CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What does this mean for LAN? Can we get a clear response on that?

I don't think we'll want LAN in tourney's ,

the only way spectators mode work is by connecting to a dedi.....

Unless I'm missing something here...

Wrong dude, this IGN article talks about a certain aKREEZ not aKREZZ.

375b84c2f7c7c5468c90104e70fa1faf.png

I cant wait to see if this pans out as fact or fiction.

I take this news with a grain of salt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it really necessary to have hitmarkers inside of hitmarkers inside of hitmarkers to go along with an annoying beeping sound whenever you hit someone? Are they getting rid of that? The whole point of shields lighting up is to show you if you're hitting someone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo-5-November1.png

This is a picture of The Sprint trailer, from December 2014. Looks like Halo 5: Guardians will be releasing in November and competing with Treyarch's Call of Duty... again.

Yeah, we ALL missed this. Thanks to the dude on r/halo for finding it.

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-release-month-discovered/

Launch dates have been known to change.  November is not Q3, and the most recent info was Q3.  Perhaps they were able to move it up.

I hope so - I'd rather it not compete with CoD right out of the gate.  August seems like a nice time for it (IMO).

Launch dates have been known to change.  November is not Q3, and the most recent info was Q3.  Perhaps they were able to move it up.

I hope so - I'd rather it not compete with CoD right out of the gate.  August seems like a nice time for it (IMO).

Where did you get Q3 from? All we know if Fall 2015.

This is a picture of The Sprint trailer, from December 2014. Looks like Halo 5: Guardians will be releasing in November and competing with Treyarch's Call of Duty... again.

Yeah, we ALL missed this. Thanks to the dude on r/halo for finding it.

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-release-month-discovered/

Halo Follower-tier speculation. There are a lot of factors that could have gone into them putting November at the end of the video.

I seriously doubt it's some hidden easter egg telling us the release date of a game that what would be a year away.

Abilities have been confirmed to be toggles in custom games.

Unless I've missed something, the blog post detailed that only sprint will be toggleable .

I don't think we'll want LAN in tourney's ,

the only way spectators mode work is by connecting to a dedi.....

Unless I'm missing something here...

Connection to the game through LAN.

Connection to Xbox Live through Internet (obviously).

Game plays on LAN connection while spectate goes through online. It's the way almost any game with LAN + Spectate should work.

Connection to the game through LAN.

Connection to Xbox Live through Internet (obviously).

Game plays on LAN connection while spectate goes through online. It's the way almost any game with LAN + Spectate should work.

Yes that's how it "should" work,

but the way they implemented spectator is that each game on dedis is recorded, and when you spectate you're just watching what they have on the MS azure servers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-spectator-mode-included-in-beta-but-it-won-/1100-6424219/

"Spectator mode is huge," Holmes said. "Basically, what you'll be able to do in the beta is--any of your friends that are online, you can go and spectate on their games."

There will be a delay in video feeds as a means to weed out cheating, Holmes explained.

"You can then go and look at that game and you can view it from multiple different perspectives," he said. "It's essentially liked a saved film that's running off of the dedicated server."

------------------------

Unless they made spectator LAN+spectate user.. then..different story :P

If this also applies to clamber, I might really consider buying this game.

probably does, I hope there is bare bones playlist, and one just without sprint, honestly I like everything else in the game to a certain degree other than ads.

@ Sal1ent

I would like if a more flexible playlist search were implemented in H5.  The primary downsides for the current and past playlists (in my opinion) are:

1. The matching pool is restricted to individual playlists, reducing the number of matching opportunities.

2. To keep matching pools large enough, playlists must contain multiple gametypes that may not appeal to all players searching in the list.

3. Multiple gametypes within a list are the reason behind the suboptimal voting method in H4 and MCC, and contributes to pre-game quits if the desired map/gametype combination is not selected.

4. The above contributes to either uneven teams, restart of the search and matching process, or the need for JIP.

5. Gametypes that are not popular enough to sustain their own lists are either eliminated or made rotational, which limits the opportunities for those who wish to play them.

6. Tying up players in partial lobbies both extends search times and reduces the quality of matching.

I think there is a way to reduce all of the above concerns. Right now, gametypes are organized into rigid "playlists".  Skill matching and ranks are playlist characteristics.  I suggest decoupling skill matching and ranking from the playlists.  Track each group of similar gametypes separately with respect to skill matching and ranking, and use the "playlists" as a standard, built-in matchmaking search that is independent of skill and ranks.  This would give you the flexibility to allow players customize their matchmaking search in whatever way they want.  It would also give you the flexibility to reorganize playlists however you want without affecting ranks or search times.

I am going to use the MCC deliberately as an example, to demonstrate that the suggestion can be implemented in a non-intimidating way even for a game as complex as the MCC.  Imagine if players were able to load up matchmaking and see the following:

Link

RzzwpEh.gif

If a player just wants something that looks like the current standard lists, he is free to select that.  If he wants more customization, he can go into the more detailed customization screens.

Since everyone has an opportunity to search only for the gametypes they want to play, lobbies can be locked immediately upon formation. There is no longer any need to allow people to quit a lobby. Moreover, there is no longer any need for people to vote on gametype. The gametype can be system selected upon lobby formation since only people that searched for that gametype will be included in the lobby. Once in the lobby, the only "vote" required can either be FOR a map choice or VETOING a proposed map (after which the system automatically selects an alternate map).

In terms of skill ranking / matching, this can be done by grouping. For example, the skill estimate for group "CTF" could include performance in gametypes CE 1-Flag, CE Multiflag, H2 1-Flag, etc. The "CTF" group would be used for the skill portion of the matching for each of those gametypes. The benefit of decoupling skill from the playlist is that playlists can be freely altered without affecting anyone's skill estimate or rank.

Since most players will search multiple gametypes at once, the effective matching pool for all gametypes increases. Right now, 4v4 Slayer, FFA, SWAT, Snipers, and Big Team Slayer all have separate matching pools. A player cannot appear in more than one pool. However, many players (like me) would search all of those lists simultaneously if given the option to do so. That greatly increases the number of players for matching for all gametypes.

Take H4 as an example. When Legendary Slayer was implemented, I could only search in either Team Slayer or Legendary. Because Legendary was less popular, the matches were less even and, hence, less fun. So in H4 we had (example):

Team Slayer: 4,500 player pool
Legendary: 800 player pool

However, many of those Team Slayer players might have wanted to play Legendary, but were avoiding it because of the matching difficulty. Let's just suppose that a mere 15% of the Team Slayer searchers fit into that category. Let's also assume that 25% of the Legendary players would likewise have been happy with a Team Slayer match. With the method described here, the effective pools become:

Team Slayer: 4,900 player pool
Legendary: 1,475 player pool

Unlike the traditional playlist method - which ties both skill and matching pools to the playlist content - this method (a.) searches by gametype, ( b.) calculates / matches skill by group (i.e., "CTF"), and (c.) utilizes playlists only to provide pre-set search parameters.

Matching like this would yield the following benefits:

1. Players would always get the gametype they want.

2. The need to restrict gametypes or relegate them to rotational playlists disappears.

3. The effective matching pool increases for ALL playlists, leading to faster and more even matches.

4. Lobbies can be locked, reducing lobby quits and the need for restarting searches or JIP.

5. Even players searching for games with miniscule populations can eventually find a game without diluting the player pools from other playlists.*

6. Altering, reorganizing, and regrouping games in playlists has no impact on search pools or skill / rank.

*See the following spoiler for how this is possible:

When performing matching, an Xbox Live server pools all players by gametype (with "CE One-Flag" and "CE Multi-Flag" being treated as separate gametypes, for example). Per the image above, players can be present in multiple pools. Then the following process is repeated:

1. The best possible match is calculated for the player that has been searching for the longest time across all gametypes based on whatever factors 343i wants to use for weighting (which will most likely vary based on search time).

2. If no good match can be found, the system moves to the next oldest player.

3. If the search time for the oldest player is sufficiently long, that player can begin "reserving" other players that meet match criteria (but not otherwise).

4. Once a good match is found, connect those players' consoles and place them in a lobby.

5. Return to step 1.

The reason for matching as described is to prevent partial lobbies. Any time a partial lobby forms, players are removed from the matching pool for all other lobbies. This extends search times for everyone. If the first-in, first-out method is used (with reasonable exceptions), the only players that are stuck in lobbies are ones in full lobbies.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes that's how it "should" work,

but the way they implemented spectator is that each game on dedis is recorded, and when you spectate you're just watching what they have on the MS azure servers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-spectator-mode-included-in-beta-but-it-won-/1100-6424219/

"Spectator mode is huge," Holmes said. "Basically, what you'll be able to do in the beta is--any of your friends that are online, you can go and spectate on their games."

There will be a delay in video feeds as a means to weed out cheating, Holmes explained.

"You can then go and look at that game and you can view it from multiple different perspectives," he said. "It's essentially liked a saved film that's running off of the dedicated server."

------------------------

Unless they made spectator LAN+spectate user.. then..different story :P

I don't think you understand, the server can spectate and record the LAN game. It is the same thing. Doesn't matter where the game info is going, just that it is viewable through the online connection. That should still be possible as long as they program it right, and honestly I don't see why they wouldn't.

Looks like 343 shooting the helmet from the MCC cover. The shattering helmet represents the hopes and dreams of the Halo community.

• Upvote (+1) 8