CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

No split-screen co-op..

Are we going back in time?

Not to get off-topic but how come everyone on this forum shat on me when I was raising a fuss over no 4 player split screen custom games and now they are shatting on 343 for no 2 player split screen campaign. Are the 2 not of equal value?

Not to get off-topic but how come everyone on this forum shat on me when I was raising a fuss over no 4 player split screen custom games and now they are shatting on 343 for no 2 player split screen campaign. Are the 2 not of equal value?

Because two player split-screen was already going to be a thing for MP. There is no way to play campaign in split-screen.

I wonder if we'll get more patchwork (damaged) armor, the Mark VI Scarred is one of the coolest sets no lie.

Going to answer a question with a question, why were you making people do a bunch of surveys and give personal information to advertising clients to hand out ODST pass codes?

The Xbox One is yet to run smoothly at all, I thought the updates from the past four months or so would actually improve its performance. It's worse than Vista on a dying hard drive. Okay maybe not that bad but sequential/core applications take up to a minute for some reason to boot.

It needs a massive performance boost

Why would they change it in the first place? 

Because it obstructed the view a lot.

Red: can't see.

6180a196171cd9a0f6d7a75325df796f.png

Because two player split-screen was already going to be a thing for MP. There is no way to play campaign in split-screen.

But 2 player split screen custom games as opposed to 4 is an equal downgrade. Both features have had their player limits cut in half.

2 player split screen takes a lot less power than 4 player split screen

But 2 player split screen custom games as opposed to 4 is an equal downgrade. Both features have had their player limits cut in half.

Right, but it is still playable. Four player split screen for MP would have made the game for one player look significantly worse. They'd have to make the game look worse by default just so when they cut it down even more for the four player split screen, it would still look ok.

Rendering the game twice rather than four times is preferred.

Because it obstructed the view a lot.

Red: can't see.

6180a196171cd9a0f6d7a75325df796f.png

Hard to fully tell but it doesn't look like vision is totally obstructed around the scope.

I much much prefer the new scope, even if it is purely a familiarity thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 player split screen takes a lot less power than 4 player split screen

Right, but it is still playable. Four player split screen for MP would have made the game for one player look significantly worse.

Sorry guys but that isn't the point. Either way you look at it, it's an equal downgrade.

Why cant they just downgrade the graphics for split screen play ONLY? And have them be normal when in single-screen?

Sorry guys but that isn't the point. Either way you look at it, it's an equal downgrade.

Why cant they just downgrade the graphics for split screen play ONLY? And have them be normal when in single-screen?

Define equal

Define equal

Player count cut in half.

Custom games and online:

Previous Halo games - 4 players

Halo 5 - 2 players

Campaign co-op:

Previous Halo games - 2 players

Halo 5 - 1 player

• Downvote (-1) 1

Hard to fully tell but it doesn't look like vision is totally obstructed around the scope.

I much much prefer the new scope, even if it is purely a familiarity thing.

I think it is. I'm assuming the thing on the left is just metal from the DMR, surrounding the lens, which would make sense if it's just a closer-perspective version of the old scope.

Nobody is saying it isn't a downgrade but the point is, four player split screen would have hurt Halo 5 more than it would have benefited the six people who still used it in 2015. 

For split screen, the game has to render items per how many people are currently playing. If it's four players, it has to render the game four times. Bungie and 343 tried to make it a lot better in the past by decreasing the visual fidelity of everything and even then, the game ran like shit. 

Cutting it down to two players is a lot more desirable than cutting it entirely. If 343 are confident they can keep a steady 60fps with the game needing to render twice, then let them do it. 

We shouldn't be punishing the people who play on a single screen because six people want to play with their friends in a living room that one time.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Define equal

He wants you to take a bunch of surveys and put your information out there to Google and AdSense to obtain a free ODST code, I don't think he will provide a valid definition.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Nobody is saying it isn't a downgrade but the point is, four player split screen would have hurt Halo 5 more than it would have benefited the six people who still used it in 2015. 

For split screen, the game has to render items per how many people are currently playing. If it's four players, it has to render the game four times. Bungie and 343 tried to make it a lot better in the past by decreasing the visual fidelity of everything and even then, the game ran like shit. 

Cutting it down to two players is a lot more desirable than cutting it entirely. If 343 are confident they can keep a steady 60fps with the game needing to render twice, then let them do it. 

We shouldn't be punishing the people who play on a single screen because six people want to play with their friends in a living room that one time.

Maybe you missed this part of my post:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Player count cut in half.

Custom games and online:

Previous Halo games - 4 players

Halo 5 - 2 players

Campaign co-op:

Previous Halo games - 2 players

Halo 5 - 1 player

So from what I'm understanding from your first post is that you think no split screen co op in Campaign is the equivalent of reducing MP split screen to 2 players?

If you got paint skills, we'll allow it.

Part of me wants to think this is about the image I posted, but then you said something about skills...

• Upvote (+1) 1

So from what I'm understanding from your first post is that you think no split screen co op in Campaign is the equivalent of reducing MP split screen to 2 players?

That's another way to put it, but yes. The ratio of players to 1 TV screen is cut in half in both cases.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe you missed this part of my post:

They are doing that but Frankie said recently that the game relies on a steady 60fps for a lot of things. Halo 2 Anniversary is a fine example of this - if the game isn't running at a steady 60fps, the game literally slows down. Players have video proof of the multi-kill timer going past 4.5 seconds on Stonetown because that map can never keep a consistent 60fps.

Now if Halo 2 Anniversary, a game which is going to be significantly worse than Halo 5: Guardians in terms of graphics and stuff can't keep a consistent 60 on even a single screen, what on earth makes you think Halo 5: Guardians will keep a steady 60fps with four players?

It won't. 

They aren't (at least not for Halo 5) going to re-do the way the entire game works just so they can literally please you and five others who still split screen with more than one other friend. 

I think it is. I'm assuming the thing on the left is just metal from the DMR, surrounding the lens, which would make sense if it's just a closer-perspective version of the old scope.

I guess we'll see in time.

Even if it is though, I still much prefer the visual of being in the scope to having a cock-eyed view of the scope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's another way to put it, but yes. The ratio of players to 1 TV screen is cut in half in both cases.

But in one case the feature was completely removed while in another case it's still there but reduced. Sure on paper it's technically sliced in half but in reality you don't have something anymore.

They are doing that but Frankie said recently that the game relies on a steady 60fps for a lot of things. Halo 2 Anniversary is a fine example of this - if the game isn't running at a steady 60fps, the game literally slows down. Players have video proof of the multi-kill timer going past 4.5 seconds on Stonetown because that map can never keep a consistent 60fps.

Now if Halo 2 Anniversary, a game which is going to be significantly worse than Halo 5: Guardians in terms of graphics and stuff can't keep a consistent 60 on even a single screen, what on earth makes you think Halo 5: Guardians will keep a steady 60fps with four players?

It won't. 

They aren't (at least not for Halo 5) going to re-do the way the entire game works just so they can literally please you and five others who still split screen with more than one other friend.

H2A 4 player split screen works fine for me. I doubt the reason it appears broken is because of 4 player split screen. The entire MCC is broken.

Most split screen players are casual and don't give a f*ck about framerate. Plus if they lowered the resolution and textures enough, 60 FPS still wouldn't be possible? Or is 343 just lazy?

But in one case the feature was completely removed while in another case it's still there but reduced. Sure on paper it's technically sliced in half but in reality you don't have something anymore.

4 player split screen is a feature.

• Downvote (-1) 1