CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

2. DLC maps are irrelevant in halo, at least outsideof free ones, forge just makes the map pack model reredundant.

I think map "packs" aren't a very accessible way to handle additions, because you need to learn and remember what pack has what maps. The Cold Storage DLC was great; a single download of a good map for free. Other maps packs have been at least 66% shit - with most download maps feeling very uninspired. I mean what map that was DLC is a fan favourite now? There is Sanctuary, and. . . ?

I think there should be less map DLC, only released as singles, and named as their name. And I don't want to be that guy again, but I think they should all be free due to what happened with MCC. Releasing a free map say, quarterly? would be good for maintaining population too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think map "packs" aren't a very accessible way to handle additions, because you need to learn and remember what pack has what maps. The Cold Storage DLC was great; a single download of a good map for free. Other maps packs have been at least 66% shit - with most download maps feeling very uninspired. I mean what map that was DLC is a fan favourite now? There is Sanctuary, and. . . ?

I think there should be less map DLC, only released as singles, and named as their name. And I don't want to be that guy again, but I think they should all be free due to what happened with MCC. Releasing a free map say, quarterly? would be good for maintaining population too.

Make the maps free and sell armour sets and weapons skins instead.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/31ez67/playing_the_halo_5_beta_has_made_me_actually/

And this just goes to show how identical H4 and H5 are. I don't see how you can dislike H4 but like H5.

The problems with 4 were spawning with a boltshot or plasma pistol, the majority of the armour abilities (I say majority because Thruster is still awesome), perks and loadouts in general, personal ordnance, no weapons on map and hence reduced focus on map control etc. Basically the general disregard for basic arena gameplay.

The actual feel of the weapons and movement was very good IMO. I though the guns were some of the best feeling of the serious, they feel like they pack a punch. Legendary BRs is actually a good game of Halo.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/31ez67/playing_the_halo_5_beta_has_made_me_actually/

And this just goes to show how identical H4 and H5 are. I don't see how you can dislike H4 but like H5.

They're similar in the way H2A & H4 are...

Loadouts vs Equal Starts

Random/Personal Ordnance vs Static Weapon Spawns

Shitty easy to use weapons vs harder to use good weapons.

Launch game with 4 small maps vs beta with 6 maps...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They're similar in the way H2A & H4 are...

Loadouts vs Equal Starts

Random/Personal Ordnance vs Static Weapon Spawns

Shitty easy to use weapons vs harder to use good weapons.

Launch game with 4 small maps vs beta with 6 maps...

Halo 5 is still too easy in terms of gunplay, especially the sniper.

You still have sprint, shitty maps, thrust, mantling and all the other stuff that isn't Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 5 is still too easy in terms of gunplay, especially the sniper.

They said they'd be changing that... pros mentioned that as well.

They said they'd be changing that... pros mentioned that as well.

Your taking what 343 says without a grain of salt?

What about H4 appealed to you?

The campaign stuff and the non-competitive sides of multiplayer, such as fun custom games and seeing the crazy forge maps people would make. That's the kind of stuff I was excited for just before H4 released. I think I remember you saying you hated the campaign with a passion? Unless that was someone else. I honestly was fine with it for the most part.

Appealed? Personally I wouldn't go that far. I was interested in Halo 4, except everyone lied through their teeth to convince me the game didn't suck complete ding dong and I never got a chance to even test it before cashing out. Frankie on one side telling me it feels like Halo, pros shouting it's the best shooter they've ever played on the other...

On paper, random/personal ordnance is an illogical clusterfuck (which appeared this way to me, but based on everyone who had played the game, it added to the meta), and custom loadouts are just the absolute worst idea for an arena shooter. There's two sides, either people want an automatic, or a precision weapons. Just give players two weapons, not an entire class and 3-4 weapons per slot + hidden perks and abilities?

I fail to see how that was appealing in the slightest as even on paper, it took a shit on literally everything that makes an arena shooter, an arena shooter. Clever PR just had us thinking otherwise. Halo 5 is light years ahead just for having an arena core, sprint toggle, a Forge that doesn't look like shit and ranks. Shooting doesn't feel like shit either. I don't see what upsets people with this game so much aside from sprint. On the grand scheme of things, it's a mediocre escape tool with how powerful the grenades are, how it delays shield recharge and with thrusters as an offensive tool.

The next best step would be just to further nerf it and not make it unlimited (not that it matters much if people insist of sprinting into me to their death and not shooting back) and it'd be even better. Aside from that though, what's so bad about the game?

As long as maps don't feel boring and have power-ups (and faster power weapons) implemented to them so there's more to move around for, then it'll be an interesting game with a lot of options rather than forcing linear aggression because every push is predictable, and the individual is far too weak. Right now, the maps still don't promote transitioning through various areas enough but this can easily be improved.

Oh god no, I should have clarified. I don't mean the competitive multiplayer appealed to me. Not even a little lol. I mean I was still feeling excitement for the next Halo game at that point, whereas that feeling isn't there this time around.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 is the first Halo game that will be better than its predecessor. #Beli343 :weback:

Not entirely sure about this.

You see, while Halo 5 has equal starts, no ordnance and no random AA's, it also has unlimited sprint (like sprint alone wasn't enough), uninteresting maps, OP automatics, clamber, GP, ADS + ADS delay and other gimmicks that 4 didn't have.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The campaign stuff and the non-competitive sides of multiplayer, such as fun custom games and seeing the crazy forge maps people would make. That's the kind of stuff I was excited for just before H4 released. I think I remember you saying you hated the campaign with a passion? Unless that was someone else. I honestly was fine with it for the most part.

I feel you, I too got hyped for H4's SP, but unlike many others I was severely disappointed, I mean I knew it's SP was going to suck (it wasn't just a barn video, the gameplay vids were extensive) but I had hope it's SP would be decent, with H5 I'll be sure and look at it's SP more closely.

Halo 5 is the first Halo game that will be better than its predecessor. #Beli343 :weback:

Improving on a steaming pile of shit does not warrant an award of any kind.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Quick question: Is the csr icons/emblems in the beta the final versions? As in, will they be keeping them.

It might not be set in stone but I found them to be quite bland looking. I hope in the final version they have some pretty good looking ones.

Because agreeing to disagree is sometimes better than trying to force something onto someone?

I'm sure if you search for lockout jumptactics you'll see what I'm talking about. Sure, there are two barrels on lockout that they jump off of.

It looks like he didn't clamber in his jump, and I might be wrong about that. You might find this completely ridiculous, but I find it more skill inducing if the jumps we had in the game were a result of doing the ground pound boost, and didn't require clamber. It's not that he failed at the jump, it's that it is a pure vertical jump and he wasn't sliding up into some ledge.

I'm just stating my opinion and providing my reasons for said opinion, I don't think that's forcing anything on anyone. 

And no he did clamber in that video. And all the jump's I'm talking about are also vertical except for the couple where they extend a leap horizontally with either ground pound or stabilizers:

Also  notice how in none of these do I actually enter into the animation, this is because if you hit it just right you just get boosted up with out ever lowering your gun. This is also possible to do on any clamber I'm pretty sure, so I think that's another skill that can be used to separate the good from the bad.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

You see, while Halo 5 has equal starts, no ordnance and no random AA's, it also has unlimited sprint (like sprint alone wasn't enough), uninteresting maps, OP automatics, clamber, GP, ADS + ADS delay and other gimmicks that 4 didn't have.

unlimited sprint isn't actually a bad thing when the maps are scaled for it, but it's still sprint nonetheless, and ground pound actually does benefit the game in more ways than one.

Unlimited sprint was possible in H4, #Loadouts. From what we've seen of H5G so far, the maps are definitely a step up, and will only improve at launch. They've confirmed that automatics will be nerfed slightly, as the headshot bonus will go down, and spread will increase while in SS. Clamber isn't that big a deal, and combined with GP you can do some pretty neat tricks (as Mace showed). They've said they'll be optimizing smart scope, so it won't be AS bad.

Halo 5 definitely has its problems, but at least it feels FAIR. That was the biggest turnoff of Halo 4, and ruined competition (for anybody).

Quick question: Is the csr icons/emblems in the beta the final versions? As in, will they be keeping them.

It might not be set in stone but I found them to be quite bland looking. I hope in the final version they have some pretty good looking ones.

Nope. They're going to be changed in the final game.

I'm just stating my opinion and providing my reasons for said opinion, I don't think that's forcing anything on anyone. 

And no he did clamber in that video. And all the jump's I'm talking about are also vertical except for the couple where they extend a leap horizontally with either ground pound or stabilizers:

Also  notice how in none of these do I actually enter into the animation, this is because if you hit it just right you just get boosted up with out ever lowering your gun. This is also possible to do on any clamber I'm pretty sure, so I think that's another skill that can be used to separate the good from the bad.  

I wouldn't be surprised if 343 removed that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I absolutely expect this to be gone at launch. Glitches are a no no, am I rights guyz?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Fuck No

Halo 4 > Reach by far

(other than v7)

While as frustrating as bloom and Armor Lock was, pre TU Reach had a lot more replay value and variety than Halo 4 ever did.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Me neither.

I absolutely expect this to be gone at launch. Glitches are a no no, am I rights guyz?

Well, Ghostayame and I'm assuming the rest of the pro's were all doing it before the beta so 343 had to already have been aware of it before it became public. 

Fuck No

Halo 4 > Reach by far

(other than v7)

You're serious? Every issue in Halo Reach was also in 4 (except for bloom) + No descope, permanent sprint,  worse armor abilities IMO, random ordnance, instant respawn, no red X, worse maps, personal ordance (the worst thing to ever exist in Halo), personal loadouts and it was an uglier game. 

Fuck No

Halo 4 > Reach by far

(other than v7)

LOL.

Halo 4 is unanimously seen as the worst Halo game, period. Default Reach is terrible, but Halo 4 is atrocious.

If there's one thing this community can unite on, it's that Halo 4 was an abomination.

LOL.

Halo 4 is unanimously seen as the worst Halo game, period. Default Reach is terrible, but Halo 4 is atrocious.

If there's one thing this community can unite on, it's that Halo 4 was an abomination.

But hey, better strafe acceleration and jump height :P Albeit both are still horrible in H4 relative to the other halo titles.