CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Great blog. The most compelling argument to me, really is the playstyle/teamwork element of AR/Pistol starts. So sick of just seeing BRs in competitive...

On a sidenote, these type of articles would be great for an opinion piece section on Beyond main website, or a "Community Member Blog/Spotlight". Would probably increase viewership as well.

Or, you could become part of  :beyond: staff. Just saying, would be  :goat:  for all parties. @@Moa @@CyReN @@Proto

• Upvote (+1) 5

tTeQG0D.png?1

But seriously how would you feel if it required input from the player (i.e. pushing a button to call out).

Controller schemes feel so cluttered as it is, I would dislike it a lot.

In a perfect world, you should also never have to take your thumb off your movement stick. It would be similar to how you lose your ability to shoot in order to move fast (sprint), except you lose you ability to move (or shoot back) in order to "tag" someone, which I think is even worse.

To this date, I still despise having to press the D-pad to switch grenades. I have to reach all the way to the D-pad using my right hand so I can keep moving. It's either that or just being unable to move while switching grenades. So frustrating when you need to stick someone quick.

Whoever came up with that solution (and also decided not to give us custom controller schemes) an absolute idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Controller schemes feel so cluttered as it is, I would dislike it a lot.

In a perfect world, you should also never have to take your thumb off your movement stick. It would be similar to how you lose your ability to shoot in order to move fast (sprint), except you lose you ability to move (or shoot back) in order to "tag" someone, which I think is even worse.

To this date, I still despise having to press the D-pad to switch grenades. I have to reach all the way to the D-pad using my right hand so I can keep moving. It's either that or just being unable to move while switching grenades. So frustrating when you need to stick someone quick.

Whoever came up with that solution (and also decided not to give us custom controller schemes) an absolute idiot.

thank god its still A in halo ce

How much better would shooting when sprinting be? I feel like it'll fix a lot of the problems.

I honestly hate the idea.

I'd rather just have more or less uniform movement in all directions instead.

Still stretches maps, limits player options (can't strafe while sprinting), so on.  Would be a slight improvement, but wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the original system.

I think it's what Sprint needed ever since becoming mandatory...

Not being able to defend yourself in any situation, in a shooter, is a fools folly. It wouldn't solve all the problems, but it would solve a really damaging one.

I saw that josh thought that having shooting and sprinting without aim assist or magnetism was a good idea, than I said we should extend that trait to all abilities, like thrusting and clambering would allow shooting but it would be difficult to pull off unless you're good. We could also remove the center reticle when sprinting or thrusting so that if you're shooting while doing these things with an auto or a shotgun, it's not going to be any easier.

Think of it as having a sniper rifle, only a good player can no scope at will, the challenge in and of itself is a NATURAL balance to the ability to pull it off. Players would have much more freedom if the concept of natural balancing is applied to more areas of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I honestly hate the idea.

I'd rather just have more or less uniform movement in all directions instead.

while this solution isn't the best, it's certainly better than what we have now.

How much better would shooting when sprinting be? I feel like it'll fix a lot of the problems.

Then  it wouldn't be "sprint" would it, it'd just be base movement speed.

• Downvote (-1) 2

while this solution isn't the best, it's certainly better than what we have now.

Edited my post.

Yes, but only ever so slightly.  It wouldn't fix a whole lot.

Then  it wouldn't be "sprint" would it, it'd just be base movement speed.

Except limited to forward movement only, thus still being inferior to base speed.

I saw that josh thought that having shooting and sprinting without aim assist or magnetism was a good idea, than I said we should extend that trait to all abilities, like thrusting and clambering would allow shooting but it would be difficult to pull off unless you're good. We could also remove the center reticle when sprinting or thrusting so that if you're shooting while doing these things with an auto or a shotgun, it's not going to be any easier.

Think of it as having a sniper rifle, only a good player can no scope at will, the challenge in and of itself is a NATURAL balance to the ability to pull it off. Players would have much more freedom if the concept of natural balancing is applied to more areas of the game.

It would become an extremely aggressive game with this ability.

Not that I think that would necessarily be a bad thing. Lots of aggression is fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It would become an extremely aggressive game with this ability.

Not that I think that would necessarily be a bad thing. Lots of aggression is fun.

aka halo.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Edited my post.

Yes, but only ever so slightly. It wouldn't fix a whole lot.

Except limited to forward movement only, thus still being inferior to base speed.

I would rather have no sprint at all, that's clearly the best option, but we're not getting that, I would rather take at least a few steps forward than stay still.

Some of these clips are insane. It's awesome to see what a pro player can do with the new abilities. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think you need to read my posts before commenting.

Lowering the score gap is another way of saying reduce landslides, nothing more, for the sole purpose of avoiding discouragement and keeping players engaged.

I love skill gap. I prefer individual (1 on 1) skill gap over team skill gap, because team skill gap is terrible for 1v4.

Your posts consistently hammer me with none sense. You sound like schnitzel. I wonder if you are schnitzel at times. The way you refuse to use his name but comment on his map is just a way to hide yourself.

Just stop.

Oh, that's his name. Thanks.

I'm confused. You sounded like you were arguing for a tight score gap but without a large skill gap. English isn't my strongest skill, but it has improved a lot over the past 6 months, but maybe I am interpreting your posts wrong. Sorry if that is the case. But you post a lot and it seems very inconsistent (?) what you are arguing for. I think maybe you are just crazy.

Can some one please explain this in simple english to me? Or PM me in German or Dutch, that will also work. Thanks.

1. This is counter to experience. As I have repeatedly stated AR starts help lower the score gap. As I have argued this at length I have come to realize that AR starts helps demonstrate individual skill over team skill which is critical in 1v4. This makes acquiring power weapons more likely even for the lesser skilled team.

This is what I am refering to. AR starts cause landslide victories because the other team can get all the BRs. This does not tighten the score gap, but enlarges it. Some one please explain me this. Thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just listened to all the Hunt the Truth episodes and I have to say: wow. Really awesome thing and I am already feeling the hype for the story again. 

Also very easy and good to listen to for a non English person like me. Two thumbs up from me to 343 even if I more on the #DoNotBuy side  :kappa:

you thought it was terrible? I thought it was really good, same with the cea soundtrack.

I hate it with a passion. To me, the orchestra sounds are like cats screaming. All the warmth and depth of sound was taken away. Whichever orchestra was used for the Halo 3 soundtrack was perfect.

I always use this example, but listen to the first few seconds of the original Unforgotten, then quickly listen to the first few seconds of the remake. Tell me you don't notice something missing emotionally.

Actually, listen from about 21 seconds in the remake, as that's where the strings are. Pay attention to the transitions between chords. In the original, there are these subtle but gorgeous bends that sound like the strings are almost cryng or something. Whereas in the remake, it's very robotic, like it was done in mario paint composer. The anniversary soundtracks just really don't do it for me for the most part.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hate it with a passion. To me, the orchestra sounds are like cats screaming. All the warmth and depth of sound was taken away. Whichever orchestra was used for the Halo 3 soundtrack was perfect.

I always use this example, but listen to the first few seconds of the original Unforgotten, then quickly listen to the first few seconds of the remake. Tell me you don't notice something missing emotionally.

Actually, listen from about 21 seconds in the remake, as that's where the strings are. Pay attention to the transitions between chords. In the original, there are these subtle but gorgeous bends that sound like the strings are almost cryng or something. Whereas in the remake, it's very robotic, like it was done in mario paint composer. The anniversary soundtracks just really don't do it for me for the most part.

I don't notice anything missing emotionally.

They both sound fantastic to me. If anything I prefer the solo piano intro. I seriously cannot see how you could possibly compare the Anniversary version to a robotic Mario composer...Also cats screaming? Come on now, that is some very strong hyperbole.

Edit: That said there is one Anniversary song where I strongly prefer the original... can't remember the name right now though. I'll try and find it.

Edit2: Follow in Flight is the name, it's the song you hear when you're flying the Banshee on the Arbiter. I really didn't like the new version, played that entire section of the level on the original graphics because the song was just so much better.

I don't notice anything missing emotionally.

They both sound fantastic to me. If anything I prefer the solo piano intro. I seriously cannot see how you could possibly compare the Anniversary version to a robotic Mario composer...Also cats screaming? Come on now, that is some very strong hyperbole.

No shit :P lol. Some exaggerations don't need to be pointed out.

Edit: That said there is one Anniversary song where I strongly prefer the original... can't remember the name right now though. I'll try and find it.

Edit2: Follow in Flight is the name, it's the song you hear when you're flying the Banshee on the Arbiter. I really didn't like the new version, played that entire section of the level on the original graphics because the song was just so much better.

Play it with the new graphics but turn the sound off, and have the old music playing in headphones so you at least get to experience those new graphics once. That's probably what I'd do lol.

Some of these clips are insane. It's awesome to see what a pro player can do with the new abilities. 

The guy who did the post effects on the video needs to just stop. Everything looks so bleached out.

No shit :P lol. Some exaggerations don't need to be pointed out.

Play it with the new graphics but turn the sound off, and have the old music playing in headphones so you at least get to experience those new graphics once. That's probably what I'd do lol.

Fair enough I guess.

And yeah, I just switched back and forth between the two regularly to see the difference. Definitely spent most of that section in old mode though. I know some people think it's just a gimmick, however that instant switch between the different graphics is so cool. Throughout the campaign I was stopping and just switching back and forth to see the differences.

I feel we've gone a bit off topic here though.

The guy who did the post effects on the video needs to just stop. Everything looks so bleached out.

The stretch is what annoyed me. Why would you bother putting time into making the footage look worse...

I have no idea why some people are making this seem so complex. Every person that has played more than a handful games of halo knows AR only starts are absolute garbage.

The reason they are shit isn't because people can pick up a br and dominate the ar users. Just play a map with next to no utility weapons available on the map like guardian, or any gametype like rumble pit where you aren't guaranteed to always be able to rush for a br/dmr/whateverisuseful. Sure, that one guy with a sniper and br might be picking you off helplessly, but are essentially  powerless if you ever find yourself in a fight when already weak or getting double teamed. Pistol starts would be nearly as bad, only slightly remedied by the higher shooting skill required and the higher range (but still pitfully short)

This is because short range weapon starts destroy halo. Don't let people fool you. DMR starts wouldn't have ruined H4, because they would have "stifled map movement". Everytime I hear that argument I cringe because it is the epitome of something that you can argue easily on paper, but completly falls apart when actually looking at it in game.

The CE pistol works (best of all weapons in halo) because for it is in fact, nothing but a rifle in a pistol skin. The range on the pistol probably sends chills down every "range promotes camping" advocate. The fact that the CE pistol has a large aiming skillgap doesn't even really matter in this argument, because even a  10 shot is still infinitely faster than not being able to kill someone at all because your bullets just plain disappear (lol h3) or because it becomes ridiculously hard to kill someone cross map with no scope nor sticky aim ( every pistol post CE including h5)

The H2 BR was so much easier to use than the H3 Br, but because you actually had range, the game was better than h3, not the other way around. Sure you had button glitches, but the basic point still stands. Giving players the option to actually do something from further means they can control more zones, not because it makes it easier for them to hold a setup, but because they have to or they will create an opportunity for the other team.This adds depth to the game because you now have to be prepared from more angles than if you had a weapon like the H3 br or the h5 pistol or even to a lesser extent the H4 BR.

Because of this the beta pistol was incredibly unfit for a starting weapon. It was incredibly easy to kill people at close range, but as soon as they stepped just too far out, I could forget about anything but cleaning up one shot kills.

Sure, they may have changed the pistol since the beta, but 343 themselves said they wan't to keep it inferior to the br at longer ranges. Which means we would be stuck with a weapon that artificially gimps us until we pick up a br/dmr. This will obviously be #1 priority off spawn, and if something is a no brainer every single time, why not just give them a damn utility rifle to spawn with ?

It's not like there is anything inherently skillful in going up and picking up a better weapon of spawn, because not only is it not hard because it is isn't constested like a power weapon, but it is a strict upgrade to a pistol because a pistol is situational, not a br/dmr/carbine/light rifle.

That turned out to be way longer than expected, so

TDLR: Range good not bad, thus h5 pistol starts bad, BR starts better, DMR starts best.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Hope the H5 soundtrack resembles halo a little more than H4 did :/ I have no preference between anything Marty has done, because they're all incredible. But Halo 4 really rubs me the wrong way.

Wonder what he's up to now..

• Upvote (+1) 2