CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Gonna have to jump in and defend Meanbean a little here. I think what Meanbean is trying to say is that the context seemed to be bugs and things not being there that were originally intended to, seeing as Keys started the conversation by talking about MCC not working properly. And Halo 4 wasn't intended to have ranks as far as I can remember, so that wasn't technically something being broken. I can see where the confusion is coming in, but it's not a big deal. No ranks was a pain in the ass regardless.

Either way, I'd say Halo 4 definitely didn't ship as a working product. I was so excited for the file share thing to get working, but by the time it did I was long past caring. I'd love to think Halo 5 will be in a perfect working state at launch but I highly doubt it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No ranks is only an issue for games which play terribly.

I would say it's an issue as well when the game series had it at first then downgraded to none at all

Also this is not 2003 anymore, since Halo 2 onwards any game taking itself seriously needs a good Ranking system

I would say it's an issue as well when the game series had it at first then downgraded to none at all

Also this is not 2003 anymore, since Halo 2 onwards any game taking itself seriously needs a good Ranking system

halo ce had no ranking system.

halo ce had no ranking system.

I'm sorry, but what?

Putting ranks in Halo: CE would be kind of stupid imo. Split screen or System link, that's how CE worked.. How are you gonna rank up/down?

Decided to sit down and listen to all the current [9] Hunt The Truth episodes (was waiting for a bunch of them to pile up) and I have to go ahead and recommend it to anyone who hasn't done the same. At first I thought it was going to be somewhat boring background information on the lore, but it's a lot more than just that. It sets up an important part of the narrative for Halo 5 with some unexpected themes, and others that pick up right where Halo 4 left us with Master Chief's dilemma.

Didn't think I'd get excited for the Campaign and thought it'd be something similar to Halo 2's dual protagonist stuff, but it's looking to be like a massive internal conflict, similar to what the Covenant went through, except this time it's all on the humans but also within Chief himself... and that's while something even bigger is going on in the background.

If the Halo 5 plot is even half as good as this, then we're in for something huge.

I think this is the correct link to listen to all of them in one sitting: https://soundcloud.com/huntthetruth/sets/hunt-the-truth

• Upvote (+1) 2

Eh, its definitely an advantage, but I wouldn't call not having a ranking system an issue. Good game play is the main thing to having your game succeed on a competitive level. My comment was aimed more towards those people who say stuff like "I would have played Reach/Halo 4 if it had a good ranking system". I'll never understand why people are willing to play games they don't like just because it has ranks.

I'm sorry, but what?

Putting ranks in Halo: CE would be kind of stupid imo. Split screen or System link, that's how CE worked.. How are you gonna rank up/down?

You're missing the point - people are still playing CE today because it has good gameplay. Not having ranks (or even a real online mode) doesn't stop people playing because the game is so damn good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Decided to sit down and listen to all the current [9] Hunt The Truth episodes (was waiting for a bunch of them to pile up) and I have to go ahead and recommend it to anyone who hasn't done the same. At first I thought it was going to be somewhat boring background information on the lore, but it's a lot more than just that. It sets up an important part of the narrative for Halo 5 with some unexpected themes, and others that pick up right where Halo 4 left us with Master Chief's dilemma.

Didn't think I'd get excited for the Campaign and thought it'd be something similar to Halo 2's dual protagonist stuff, but it's looking to be like a massive internal conflict, similar to what the Covenant went through, except this time it's all on the humans but also within Chief himself... and that's while something even bigger is going on in the background.

If the Halo 5 plot is even half as good as this, then we're in for something huge.

I think this is the correct link to listen to all of them in one sitting: https://soundcloud.com/huntthetruth/sets/hunt-the-truth

Its extremely good. You don't have to know the halo story to follow along either which is a plus. The voice acting is incredible, especially towards the end of episode 9. One of the best halo media ever imo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its extremely good. You don't have to know the halo story to follow along either which is a plus. The voice acting is incredible, especially towards the end of episode 9. One of the best halo media ever imo

I agree, the actors also have done an insane job with it. I was legit getting into it and got nervous a few times because the actors manage to set the mood and atmosphere with just a few words, and even more so through their tone. I can't wait for the next episode.

I agree, the actors also have done an insane job with it. I was legit getting into it and got nervous a few times because the actors manage to set the mood and atmosphere with just a few words, and even more so through their tone. I can't wait for the next episode.

When Ben was delivering his speech to the Senators I was genuinely tense. The acting was seriously good in that part, you could hear the panic in his voice.

Cheers Vetoed! Don't know why it didn't occur to me to try the format which every other forum ever uses as well...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Side note: are spoiler tags a thing on Beyond?

Yes.

Use

and remember to close it with [/] at the end

You're missing the point - people are still playing CE today because it has good gameplay. Not having ranks (or even a real online mode) doesn't stop people playing because the game is so damn good.

CE doesn't have ranks because you can't play online man... A proper ranking system makes online matches fair and squared. People that played the game hours straight versus people that picked up the game minutes before the match, happens quite often when there's no proper ranking system.

If you're going to have a Halo game with an online multiplayer, a proper ranking system is a MUST. Having NO Ranking system DOES stop people playing the game. Example? Halo: CE - TMCC Edition. When you are matched with thumbless noobs that can barely move almost every single time, its frustrating, and the only thing that everyone that bought the game is to have fun, not to be destroyed by the other team and when you try your hardest you still lose like a moron thanks to your teammates. It is so much fun and feels good having a match with people of equal skills, even if you lose... you have fun. Getting spawn killed and destroyed over and over and over again, because your teammates don't know what they're doing, is just frustrating.

Destiny's Crucible; That shit doesn't have ranks. You go there and you can get the most professional players or the worst players in every single game. There's no ranks, no ranking system, nothing that can label each player so everyone can play with/against other people of similar skill.

Having an online game with no ranks or a proper ranking system its an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm sorry, but what?

I was just pointing out how the series started out without a ranking system to batchford who said that it did, not that it should've had one, clearly that wouldn't work on consoles at the time, though PC may have been able to get away with having one.

Lore for 343's Halo is based on Star Wars:

-Halo 4 was "A New Hope", which was a fairly well-recieved movie that had flaws which irked a lot of discerning folks. 

-MCC is "The Empire Strikes Back", a moment of celebration marred by a series of unfortunate events, but ending on a hopeful look to the future. (Halo 5 Beta)

- Halo 5 is "The Return of the Jedi", a noble battle to survive, the results of which are yet to be known.

- Halo 6 is "The Force Awakens". we don't know shit about it except there will probably be a black guy in it.

EDIT: All Halo forums are the prequels.  (i liked some of the prequels but they were intolerable for most. (get it?))

I think the reclaimer trilogy is more like the prequels. 

I would say a custom game browser is pretty simple yet Halo 2-5 don't have it on XBL. Pretty dumb.

Halo 1 doesn't have ranks because it's 14 years old and not online. And in MCC it's a problem because I keep getting matched with noobs.

I understand its a feature people want, but I dont think not having ranks is considered an issue. The fact that social playlists have always been more popular than ranked shows that a decent amount of players aren't that interested in ranks - back when H3 was popular, you'd go into social slayer and half the players had less than 100 ranked games played. Even for competitive players, is lack of ranks that important? In my experience, anyone who is serious about getting good at the game is looking for customs and using MM to pass the time.

Ranks are one of many things that keep people interested in the game. Having no ranking system will have little, if any, effect on population if the game play is actually good. If the game is bad, then ranks can be something that keeps players interested despite the problems they have with the game.

So yeah, obviously I want ranks, but if they weren't there I would still play the game if I enjoyed it, and I imagine most people feel the same. Lacking features isn't something I would call an issue.

@@VinnyMendoza @@Batchford Ranks don't make a game good. However, I was referring to issues as bugs, not actual problems people had with the game in general. Sorry for assuming reading comprehension is used in here, lol.

its all good brah

Ranks imo are needed in every competitive game, I know that gameplay is important but I feel that it's wasted without a good ranking system

its all good brah

Ranks imo are needed in every competitive game, I know that gameplay is important but I feel that it's wasted without a good ranking system

I guess if it retains more "competitive players" and gives them incentive to win instead of just wanting to improve and be competitive naturally, then I can see ranks helping out the game a lot. I think Shadowrun made the right call not having any leaderboards, ranks, or long term stats. Especially after seeing how many issues Halo 2's ranking system caused with cheaters.

There are no ranks lanning 2v2 CE but I can still dedicate a whole weekend to it without being bored. Gameplay > Ranks, however gameplay doesn't mean that the core of the game is polished and the gameplay contains little to no bugs or issues. Gameplay has to be something deep that can evolve and offer various things in game that feel rewarding to the player.

I know I'm the minority on this.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I guess if it retains more "competitive players" and gives them incentive to win instead of just wanting to improve and be competitive naturally, then I can see ranks helping out the game a lot. I think Shadowrun made the right call not having any leaderboards, ranks, or long term stats. Especially after seeing how many issues Halo 2's ranking system caused with cheaters.

There are no ranks lanning 2v2 CE but I can still dedicate a whole weekend to it without being bored. Gameplay > Ranks, however gameplay doesn't mean that the core of the game is polished and the gameplay contains little to no bugs or issues. Gameplay has to be something deep that can evolve and offer various things in game that feel rewarding to the player.

I know I'm the minority on this.

I mean modern games, old ass games like H1 that came out in 01 get off the hook

CE doesn't have ranks because you can't play online man... A proper ranking system makes online matches fair and squared. People that played the game hours straight versus people that picked up the game minutes before the match, happens quite often when there's no proper ranking system.

If you're going to have a Halo game with an online multiplayer, a proper ranking system is a MUST. Having NO Ranking system DOES stop people playing the game. Example? Halo: CE - TMCC Edition. When you are matched with thumbless noobs that can barely move almost every single time, its frustrating, and the only thing that everyone that bought the game is to have fun, not to be destroyed by the other team and when you try your hardest you still lose like a moron thanks to your teammates. It is so much fun and feels good having a match with people of equal skills, even if you lose... you have fun. Getting spawn killed and destroyed over and over and over again, because your teammates don't know what they're doing, is just frustrating.

Destiny's Crucible; That shit doesn't have ranks. You go there and you can get the most professional players or the worst players in every single game. There's no ranks, no ranking system, nothing that can label each player so everyone can play with/against other people of similar skill.

What if this elaborate ranking system was implemented, but wasn't visible? Would that be enough to satisfy most of your complaints here? Or are you pushing for visible ranks because you want to see them and play for some incentive?

I mean modern games, old ass games like H1 that came out in 01 get off the hook

I think games recently NEED these visible incentive driven systems in game because the core gameplay has become so bland and forced within games.

1. Exactly.

2. Sarcasm?

No sarcasm, unless there's more of us out there lol. I really do feel like this is a minority opinion, maybe not around here though. I did call out Shadow's post because it sounds like the major problem he is having is unevenly skilled teams playing each other. You can still have a skill based matchmaking algorithm in place without having anything visible.

1.There are no ranks lanning 2v2 CE but I can still dedicate a whole weekend to it without being bored. 

2. I know I'm the minority on this.

1. Exactly.

2. Sarcasm?

Ranks are important in an online environment. There is no excuse for not having ranks in modern day Halo. Am I posting on bizarro TB? Literally everyone here was pissed that ranks weren't in the game for months.

I can dedicate whole weekends to CE on LAN with good players and switching up teams for fairness, yes. I'm not dedicating whole weekends to playing it online without ranks just pounding scrubs. It's boring. And rolling customs all weekend would be lame too. Customs aren't as fun because you don't have dedis on customs so the lag usually sucks badly.. like worse than p2p matchmaking for some reason. And it's not as fun playing customs with the same people over and over when they're not in the same house as you and you're isolated in your own chat totally disconnected from your opponents, even your own team if you don't have a local with you. Online is fun and addicting because you play anyone in the world and there is variety in gameplay style, and ranks are needed to make that work on a competitive level to keep you engaged for a long time. LAN is fun because you're already just hanging out with friends having a good time and Halo is adding to that.