CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There was something extremely deflating about Halo 5.

Halo 1 and 2, and to a much smaller degree, Halo 3, has a lot of moments where you'd stand up and yell at your friends. Something like a 6-shot double kill to get out of a spawn trap on Hang 'em High or a no scope jumping down from Snipe 3 on lockout to kill the sword guy who snuck up behind you. Halo was always about these moments. Halo Reach and Halo 4 lost these moments completely. Not once during Reach or Halo 4 did I have a LAN and someone jumped up and exclaimed how good or bad someone is.

Halo 5 ruins this. You got a noscope? Snapshot + 200 medals. It's deflating. The announcer doesn't shut up and the game is so "fast paced" that you don't have time to stand up and yell at your friends. Halo is about yelling at your friends. It's about trash talk and banter. Halo 5 gets you into the combat so quickly (sprint) and the combat lasts so long (long kill times/thruster) and "rewards" you so often that it gets rid of this feeling.

This is partly modern gamers fault. Halo 2 was so popular because it brought a LAN environment to the online space. Everyone had mic's, everyone played in parties or custom games. Halo Reach and 4 basically killed off microphones. No-one uses mic's almost ever in Halo 4 or MCC. Halo 5 is the same. They're chasing the "solo" gamer. Empowering him with abilities, rewards, customisation and ranks. That's why Halo CE is the best Halo, followed by Halo 2, because they were designed to be played splitscreen and with LAN play. Halo 2's entire multiplayer network was designed to bring the LAN environment online. Halo Reach, 4 and 5 aim to empower to solo player and it really shows. 

I got bored quickly with Halo 5 because I felt like I didn't have time to reflect on the plays that were being made. I didn't feel the need to tell someone "nice shot" because the game already told them. With medals. And a voice over and some points and sounds and other shit.

Just my 2c.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There was something extremely deflating about Halo 5.

Halo 1 and 2, and to a much smaller degree, Halo 3, has a lot of moments where you'd stand up and yell at your friends. Something like a 6-shot double kill to get out of a spawn trap on Hang 'em High or a no scope jumping down from Snipe 3 on lockout to kill the sword guy who snuck up behind you. Halo was always about these moments. Halo Reach and Halo 4 lost these moments completely. Not once during Reach or Halo 4 did I have a LAN and someone jumped up and exclaimed how good or bad someone is.

Halo 5 ruins this. You got a noscope? Snapshot + 200 medals. It's deflating. The announcer doesn't shut up and the game is so "fast paced" that you don't have time to stand up and yell at your friends. Halo is about yelling at your friends. It's about trash talk and banter. Halo 5 gets you into the combat so quickly (sprint) and the combat lasts so long (long kill times/thruster) and "rewards" you so often that it gets rid of this feeling.

This is partly modern gamers fault. Halo 2 was so popular because it brought a LAN environment to the online space. Everyone had mic's, everyone played in parties or custom games. Halo Reach and 4 basically killed off microphones. No-one uses mic's almost ever in Halo 4 or MCC. Halo 5 is the same. They're chasing the "solo" gamer. Empowering him with abilities and rewards and customisation and ranks. That's why Halo CE is the best Halo, followed by Halo 2, because they were designed to be played splitscreen and with LAN play. Halo 2's entire multiplayer network was designed to bring the LAN environment online. Halo Reach, 4 and 5 aim to empower to solo player and it really shows.

I got bored quickly with Halo 5 because I felt like I didn't have time to reflect on the plays that were being made. I didn't feel the need to tell someone "nice shot" because the game already told them. With medals. And a voice over and some points and sounds and other shit.

Just my 2c.

I really miss having loads of people in game chat. Even if there's just one guy speaking now days its enough to make me want to put my mic in/exit party chat, but its a rare thing now.

Maybe in the ranked/competitive playlists, you should be made to have a mic on and be in game chat?

I see. Curious, how did you like the beta Magnum's already short RRR? It was only far enough to really be utilized at ranges where you would really just hipfire it anyway. I thought it was perfect in that area. The Magnum just needed to have zero recoil/spread in my opinion and it would be perfect.

See my Sig...

Maybe in the ranked/competitive playlists, you should be made to have a mic on and be in game chat?

Whilst I personally like that idea, that would receive huge backlash. Imagine if your mic broke and you can't play ranked?

@@Shekkles I tried explaining this to my friends earlier today; there's a lot of factors that make Halo 5 'not Halo' to me.  I think some of the charm from the original trilogy was the art style/unique audio design.  Halo never went for photo realism then because Bungie had a fantastic grasp on how they wanted their game to look, and it's shown even now.  They've aged wonderfully.  Compared to 4/5 I feel like 343 just goes for generic sci fi / photorealism that quickly becomes outdated.  It's not as timeless as the original trilogy and I feel like Halo lost a lot of its charm because of it, and so much  of someone's perception on the game is based on how it looks and sounds.  Thousands of custom games in Halo 3 that many people remember it by like Close the Door on High Ground, or Jenga, or Minotaur, Fat Kid, Cops and Robbers. I just don't see working in the Halo 5 sandbox.  They could give us the same exact options to recreate the games just how they were but Halo 5, to me, just looks like it's trying too hard to look hardcore.  I can't imagine having a casual time playing random custom games clashing with this over the top lens flare contrast deep black art style that encompasses the whole game.  It'd just be weird. Because I enjoy how this looks

255688-halo-3-xbox-360-screenshot-infect

More than how this looks.

Halo-5-Guardians-Multiplayer-Beta-Empire

Maybe I'm crazy.  But everything about 343's Halo makes me think they don't understand Halo

• Upvote (+1) 6

Maybe I'm crazy.  But everything about 343's Halo makes me think they don't understand Halo

Very good point. Halo 5 has that "utopian sci-fi" feel which just doesn't roll well with Halo. Halo 1 and 3 especially had that incredible "fantasy" feel where everything is fruity. Halo 5 feels more realistic and - dare I say - immersive, but I don't care about either of those things when playing Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whilst I personally like that idea, that would receive huge backlash. Imagine if your mic broke and you can't play ranked?

Yeah, cant argue with that. Maybe if they just tried it for a period of time it could be interesting.

since were talking about classic things that are being changed in the game, does anyone have an explanation? of why they kept the sniper from Halo 4, does anyone here know of anyone that actually likes that wall-e looking ass thing? Another decision by them that just baffles me.

You can say the same about the over-saturation of the announcer in Halo 4. Literally no one liked it, yet they not only continue it in Halo 5, but they made it worst. It's mindblowing.

Quoting myself on a similar decision by 343. I'm a loss for words for 343's decision making.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, this is awkward...

You weren't technically wrong though. It didn't have to have been ADS just because of the red dot sight. It's just unfortunate that it turns out we did get a form of ADS.

Don't fool yourself... They didn't like anything about halo they didn't have a hand in themselves.

I second that. I don't think that they hate Halo, but rather don't understand what Halo is about. All they talk about is balance, balance, balance.. and judging by the way Josh and Quinn talk about game design (especially Quinn), they make me feel like they're talking about a tactical game like CS or RS.

Ordnance, SS, stabilizers and the continuous presence of sprint imply so.

I really hope that Spartan Chatter is removed completely. It makes no sense that the game calls things out for you when you and your team are supposed to do that.

I feel like the maps are way too dark. Halo has become very dark. In past halos the dark maps, you would atleast see the other team

I feel like the maps are way too dark. Halo has become very dark. In past halos the dark maps, you would atleast see the other team

Seeing players on dark maps? That's not immersive at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quoting myself on a similar decision by 343. I'm a loss for words for 343's decision making.

I remember seeing that post of yours a while back. I've been following up on this thread for months and I just decided to make an account yesterday.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really hope that Spartan Chatter is removed completely. It makes no sense that the game calls things out for you when you and your team are supposed to do that.

Spartan callouts were fantastic. Especially considering running into someone who uses a mic to call out and communicate is so rare now. I found the callouts helped so much with basic teamwork and coordination.

What they need to do is add an option to remove the useless chatter like "nice kill" and an option to turn it off for those who don't need it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spartan callouts were fantastic. Especially considering running into someone who uses a mic to call out and communicate is so rare now. I found the callouts helped so much with basic teamwork and coordination.

What they need to do is add an option to remove the useless chatter like "nice kill" and an option to turn it off for those who don't need it.

I think they have said that they will give a toggle option for the Spartan Chatter. In that list of changes which came out after the beta feedback.

I really hope they just add toggle options for all of these things (post-game celebrations, medals, announcer, chatter etc.), those little things could make or brake the game for some people. Knowing 343 though, I don't know if I should expect those options from them.

I think it's good for when you have teammates who insist on not communicating in games where it's necessary, or when you're searching solo and you don't feel like talking to absolute idiots. I consider it part of the skill gap and game knowledge and we shouldn't go too far to hurt it, but spartan chatter still will never be as accurate and useful as actual call outs from good people, so it's not like it matters much. They made it at an average communication level.

I do hope a lot of the fluff and pointless motivational talk was removed though. "NICE SHOT!", "WATCH YOUR NADES!" or "THANKS FOR THE ASSIST!!" has no place in there. Let's remove everything that has to do with dude bro spartans.

Also it needs a global toggle.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I liked Halo 5's sniper, as it was smaller than the H4 sniper, and the colors were better. I like the block as it reminds me of the CE sniper. H2/3/R/2A were all sort of wimpy. The H4 sniper went overboard, but I liked the Beta version. *flames* 

The new rocket launcher and DMR though...  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know but I believe real players are supposed to do that. But yeah just my opinion but I completely understand if you search alone you won't often find teammates with mics.

For the people suggesting universal BR+Pistol starts, REALLY? You think casuals will enjoy spawning with no automatic for the first time ever in a Halo game (outside of competitive)?  Cmon now... 

The pistol in the beta had recoil which was confirmed to be a glitch. I don't think the pistol will be as hard to use without the recoil. Sure, it's harder than the BR but I had more fun with the BR. Stop trying to act like your opinion is the right opinion. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think HCS will use AR/Pistol starts. Nor do I want it to. However, I understand the importance of having unified settings. I believe having an ample amount of ARs on map with BR/Pistol starts is the way to go. I accept that a lot of people disagree with me though so I imagine they'll have settings for every preference regardless of how important unification is for longevity. It's unavoidable as illustrated in this topic.

Why would you put ARs on the map when there's a stronger weapon with the same purpose and spawn timer (SMGs)?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The pistol in the beta had recoil which was confirmed to be a glitch. I don't think the pistol will be as hard to use without the recoil. Sure, it's harder than the BR but I had more fun with the BR. Stop trying to act like your opinion is the right opinion. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think HCS will use AR/Pistol starts. Nor do I want it to. However, I understand the importance of having unified settings. I believe having an ample amount of ARs on map with BR/Pistol starts is the way to go. I accept that a lot of people disagree with me though so I imagine they'll have settings for every preference regardless of how important unification is for longevity. It's unavoidable as illustrated in this topic.

Well, we're backing up our opinions with reasoning... instead of just saying the BR is "more fun". I think the DMR and Light Rifle are more fun than Pistol, but realize Pistol is better for a starting weapon... I can always pick up a DMR, LR, or BR up on map. 

In case you haven't read the arguments for AR + Buffed Pistol starts:

1) Gives everybody an automatic and a precision.

2) Users are able to defend themselves at range, IF they have the skill.

3) Pistol > BR for a skill gap.

4) Gives Pistol a place in the sandbox.

5) More generic starts keep everyone happy, and they can find personal favorites on map.  

• Upvote (+1) 2