CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Im just saying that as long as it isnt like h1 pistol in terms of range and killtimes than im fine with a pistol start. AR starts should be a no go. They take zero skill to use and are annoying to die by. As long as the pistol is pretty much just a aesthetic and the fire rate isnt super fast and the gun is a 4 shot then im fine with it. I understand that if the range is close to mid then it would give the incentive to go for "far ranged weapons".

I just dont want a halo 1 clone with noobie shit in it. I would rather have br starts but if its just a skin of a pistol then im fine with that. I just hope this makes more sense.

The AR should be very good but a map pic up a long withe almost every other non starting weapon. I dont know what else you could spawn with tho which is probly the reason for this thread.

H1 Pistol wouldn't work in H5, because hitscan would make it OP. Projectile CE Pistol =  :goat:

Also, SMG fills the strong-auto map pickup niche, like a more balanced SAW. AR will always be a starting weapon, and should be.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the small majority of the halo community that love halo 1 want halo 5 to be a h1 clone. Cause thats all i get from this site is that everyone is a h1 fanboy now.

• Downvote (-1) 16

So the small majority of the halo community that love halo 1 want halo 5 to be a h1 clone. Cause thats all i get from this site is that everyone is a h1 fanboy now.

Nope. We want a good starting weapon that doesn't obscure 1/2 the sandbox. Learn to read, son.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Cause thats all i get from this site is that everyone is a h1 fanboy now.

What's wrong with being a fan of Halo 1?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Episode 7 is up.

Description: In scanning the slush, Ray makes an interesting discovery. Petrosky returns to tell a terrifying truth about the origins of the Spartan program. And FERO finally surfaces, helping concoct a plan to expose ONI’s ugliest secrets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That... WAS THE FUCKING BOMB

tumblr_mou8y9BxWc1sqwnloo1_500.gif

who ever is writing this stuff, you deserve all the medals

• Upvote (+1) 4

You're potentially one of the most arrogant people on this site... logfish v2 confirmed

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That... WAS THE FUCKING BOMB

who ever is writing this stuff, you deserve all the medals

Seriously. They need to win some awards for this.

I had chills for the last 5 minutes of that episode.

Same here. Those last 5 minutes were chilling. FERO has my attention. 

"And when you are In.....you go for the throat"

• Upvote (+1) 3

well don't leave me in suspense, did the butler do it?

well don't leave me in suspense, did the butler do it?

I think it's implied that either Benjamin starts that fire the right way, or him and his buddies are corpses in space. FERO isn't joking around.

I think it's implied that either Benjamin starts that fire the right way, or him and his buddies are corpses in space. Pharaoh isn't joking around.

FERO*

Get out lore'd  :kappa:

I go for the throat, tho.

I would, but then I'd have to neg rep that post for being wrong, then take you in for questioning.

Can't have folks changing the lore now can we. 

But, in a seriousness I think Fero is Halsey 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would, but then I'd have to neg rep that post for being wrong, then take you in for questioning.

Can't have folks changing the lore now can we. 

But, in a seriousness I think Fero is Halsey 

I'm curious why you think that.

I have been an avid reader of these forums, and in light of the recent increase in communication from 343i through the efforts of Josh Holmes (@@Sal1ent) here, I thought it would be useful to consolidate a few of the broader issues this community has raised, the suggestions it has made, or have been made in other Halo forums, and the design-vision of 343 as revealed on Waypoint and in Josh’s posts, into a series of potential compromises that may satisfy, not fully, but in part, both.

In the following areas:

Sprint

This community has expressed a desire for a Halo title without sprint, yet Josh made it clear in a recent post that 343 feel that Halo 5 plays best with the ability. This post: (http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9548-sal1ent/page-4?do=findComment&comment=467267) outlined a great solution; allow players to maintain weapon (and grenade) control during sprint, but with no or extremely limited aim assist, with this signalled to the player by a large reticle as Josh suggested. Therefore the sprint trade-off changes from being faster movement at the cost of shield regeneration and offensive capacity, to faster movement at the cost of speed regeneration and accuracy. The primary issues that had been identified around its implementation in past games included those of escape-ability, loss of offensive abilities which slows the game and its negative influence on map design. Complaints such as the following lament that Halo has moved towards the ‘run or gun’ style of other shooters, as opposed to its traditional capacity for shooting with all elements of its movement suite: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145296085&postcount=4903. By implementing this change 343i would be able to largely address the first two problem areas. The challenge would mainly remain in designing maps for sprint (with the many associated challenges outlined here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QYQb_iGiWrOUyCe6L9FsH5Xkbumtzm5lhmIzS43RTH8/mobilebasic?pli=1), and the difficulty doing so might in itself be reduced by this change, as for example, the ‘no man’s land’ effect might not be as prevalent.

A potential issue with such a change may be that the removal of aim assist when sprint-shooting may serve as a more effective balancing tool for precision weapons than for automatic weapons. If the latter is not balanced appropriately for such a change, there is a danger of moving far into the nasty intersection of ‘spray and pray’ and ‘run and gun.’ As such, perhaps there may be further efforts to balance this for automatic weapons, whether this be through a slight spread or damage penalty.

Thruster Pack

In a similar fashion to the response to the non-offensive nature of sprint, many have detailed their distaste with the forced loss of weapon (and grenade) control while using the thruster pack. This was keenly felt in the beta, with a number of complaints identifying the negative impact of the ability on long range engagements and the slowing of the game at this range, which was particularly evident on Truth for example.

To address this, a similar solution to the Sprint issue may be applied. 343i may allow players to maintain weapon (and grenade) control while using the thruster pack, yet with no or extremely limited aim assist, with this indicated by a large reticle. The current delay prior to thrusting would be maintained (as described here: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-931?do=findComment&comment=422258) to keep the ability balanced for opposing players, serving as a ‘tell,’ and the difficulty inherent to moving laterally at such a speed, amplified by the loss of aim assist, would keep the ability fair. If a player was sufficiently skilled so as to land a shot with such limitations, they probably deserve to be able to do so.

By making such a change to the Thruster Pack ability, this should serve to widen the scope for offensive usage of the ability and thus, as well as adding depth to the game and making it somewhat more interesting to play/watch, should on average balance out its defensive usage. The length of the ability’s cool-down period is also an area for potential balancing, with perhaps a slight increase beneficial to long-range encounters, and I expect that data from the beta will be useful in identifying the specifics here.

Clamber

Prior to the introduction of clamber, the ‘jumping’ capacities of players incorporated the basic jump, crouch jump, grenade jump, weapon splash damage jumps and various combinations of these, in order of increasing skill and height gained. Clamber fits in just above the basic jump largely in terms of ‘height gained,’ but the required-skill increase from a normal jump is extremely minimal. Now, it is important, due to the ability’s ubiquity, that it remains very accessible, however, at the moment it lacks any significant learning curve or depth, and is quite powerful as a mobility tool despite the low skill level required.

There need not be a significant ramp up in difficulty here, but in its current state, a case could be made for subtle change increasing the skill required slightly. This could be achieved through removing the ‘hold to clamber’ option, to somewhat increase the skill associated with the timing of the clamber-button press, and/or by slightly reducing the distance from an edge from which a player is able to clamber. These would not dramatically alter the ability, but merely alter the current ‘master almost immediately’ model.

One could suggest maintaining weapon control as an improvement here, however, with forced perspective and the likely context of the ability’s use, it may not be worthwhile. However, the ubiquity of clamber should be addressed (a little) as it affects holding certain positions in the same way as overly porous environments (http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-965?do=findComment&comment=436604) and the frequent lowering of weapons may contribute to the slowing of the game slightly. A few more jumps that don’t require clamber, or require a jumping skill higher than clamber, would be sufficient to address this.

Smart Scope

I cannot say I am sure I understand the lore argument behind the change, as it thought the old system represented the ‘smart link’ between the Spartan’s Mjolnir armor and weapon(s), but that is neither here nor there in this gameplay discussion. For the most part, particularly following the post-beta changes Josh identified 343i as implementing, namely reducing artificial bonuses of using the ability, Smart Scope works reasonably well.

The primary issue many have identified is the sub-optimal visibility when using the ability on the beta’s precision weapons. The Light Rifle was a notable exception, as its design managed to de-clutter the important middle of the screen, while the DMR was probably the worst example and this was identified as subject to change in Josh’s blog. However, other weapons for which the ability is important, were also lacking in visibility, albeit to a lesser extent; namely, these were the Magnum, BR and Sniper Rifle. The case of the Magnum will be become important later and this post: (http://i.imgur.com/tNJvGWr.jpg) highlights changes in visibility with the Sniper Rifle scope.

Some improvements to the Smart Scope designs for these weapons to increase visibility, in the same vein as that proposed for the DMR would likely be appreciated by much of the Halo community. In general, the animation speed for Smart Scope on all weapons could use an increase, not just for the Sniper Rifle, although it was the weapon in most need of the change; clunky-ness due to slow animations was also a common complaint in the beta regarding Smart Scope (alongside other animations such as those for reloading and switching weapons).

Charge

In the beta, the risk associated with the charge ability was quite high due to a number of factors, and here: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9548-sal1ent/page-12#entry468696 Josh states that 343i are currently working to reduce the cool-down after using the ability to promote fluidity. This would address the issue whereby using the ability against a non-weakened enemy, as is often the case considering the ability is activated while sprinting, was tantamount to the player wilfully allowing the opposing player to deal some significant damage while they are incapacitated. This was exacerbated by the change from first, to third and again to first person over the course of the animation. If the ability is kept in first person, then only a small reduction in the cool-down period would be sufficient to improve the ability from its state in the beta.

Ground Pound Controls

In the post-beta changes blog, Josh identified that 343i are working to change the controls for the Ground Pound. This was a particularly annoying element of the beta, for example, in the Halo 4 control scheme which I used, it required holding the B button and aiming with the right analogue stick, which is quite difficult, not to mention the interference with crouch jumping. As has been suggested in a number of places, strong options to consider would be holding the thruster pack and melee buttons (B+RB in the default scheme, LB+RB in the Halo 4 scheme, etc.) or D-Pad down.

Weapon Starts

As has been suggested here in a thread on the matter, two strong options to consider would be AR/BR or AR/Magnum, with the Magnum buffed by implementing the following changes from the beta:

• Reducing recoil
  • Improving Smart Scope visibility (which was quite poor in the beta and needs to be improved for ranged use), which may be accompanied by an increase in range
  • 15 bullets per clip to allow for 3 perfect kills without reloading

Such changes should make the Magnum a strong, viable starting weapon and as such, may not require a direct damage/TTK buff, with the latter already quite fast. A possible alternative, in addition to the changes to recoil, Smart Scope and range, would be make the Magnum a weapon with a four shot kill (with 12 bullets per clip), yet with the same (or slightly reduced from the) TTK present in the beta.

Bullet Magnetism

As a final aside with regard to Halo 5’s skill gap: I’m sure many would agree that the level of auto-aim in the beta was at a reasonable level, yet that bullet magnetism was too high. If the former is decreased, then much of the battle in achieving a reasonably large skill gap would be accomplished as, in the words of Scott ‘Gandhi’ Lussier: ‘If shooting’s hard, then the game’s hard.’ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nffMurA-2K0)

This is what I have managed to pull together after reading over many recent threads here and Josh’s posts, alongside re-reading various threads created during and following the beta on sites like NeoGAF and Reddit. I hope that @@Sal1ent is able to read through this and take the suggestions made here and others by the community into consideration, and inform us of any potential inclusion in Halo 5. I also hope that the current situation regarding communication from Josh continues, and that the community will meet this with constructive, actionable feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm curious why you think that.

The manner in which she speaks just reminds me of Halsey post-Kilo Five trilogy. The way she was in Spartan Ops reminds me of the way Fero was speaking.

Fero could be a former SPARTAN for all we know, but Halsey is also the second most likely identity.

What if Fero is Naomi-010 from the Kilo-Five series? I mean she was having some inner turmoil toward the end of Mortal Dictata. Just another possibility.

• Upvote (+1) 1