CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

HCS_Season_2_Graphic.png

Closer look at the Halo 5: Guardians weapons from the HCS Season 2 video released today.

Shotgun spotted.

Because once isn't enough.

34f2140d2f956d0cec69a09dddb15fbd.png

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It seems to me that some people want a starting weapon that can shoot across the map with enough accuracy that they will be able to push back effectively anyone that is harassing them. I would prefer that the exception be cross map harassing either with a pick up or sniper. I would prefer something more short range as a start.

It seems to me that if people want to be cross map capable on start, then there is a play list for that, it is called Snipers. And before anyone tells me that it isn't the same as slayer, I got to say people play it like SWAT. Halo sniper never plays like sniper unless you are 2v2 on Hemorrhage. And even then you see players sprint in the open acting like they are in a SWAT playlist.

That of course is a different game, and people will say starting with a power weapon isn't the same as a BR. Okay I get that. But then the question that comes to my mind is, if Slayer (any flavor) is one playlist, SWAT another, and Sniper a third, then why on earth are you guys against Slayer AR and Slayer BR for?

It seems to me that some people want a starting weapon that can shoot across the map with enough accuracy that they will be able to push back effectively anyone that is harassing them. I would prefer that the exception be cross map harassing either with a pick up or sniper. I would prefer something more short range as a start.

It seems to me that if people want to be cross map capable on start, then there is a play list for that, it is called Snipers. And before anyone tells me that it isn't the same as slayer, I got to say people play it like SWAT. Halo sniper never plays like sniper unless you are 2v2 on Hemorrhage. And even then you see players sprint in the open acting like they are in a SWAT playlist.

That of course is a different game, and people will say starting with a power weapon isn't the same as a BR. Okay I get that. But then the question that comes to my mind is, if Slayer (any flavor) is one playlist, SWAT another, and Sniper a third, then why on earth are you guys against Slayer AR and Slayer BR for?

You know that reductive kind of argument doesn't work, it's like someone telling you to go play with shotguns starts if you only want closer range engagements (which unfortunately has been done before).

The discussion is around what the core of the game will be based on, not just Slayer. Quite rightly the competitive community and the developer have had enough of separating the experiences as from a progression point of view (exposure, familiarity, feedback) it doesn't work for anyone. AR / Pistol starts aren't going anywhere but I feel it's still very likely that the game will get a rifle start 'Pro' option and that is probably what the competitive community will align with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The devs of Halo CE were willing to work on the MCC project as paid consultants but 343 wouldn't swallow their pride and look where it got them.

Really? Source?

Really? Source?

I think hardy lebel mentioned that he would have been willing to help out with the development or something but no one at 343 asked him.

I think hardy lebel mentioned that he would have been willing to help out with the development or something but no one at 343 asked him.

I dont doubt that 343i would make a move that stupid, but some source would be nice

This isnt halo 1 and i would never want AR/pistol starts. Every last halo game has somewhat did it right. BR/Pistol starts. I dont want a pistol for the fact of it having lesser range and the AR is the noobiest gun in the game.

BR is fine for close quarters and for long range. People complaining about  being "crossed mapped" can do the same thing to another player. I have never once heard a pro say that they want "pistol starts" because the br soots to far.

The BR/Pis are perfect for every gametype. People can still pick up other close range weapons to take out ppl with br's and no one ever complains about being shot across the map. If anything i would say more people would complain in h1 cross mapping with sniper pistol on maps with almost no cover.

• Downvote (-1) 1

http://www.hardylebel.com/2015/02/453/

Hardy's first reply in the comments section. Apparently he has reached out to 343 himself.

Real talk.  And after 6 months of f'ups, if these guys still haven't brought former CE devs in, they they are just taking steps backwards instead of forwards.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This isnt halo 1 and i would never want AR/pistol starts. Every last halo game has somewhat did it right. BR/Pistol starts. I dont want a pistol for the fact of it having lesser range and the AR is the noobiest gun in the game.

BR is fine for close quarters and for long range. People complaining about  being "crossed mapped" can do the same thing to another player. I have never once heard a pro say that they want "pistol starts" because the br soots to far.

The BR/Pis are perfect for every gametype. People can still pick up other close range weapons to take out ppl with br's and no one ever complains about being shot across the map. If anything i would say more people would complain in h1 cross mapping with sniper pistol on maps with almost no cover.

Jesus Christ.

People want AR/Pistol starts because it promotes the most map movement, and the Pistol is the most skillful weapon so far in H5.

H1 has plenty of cover as well, so not sure about your comment either. It's also hard as fuck to shoot across Hang em High consistently, unlike H5 where I can get easy 4/5 shots across the map in Truth.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Alright man, because basing your opinion on what someone else thinks (not that it was even polled anyway) is a good proof of logical thinking. If everyone thought like this, we'd be playing some sort of Midship or Sanctuary variant for the next 10 years still.

I'm expecting Halo 6 to have thermal vision, night vision, and x-ray imagining. It'd also be cool if you could equip an Oculus rift to the spartan and he can play as the master chief from the other games. Immersion inception

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm expecting Halo 6 to have thermal vision, night vision, and x-ray imagining. It'd also be cool if you could equip an Oculus rift to the spartan and he can play as the master chief from the other games. Immersion inception

Crysis 2 multiplayer was so fun!

So fun I snapped the disk in half.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Are you saying it's better because we have new pieces?

If so, that's definitely a benefit, but I still think new pieces will only take us so far.  Reach was the first iteration to change the entire forge palette but it still quickly grew stale.  Even the more simplified Sandbox palette saw more creative use through its lifespan than the Reach palette ever did.  Still it's nice they're building it ground up. I just wish they'd give us something to make it a little more interesting than a flat white, even a basic rock/sand/moss/metal texture would be nice.

My comment was in reference to your statement about colors being bland. In that regard I was trying to say that color is only one small part of the overall usefulness of the palette.

The problem with Reach was that the skins were forerunner architecture, yet only Affinity leveraged the skins correctly. All other maps were trying to bend the skins into other kinds of architectures, and they looked terrible. The problem wasn't so much that it was all gray, because that wasn't the case entirely. The problem was that people didn't leverage the colors AND the textures to form architectures that they were meant to form.

Forge 2A has a predominately cement texture to the palette skins, and this, along with the metallic features, lends to ancient ruins architecture and industrial architecture. to this day I have only seen two maps that leverage the skins as either of those two forms of architectures. It saddens me that forgers try to take a cement piece and shape it, orientate it, mold it, place it, and use it as one would a forerunner metallic piece. It doesn't work. As for the two maps I speak of, they look like they could pass as developer (mesh) maps rather than forged maps.

Now back to the pics you showed on H5. For me the color should be soft, quiet, and flat. This is a positive feature of the skins. The texture being smooth is also a positive feature of the skins. The problem is how these will be used in forge if these are the forge pieces.  If the maps leverage the skins, then it will look great. If the maps try to twist the skins into other forms of architecture, then you will be correct, it will grow old fast. But that isn't a function of the skins. It's a function of the forger.

I am only seeing the pics you offered. But take a look at that one map that breakout was played on during the beta (IIRC), it looked like lego blocks. It literally looked artificial. I would HATE to forge with that color scheme because it doesn't look realistic in any architecture.

But the real question is what pieces are available in forge 5? If what you showed us were just some of the blocks available in a forge 5 palette, then i would hope that other blocks in the same palette would include various subtle shades of earth tone colors as we saw, add variety of such earth tone colors, and a variety of shades, and some clean metallic pieces. Then you are sitting very good... but only if you want to work with the skin textures and not against them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I simply don't see Hardy Lebel being a huge asset to 343, and that's not a shot at Hardy at all. He seems like a brilliant developer but I think there are just two extremely different philosophies within game design. It's obvious what the intended design of Halo is supposed to be lately and its just way too different from the principles he implemented in the game, like a small but functional sandbox, fast TTK, varying game elements that the player can utilize, like weapons bouncing or quick camo, an actual sense of verticality in Halo, something I last felt when I got that shitty spawn P1 while getting shot p3.

Alright man, because basing your opinion on what someone else thinks (not that it was even polled anyway) is a good proof of logical thinking. If everyone thought like this, we'd be playing some sort of Midship or Sanctuary variant for the next 10 years still.

Even worse regarding his point, in H4 competitive settings decided on BR over DMR, partially because the DMR "shot too far"

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know that reductive kind of argument doesn't work, it's like someone telling you to go play with shotguns starts if you only want closer range engagements (which unfortunately has been done before).

The discussion is around what the core of the game will be based on, not just Slayer. Quite rightly the competitive community and the developer have had enough of separating the experiences as from a progression point of view (exposure, familiarity, feedback) it doesn't work for anyone. AR / Pistol starts aren't going anywhere but I feel it's still very likely that the game will get a rifle start 'Pro' option and that is probably what the competitive community will align with.

Bight your tongue!

Shotty Snipers on The Pit Flag was the goat!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm stuck in an odd position.

I played H4 competitively, mostly because it was the first Halo game that someone took the time to introduce me to competitive elements of it. I dumped about 300+ hours into it, and while I understood that objectively, it was a bad Halo game, I still enjoyed my time with it because most of my friends, casual and competitive, played it. My biggest issue was the disconnect between competitive play and casual play, and because my casual friends didn't want to learn the ins and outs of competitive maps with static loadouts, we generally just played on the terrible, default maps with boltshots and ordinance raining from the skies. Same thing happened with Reach v7, even though it was an objectively better experience, my friends didn't want to play it because they were in a playlist with no rankings, so better players with better knowledge of these casual-foreign maps kept showing up and stomping them.

So I had to make the choice between playing a better version of the game or playing with my friends (who even though they're scrubs, I do enjoy my gaming time with them).

In Halo 5, it looks like (and I'm cautiously hoping for) a more homogenous experience between competitive and casual, so even if I dub around in non-competitive playlists, I'm at least playing the same version that competitive players are. I just want a balanced experience for both sides of my playing, and only have to adjust my mindset between the two and not feel like I'm playing a neutered version of the game when I'm not playing customs or a competitive playlist.

If they don't completely mess this game up somehow, and even if it's not the greatest Halo experience you can have, my time with the beta seems to point toward me enjoying this game. And where I'm not as overtly concerned about playing competitively but more about how the competitive experience is balanced (if that makes any sense at all), I'll probably get the game day 1 and be the guinea pig for the rest of you, because I'm excited and my friends are excited.

So, no, I don't expect it to be the second coming of CE, but I'm hoping for a fun singleplayer experience and a balanced multiplayer I can sink time into for a few years.

And that pistol. Hnnnng.

TL;DR: I expect it to be much better than 4, on par with 3, and with a grain of salt and some hope, as good as Reach v7.

I totally understand your position man. I too started with H4, even though I have been playing since 2005. I learned a lot playing H4 competitive custom games (I'm sure a lot of people will 'lol' that statement). When I first started playing the competitive settings, I hated them because they were so different from default settings. As I got used to playing them though, I started to hate the default settings instead because, ironically, they were so different from competitive settings. So I too have had this divide between my competitive and casual friends.

Glad to see that I am not the only one.

ON TOPIC: I think Halo 5 could easily have the potential to be the best Halo since CE (having gotten the chance to play CE in MCC I agree that it is the best).

However, that very much depends on how well post-beta changes improve the gameplay experience of H5, and also on wether we can get universal settings for casual and competitive play. I am sick of the settings divide, with no range casual AR starts sucking, and the boring BR/Snipe/Rockets standoff meta of competitive.

H5 has damn near nailed the feel of Halo Arena AR/Magnum starts, and if the Magnum buff is perfected by launch, H5 could already have universal starts and settings (except for the motion tracker of course) for the first time since CE with AR/Buffed Magnum starts.

Lets hope that it goes well. So far, the beta gave me very good impressions about H5, and the campaign is looking to be awesome as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent,

Exactly how have you guys at 343I buffed the H5 Magnum since the beta? Some details on this would greatly help with pre-launch feedback. Thanks.

-SMARTAN 427

No response yet???

:'(

Just noticed.. Goldenboy was put as a 'Halo Pro Player' in The Sprint ep4. 

So, why Goldenboy isn't participating with his own team?  :wutface:

Just noticed.. Goldenboy was put as a 'Halo Pro Player' in The Sprint ep4. 

So, why Goldenboy isn't participating with his own team?  :wutface:

According to the H5 beta - all of us here are "Pro's" as well.

Im just saying that as long as it isnt like h1 pistol in terms of range and killtimes than im fine with a pistol start. AR starts should be a no go. They take zero skill to use and are annoying to die by. As long as the pistol is pretty much just a aesthetic and the fire rate isnt super fast and the gun is a 4 shot then im fine with it. I understand that if the range is close to mid then it would give the incentive to go for "far ranged weapons".

I just dont want a halo 1 clone with noobie shit in it. I would rather have br starts but if its just a skin of a pistol then im fine with that. I just hope this makes more sense.

The AR should be very good but a map pic up a long withe almost every other non starting weapon. I dont know what else you could spawn with tho which is probly the reason for this thread.