CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

On the topic of sounds, the sound from getting a headshot kill was very satisfying. But I couldn't stand the beeps that went with the hitmarkers every time you landed a shot.

This was my issue with the weapons in general with the beta, sticky reticle was pretty much non existent on the weapons yet they had plenty of bullet magnetism. It was just a strange combo and it didn't feel intuitive at all.

So what I think you are saying is that the reticle went wherever you pointed the gun in a very fluent movement, but the bullets found there way to the target anyways, and it seemed unintuitive (cue breaking immersion) when the bullets didn't go where you aimed with the same level of fluent response?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok, this is getting stupid now. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened. Does anyone remember Halo 3: ODST? No? Right, let me remind you of this beauty.

iit48RSAQPc84.png

See that SMG? It has a red dot sight on it. The same non-sense happened when people noticed this when Halo 3: ODST was being marketed.

What happens when you zoom in with the weapon?

PopularConfusedInganue.gif

You zoom in like it was a scope on a Battle Rifle, Sniper Rifle, etc. You don't ADS like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.

So please stop saying Halo 5: Guardians will have ADS purely because there is what looks like a red dot sight on a piece of concept art.

They've built a new engine entirely, and then added small pieces from the older engine.

While you could technically say it is still an upgrade old engine, the new engine began being built first, then they added small "vital" bits from the old engine to make sure in the end, it was an engine for Halo.

Well, this is awkward...

• Upvote (+1) 8

Well, this is awkward...

Except the damage when done while zoomed in Halo 3 (not talking about ODST since there was no PvP, making it impossible to compare) was little to no extra advantage while Halo 5 has a significant advantage being zoomed in. That's what people are complaining about.

Completely agree, why would they replace that? Those kind of decisions that they make just make no sense to me.

Or to most game designers that understand the value of nostalgia and familiarity when making a successful game's sequel. I'm of the opinion that keeping the iconic sounds was such a basic, obvious thing to do that 343 ironically overlooked stuff like the classic shield regen and added a wrong sound effect in its place.

...I'd rather believe they FORGOT to keep the iconic sound than think they were braindead enough to purposely change it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Except the damage when done while zoomed in Halo 3 (not talking about ODST since there was no PvP, making it impossible to compare) was little to no extra advantage while Halo 5 has a significant advantage being zoomed in. That's what people are complaining about.

in the beta it was too much, hopefully it's not hugely impactful in the final game.

Or to most game designers that understand the value of nostalgia and familiarity when making a successful game's sequel. I'm of the opinion that keeping the iconic sounds was such a basic, obvious thing to do that 343 ironically overlooked stuff like the classic shield regen and added a wrong sound effect in its place.

...I'd rather believe they FORGOT to keep the iconic sound than think they were braindead enough to purposely change it.

Don't fool yourself... They didn't like anything about halo they didn't have a hand in themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Don't fool yourself... They didn't like anything about halo they didn't have a hand in themselves.

I didn't even want to be that guy and agree with this, but then I remember how much I was filled with rage when they completely ruined the Halo 2 Soundtrack by remaking most of the songs into their own terrible version...

Halo 2 Br audio with H3 snipe audio = GOAT

The original trilogy really had great audio engineering. You never this stuff until someone fucks it up

• Upvote (+1) 4

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed the sounds.

At least conceptually, they're a good thing. So much more feedback than before.

I think overall I prefer them to H4, but I prefer the first 3 games audio over H5, that's for sure.

Theyre not that bad, I just feel again its too 'real' and that Halo is losing its unique sounds, everything sounded different to the average shooters, but not so much with H4 and H5.

The Magnum is just as accurate in MCC as in OG. However, after some testing between MCC and OG, I discovered a very, VERY interesting glitch with the Magnum that has been present since OG.

In CE, we already know that semi auto fire for the Magnum is perfectly accurate vs high spread full auto fire.

However, it turns out that if you rapidly pull the trigger the right way, the game will glitch and think you are firing full auto at the same time as semi auto, and will produce around 1/3 the full auto spread.

The reason we are only just discovering this now is because of how sensitive the Xbox One controllers are. Trust me, this glitch really is in OG, but I had a very difficult time replicating it repeatedly because of how much less sensitive the 360 and even worse the OG Xbox controllers were.

I assumed this was the case as well but it's very difficult to consciously try to lift your finger higher and shoot slower when it is so ingrained in you.

I think the best way to remove this factor is just to remove spread from the pistol, period. There's no point in leaving it so holding the trigger gives more spread as you can fire just as fast or faster by tapping.

• Upvote (+1) 2

since were talking about classic things that are being changed in the game, does anyone have an explanation? of why they kept the sniper from Halo 4, does anyone here know of anyone that actually likes that wall-e looking ass thing? Another decision by them that just baffles me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't even want to be that guy and agree with this, but then I remember how much I was filled with rage when they completely ruined the Halo 2 Soundtrack by remaking most of the songs into their own terrible version...

you thought it was terrible? I thought it was really good, same with the cea soundtrack.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

since were talking about classic things that are being changed in the game, does anyone have an explanation? of why they kept the sniper from Halo 4, does anyone here know of anyone that actually likes that wall-e looking ass thing? Another decision by them that just baffles me.

I always just assumed 343 had a thing for square stuff with small holes in them.

I think overall I prefer them to H4, but I prefer the first 3 games audio over H5, that's for sure.

Theyre not that bad, I just feel again its too 'real' and that Halo is losing its unique sounds, everything sounded different to the average shooters, but not so much with H4 and H5.

I'm surprised so many people avoid the bold so often. Sure if you say its becoming CoD you're just wasting space buuut if you point out how everything about Halo has been sliding towards a more 'realistic' feel you'd be correct or how armor abilities/double jumps/wall runs/ground pounds/jetpacks etc are just some stupid fad going around the FPS market atm. Halo is starting to sound and look generic because while they don't directly copy mechanics from CoD or whatever they do cherry pick abilities that are very similar and they also happen to be mass trends in the FPS market right now. Its absolutely disgusting. The very personality that Halo had has been under attack for awhile. Idk about everyone else but I don't want some generic bullshit. If I did want that I would purchase the games that do it better. Halo has no business trying to come in on that market where it has zero hope of having any success. CoD/BF/Titanfall/Destiny all do what they do better than the others and Halo. Halo needs to look, sound and play like Halo otherwise its going to get crushed by the games that do whatever they're copying better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That does and it sounds fine although I think I would probably want red shorter than you would but perhaps not so much.

I see. Curious, how did you like the beta Magnum's already short RRR? It was only far enough to really be utilized at ranges where you would really just hipfire it anyway. I thought it was perfect in that area. The Magnum just needed to have zero recoil/spread in my opinion and it would be perfect.

you thought it was terrible? I thought it was really good, same with the cea soundtrack.

Some songs were improved.  Many were either altered beyond recognition, or even literally replaced entirely.  Another common trend was the vocals would typically overpower the music in the new music, while in the originals they were actually in the background.

one I don't think is that bad actually, but it's a good example of what I mean when compared to
, and to an extent it has both the problems I mentioned (the latter being more noticeable in-game itself).  And this was by far one of my favorite songs in the entire franchise too.

I didn't have any problem with CEA's music though (though I still honestly think the originals are better, if only slightly).

Also worth noting that at least in CEA I could switch the music itself back and forth.

I assumed this was the case as well but it's very difficult to consciously try to lift your finger higher and shoot slower when it is so ingrained in you.

I think the best way to remove this factor is just to remove spread from the pistol, period. There's no point in leaving it so holding the trigger gives more spread as you can fire just as fast or faster by tapping.

I agree. To think that we have had spread that acts like bloom since CE...

One of the few unfortunate flaws of CE.

I agree. To think that we have had spread that acts like bloom since CE...

One of the few unfortunate flaws of CE.

And not being able to melee out of scope. Gets me killed so much lol.

Yes, couldn't agree more. They seriously need to consider changing that shit. Its so ugly!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, couldn't agree more. They seriously need to consider changing that shit. Its so ugly!

I have yet to see or hear about a person (outside of 343) that genuinely likes the design of that thing.

I have yet to see or hear about a person (outside of 343) that genuinely likes the design of that thing.

I know. Its massive too, so it takes up way too much screen.