CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It did put you in red-reticle range, which meant more auto-aim and magnetism. I also could've sworn in Halo 3 that scoping tightned your spread slightly.

Neither here nor there though, I still think bullet spread should be independant of scope state (or preferably, non-existent on the all the rifles).

it extended rrr, but it never effected spread or magnetism, especially in halo 3, where spread was random in both cases, h3 probably would've benefited from having accuracy bonuses for scoping imo.

Yeah I wish you could choose classic or smart link as a toggle, that would keep everyone happy. 

The same with assassinations.

It's like you guys don't even care about immersion.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You're right. Nothing gets me more immersed than switching to 3rd person to stab somebody.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Naah, I doubt there are people who don't care about immersion in multiplayer.

Yeah I wish you could choose classic or smart link as a toggle, that would keep everyone happy. 

Well... tbh... For me, I care more about the mechanic. I think its not a great idea having a scope in all the weapons. I honestly don't understand the idea of having smart link on a Shotgun or on a Sword. Not mentioning, the sword lunge with zoom is kind of ridiculous haha.

Just got a new job for this summer so no donation needed :D. Its only for Xbox 360 right? I'll have to transfer my xbox 360 from my living room to my room. Just give me a heads up and I'll be happy to join you!

And yes I do use my mouse and keyboard on console with my XIM4. ;)

YES! That would be amazing! It's only for 360, correct, and we pretty much play every night. Would you be down tonight? Also, what's the GT?

Am I the only one who doesn't mind ADS as long as it's mapped to my right stick? I never had a problem with it during the beta. I was really against it before the beta, sure, but I was surprised how much it didn't bother me in the end. Never had problems with obstruction or calling out. Just a preference thing I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The ADS needs to be faster, that was my only really big problem with it. Didn't like the fact that there was a healthy delay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Am I the only one who doesn't mind ADS as long as it's mapped to my right stick? I never had a problem with it during the beta. I was really against it before the beta, sure, but I was surprised how much it didn't bother me in the end. Never had problems with obstruction or calling out. Just a preference thing I guess.

If it was instant I wouldn't mind at all. 

To be fair, I agreed with a lot of the back and forth you guys were having on this topic but I wanted to comment on one thing you posted back Mace. Some of the items you posted in the Halo 5 and Halo 3 section are not exactly "issues" but more of a preference, some of which are just extraneous and the extra bullet points made it sound worse than what it was.

If we're comparing what we know Halo 5 will launch like to Halo 3  at launch then yes I agree. I don't think my issues with Halo 5 thus far:

• Sprint
  • Power weapons spawn too slowly
  • Non-traditional art 
    I'm actually pretty satisfied with the artwork, it's not horrible because it's non traditional, but I at least see your point with this.
  • Non-traditional sound

Are worse than my issues with launch Halo 3:

• Equipment in general
  • Specifically the radar hammer and flare
    Why is this an extra bullet point? Just fluff.
  • Slow base movement speed 
    Wholeheartedly agree.
  • Multiple useless, under-powered weapons (Pistol, AR, PR, Spiker, Sentinel Beam, SMG)
    Beg to differ on the assault rifle, and oddly enough Dual Spikers lol... I had a 50 in every playlist, do you know how many kids I RIP with Dual Spikers? That was the same in Halo 2 though with the SMG, it was useless unless you had two and you had to be close.
  • Half a dozen Maulers on the map at one time 
  • Maps with bad spawning 
  • Air-soft Rifle BR
    Lol, come on. This is not a valid point. Just more fluff.
  • Weak Powerups
    Eh... Camo was fine. I assume you mean overshield in which case I could hella make a case for that and that's the 20 second (exaggeration) buffer time from when you can pick it up and when you actually start losing shields. It's actually pretty ridiculous.
  • Smaller individual skill gap
  • BR Spread
  • Hit detection
    The hit detection was only really bad on terrible hosts. On LAN it was fine 99.9% of the time.
  • Some of the worst maps in Halo history (Snowbound, Isolation, Epitaph)
    Definitely needed to state I wholeheartedly agree because I almost chewed my foot off playing high level Epitaph against some of the biggest tryhards on earth. Kids who just camp doors with Gravity Hammers, bubble shields, and camo maulers. My god.. However a lot of the maps were actually really good out of the box, the spawns were just stupid.

I love both games but what we've played of Halo 5 so far > Launch Halo 3. 

I won't say definitively that Halo 3 was better, but I think the longevity of Halo 3 could quite possibly be better than Halo 5. I'll be honest and say I got extremely bored with the gameplay of Halo 5 after the first day. I reached Pro rank the first day and never lost it throughout the Beta and of all the gametypes I've played, and maybe this is the nostalgia talking, since the core Halo gameplay has diminished I honestly feel like the lines have been blurred between current FPS's and it's just not interesting enough to keep playing.

Halo 3 had some terrible maps at launch but they got fixed with a few tweaks. The overall layout of every map in my opinion is just awful on Halo 5. I've hated these sprint designed maps ever since Halo: Reach and honestly the only two (default) maps I actually enjoyed from Reach -> 5 was Zealot and Haven. That's it. I think those are the only two maps that actually have a good flow to them; with and without sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Comparing the games at launch is very specific criteria that doesn't do the overall 'competitiveness' of the game any justice. It simply doesn't make sense to ignore how the game actually developed from a competitive standpoint, irregardless of the fact that H5 hasn't been released and allowed the same time to mature. From what we've seen and experienced thus far, forget speculation, forget promises it doesn't even come close to matching H3.

@@-DeucEy-

Some of the items you posted in the Halo 5 and Halo 3 section are not exactly "issues" but more of a preference, some of which are just extraneous and the extra bullet points made it sound worse than what it was.

Well I did word it as "my issues". I can see why people could like some of these things but I didn't.

Why is this an extra bullet point? Just fluff.

I could've made every individual piece of equipment a bullet point couldn't I? They were all either annoying or under-powered IMO except for the man-cannon.

Beg to differ on the assault rifle, and oddly enough Dual Spikers lol... I had a 50 in every playlist, do you know how many kids I RIP with Dual Spikers? That was the same in Halo 2 though with the SMG, it was useless unless you had two and you had to be close.

Was there ever any situation you'd honestly want an AR or dual Spikers over a BR? 

Lol, come on. This is not a valid point. Just more fluff.

How so? The BR was extremely weak, the kill time is slower than it's ever been in any game (except for the 5-shot Halo 4 BR) and the range is way way shorter than any other game. There's a reason damage was buffed to 110% in MLG settings. 

Hire me 343

39kHEFe.jpg

Get rid of the top part. If we have have the AR and Magnum project holographic reticles, so can the BR's red dot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@-DeucEy-

Well I did word it as "my issues". I can see why people could like some of these things but I didn't.

Right, and I understood that. I also noted that I saw where you were coming from with this. I was just pointing out that that's not really an "issue" per se rather than a preference of something. For instance, I think country music is ass. That's not an issue though because it literally doesn't affect anything but my current mood/perception. Something like BR registration, a completely different story.

I could've made every individual piece of equipment a bullet point couldn't I? They were all either annoying or under-powered IMO except for the man-cannon.

Physically yes, you could lol. That notation was only due to the fact that you could've added a semi-colon at the end of the first bullet saying specifically "[...]; specifically Radar Jammer and Flare." It didn't need it's own bullet point because it was really more of anecdote than an actual point.

Was there ever any situation you'd honestly want an AR or dual Spikers over a BR? 

always wanted a BR, however if you've played anybody above a level 45 in TS/Doubles for example (especially 50s for god sakes) you can bet your ass they were sitting around a corner with an Assault Rifle in their hands because it kills faster than the BR at that range and kids with competence do not miss. You're damn right I used it because I'm not about to lose to some randoms because they want to spam ARs at me when they get close. You can't tell me kids didn't do this in Halo 3 because people did that crap all day. Playing 50s in MLG, obviously this isn't an issue lol. And yes, go back on Halo 3 and try using Dual Spikers for one round. I bet once you figure out how to use and move with them you'll notice they're actually pretty damn godlike lol; legit. Obviously the BR is the only weapon I WANT to use and I used it 99% of the time. That wasn't my point. My point was that some of the weapons you listed weren't completely useless. Some of them, like Sentinel beam, were complete trash and I agree.

How so? The BR was extremely weak, the kill time is slower than it's ever been in any game (except for the 5-shot Halo 4 BR) and the range is way way shorter than any other game. There's a reason damage was buffed to 110% in MLG settings. 

I'm also not denying that, however, what you just stated here, is a valid point. "Air-Soft Rifle BR" however makes no sense at all. The choice of words is why I pointed that out because I was mainly talking about fluff in your post. To be honest, I actually assumed you were referring to the BR spread which was three points down from that bullet point and I'm not denying that either. Hated that crap.

I'm excited for H5. I desperately need something to play with friends again that won't take too much of my time away from studies. I believe 343 is gearing up to make a good game. Maybe to some of you it might not be a good HALO game, but that's completely subjective to each and every single member on this board. 

I don't think taking Halo too seriously is worth it anymore. Throw a LAN with your mates, have a few drinks and frag the shit out of each other.

To the young guys wanting to break into competitive multiplayer... Look to PC. That's my two cents.

@ Hi friend.  B)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm excited for H5. I desperately need something to play with friends again that won't take too much of my time away from studies. I believe 343 is gearing up to make a good game. Maybe to some of you it might not be a good HALO game, but that's completely subjective to each and every single member on this board. 

I don't think taking Halo too seriously is worth it anymore. Throw a LAN with your mates, have a few drinks and frag the shit out of each other.

To the young guys wanting to break into competitive multiplayer... Look to PC. That's my two cents.

@ Hi friend.  B)

You bastard are going to make me buy Halo 5. I miss our good old times </3

I NEED SOME PILLS, WHERE IS @@pharmassists THE FEELINGS ARE KILLING ME.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right, and I understood that. I also noted that I saw where you were coming from with this. I was just pointing out that that's not really an "issue" per se rather than a preference of something. For instance, I think country music is ass. That's not an issue though because it literally doesn't affect anything but my current mood/perception. Something like BR registration, a completely different story.

These are all issues to me and those sway my opinion on which game is better.

And yes, go back on Halo 3 and try using Dual Spikers for one round. I bet once you figure out how to use and move with them you'll notice they're actually pretty damn godlike lol; legit. 

Haha I guess I'll have to try some time. 

Obviously the BR is the only weapon I WANT to use and I used it 99% of the time

One weapon being used 99% of the time is a bad thing IMO. In Halo CE this wasn't as much of an issue to me because power weapons spawned so frequently that you'd have one far more often than in any other game. I like that in Halo 5 every single primary weapon in the game could contend with any other primary weapon in the game on a consistent basis, if you were in it's intended range. In Halo 3, sure a Dual Needler guy might kill you twice a game, but 90% you'll win if you have a BR. 

These are all issues to me and those sway my opinion on which game is better.

Haha I guess I'll have to try some time. 

One weapon being used 99% of the time is a bad thing IMO. In Halo CE this wasn't as much of an issue to me because power weapons spawned so frequently that you'd have one far more often than in any other game. I like that in Halo 5 every single primary weapon in the game could contend with any other primary weapon in the game on a consistent basis, if you were in it's intended range. In Halo 3, sure a Dual Needler guy might kill you twice a game, but 90% you'll win if you have a BR. 

Well I meant outside of power weapons lol; I obviously use sniper and rockets and stuff if I have a chance. For instance compared to the Assault Rifle you spawn with in CE, about how much do you use the AR? Myself, I pretty much use the pistol damn near 99% because the only time I ever use the AR is if I'm in a complete end all be all situation where I need to shoot someone and no ammo. Oh and quick camo. That's it.

I think the AR could be toned down a tad in H5 because it was ridiculously OP from medium distances to the point where it didn't make much sense. A player like me, yes, I win those fights majority of the time using a BR/DMR but I'm also not blind enough to see something that could use some tuning. 

In Halo 3, you can't dual-wield needlers. Point invalid.  :kappa:

I know what you meant, but AR close range against a BR won most of the battles in H3. Not the other way around. And it makes sense. I hate the assault rifle, but it shouldn't lose consistently against a BR at close range at all. And that's why it never did. If you ever played anyone good in the Team Slayer playlist for example you know what I'm talking about because most of those randoms pulled that damn gun out every time they get near you. And it was for a reason.

tumblr_ngsvmd0Coz1t0eee6o1_500.jpg

Variations on the above wouldn't be too bad, either.  But classic zoom = best.

I have always wondered about this picture. How is anyone --be it Spartan, Covenant, or Forerunner-- suppose to figure out how to aim the lightrifle?