CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hope the H5 soundtrack resembles halo a little more than H4 did :/ I have no preference between anything Marty has done, because they're all incredible. But Halo 4 really rubs me the wrong way.

Wonder what he's up to now..

I hope that 343 at least consults with Marty on the H5 OST. They had him on the H2A documentary, so I'd hope that they would have had him talk with the composers for H5 then if they aren't going to contract him.

I hope that 343 at least consults with Marty on the H5 OST. They had him on the H2A documentary, so I'd hope that they would have had him with the composers for H5 then if they aren't going to contract him.

There's a huge difference between talking in a documentary about a hugely successful game you helped with and literally helping other composers do their job for a title they have no part of.

There's a huge difference between talking in a documentary about a hugely successful game you helped with and literally helping other composers do their job for a title they have no part of.

Yes. That's why I used the word hope.

Nice new avi.

I hope Halo 5's soundtrack has some of Halo 2 Anniversary in it. There are moments in Halo 5's lore (say, the trailer) where Halo 2's OST would fit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

TDLR: Range good not bad, thus h5 pistol starts bad, BR starts better, DMR starts best.

I generally loled at this statement. The game will suffer like H2 and H4 did where the utility weapons were so easy to use across the map that even attempting to making a push usually was met with instant death.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I generally loled at this statement. The game will suffer like H2 and H4 did where the utility weapons were so easy to use across the map that even attempting to making a push usually was met with instant death.

Every slayer match would be a Lockout TS match.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we can all say that Halo 4's soundtrack was forgettable at best and horrendous at worse (the woman giving birth on the main menu song wasn't the best)

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think we can all say that Halo 4's soundtrack was forgettable at best and horrendous at worse (the woman giving birth on the main menu song wasn't the best)

It sounded like a bad remix of that woman crying towards the end of "Smack my Bitch Up" by Prodigy (not the real name I know)...

A HEEEEEEE A HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

LAAAAAAAAA DAAAAAAA DA DEEE DA 

AWWWWWWWW AWWWWWWW AWWWWWWWWWW

LEEEE DAWWW DAWWW DAW DAW 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lmao.  That's one way of putting it.

Yeah I don't know anyone outside of waypoint kids who generally like the H4 soundtrack.

I actually think 4's soundtrack is very good. There's a bunch of excellent tracks on there if you go listen to it. It's the mixing in game which is a bit rubbish. The soundtrack isn't used very effectively.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Some of these clips are insane. It's awesome to see what a pro player can do with the new abilities. 

The saturation in that video is annoying, also I hate how generic the rockets look now.  Other than that those were some solid clips.

snip

That turned out to be way longer than expected, so

TDLR: Range good not bad, thus h5 pistol starts bad, BR starts better, DMR starts best.

You can't really use CE as an example for the range argument, for a few reasons:

1) The pistol was projectile, and much harder to use at range than future utility weapons like the DMR or certain BRs. People actually missed.

2) The maps and fast-spawning power-ups and power-weapons that are so unique to CE promoted map movement that negated the effects of the Pistol's range.

The Pistol is already the fastest-killing utility weapon in Halo 5, and will be suitable at range with post-beta fixes and SKILL. People shouldn't be able to completely suppress a certain angle/area right off spawn, with barely any skill. Not to mention that's boring.

It all depends on how hard a weapon is to use at longer ranges, I didn't like the pistol in the beta because it felt useless at long range.  Hopefully that'll be addressed when the game is released if not I can't see myself supporting AR/Pistol starts.

If the skill gap is high, shouldn't the score gap be high as well? 

only if there is no proper MM to ensure players of similiar skill face each other

I'd say 117, arrival, and halo 4's version of Never Forget was nothing short of stellar and hammered the theme of halo 4 the way the original did. Personally, I think the soundtrack fit the atmosphere and theme of the game quite well. However I do agree other tracks were rather forgettable.

As trumpet player and then the sexy trumpet plays... tumblr_lojxuuJOfM1qfcoeco1_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

I love that the H5 thread is talking about the H4 Soundtrack :kappa:

It was one of the few arguably good parts of the game. Still hoping for a Marty return, though.

You can't really use CE as an example for the range argument, for a few reasons:

1) The pistol was projectile, and much harder to use at range than future utility weapons like the DMR or certain BRs. People actually missed.

2) The maps and fast-spawning power-ups and power-weapons that are so unique to CE promoted map movement that negated the effects of the Pistol's range.

The Pistol is already the fastest-killing utility weapon in Halo 5, and will be suitable at range with post-beta fixes and SKILL. People shouldn't be able to completely suppress a certain angle/area right off spawn, with barely any skill. Not to mention that's boring.

Firstly, I adressed part of this in my post already. I know the pistol is projectile, and I know its harder to use than all the other weapons in later halos. Read my post.

Unless you are completly thumbless, if you catch someone offguard trying to get camo up top on HeH you will kill him, and it most likely going to be a quicker kill than if it were on Tombstone or High Noon, even if the rifles in those games take significantly less skill. The point is, unless the kill completly effortless, actually giving players options is always better than making you see someone and not be able to capitalize on it.

How fast or slow a map plays doesn't even have that much to with how far the range is of the utility weapons, but moreso with your point two (I'll get to that in a second) and the map layout. No well done Midship (( no, Regret and Truth are not midship clones, even Salient (irc) said so himself)) is not going to play campy regardless if you are spawning with a br or a dmr or similiar.

The pit in Halo 3 was campy as hell and the h3 br's range is absolutely pathetic, but it still played campy with dmrs in H:R. If anything, H:R pit played better because sword area was more useful with more range.

To point two. If by "negate the effect of the pistols range" you mean that people have no other choice but to push up if rockets are coming up, (and it happens more than every three minutes) then yes I agree, but there is literally zero reason why we can't have that in Halo 5.

Shitty placement of power weapons and powerups by putting them in power-positions is what slows games down. Awefully slow power weapon timers is what slows the game down. 343 might be crazy enough to put the prophets bane on a four minute timer, but if we have to settle for shitty weapons that don't shoot far because we don't wan't to go in forge and change the timers, then maybe we deserve shitty halo.

This really shouldn't be harder to understand than: If I see someone and I can't reliably shoot (note: I didn't say kill) him because my weapon is a piece of shit, I shouldn't start rationalizing how something that is obviously fundamentally wrong is good because of reasons that are much more influenced by other factors.

Edit: Even if by some divine intervention the pistol suddenly becomes the optimal starting weapon, we still are going to be stuck with a tiny clip size.

CE did it right by allowing 4 (iirc?) kills per clip, and 3 in the br and dmr are already low. The pistol is a five shot kill with a 10 bullet clip, so unless they somehow buff it to 3sk and keep the clip size or make it a 4sk and give it 12 bullets, be ready for a ridiculous amount of reloading and getting killed because you didn't have any shots left.

Firstly, I adressed part of this in my post already. I know the pistol is projectile, and I know its harder to use than all the other weapons in later halos. Read my post.

Unless you are completly thumbless, if you catch someone offguard trying to get camo up top on HeH you will kill him, and it most likely going to be a quicker kill than if it were on Tombstone or High Noon, even if the rifles in those games take significantly less skill. The point is, unless the kill completly effortless, actually giving players options is always better than making you see someone and not be able to capitalize on it.

How fast or slow a map plays doesn't even have that much to with how far the range is of the utility weapons, but moreso with your point two (I'll get to that in a second) and the map layout. No well done Midship (( no, Regret and Truth are not midship clones, even Salient (irc) said so himself)) is not going to play campy regardless if you are spawning with a br or a dmr or similiar.

The pit in Halo 3 was campy as hell and the h3 br's range is absolutely pathetic, but it still played campy with dmrs in H:R. If anything, H:R pit played better because sword area was more useful with more range.

To point two. If by "negate the effect of the pistols range" you mean that people have no other choice but to push up if rockets are coming up, (and it happens more than every three minutes) then yes I agree, but there is literally zero reason why we can't have that in Halo 5.

Shitty placement of power weapons and powerups by putting them in power-positions is what slows games down. Awefully slow power weapon timers is what slows the game down. 343 might be crazy enough to put the prophets bane on a four minute timer, but if we have to settle for shitty weapons that don't shoot far because we don't wan't to go in forge and change the timers, then maybe we deserve shitty halo.

This really shouldn't be harder to understand than: If I see someone and I can't reliably shoot (note: I didn't say kill) him because my weapon is a piece of shit, I shouldn't start rationalizing how something that is obviously fundamentally wrong is good because of reasons that are much more influenced by other factors.

Two issues with your responses:

1) The Pistol in H5 actually kills faster than the rifles.

2) Allegedly, the factor that crippled the Pistol at medium range in beta (flinch/recoil), has been removed, allowing the Pistol to function properly in medium range, presumably attributing merit to Josh Holmes' statement that "The pistol has been out-performing the BR in recent pro team playtests."

Further, the example you use (Hang 'em High) is a map where the only real LONG range sightline is from corner to corner -- the rest are all examples of what I would call medium range.  If the H5 Pistol is working in medium range, the situation that "the pistol kills faster than the rifle" should be true for anyone who can aim properly.  How often can you kill quickly/reliably from corner to corner on HEH with the CE Pistol?  In Reach's Anniversary version, how often can you kill quickly/reliably from corner to corner with the DMR?  The DMR's greater (aim assist) range does not promote smarter or more skillful play.  It promotes boring peek shooting.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Two issues with your responses:

1) The Pistol in H5 actually kills faster than the rifles.

2) Allegedly, the factor that crippled the Pistol at medium range in beta (flinch/recoil), has been removed, allowing the Pistol to function properly in medium range, presumably attributing merit to Josh Holmes' statement that "The pistol has been out-performing the BR in recent pro team playtests."

Yes, the pistol kills fater than the other rifles, how is that relevant to the point I'm making though? Atleast in my opinion, killtimes at short range have always been quick enough. If you can't just run away because someone is right in your face, even something as slow as a pre patch DMR is going to kill you before you can run away (unless you can sprint, but thats a whole nother subject LOL).

I might be reaching a bit far here, but when Josh Holmes said it was "out-performing the BR", I doubt that means it is viable outside of slightly mid range. The pre nerf 4sk post-patch H:R pistol outperformed the DMR easily, but it was still not very useful beyond that same range. That is the context I thought of when I read his post.

Further, in that very post, he also said that they are making sure the pistol doesn't outclass the rifles, so it is most likely going to be nerfed from that point.

Anything that brings the H5 pistol closer to the CE pistol is good in my eyes, but that does not seem like the direction 343 is trying to send it in. To me it seems like they are trying to make it into a useful supplement to the AR, and a better alternative to it for good players as well as a stepping stone away from spray and gameplay to Team BRS/DMRS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

117 is probably my favorite Halo song ever.

Right up their with One Final Effort, Never Forget, and Behold a Pale Horse

Like it alot better than reaches soundtrack.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fair enough I guess.

And yeah, I just switched back and forth between the two regularly to see the difference. Definitely spent most of that section in old mode though. I know some people think it's just a gimmick, however that instant switch between the different graphics is so cool. Throughout the campaign I was stopping and just switching back and forth to see the differences.

I feel we've gone a bit off topic here though.

Well let me just quickly say that I think the graphics switching is one of the most awesome things about the anniversary games. I agree completely.

And I agree about Halo 4's soundtrack. I love it. I can get people's complaints but for me it just works.

Well let me just quickly say that I think the graphics switching is one of the most awesome things about the anniversary games. I agree completely.

And I agree about Halo 4's soundtrack. I love it. I can get people's complaints but for me it just works.

Yeah, H4's soundtrack was pretty awesome IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1