CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

TU bloom isn't even that bad. When I go back to Reach now, no melee bleedthrough and no stopping power against sprint is a WAY bigger problem than bloom. Not even close.

What do you mean by TU bloom? The 75% or whatever nonsense they tried to add while I was too busy playing actual good gametypes without any of that shit? No idea why anyone would subject themselves to the disaster that was Reach once given the tools to avoid it

• Upvote (+1) 2

What do you mean by TU bloom? The 75% or whatever nonsense they tried to add while I was too busy playing actual good gametypes without any of that shit? No idea why anyone would subject themselves to the disaster that was Reach once given the tools to avoid it

Lol yeah the 85 bloom.  It wasn't that bad.  You never played BTB?

Lol yeah the 85 bloom.  It wasn't that bad.  You never played BTB?

Nope. I haven't actually had any desire to play anything outside of the competitive playlists in any game after H2. I'm really hoping for H5 to bring something fun to play casually and I actually do have hope for their BTB because H4 was actually probably best suited to being a BTB game. The game itself just wasn't fun to me.

Nope. I haven't actually had any desire to play anything outside of the competitive playlists in any game after H2. I'm really hoping for H5 to bring something fun to play casually and I actually do have hope for their BTB because H4 was actually probably best suited to being a BTB game. The game itself just wasn't fun to me.

Reach has the best BTB imo. I had more fun playing BTB than I did any other playlist. The sniper was too easy and that damn sticky launcher and weak vehicles made it nearly impossible to have a lot of fun in vehicles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playing Halo 4 today, forgot how fun the Railgun can be. Will it be in H5?

I asked Holmes about Railgun & Sticky Det. on Twitter a couple weeks ago, all he replied with was a smiley face.

And a leak/rumor said the Railgun was coming back. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know what you guys are on about, but the Railgun was the dumbest power weapon. The thing was easier to use than rockets. Guaranteed kills left and right and like 4-5 shots per spawn? 

Also had the glitched zoom on it which made it even more broken...

I hope it's gone, and if it's not, it better have a significant decrease in bullet magnetism.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know what you guys are on about, but the Railgun was the dumbest power weapon. The thing was easier to use than rockets. Guaranteed kills left and right and like 4-5 shots per spawn? 

I hope it's gone, and if it's not, it better have a significant decrease in bullet magnetism.

It was a good weapon apart from its high amount of aim assist. If it is coming back, it will be toned down hugely like every other weapon in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can we all just agree to have the Grenade Launcher as it was in Reach to come back? Probably one of the best weapons in Halo post CE.

I'd take that over the Railgun any day.

• Upvote (+1) 7

This is one of the biggest challenges as a developer, really. Every player is going to have a different set of experiences they love and care about from past Halos. In aggregate, that list is unmanageably large. Not just from the perspective of building them all for each game (since everything needs to be rebuilt, retuned and rebalanced for a new engine), but simply the overload of information (too many choices) and population density (not enough players in the smaller playlists to support quality play). That's why you see rotation of content in matchmaking and why we are focusing on a polished core set of game types for Halo 5. I would rather deliver a core set of experiences at launch that are truly awesome than a vast grab bag of experiences that feel half baked. They key of course is to make sure that we have the right core set. We'll be sharing more details about this closer to launch.

Is it possible to put classic gametypes that don't make the cut be put into a "grab bag" type playlist when they are not available in rotation?  It would solve some of the frustration that certain gametypes aren't available in matchmaking at all.  I haven't been much of a fan of rotating playlists but this would be better than nothing.

Is it possible to put classic gametypes that don't make the cut be put into a "grab bag" type playlist when they are not available in rotation?  It would solve some of the frustration that certain gametypes aren't available in matchmaking at all.  I haven't been much of a fan of rotating playlists but this would be better than nothing.

This is certainly possible. We've also talked about the potential for a community playlist that would feature cool stuff created by the community as curated by 343. We haven't locked final plans for playlists though.

I understand that it's an incredibly busy time for you and others at 343 in the lead up to E3, but would it be possible to get a reply to or some feedback on my post here: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9640-constructive-feedback-and-compromise-sal1ent/ regarding Halo 5?

Hey Mendicant - I've read your post and I'll try to find some time to respond this weekend.
  • Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We also have the most substantial post-launch support plans of any Halo title, which I will be talking about in more detail at E3 and beyond.

That's a large statement with Halo 2 & 3's post-support. In terms of multiplayer, are you talking about something beyond map packs?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey @@Sal1ent I know you said playlists aren't final but how do you feel about including classics like SWAT, Snipers, Infection, and possibly doubles at launch instead of "babying" them in for testing resulting waiting a month or 2 before they are made permanent?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Every player is going to have a different set of experiences they love and care about from past Halos.

I just hope you cater to players who like to search competitive games solo and offer us a ranked FFA hopper. The past few games have all lacked this and it's so frustrating to have to wait for good teammates to get on to search competitive games at a high level. If you don't do that, then winning is for the most part left up to luck (whether you get good or bad teammates) and I'm sure that's not the kind of experience you want to deliver with Halo 5.

Back in Halo 3, Lone Wolves was the kind of experience that allowed you to turn on your Xbox, get online, and search competitive matches without having to send invites or messages at all. It provides competitive matches without interruption and hassle, which is something a lot of people look forward to, and I feel it's more important than offering a specific and dedicated Matchmaking experience, like SWAT or snipers for example.

And please, for the love of everything that is good in the world, don't put objective or Regicide in there if ranked FFA does happen. The former promotes teaming up and cheating, the latter promotes doing bad on purpose.

Thanks for taking it into consideration.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Heya - I've been lurking around but haven't had time to post in a few weeks with E3 looming.

For me, this erodes what is the essence of Halo: the dance or the duel. A big part of what makes Halo multiplayer special is the fact that, unlike other shooters, you can react to an enemy's attack and turn the tables using superior skill. Unless the aggressor has a power weapon or manages to catch their prey well out of position, getting the drop on their opponent doesn't guarantee a kill. Heightened lethality would turn the game into "flashlight tag," flattening the encounters between players and making the game feel chaotic given the speed and capability of Spartans on the field. This would be even more pronounced w/ the new Spartan Abilities in Halo 5. It would also slow the game considerably at higher skill levels as players resort to peek shooting and turtling up in cover.

As a special game mode like SWAT or Breakout, greater lethality can be fun, but it doesn't make sense for the core Halo multiplayer experience. For Breakout, the greater lethality serves two purposes: speeding up resolution of rounds and allowing for individuals to outplay the opposing team in situations where they are outnumbered. Coming out of beta, we've been focused on motivating more map movement in Breakout by experimenting w/ placement of weapons, power-ups and objective. We don't want Breakout matches to devolve into constant camp-fests.

Without talking specifics, the general approach is to support CSR throughout the Arena experience (players can choose whether or not they care about CSR as a goal) and to deliver a focused set of Matchmaking playlists at launch. There will be a combination of new and returning game types at launch but don't expect every esoteric game type to be there. The focused approach means that we are building a core set of game types and polishing them to be great. We also have the most substantial post-launch support plans of any Halo title, which I will be talking about in more detail at E3 and beyond. We will continue to evolve the experience post-launch, delivering new content and experiences. I'm very passionate about supporting the game and using input from the community to help guide changes that we make. I see the HCFP being an important input into this process.

This is one of the biggest challenges as a developer, really. Every player is going to have a different set of experiences they love and care about from past Halos. In aggregate, that list is unmanageably large. Not just from the perspective of building them all for each game (since everything needs to be rebuilt, retuned and rebalanced for a new engine), but simply the overload of information (too many choices) and population density (not enough players in the smaller playlists to support quality play). That's why you see rotation of content in matchmaking and why we are focusing on a polished core set of game types for Halo 5. I would rather deliver a core set of experiences at launch that are truly awesome than a vast grab bag of experiences that feel half baked. They key of course is to make sure that we have the right core set. We'll be sharing more details about this closer to launch.

it's not really heightened lethality, players aren't stronger without shields per say, there just more vulnerable. Giving players the capacity to be more lethal at the cost of skill without weakening players, is probably the best thing you guys could do to the mp of h5.

This is certainly possible. We've also talked about the potential for a community playlist that would feature cool stuff created by the community as curated by 343. We haven't locked final plans for playlists though.

Fans have wanted this for as long as I can remember. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put something like that in the game once the fans have had time to create loads of amazing content.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fans have wanted this for as long as I can remember. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put something like that in the game once the fans have had time to create loads of amazing content.

It was always exciting to load info a lobby and see forge maps you've never seen before on both Reach and 4. So you aren't always playing e same maps over and over.

Also, Josh. FILE BROWSER. What are the plans for it? In my opinion and many others, it's imperative to the longevity of the game and substantial to the health of content creation and custom games. Please have a file browser that is equal or better than Reach's.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey @@Sal1ent I know you said playlists aren't final but how do you feel about including classics like SWAT, Snipers, Infection, and possibly doubles at launch instead of "babying" them in for testing resulting waiting a month or 2 before they are made permanent?

I second this. There WILL be enough players at launch so that a few extra playlists can be adequately populated. If you want players to stick with your game, give them a chance to find something they like. It's important not to make the playlists too homegenous (for example, Infinity drops in almost every gametype at the launch of Halo 4), or else players will assume the game has no potential. Even if an extra playlist is lacking sufficient numbers to run properly, players that enjoy it will have found some reason to stay and contribute to the community. The classics mentioned appeal to a wide range of players, most of whom will only be there at the game's launch unless something catches their attention.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey Mendicant - I've read your post and I'll try to find some time to respond this weekend.

Thanks, I appreciate it.