CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The team has been experimenting with an objective (one flag). This adds depth by giving you two ways to win the round: push the flag or eliminate the opposing team. It helps address stalling/camping when the stakes are high. No guarantees it'll ship this way but the results have been positive so far.

Actually speaking of One Flag CTF, if in the normal 4v4/8v8 CTF/Assault game modes. If the game is 2-0 at the start of the 4th round, can you please make the game end? Very frustrating thing to play a full 5-6 minute round of a game that is now literally impossible to win. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

tumblr_n1aqvdoRhi1rs8ziuo1_500.gif

Best food in the world. Hands down. 

Mmmmm. Heading there in a week - first thing I'm gonna do.

Poutine = Heaven on Earth

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent Can you get the art team to chill on the visual clutter? I know they want the map to look good but it starts effect game play when it is visually busy to look at.

This is a constant challenge with heightened visual fidelity. What you see as "clutter," someone else sees as "detail" - the goal (and challenge) is to deliver a more detailed physical environment that maximizes the capabilities of the Xbox One while retaining clarity of image and the ability to follow the action. Your point is well taken though and this is something we are always working to balance.

Josh could we get any insight regarding crouching + thrust = a slide in that direction.

Slide is triggered from sprint, so if sprint is turned off so is slide. We tested thrust + crouch and it never felt right in combination.

I see what you did there. 

@Sal1ent 

1.When do you think the season2 of the sprint will air? and how many eps are you thinking of doing?

2. When will we get visual differences to H5 post-beta feedback? E3? 

1. Not exactly sure - it takes a LOT of time and footage to pull together the full episodes and right now Paul is busy filming the next series.

2. The next major beat for us in revealing H5 content is E3, yes.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So tell me why Halo 1 had incentive to move around the map when the pistol was the weapon of choice (easily a better weapon than the H5 BR no?)

It is because there were things called power ups and power weapons, which are things that you do not spawn with if you have BR starts. 

As for the comment about not moving because of better range, let me ask you, which game had more camping: Halo 2 or Halo 3? Which one had a weapon with better effective range? 

The way I picture things, in CE, it worked well because as strong as the pistol was, it was a lot more difficult to use than the Halo 5 BR. On top of that, the numerous power items in CE weren't as individually game changing as they are in Halo 5, considering how scarce they are, and how significantly stronger they are than the utility weapons. Therefore, CE was able to afford to spawn a lot of them on rather short timers, motivating people to push for them a lot more often than recent Halo games (H5 included). This gave the game an overall much faster pace since people were almost always setting up for a new power item.

I honestly wish I could answer you well about H2 vs. H3. I'm not experienced at all with H2 considering I was 11 when it came out and I was just getting Halo at the time. My experience with that game is limited to BTB and multi-team LAN parties. I'd go ahead and assume (based on the point you're trying to make) that H3 was the campier one, however, I'd argue that a lot of that was based on map design. H2 is known to have some of the best 4v4 maps in the entire franchise. A lot of small maps with sight lines that force people into battles whether they want it or not -- something I think H5 doesn't have at all.

H3 wasn't campy at all when MLG started using maps where you were forced onto battles, like Onslaught, Lockdown, Amplified, Heretic, etc. Then you have maps like Construct, that would have been campy as hell no matter how accurate your weapon is (probably even more so if it had been impossible to cross the streets without getting 4'd most the time, resulting in people not wanting to push through top gold ever). All in all, I don't think you can blame the just utility weapon in this situation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a constant challenge with heightened visual fidelity. What you see as "clutter," someone else sees as "detail" - the goal (and challenge) is to deliver a more detailed physical environment ....

Look at h3 maps valhala, guardian, construct, and sand trap. Great detail. Phenomenal detailing.

Look at any h4 map. Clutter.

What is the difference? The overuse of contrast.

Let me know when you want to hire me.

Thanks for playing devil's advocate again Clynt, you are bringing the best out of these guys ^

• Upvote (+1) 3

Again, thank you so much @@Sal1ent for being clear and concise with us, as well as providing a healthy court of responses for important questions regarding features and fixes. :-)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was just bugging Quinn today about coming back to BE. ;)

Frame rate in beta was only partially optimized and Strongholds was the worst case example. The engineering team is united in their focus on delivering stable 60fps across modes for launch.

No Invasion but more to come on larger scale MP. Stay tuned!

This has been a big point of contention at times for the team. Breakout was designed around higher lethality to promote faster kill times and empower individual play. Moving to a unified experience has clear advantages but it also reduces the opportunity for a single player to take an entire opposing team to secure the comeback win. Those thrilling moments are part of the DNA of the mode - hence the hesitation in making the shift. Rest assured that you are not alone in debating this. :)

All good news! Want to thank you again for posting on here, :holmes:

What if you only put legendary weapons in Breakout? Like the CE pistol, Rookie Suppressed SMG, etc. ? Would be  :goat:

Edit: Loadout with Legendary CE Pistol & Rookie Suppressed SMG (with near-SAW levels of damage). Have Boltshot, Shotgun, and Sniper as on-map pickups. 

Actually speaking of One Flag CTF, if in the normal 4v4/8v8 CTF/Assault game modes. If the game is 2-0 at the start of the 4th round, can you please make the game end? Very frustrating thing to play a full 5-6 minute round of a game that is now literally impossible to win. 

This has needed to happen since 2004.  Can we finally get this put in?

Also, I would really like to see games of KotH and Oddball end automatically when a comeback becomes mathematically impossible.  Perhaps an optional Gears of War Annex/KotH style audio cue could warn players that the game was nearly over, so it's not coming out of nowhere. @@Sal1ent, any chance we can get something like this put in?

• Upvote (+1) 3

H2A already does this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H2A already does this.

Excellent! Finally. I haven't played a single Objective game in MCC because Australians can only find games in the Team Slayer playlist, but that is very pleasing to hear.

All good news! Want to thank you again for posting on here, :holmes:

What if you only put legendary weapons in Breakout? Like the CE pistol, Rookie Suppressed SMG, etc. ? Would be  :goat:

Edit: Loadout with Legendary CE Pistol & Rookie Suppressed SMG (with near-SAW levels of damage). Have Boltshot, Shotgun, and Sniper as on-map pickups. 

CE Pistol. Yes. Original graphics and all hahah. It needs to be legendary weapon. 

@@Sal1ent While i did enjoy playing the H5 beta for the most part I actually did not find sprint to be my biggest gripe, to my surprise. It was actually the thruster.

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/fb1f8635-9a23-4aed-b599-83690ae3d512

This sorta thing happened to me every game and it was EXTREMELY frustrating. In past halos these players would have died for being out of position and in the open. My question is, has this/will this be addressed before launch? I saw in the post beta write up you did that the thruster was slightly nerfed. Would the new thruster still save these players? Thanks!

• Upvote (+1) 6

@@Sal1ent While i did enjoy playing the H5 beta for the most part I actually did not find sprint to be my biggest gripe, to my surprise. It was actually the thruster.

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/fb1f8635-9a23-4aed-b599-83690ae3d512

This sorta thing happened to me every game and it was EXTREMELY frustrating. In past halos these players would have died for being out of position and in the open. My question is, has this/will this be addressed before launch? I saw in the post beta write up you did that the thruster was slightly nerfed. Would the new thruster still save these players? Thanks!

This literally sums up my entire issue with the thruster pack. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

One of the problems with Truth is that people hear "inspired by Midship" and immediately compare it to that classic map. We took inspiration from Midship but didn't want duplicate it in terms of layout or size. We wanted something that had its own character. It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Since beta the lighting has improved to allow for better player visibility (no more blue team hiding in plain sight), the weapon placements have changed, and overall it plays much better (especially with the higher base speed).

So why wasn't Midship remade for H2A again?

This is a constant challenge with heightened visual fidelity. What you see as "clutter," someone else sees as "detail" - the goal (and challenge) is to deliver a more detailed physical environment that maximizes the capabilities of the Xbox One while retaining clarity of image and the ability to follow the action. Your point is well taken though and this is something we are always working to balance.

Very nice to see you address this @@Sal1ent. Halo 1 and to a lesser extent 2 have always been my preferred art styles because of how clean and pure they are in design. It is always clear as to how you should make your play. Hardy lebel talked about this a lot in q and a, you should really give that guy a call btw. As the grandfather of the deepest halo ever designed and founder of everything good that multiplayer halo was built on, I think he would offer some very valuable opinions on halo 5 and not just from a competitive standpoint.

@@Sal1ent

Kind of offtopic but what would you guys think of a Halo 3: ODST type of game focusing on Kurt before/during the Ghosts of Onyx story line. Always felt like that book would fit right in and you'd get to experience more people from Blue/Green team. Its a pretty interesting story in general involving spartan IIIs and a couple of spartan IIs and it would be cool to explore the differences between the two. Plus it would be more or less self contained because of how it ends

edit: anddd fixed

• Upvote (+1) 3

1. Not exactly sure - it takes a LOT of time and footage to pull together the full episodes and right now Paul is busy filming the next series.

2. The next major beat for us in revealing H5 content is E3, yes.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. Like many have said before, these back and forth exchanges are great for the community. Looking forward to see what the team has in store for E3 and how you can top last year. 

(btw can you unblock from twitter please?  :holmes:

@@Sal1ent

Kind of offtopic but what would you guys think of a Halo 3: ODST type of game focusing on Kurt before/during the Ghosts of Onyx story line. Always felt like that book would fit right in and you'd get to experience more people from Blue/Green team. Its a pretty interesting story in general involving spartan IIIs and a couple of spartan IIs and it would be cool to explore the differences between the two. Plus it would be more or less self contained because of how it ends

edit: no idea why the post is white lol

I would assume you copy/pasted it from somewhere else.

Go to Edit Post -> Copy everything you wrote.  Paste it into Notepad.  Re-Copy it, Paste it into the edit window, then click save/post.  Everything will be normal.

@@Sal1ent

edit: anddd fixed

I would assume you copy/pasted it from somewhere else.

Go to Edit Post -> Copy everything you wrote.  Paste it into Notepad.  Re-Copy it, Paste it into the edit window, then click save/post.  Everything will be normal.

Better yet, in the forum, highlight the selection that's "white" and press the "eraser" looking icon 

E2D1Nl6.png

And it will erase all formatting and go back to default.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Better yet, in the forum, highlight the selection that's "white" and press the "eraser" looking icon 

E2D1Nl6.png

And it will erase all formatting and go back to default.

I just opened the actual formatting and deleted it all. I guess I started to quote someone else and forgot about it before I started my post

@@Sal1ent I don't know if you can answer but is Arena style gameplay the focus or the exception in H5G? Like is it going to be 10% Arena and 90% BTB?