CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Chief can't be republican...Otherwise he'd be associated with George W. Bush

He'd also be associated with Abraham Lincoln.

And I can think of worse associations than Dubya . . .

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have any of you considered how the meta would change if CE style crouching was in H5 (you have to maintain crouch speed or you won't crouch)?

Just food for thought.

EDIT: Might be detrimental, since crouching was almost pointless to begin with IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a problem with your idea of what you consider a "power item". 343 has made it clear that the sandbox uses a 3-tiered weapon system, and that Tier 2 weapons (BR, DMR, LR, SMG, and a few others) are designed to be map pick-ups.

You're asking for the game to cater to your preconceived idea of power items and upgrades in firepower based on Halo's history, rather than how the actual game was designed. This is a mistake and will cause significant balance issues.

Then we need the starting weapon to be the most versatile of the rifles, and in the beta it was the BR.

Having players start with the worst "rifle" just so they are obligated to race for a better rifle is annoying.

In Halo 5, the BR is not hard to master compared to the pistol, which is a problem when you hand it for free to people. It weakens the skill gap across the board for no reason at all, and demotivates people from pushing because just about anyone will 4 or 5 shot despite the distance. Once again, no reason for competitive players to ask for a change which would weaken the skill gap across the board.

All weapons need the bullet magnetism reduced. But i am sick of this "everyone can 4-shot all the time from anywhere with the BR" even Pro players miss with the BR, and that is on H2A, the H5 Br was harder to use.

But If the Magnum gets buffed and the range increased to have a chance vs the other rifles then i would prefer that.

It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Not to start 'this' debate again, but this is one of the things that bothers me is that (it appears that) you're aiming to please the new players instead of the existing and passionate community. Halo is already overwhelmingly successful, why the need to chase new players when you already have a dedicated fanbase?

I'm all for improving and refreshing an experience, but Halo developers have a habit of changing instead of refining which alienates us fans a lot. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

@@Sal1ent Can you get the art team to chill on the visual clutter? I know they want the map to look good but it starts effect game play when it is visually busy to look at. The forge maps did a great job at showing how a simple look works  great in Halo. On another visual note. The game looked really bad on live streams or recorded video. 

Seriously, it is the thing I probably hate most about modern shooters. It is impossible to see anything.

Not to start 'this' debate again, but this is one of the things that bothers me is that (it appears that) you're aiming to please the new players instead of the existing and passionate community. Halo is already overwhelmingly successful, why the need to chase new players when you already have a dedicated fanbase?

I'm all for improving and refreshing an experience, but Halo developers have a habit of changing instead of refining which alienates us fans a lot. 

It is alright. They will keep developing for the casual fanbase that disappears after a month no matter what they put in the game and then wonder why no one is playing the game a month later like what happened with Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I need to ask

What exactly do people want out of a weapon on spawn? A utility weapon that's viable at every range or a weapon that's good from close to medium range but limited at long range or something else entirely? I'm getting mixed messages here. A utility weapon is useful at all ranges, having the weapon not being viable at longer ranges doesn't make it a utility weapon.

The problem I had in Halo 4 and now with Halo 5 is that the pistol, DMR, and BR are all redundent and have no clear goal in their implemenation. Why Halo 1/2/3 were so great is that the Pistol/BR had a very clear, defined role. The reason why I consider Halo 1 the best was that you could start with the Pistol and be competitive in killing anyone on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not even sure what bad positions mean in your case. All I can think of is you want to clean up a kill from across the map without having to move around much. More positions around the map become more/less vulnerable depending on the effective range of your starting weapon (and the map design, of course).

Having a weapon capable of shooting across the map doesn't mean that there won't be any map movement.  Just look at CE, it has the most powerful utility weapon in the series and players are constantly moving around the map in order to secure power ups, power weapons, and manipulate there teammate spawns.  The issue with Halo 2 Anniversary and shooting across the map comes down to multiple factors but the biggest issues are

-The BR is too easy to use

-The BR kills too slow

Because of this anybody can easily crossmap and ping the enemy but because of the long kill times this doesn't necessary net you a kill leading to players playing a much more conservative style of play because they are unable to punish enemies that decide to stick themselves out in the open.  In CE the pistol killed fast enough and had enough range to allow most of these encounters to end in a kill unlike later Halo games where the enemy would be able to run to cover.  There's also factors such as player spawns, weapon spawns, and general map design that allowed movement in CE as well.  While the pistol in CE had long range he game used vertical map design to break up lines of sight so that players wouldn't always be constantly spotted and killed whenever they moved.  Players had to be aware of not only of the plane that they were on but ones that were both above and below them as well.  Halo 5 could benefit from such a map design philosophy as well considering thruster and sprinting around walls for cover make easy getaways and were very much an issue in the beta.  What Halo 5 needs is a utility weapon that's intuitive to use difficult to master, effective at all ranges, and fast killing.  With all the movement options that are now available it's even more important to empower a player's offensive abilities in order to significantly punish overly defensive playstyles that all these new options encourage.  A powerful utility weapon would help greatly in making a much more fast pace Halo game.

That was not a very good team of players lol. Unless they made a challenge to beat you guys without power weapons...

They were very good and used the power weapons as bait.

The only reason I think we should use BR starts is because if we don't I'm sure there would be tons of people that don't even give ar/pistol starts a try.

Now that mcc is out idk if h5 will have a decent population after a month. Ill prob still be playing hardcore.

The only reason I think we should use BR starts is because if we don't I'm sure there would be tons of people that don't even give ar/pistol starts a try.

This number is nothing compared to the amount of casuals that don't turn competitive due to the high barrier to entry created by BR starts. For once we would have a healthy transfer rate and this would boost competitive numbers far more than trying to retain BR-enthusiasts would.

• Upvote (+1) 3

He'd also be associated with Abraham Lincoln.

And I can think of worse associations than Dubya . . .

Well...I mean...Not to start a history class or whatever, but the Republican and Democratic philosophies began to switch around the 1920's so take that how you will.

Back on topic: I still like Locke's visor

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

One of the problems with Truth is that people hear "inspired by Midship" and immediately compare it to that classic map. We took inspiration from Midship but didn't want duplicate it in terms of layout or size. We wanted something that had its own character. It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Since beta the lighting has improved to allow for better player visibility (no more blue team hiding in plain sight), the weapon placements have changed, and overall it plays much better (especially with the higher base speed).

a lot of the problem with that map existed because of the lack of power weapons in key locations, and power ups in general, it could also do with a slight size reduction, regret as well.

I'm curious- with sprint disabled, how would a player "slide" ?

I hope they plan for this, just link it all to thruster if sprint is disabled.

The amount of questions @@Sal1ent is directly answering now is starting to make me warm to H5G a little. He doesn't just say "We're doing this." he says "here's why". Very refreshing.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I love the new art. I need to get off my lazy ass and make a Halo collage featuring all the official cover art...

It'd be cool to have a variant made of aluminum. I'd love to see the special edition cases.

Hey @@Sal1ent, it was never talked about in the Beta Feedback article you posted but are there any changes being made to Breakout? Two of the biggest reasons were there was really no reason to push up and move around more(objective, power up/weapon) and the fact that when you died you can see your teammates PoV from third person which was a huge unfair advantage, encouraging at least someone to die on your team to help you.

Has there been any improvements made?

Thruster + crouch = slide

Thruster + melee = charge

This wouldn't work, as thrusting is nearly instantaneous, you'd have to press them at the same time. It's not like Sprint where you have time (unlimited time in fact) to press the button to slide.

Also, I thought we wanted taking Sprint out to create a domino effect and take other abilities with it?