CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The ONLY thing I HATE about "Smart scope" is the delay. I can't even describe the amount of fresh feels I got when I went back to H2A. Everything felt instant. Mostly the weapon switching and zooming. Other than that, Its nothing new besides looks. Ok, the AR can now zoom in. OMG we all seem to care about the AR all of a sudden?! C'mon, don't we all prefer the BR/DMR in these forums?

Am i the only who also hates how it takes up space on the screen? It's something i despise in CoD, getting killed from somebody below you because you cant see them. I'm really pissed some more CoD bullshit is creeping into Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If this system was present on past Halo's, it sure wasn't present on AR/SMGS. Now it is, and the game just got significantly easier for low skilled players. I don't care who at 343 says what about Halo 5. They said MCC would launch with ranks over 130 days ago.

You say this like the skill gap was tiny in the game, that is just completely untrue.

I was playing games where my team would win 50-5 and I would go +20. The next game I'd lose 50-20. New players were getting absolutely destroyed in the beta. The skill gap was obviously large.

Does adding scope to the automatics make it easier for casual players? Marginally, yes. However a competent BR player would still beat an AR player 9 times out of ten at mid range. Unless the AR player completely got the drop on them. It really didn't make it that much easier for casual players.

What it did do was make the AR a somewhat useful weapon. It would be a weapon you would actually pick and use. Personally I thought this was fantastic, it meant that the BR was no longer the only weapon you're use in almost every single situation. Almost every weapon in the beta was useful in a certain situation, this is a good thing. Smart scope made the AR capable at mid range without making it OP at close.

That's ignoring the fact that they're addressing the headshot bonus and increasing the spread when zoomed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You say this like the skill gap was tiny in the game, that is just completely untrue.

I was playing games where my team would win 50-5 and I would go +20. The next game I'd lose 50-20. New players were getting absolutely destroyed in the beta. The skill gap was obviously large.

Does adding scope to the automatics make it easier for casual players? Marginally, yes. However a competent BR player would still beat an AR player 9 times out of ten at mid range. Unless the AR player completely got the drop on them. It really didn't make it that much easier for casual players.

What it did do was make the AR a somewhat useful weapon. It would be a weapon you would actually pick and use. Personally I thought this was fantastic, it meant that the BR was no longer the only weapon you're use in almost every single situation. Almost every weapon in the beta was useful in a certain situation, this is a good thing. Smart scope made the AR capable at mid range without making it OP at close.

That's ignoring the fact that they're addressing the headshot bonus and increasing the spread when zoomed.

The skill gap was pathetic.

By your terribad logic, Reach had a huge skill gap because I was beating kids 50-0...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The skill gap was pathetic.

By your terribad logic, Reach had a huge skill gap because I was beating kids 50-0...

Your argument would make a lot more sense if you explained how the skillgap was pathetic instead of berating people on the forums

• Upvote (+1) 5

You weren't beating guys 50-5 because the game had such a large skillgap. You were doing that because the matchmaking skill system was disfunctional.

When I played in a a to4 I don't think the other team broke the 30 kill mark more than maybe 5% of the games we played. This is because it kept matching us against terrible players.

When I searched solo I had to try my heart out just to win more than I lost. This is not because I suddenly became a bad player and has nothing to with skill gap.I do think there is still a skill gap left in Halo 5. But you cannot tell this from just looking at the scoreboard. Shitty skill matching simply lead to lopsided matches making it seem so.

• Upvote (+1) 7

You weren't beating guys 50-5 because the game had such a large skillgap. You were doing that because the matchmaking skill system was disfunctional.

When I played in a a to4 I don't think the other team broke the 30 kill mark more maybe 5% of the games we played. This is because it kept matching us against terrible players.

When I searched solo I had to try my heart out just to win more than I lost. This is not because I suddenly became a bad player and has nothing to with skill gap.I do think there is still a skill gap left in Halo 5. But you cannot tell this from just looking at the scoreboard. Shitty skill matching simply lead to lopsided matches making it seem so.

The scoreboard point was just an anecdote. I was just trying to show there was a massive range of skill levels. Obviously I should have been matched with these people, but it still shows a big difference in skill is possible. The skill gap was clearly pretty high though. The reduced aim assist alone increased it.

When I played in a a to4 I don't think the other team broke the 30 kill mark more maybe 5% of the games we played. This is because it kept matching us against terrible players.

+1

If we're talking about skill here, you need to elaborate on where it's coming from.

H5 has another factor of skill involved besides the shooting and the positioning: the movement. Thrust, Clamber, Slide, Charge, and Pound are a whole different set of things you have to be aware of, regardless of a sprinting or non-sprinting Spartan. Unlike the previous iterations of the "third leg of fun," these things are much more predictable. A good player can figure out what the enemy is doing and make an out-maneuver along with out-shooting the opponent. Skill in guns and better positioning is still there; it's the added movement options that seem to make people nervous an/or upset that it is different from what the first trilogy offered.

That "third leg" didn't work for Reach and 4 because you could only pick one selection. You had to do guess work with what the enemy had, and try to hide your own trick until the right moment. In Guardians, everyone is equal again. Everyone can do the same thing. But the greater players will know how to do it better, and stomp the competition.

Halo 5 is the first game to have a larger skill gap than its predecessor. It's not the one we were expecting, but it certainly is there. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

If we're talking about skill here, you need to elaborate on where it's coming from.

H5 has another factor of skill involved besides the shooting and the positioning: the movement. Thrust, Clamber, Slide, Charge, and Pound are a whole different set of things you have to be aware of, regardless of a sprinting or non-sprinting Spartan. Unlike the previous iterations of the "third leg of fun," these things are much more predictable. A good player can figure out what the enemy is doing and make an out-maneuver along with out-shooting the opponent. Skill in guns and better positioning is still there; it's the added movement options that seem to make people nervous an/or upset that it is different from what the first trilogy offered.

That "third leg" didn't work for Reach and 4 because you could only pick one selection. You had to do guess work with what the enemy had, and try to hide your own trick until the right moment. In Guardians, everyone is equal again. Everyone can do the same thing. But the greater players will know how to do it better, and stomp the competition.

Halo 5 is the first game to have a larger skill gap than its predecessor. It's not the one we were expecting, but it certainly is there. 

You said it far more eloquently than I have the time to do... +1

The ONLY thing I HATE about "Smart scope" is the delay. I can't even describe the amount of fresh feels I got when I went back to H2A. Everything felt instant. Mostly the weapon switching and zooming. Other than that, Its nothing new besides looks. Ok, the AR can now zoom in. OMG we all seem to care about the AR all of a sudden?! C'mon, don't we all prefer the BR/DMR in these forums?

What kind of logic is this? The AR being able to zoom has nothing to do with what we prefer as our fav. go-to weapon, it's the fact that the gun becomes more accurate with the zoom feature.....it's stupid. It's a cqc weapon that became a mid-range gun that could compete with rifles during the beta, that is why we have issued with it.

When I played in a a to4 I don't think the other team broke the 30 kill mark more than maybe 5% of the games we played. This is because it kept matching us against terrible players.

Facts. 90% of the games in the beta were against terrible players because the rank system wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. All this talk about "the game has a high skill gap" means nothing till the ranks actually work properly and people start beating players with a similar or higher rank 50-5....till then enjo the fact that you were beating up on noobs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just really hope there's an option to switch to classic scope. 

Sometimes I think people only like Halo 5 because it's better than the two absolute worst versions of Halo. Is this already enough?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Considering Quinn and other 343 Devs have stated specifically that they want a high skill ceiling in this game, along with the extreme stress they are putting on Halo 5's competitive viability for eSports, I don't see this at all.

Quinn even has said that the game is rough on noobs.

There are a lot of things said like this. None of that matters. Only the results of their work actually matter. So many Halo releases (all of them) have hyped up aspects and features that just don't work or aren't delivered upon whatsoever. Not to say they're lying but, well, their word means literally nothing after previous releases. Hopefully they pull through with what they're saying but every release is just another dude from 343 or previously bungie posted up sweet talking all the competitive guys at some point before the hype train is totally derailed and everyone hates the game because its nothing that it was hyped to be. Personally I think everyone on both sides should probably wait to see what happens before calling it either way but if someone were to make a guess based on the precedent they've set with Halo then these forums will be little more than a dumpster fire a month after release and the game will be worse than the previous Halo games for innumerable reasons.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sometimes I think people only like Halo 5 because it's better than the two absolute worst versions of Halo. Is this already enough?

I like Halo 5 because the beta was probably the most fun I've had in any competitive Halo multiplayer; not just because it is better than 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

The old scope system fit Halo like a glove and was unique to the series. If the new system retains the responsive feel of past games, and doesn't turn fights into "who can re-zoom first" contests like I was seeing cross map on Truth, I'll be fine with it.

Yeah because that totally never happened on Midship /s

https://youtu.be/gKJXx17Df3g?t=5065 

1:24:25

Personally, I hate the "It's not Halo" argument. It's a pathetic excuse to defend your nostalgia. If a feature works in the game (and/or doesn't affect and damage it), it is fine.

I responded to you a few days ago when you wanted to know why some consider smartscope to be bad, but you never said anything. Not sure why you want so badly to pin it on nostalgia when perfectly good reasons have been given.

But even I can admit that responses like this, full of ad hominems and without any real substance, is bad. Like, even making a general blanket statement would be better.

I understand as much as anyone that, after years and years of arguing and talking about how the franchise has degenerated and pointing out reasons as to why, it gets annoying when you have to repeat yourself for the hundred thousandth time, but I don't believe that permits a breakdown of communication like this. And, yeah, it's frustrating. I've mostly avoided getting into far too deep in argument anymore (as it relates to gameplay. I'll happily tell anyone that Halo 4's story was bad and why) over the last few years (partially because of more important shit) because I'm tired of pointing out the same shit over and over again. But making a bad name for yourself and your position doesn't really help matters.

I knew that my response was questionable and really didn't bring much to the table but it was 5 am where I live and I was too tired to list up the stuff that is wrong with Halo 5 since we have been discussing these things over and over again.

First off, don't try to categorize me or target me as any of those things in specific. Because I can, and will, list off a ton of things that I believe are absolutely UNACCEPTABLE about Halo 5, but I am not someone who will make excuses or defend repulsive additions. I asked you to try and defend your points as I did mine (in the post below yours), but instead you decided to blanket statement your argument and attempt to label me as a person instead.

As for buying the game, I'd do it for the Campaign but I wouldn't dare touch a (core) Halo game's multiplayer with killstreaks, custom loadouts, or perks ever again.  :halo:

So, once again, I invite you to discuss what you think is wrong with the game (Smart Scope).

Yeah you asked me to do that but I was too tired as I said. Most of the stuff we could talk about would still be opinion so I don't think going to deep into the details of spartan abilities (for example) will just end in a "you like it I don't" situation.

Don't just assume when someone says something positive about halo 5 that its ecause they're stupid or because they aren't compassionate, I can't speak for others but I can tell you that I think far less of recent titles (reach, 4, 5) and even of the entire series then most people here do. For example I would consider armor customization a useless aspect of halo, the reason being that everyone is either red or blue, I would much rather we have a customizable scope than customizable armor but apparently I'm wrong and your right, because CE.

I never said that only an exact CE clone could be a good Halo game but the thing is on this forum most people agree (even the people I am arguing with lol) that some stuff is just bad for the Halo series (sprint is a simple example). I just don't get the point of supporting 343 anymore when we told them that sprint is bad and game breaking for 5 years now and they still don't get it.

To be honest it is even worse: They say that a big poll on BE/Waypoint/reddit is a self selection bia but their own shitty 11% result means the world.

There is this one point where you just can't take it anymore. Devs coming to this forum and trying to convince people that their stuff is good after lying to us several times. They are ignoring the feedback and didn't change much after their Beta.

I remember that people like Saucy and Cyren said they are going to tell their honest opinion and I remember that Saucy had a clear statement in that episode of bomb planted. The fact that it just takes something like "you can toggle of sprint in customs" to get them hyped again just blows my mind at some point.

I for my part just can't accept the stuff they do anymore. They said they want a competitive game we gave them feedback they ignored us. That's it I am done with 343.

No, it's not. The game should still be recognizable as Halo at its core (this applies to every franchise). Otherwise you could just turn the game into Quake, Stacraft or Chess and say "Don't worry, it's still competitive".

I had almost the same argument bringing up Quake when people said: "even if it doesn't feel like Halo it is still competitive"

It's not enough for me to add ranks and spectator mode when the game itself is trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Your argument would make a lot more sense if you explained how the skillgap was pathetic instead of berating people on the forums

Welcome to the olden days of Bungie.net

it's a step in the right direction at the very least.

Sometimes I think only people hate Halo 5 because of nostalgia