CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Sprint is less of a change than radar, especially with a movement increase (and @@Sal1ent saying that the maps feel good with no Sprint)

So confused as to how you can even consider this statement. First of all how can you trust his judgement? This same guy wants sprint and thruster in the game. On top of that saying that sprint isn't a big change is one of the dumbest statements I've read. Sorry but I'm not going to bite on another pointless conversation about whether sprint should be there or not. The answer is obvious and I'm tired of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Optic sellout in the new bulletin:

"Clamber is great"

"Ground and pound is my favorite by far"

"Br is a power weapon"

WHAT

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So confused as to how you can even consider this statement. First of all how can you trust his judgement? This same guy wants sprint and thruster in the game. On top of that saying that sprint isn't a big change is one of the dumbest statements I've read. Sorry but I'm not going to bite on another pointless conversation about whether sprint should be there or not. The answer is obvious and I'm tired of it.

The thing is I'm fine playing w/ and w/o Sprint, I could care less.

I prefer spectating a game without Sprint, that's just my opinion. Considering we have changed a copious amount of game features in the past, I think something as minor as a Sprint toggle is not dramatic at all.

The thing that catches viewers attention is objectives and gunplay, not Sprint. Sprint is such a passive action that for a spectator, it will escape their mind in an instant. I admit, it will be hard to adapt when playing the HCS for the first time, but just like radar, it is something that you will soon forget about.

I kind of think of radar and sprint the same way that League of Legends disables assistance for understanding the radius of a turret when you go into PvP.

"Br is a power weapon"

WHAT

In Breakout.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The thing is I'm fine playing w/ and w/o Sprint, I could care less.

I prefer spectating a game without Sprint, that's just my opinion. Considering we have changed a copious amount of game features in the past, I think something as minor as a Sprint toggle is not dramatic at all.

The thing that catches viewers attention is objectives and gunplay, not Sprint. Sprint is such a passive action that for a spectator, it will escape their mind in an instant. I admit, it will be hard to adapt when playing the HCS for the first time, but just like radar, it is something that you will soon forget about.

I kind of think of radar and sprint the same way that League of Legends disables assistance for understanding the radius of a turret when you go into PvP.

In Breakout.

I don't think you understand. Players who are the worst rank still enjoy watching the pro's play in the lcs because it is the exact same game not a single thing is changed. Not a single thing. Not one. In Halo the only thing that should be changed is radar to no radar. That just increases a bad players awareness. EVERYthing else should be identical. It doesn't matter how big a change.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent

Would you be able to answer this for me? Have you all thought about or decided upon the matchmaking process? I've been wondering why there hasn't been a similar matchmaking process like Halo 3's since, well, Halo 3...

By matchmaking process, I'm referring to how teams are matched against each other.

Teams of 4 vs Teams of 4

Team of 3 + 1 Random vs Team of 3 + 1 Random

Teams 1/2 + Teams 1/2 vs Teams 1/2 + Teams 1/2

Personally, I think this is something that should make a return. It worked great in Halo 3 and I personally believe it gives a more fair match to players. I can give you the PERFECT example of something relevant right now which is MCC. Going in with a party of 4 is practically unfair for half of the population on this game because it's an absolute steamroll... Granted most of the playlist are still unranked but even when I get matched against one or two decent people on the other team, they don't even remotely stand a chance because all four of us have more chemistry which will automatically give us the edge in terms of teamwork. Adversely, playing against (obvious) teams of 4 are MUCH more challenging and fair.

Not that it gives the other team an excuse to play sloppy, but I think it's pretty fair to say that if you match one team of all randoms vs a team of 4, all players have the exact same skill level, the team with better teamwork is going to win. In this example odds are the team of 4 is going to win probably 7/8 times out of 10 imo.

I'm just quoting my post because I think this is a legitimate concern that could use an answer... @@Sal1ent @@Deez @@Frankie

• Upvote (+1) 2

Matchmaking will be weighted toward matching parties vs parties and assembling teams of like consistency. This was not happening in beta and will be for launch. However, it won't be a hard and fast rule as it needs to be balanced against search times. So the preference will be there in the code, but depending on available population (players actively searching) at the time of match, YMMV.

Kind of regarding this but will we be able to search on our own preference like previous games before Halo 4 like lone wolf, team player, skill, connection, etc?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Matchmaking will be weighted toward matching parties vs parties and assembling teams of like consistency. This was not happening in beta and will be for launch. However, it won't be a hard and fast rule as it needs to be balanced against search times. So the preference will be there in the code, but depending on available population (players actively searching) at the time of match, YMMV.

Good to know. How is the initial ranking going to work in the full game?

I dislike this greatly. I'm assuming rank will be the same weighted instead of rigid/strict? Semi pro could possibly match lower levels instead of search for 10 mins? :(

I'm assuming rank will be the same weighted instead of rigid/strict? Semi pro could possibly match lower levels instead of search for 10 mins? :(

It will be weighted (otherwise you could search endlessly without finding a match depending on the player population in that playlist) but will likely be more rigid for rank and may vary by tier so that highest level skill tiers search longer.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Playing as a team of four versus totally random groups of players literally is not worth the time it takes to complete the match 9 times out of 10. I'd rather sit in the search for as long as it takes to get a good game. This goes for matching based on skill as well.

lol no. Sprint changes the game so fking much. You don't do that. Radar removed, that's it. No new weapon placements, no new spawns, no new objectives, nothing. The base game needs to be good. If you have to remove sprint for the competitive, you remove it for casual too. If it's good competitive then it's good casual. The reason Halo 3 was so successful casually was because of the tools and community.

Ive been saying this so much base game needs to be good because it trickles down because casual players care about having fun, and will then try competitive once they feel the need. 

They have a saying in counter strike which is by far the most successful competitive FPS "easy to learn, difficult to master" this is what we want.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 and Reach changed so much of the base game. A visual change like Sprint is nothing compared to changing maps, weapons, damage, movement, etc.

Sprint is less of a change than radar, especially with a movement increase (and @@Sal1ent saying that the maps feel good with no Sprint)

ROFLMAOLOLOL. Wait. Sprint is less of a change than 110 Damage/Running speed and removing radar?... this is a joke right.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

It will be weighted (otherwise you could search endlessly without finding a match depending on the player population in that playlist) but will likely be more rigid for rank and may vary by tier so that highest level skill tiers search longer.

What will be done about Halo having too much aim-assist and bullet magnetism? Halo has always been a skill full game requires the player to use a lot skill to get their frags. Newer Halo titles have abused the amount of aim-assist and bullet magnetism present in them. Lets remember the Halo 4 beam rifle...

Also, strafing NEEDS to be apart of Halo again. Can the movement acceleration be adjusted so that the player can make quick responsive strafes?

I understand you don't want to change "features" int he game, but the two things I just described above will be unnoticeable to ALL factions of Halo.  

Thank you for the response. My last question would be this (please don't shy away from this, genuinely curious). Why do the casuals get their say in Halo 5? Weren't Halo Reach and Halo 4 their shot at a casual Halo and then they both flopped because of that? Shouldn't it click now that the game needs to go back to the roots? Going back to equal starts can only do so much. Small maps, no sprint, no abilities, large skillgap still aren't there yet and need to be. I'm not sure why that isn't happening? The game would sell the same amount if not more without sprint. No casual doesn't buy the game without sprint. Just my $0.02 let me know your thoughts. My one other point was already posted. PLEASE make the game the same in every sense. No no sprint playlists unless the entire game is no sprint (pls). If the thruster gets nerfed in the hcs playlist, nerf it the same in the casual playlist. It needs to be the same game.

Is it sad that the number one thing keeping me from wanting to play this game is ADS or (smart scope) because it is. I buy a game with "Halo" in its name to play Halo, Not advanced warfare with more health.

Like I understand some people like it, but as a classic Halo fan the animation makes me vomit in my mouth when I see it in a Halo game. Is just like sprint, it just doesn't feel right. Especially after playing Halo CE and Halo 2A for a few hours it makes me realize I love a basic Halo better than a Halo with all these "innovations" I feel like 343 just wanted to Release MCC to tell the Classic Halo community to fuck off and leave them alone with Halo 5.  I really can't stand this game. It doesn't feel like Halo it feels like Cod with more health. Halo 4 competitive settings where honestly funner than the beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it sad that the number one thing keeping me from wanting to play this game is ADS or (smart scope) because it is. I buy a game with "Halo" in its name to play Halo, Not advanced warfare with more health.

Like I understand some people like it, but as a classic Halo fan the animation makes me vomit in my mouth when I see it in a Halo game. Is just like sprint, it just doesn't feel right. Especially after playing Halo CE and Halo 2A for a few hours it makes me realize I love a basic Halo better than a Halo with all these "innovations" I feel like 343 just wanted to Release MCC to tell the Classic Halo community to fuck off and leave them alone with Halo 5.  I really can't stand this game. It doesn't feel like Halo it feels like Cod with more health. Halo 4 competitive settings where honestly funner than the beta.

But every AAA FPS has ADS+sprint these days! We dont understand that M$ needs to sell units guys, its just a coincidence that H3 has sold more than Reach+H4 and soon to be H5! Its just cosmetic, its not like a completely different and more obtrusive shooting mechanic and its not like it effects weapon accuracy! Halo 5 is taking Halo back to its "Arena roots" guys, its just once you play the H5 beta you realize this is BS for the most part and your playing with CoD controls in a Halo game! Were taking your feedback very seriously, here's a no-sprint option for custom games to hopefully placate you legacy Halo fans!  I know I am being a dick here, but if H5's intention was to bring back "Arena Halo" it has failed miserably and its best people start looking elsewhere instead of getting stringed along again for the ride.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But will likely be more rigid for rank and may vary by tier so that highest level skill tiers search longer.

This is good news, just make sure this is well tuned because players in the best Divisions really hate to get boring/unbalanced games for "search time reasons".

Also, a matching system that is too focused on search times has bad implications for the ranking system: If I keep finding "low" ranks, I will need too many wins to rank up, while if I lose, and there's many factors other than playing bad, such as players quitting (which happens a lot in unbalanced games), disconnections, game bugs/crashes (hopefully this doesn't happen ;)  ), I will lose too many points since I was supposed to win easily, and it's infuriating.

A visual change like Sprint is nothing compared to changing maps, weapons, damage, movement, etc.

W-what? I think I don't get the context, but how the fuck do you consider sprint only a visual change?

• Upvote (+1) 3

W-what? I think I don't get the context, but how the fuck do you consider sprint only a visual change?

For Spectators. It's such a passive ability that draws no interest to someone watching or for a caster to comment on.

Gameplay, yeah it sucks, but I'm adamant on removing it.

Can we get you to comment on your Ranked vs. Unranked philosophy yet?

I don't think you understand. Players who are the worst rank still enjoy watching the pro's play in the lcs because it is the exact same game not a single thing is changed. Not a single thing. Not one. In Halo the only thing that should be changed is radar to no radar. That just increases a bad players awareness. EVERYthing else should be identical. It doesn't matter how big a change.

Of course I understand. I know more than anything that the competitive game should be as close to the vanilla experience as possible. To compare, look at this post I made a few pages back...

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-908?do=findComment&comment=419686

Comparing three setting changes in H5 (BR Starts, No Radar, No Sprint) to the 10+ for each Halo game in the past is nothing.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

She was good with the Republic Commando books, but it was to my knowledge that she did very "limited" research about Halo at all before writing her first book.

She is known for making very little research on every franchise she write for. Also her characters have a tendency of all thinking and behaving the same way, and she is notorious for boiling down the interesting moral dilemma of the creation of the spartan program into "OMG Halsey is basically Mengele/Hitler/Satan and it's all her fault".

In little league baseball they play with aluminum bats, no dropped third strike rule, have a shorter distances between bases, shorter pitching distance, have four outfielders, have different strike zones, 6 innings, mercy rule, no designated hitter and a shorter home run distance.

Now your telling me casuals can't possibly enjoy HCS unless it has sprint? 

• Upvote (+1) 3