CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What are people opinions on having a single utility weapon like the Halo 2 Beta BR. Burst unzoomed, single shot when zoomed?

You mean the Halo 4 Light Rifle?

• Upvote (+1) 1

You mean the Halo 4 Light Rifle?

nope the original design of the Halo 2 BR that was demoed at E3.

Edit: I am on my phone and to lazy to find the YouTube video

I believe spartan chatter will accomplish more than just acting as a crutch for newer players. Having the idea of callouts become more exposed to the average player might just encourage them to start doing it themselves. Yeah, the chatter might help here and there, but it's not nearly as effective as actual human communication. You could argue that the skill gap related to timing weapons is lowered (I agree), but that's just half the battle. You still need to have a good set-up and skillful shooting. If power weapon timing (helped by chatter) becomes the norm even among the more inexperienced players, the skill gap will see a shift towards the latter things. In more basic terms: less emphasis on the when, and more emphasis on the how. Just my take on it, though.

Don't get me wrong, I believe timing weapons adds to the depth of the game. Spartan chatter takes that aspect away somewhat, but I still support the idea of making callouts more mainstream. It subconsciously shows the player that communication with your team is important.

What do you guys think about holding the Y button to change grenades?

Dual-wielding got plucked out in ODST and Reach, so it's been left without a function.

There aren't any button-combos associated with it either, since YY uses taps.

Plasmas and frags are pretty distinct now, since the latter can be used for weapon launching.

I thought It'd be nice if there was a way to switch between the two without removing my thumbs from the analog sticks.

(Just for clarification, I claw with my controller)

What do you guys think about holding the Y button to change grenades?

Dual-wielding got plucked out in ODST and Reach, so it's been left without a function.

There aren't any button-combos associated with it either, since YY uses taps.

Plasmas and frags are pretty distinct now, since the latter can be used for weapon launching.

I thought It'd be nice if there was a way to switch between the two without removing my thumbs from the analog sticks.

(Just for clarification, I claw with my controller)

All I want is to be able to hit A and switch grenades again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

just like how extra auto-aim for your weapons would help when you get randoms who don't know how to shoot.

tTeQG0D.png?1

Spartan chatter is just one of the many annoying things that 343 have done to put me off the multiplayer side of Halo.

But seriously how would you feel if it required input from the player (i.e. pushing a button to call out).

I disagree with this statement - assuming you're talking about AR + Pistol vs. BR + AR starts...

1) Pistol is harder to use than BR, so > skillgap, more likely land-slides

2) More useful sandbox overall (Pistol starts) allows for more variety and depth, so > skillgap.

3) Without BR starts, not everything is teamshooting, so individual skill makes a greater difference on the impact of a game.

I have never discussed AR BR starts.

But seriously how would you feel if it required input from the player (i.e. pushing a button to call out).

like how GoW3 had? 

c38291450955f7d10e398f3e0b13958cf3a23e16

or how Shadowrun had theirs with the D pad for certain call outs?

I disagree with this statement - assuming you're talking about AR + Pistol vs. BR + AR starts...

1) Pistol is harder to use than BR, so > skillgap, more likely land-slides

2) More useful sandbox overall (Pistol starts) allows for more variety and depth, so > skillgap. 

3) Without BR starts, not everything is teamshooting, so individual skill makes a greater difference on the impact of a game.

He explicitly stated "score gap", not skill gap. He wants a game that encourages tight scored differences rather than one that rewards skill difference. Read through his history, this guy hates anything skill gap related.

I liked spotting in GOW but it stays there for a couple seconds and even if he runs away you can still see the arrow on his head.

I rather call out Lobby [Construct] and have no idea if he went Open or Close or even Sword. higher skillgap = better game

tTeQG0D.png?1

Haha!

Yeah I guess that would sit better with me, but I can't imagine how it would work in my head. Would they bring up a list of options and choose one? Or just press a button and the game says what is most necessary at the time?

For me, I don't think anything could replace the old system where communication was 100% the responsibility of the players. It probably sounds like I'm just whining, and I know spartan chatter doesn't take away from the skill of communication completely but even the little bit that it does feels unnecessary to me. But oh well.

It's hard for me to see and relate spartan chatter and micless players to noobs who need "extra" auto-aim because they have trouble shooting. Too different of a scenario. I think as long as skill based matchmaking works, you're way more likely to end up with a micless teammate than a thumbless teammate.

I personally wouldn't want any chatter available except for player specific call outs.

I mean that spartan chatter can kind of make up for a little bit of what's lacking in your team's communication, even if it's not a huge amount. In the same way that more auto-aim would help to make up for what's lacking in a player's ability to shoot. Two different scenarios, but the same thing in principle when it comes to taking away a little bit of responsibility from players.

I totally see where you're coming from. What you're saying is that you shouldn't be punished for your teammate's lack of resources (mics) outside of the actual game. I don't disagree that it's unfair and sucks to get put with people like that.

My reason for disliking spartan chatter is because, in a hypothetical situation where all players do have mics, spartan chatter doesn't benefit anyone in the same way, but it does take a little bit away from the importance of communication (just a teeny bit).

I think it was a better situation before, when we had to take it upon ourselves to build a team of good players if we wanted to get around the no-mic problem. That way we were able to keep the full responsibility of communication. Spartan chatter sacrifices a gameplay value to gain convenience. I just preferred it the other way around. I don't feel strongly about it though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have never discussed AR BR starts.

Well that was one option stated at the beginning of this thread. BR starts in H2/H3 had SMG/AR secondaries...

This is from the day one Team Slayer playlist that also contained Team Snipers and Team SWAT game types.

like how GoW3 had? 

c38291450955f7d10e398f3e0b13958cf3a23e16

or how Shadowrun had theirs with the D pad for certain call outs?

I'm thinking like you press the button aiming at someone and it calls out their position, if they had the objective it would call that out too.

"Enemy infantry at S2"

"Flagrunner at Mid"

I don't think I would give it the marker-over-the-head that games like Battlefield have though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He explicitly stated "score gap", not skill gap. He wants a game that encourages tight scored differences rather than one that rewards skill difference. Read through his history, this guy hates anything skill gap related.

I'm absolutely baffled/confused by this statement.

How the hell is a Score Gap any different than a Skill Gap?

Does he mean he prefers teamwork over the ability for an individual to outplay another?  i.e. the "linear aggression" and "forced clustering" that people bemoan so much about Halo 3 and BloomReach?

Sure, games these days are seeing success by stripping the power of the individual from their predecessors and putting that power wholly into the team that works together better. (see: DotA -> League of Legends, League of Legends -> presently unreleased Heroes of the Storm which has already aired on ESPN2.)  That doesn't mean a first-person shooter (you know, a game that requires some degree of MARSKMANSHIP) should do the same.  It worked for Halo 3 because for the most part, the maps were great (though we did have to put out three very dumbed down maps via forge to make it passable competitively).

But to willfully and intentionally oppose a defined skill gap or high skill ceiling in a game you intend to be competitive is just the pinnacle of counter-intuition.

I'm going to respond in more detail later, with a blog post detailing wholly and exactly why I believe AR/Pistol starts are superior... And my entire argument is going to be based off the current most popular game in the world, League of Legends.  (And no, it isn't going to be "well hurrdurr, everyone plays the same game")

• Upvote (+1) 3

How the hell is a Score Gap any different than a Skill Gap?

I'm sure if everyone spawned with weak SMG's and there was a single BR on the map there would be one hell of a score gap at the end of the match.

Doesn't mean skill is properly being rewarded.

I.e. Skill Gap can equate to Score Gap, but Score Gap doesn't automatically mean there's a high Skill Gap.

Or hell, you could make the same argument about Ordnance in Halo 4 now that I think about it.

One team might have a way higher score because they had better luck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How much better would shooting when sprinting be? I feel like it'll fix a lot of the problems.

How much better would shooting when sprinting be? I feel like it'll fix a lot of the problems.

I think it's what Sprint needed ever since becoming mandatory...

Not being able to defend yourself in any situation, in a shooter, is a fools folly. It wouldn't solve all the problems, but it would solve a really damaging one.

EDIT: to clear it up, if we had a 50/50 on when we could or couldn't fight with Sprint it'd help in ways.

I think you need to read my posts before commenting.

Lowering the score gap is another way of saying reduce landslides, nothing more, for the sole purpose of avoiding discouragement and keeping players engaged.

I love skill gap. I prefer individual (1 on 1) skill gap over team skill gap, because team skill gap is terrible for 1v4.

Your posts consistently hammer me with none sense. You sound like schnitzel. I wonder if you are schnitzel at times. The way you refuse to use his name but comment on his map is just a way to hide yourself.

Just stop.