CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well for campaign specifically the plasma pistol is potentially the best gun in the game barring rockets and  it being a flood mission. Not too many better ways to kill that obscene bullet sponge they like to call an Elite in some versions of legendary with skulls on. Unless you were implying that the PP is actually super OP compared to a pistol 

That is indeed what I was implying.

Why am I'm hyped and looking forward to playing this game when I didn't like the beta?

I think Halo is some kind of addiction for me.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why am I'm hyped and looking forward to playing this game when I didn't like the beta?

It has a lot of potential to be a good game.

It also has a lot of potential to be a train wreck

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dont feel bad, you and 95% of everyone else will fall prey to the hype machine, regardless of the game being terrible or not

• Upvote (+1) 2

The first thing I hear when I play that H5 video on Game Informer "The Goal was to try and redefine Halo for a new generation of players" http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/10/evolved-combat-how-halo-5-guardians-is-breaking-tradition.aspx

...No thanks 343 I have already read that book and I know how it ends. Seriously, I want to know when this approach has ever worked for any established game series. Its just a horrible mentality to have when trying to evolve a franchise the right way in my opinion. But hey,maybe this time it will work!

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You do realise that gold has always been required for online co-op... right?

So? All the other Halo games have splitscreen co-op, but not Halo 5.

Which means if you want to play co-op you and whoever else you want to play with needs to pay for XBL.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope that there will be a skull that allows you to turn off revives. The best Halo encounters always punish unintelligent play, and the introduction of your fireteam being able to revive you kind of rubs me the wrong way. It's essentially rewarding the player with another go after they screwed up.

I also hope they beef up the AI (I don't know what happened between Reach and Halo 4 but the AI took a noticeable turn for the worst), and change the save/checkpoint system. I have always though that the dynamic checkpoints were really dumb, and I'll never forget when I accidentally drove off a cliff in Reach, and it kept respawning me right at the point where I drove off. Just set hard checkpoints, I don't see the benefit of a dynamic ones over checkpoints which are hand placed.

We also need a "Rally Point Reached" notification or something, I can hardly count the times where the game said, "Chekpoint Reached," I'd quit, come back, and have to start back further than where I was.

You know what, just make checkpoints actual checkpoints. Sounds like a much simpler solution.

I hope that there will be a skull that allows you to turn off revives. 

I would love to have the ability to find them again as well

I would love to have the ability to find them again as well

Agreed on that front. People are always asking for larger levels, may as well put that size to use.

Heck, more side objectives or things to find other than skulls would be fairly sweet.

I think Legendary should have Revives permanently taken off, as in you cannot play anything above Normal with Revive.

I would like more creative Skill Gap skulls.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The whole revives thing could be awesome, because Republic Commando was tough, even when you could revive your teammates, and they could revive you.

All this talk of revives and squad orders makes it sound like I'm going to be playing Republic Commando 2 rather than Halo.

I liked Republic Commando but I'm not sure that's what I want for Halo 5's single player.

The GI issue says 1 player shooter (Multiplayer TBA)

Didn't GI used to put for multiplayer 1-16 for Halo? I think BTB, or a new version of BTB is on the horizon.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All this talk of revives and squad orders makes it sound like I'm going to be playing Republic Commando 2 rather than Halo.

I liked Republic Commando but I'm not sure that's what I want for Halo 5's single player.

there will likely be the same types of enemies, open levels, vehicles and familiar weapons. I'm not exactly worried that it won't feel like halo.

I feel the same. Its part of me now

I feel the same. Its part of me now

That's because technically, chemically, our subconscious binds to whatever we're most familiar with. You can hate what Halo has become, but if you lived in appreciation of Halo for so long it tends to stick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because it obstructed the view a lot.

Red: can't see.

6180a196171cd9a0f6d7a75325df796f.png

Oh, I see.  Personally I would've like to see some peripherals similar to the more recent CoD games, but that'll do. 

The GI issue says 1 player shooter (Multiplayer TBA)

Didn't GI used to put for multiplayer 1-16 for Halo? I think BTB, or a new version of BTB is on the horizon.

Nice catch!

• Upvote (+1) 3

and I'll never forget when I accidentally drove off a cliff in Reach, and it kept respawning me right at the point where I drove off. Just set hard checkpoints, I don't see the benefit of a dynamic ones over checkpoints which are hand placed.

The game is supposed to have a fail-safe that reverts you to the checkpoint before the last if it saved you in a spot with instant/guaranteed death around the corner.

And the problem with location-based checkpoints is the fact that you can easily miss them, especially in a game with a vast environment. That or you get saved in the middle of a battle/low on shields/in a dangerous spot. Or the save is triggered but not activated until you clear out the enemies (which then brings us back to the dynamic save system, meaning that the initial problem isn't solved at all). Seems simple on paper, but it's not.

The current system works fine IMO. It could be further improved by adding a manual trigger in the start menu to respawn in a designated safe area near your latest checkpoint.

The game is supposed to have a fail-safe that reverts you to the checkpoint before the last if it saved you in a spot with instant/guaranteed death around the corner.

And the problem with location-based checkpoints is the fact that you can easily miss them, especially in a game with a vast environment. That or you get saved in the middle of a battle/low on shields/in a dangerous spot. Or the save is triggered but not activated until you clear out the enemies (which then brings us back to the dynamic save system, meaning that the initial problem isn't solved at all). Seems simple on paper, but it's not.

The current system works fine IMO. It could be further improved by adding a manual trigger in the start menu to respawn in a designated safe area near your latest checkpoint.

Yeah, it did eventually revert me back, but it was still annoying to experience. lol

I wish every game had quick saves to avoid stuff like this, though you do make good points, and I wouldn't mind seeing your suggestion implemented. It's more likely to make it in than a quick save feature is, that's for sure.

Not to get off-topic but how come everyone on this forum shat on me when I was raising a fuss over no 4 player split screen custom games and now they are shatting on 343 for no 2 player split screen campaign. Are the 2 not of equal value?

Because let's face it, Split screen was going to die inventively. It has been getting worse since Halo: Reach with some objects that don't effect the game gone compared to playing by yourself to having Halo 4 where the HUD was fucked to shit. Not only that, having No ranking system in Halo Reach where split screening is allowed is absolutely annoying. And Halo 4 made it worse by allowing split screeners to play some ranked playlist.

I will always hate split screening with the exception of Campaign unless the game play is altered. In matchmaking, split screen players are nothing but cancer. They either really good players who happen to be on the other team, or you get split screen players on your team that blow bigger ass than Nicki Minaj's rap. Sometimes, you get both in the same game.

So yes, games that don't support split screen online multiplayer is a God send imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

It did horrible things to CE Anniversary.

On Topic: I'm hoping this transition to Windows 10 actually improves Halo's online...

Can E3 be over already so @@Sal1ent and @@Deez can pop in and chat. I want their responses and answers more than the trailers.  :flames:

Having read Frank O'Connor's justification for the absence of split-screen co-op in Halo 5 on NeoGAF:  http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167185496&postcount=866,  http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167186284&postcount=868; I understand that it's something that just isn't achievable for the game on the hardware it's attached to; it remains rather disappointing however. At this point, it would be good to get some confirmation from @@Sal1ent or @@Deez about whether two-player split screen multiplayer (that Josh tweeted about in December last year) is still in the game, as having at least some local multiplayer capability is important to a number of fans, myself included.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1