faster than) classic zoom, so at the end of the day, the overall impact is negligible compared to the amount of new players it might help bring in.

Also, I want to point out that I don't believe Halo ever needed something like that to appeal to the masses and be popular. But I'm not turning this into a bigger deal than it is.

As for aesthetics, I happen to dislike a lot how spartans look (and hilariously enough, it's one thing I'll get to see every single game no matter what I play), but how could I let that prevent me from enjoying the game for what it is? Would I ever call Halo CE bad based on how awkward the animations are? Would I call Ocarina of Time a pile of shit because the Great Fairy has pointy boobs? Would I call Melee a trash game because you can wavedash and it looks out of place? Never.

Yeah, but we also got hands-on experiences with the beta. At this point we know what to expect with like a 5-10% margin of error. I'll be the first one to tell people that I don't think it's a good idea to pre-order, but at some point, you gotta live and let live instead of shitting on reasons people have to get excited. If it's not for you, it's as simple as that.

And if, for some reason, in the end, you're right and people are disappointed again, then that's all there is to it. Shame on them for not knowing any better. But I'm afraid there's no special prize for being right, and there certainly isn't one for being a buzzkill. At least you weren't a sucker who got fooled and disappointed.

actually smart scope doesn't look like its reducing spread anymore on autos or other weapons. The most it does it change the firing mode on power weapons like the plasma caster and hydra.

actually smart scope doesn't look like its reducing spread anymore on autos or other weapons. The most it does it change the firing mode on power weapons like the plasma caster and hydra.

I don't think it's 100% gone, the post-beta blog said it was reduced. Kinda hard to tell how much without a hands-on experience. The AR is also nowhere near as strong overall too, so that's a factor.

I for one can't wait for Halo 5. I really just couldn't get into MCC because of how bad it was at release, and just got tired of waiting. If I did play MCC it was meh. I felt like I played the game so much already, but wanted to play something new.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Although I'm late, but I was pretty bummed out by not being able to play campaign split screen. I planned to play it with my friend, one who can't afford an Xbone, but now, that plan was shot to shit. Gonna' have to let him borrow the system/game down the line.

I don't think it's 100% gone, the post-beta blog said it was reduced. Kinda hard to tell how much without a hands-on experience. The AR is also nowhere near as strong overall too, so that's a factor.

the reticle doesn't change and it blooms out just as fast. The only thing 343 did was make the assault rifle more accurate all around, which some people say has been the case for other weapons as well.

Why would we need to wait to play it when we already have?

I was just listing examples of past things were fed to us, don't know why people started jumping on that factoid lol.

Where has it been shown it will work? If I remember the beta correctly it was basically the same as mcc regarding problems finding games and not finding your own ranks. It was a beta after all but the trend is there.

How can you have faith in a game that looks like H4.5? Unless he really liked H4, he's most likely going to be disappointed

• Downvote (-1) 7