CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What did you expect? That this would all blow over in a matter of days?

It already did basically, minus some late reddit thread.

Damn we are still talking about this nonsense?

ur just mad frankles REKT u

W0QgS4N.png

Strongholds suffers from a viewing perspective because of how it has three objectives. It's difficult for viewers to focus and commentators to keep track of.

Breakout on the other hand (regardless of with or without objective), provides a change of pace and will offer a much different style of commentary than respawn gametypes. Pistol only starts would also make it epic.

Did he think that coming to a forum filled with hardcore Halo fans, whom have been kicked in the crotch harder and harder over the years would go well? 

I dunno man, squashed nuts seem like a good result for loving the franchise they're responsible for.

Im not even half way down the page and I read: "People wanted a return to a more classic, CE-style game, and that's what we got in Halo Reach"

Like what??

That comment is accurate to the point that Reach had health packs. Lol.

However, and I never thought I'd say this, but after playing quite a lot of Reach lately I realized just how much closer it is to the original "Halo feel" than Halo 4 is and certainly Halo 5 will ever be. Reach at the time was fundamentally different, but again, compared to H4 its still Halo.

Im not sure why people are surprised, or @@Frankie himself.  Did he think that coming to a forum filled with hardcore Halo fans, whom have been kicked in the crotch harder and harder over the years would go well? After the release of H4, that it would go well? After the fail that is MCC, that it would go well? After an H5 beta that includes more COD/Titanfall/Crysis comparisons than I care to reference,,,,,,, that it would go well?

Are you guys serious? - Because his little avatar says "343" over it, have you lost your personal pride?

I means jeesh, dont sit on here and spew out constructive cirticism and 343 hate all day every day and then once a 343 staffer shows up you ask him, "Hey frankie who is the most fun in the office?!?!" -- get that outta here.

I am over the "politically correct" - there is no transparency, when the answers given are coated in it. 

Some people, @@Cursed Lemon, @@Saucey (and more) tried to engage and get REAL answers - but to no avail. 

There isnt really anything that 343 could do to win back my trust, or get more money out of my wallet, and this point they could send in all their staff to these forums promising us whatever we desire - it will be hollow.   The only thing they have been able to deliver on has been a 100+ day patch that lets me join my friends and stay with them.  Next, its 100 more days until gameplay and ranks.

Lets have a party 

Daaamn you tell'em.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When you empower individuals so that they can hold down an area or time a power weapon without needing another BR to assist them, teamwork is allowed to evolve beyond teamshooting.

When you increase individual skill, you do not lose teamwork. In fact, you enrich the teamwork meta. Why is this competitive model inferior?

Furthermore, it is not fun to feel weak in a video game. Players feel weak when teamshooting is absolutely necessary.

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie Would really love to get a response to this. The way you guys are going about making Halo 5 more team-based is counter productive. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

FOV increase

Came here to say this. The big ugly sniper wouldn't be so bad if the FOV in Halo games wasn't crap. Outside of Splitscreen CE they have been too small. And with Halo 5 (allegedly) being 60FPS and native 1080p, and the Xbox One basically being a bad PC, I doubt it will be decent.

I'm surprised anybody thought that the latest exchange between 343 and BE went badly. Compared to the first time Sal1ent peeked in, things seemed remarkably amiable. Even the Frankie insults were responded to far calmer than I expected. It wasn't sunshine and rainbows, but should it have been?

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie Would really love to get a response to this. The way you guys are going about making Halo 5 more team-based is counter productive. 

See, now. They talk about adding more options to the player through the addition of various abilities that are supposed to "empower" the player. But when the player can't even accomplish anything by themselves because it's so necessary to have a second "turret" in the mix to deal with anything, I don't feel empowered at all.

If they really want to add all that shit in, they should really consider decreasing the average kill time and increasing the skill gap on the weapons (namely, magnetism and aim assist reductions) in order to both empower players and make it dependent on individual skill as to whether the full effect of these additions can come to fruition.

I just remember being really frustrated in the beta because I couldn't do anything by myself. And it's not like I wasn't playing the teamwork game, it's just that I have all of these new options in front of me that don't mean shit when faced with two people throwing 3 round bursts at me even if I happened to catch them both off guard.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie Another one of my Halo 5 suggestions. Pro players need to hold the back button in order to see who how many players are dead. This stops player movement and takes up the screen during game play. My suggestion is to add blue and read numbers to the HUD displaying how many of the the teammates and enemy's are alive It could be very simple such as  / 3 meaning 4 blue players are alive and 3 red players are alive.      

• Upvote (+1) 1

That comment is accurate to the point that Reach had health packs. Lol.

However, and I never thought I'd say this, but after playing quite a lot of Reach lately I realized just how much closer it is to the original "Halo feel" than Halo 4 is and certainly Halo 5 will ever be. Reach at the time was fundamentally different, but again, compared to H4 its still Halo.

In relation to the 'Classic' Halo feel I'd say:

Legendary H4 > H5 > Default Reach > Default H4

Reach had loadouts. There is nothing more unlike Halo than that, so I think H5 trumps it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yo @@Sal1ent can we see some stats based on which Sniper people prefer aesthetically? I just have never seen a single positive comment about the Halo 4/5 sniper but you insist on using that model?

fC5TFjd.gif

Guys pls. I may be cynical about the future of this franchise, but goddamn do I not act like an asshole when asking questions.

Not like it matters at this point. Things we say on here aren't going mean squat for the final game.

Yo @@Sal1ent can we see some stats based on which Sniper people prefer aesthetically? I just have never seen a single positive comment about the Halo 4/5 sniper but you insist on using that model?

Doubt we'll ever see stats. Unless they put it in the next HCFP Survey?

Listen, @@Sal1ent. I kid you not, the Sniper is my biggest qualm with this game. I'll play Sprint, I'll play Breakout, and I'll do my best to enjoy all of it. But the thing that burns my heart inside is the visual and audio design for the Halo 4/5 Sniper. I've liked every iteration of the Sniper (H1, 2, 3, Reach, 2A). The classic booming audio makes kills feel epic (combined with the classic Gold and Purple Snipe Medal) and satisfying. H2A's is a little dodgy because of the loud POP sound it makes... but anything is better than the direction Halo 4 took. A giant grey box with a circular eyepiece and a protruding metal bar that makes a loud CLANK noise reminds me nothing of an epic, sci-fi Sniper Rifle. 

I don't understand how every single one of Halo 5's weapons has seen a redesign (most of which I like – SMG, Pistol, AR), but the Sniper is a direct copy and paste from Halo 4. It is so unbearable that montage editors like Kampy and @@Hastings have resorted to editing the scope U.I. and shot Audio to sync better with montage songs.

I'd live with celebrating bro-Spartans. I'd live with a change to the Rockets. Please, for the love of Halo, do whatever it takes (dedicate the entire art team for a week, I don't care) to bring us a Sniper that is remotely reminiscent of the one we know and love.

Sincerely,

Pro Players, Montage editors, and Halo fans alike.

:kappa:

P.S. It's not that hard. Rectangular scope with curved corners, green display, booming audio. Profit.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

True. However, every pro player is pretty happy with hearing "arena" and "equal starts" again. I'm going to let the full game sink in before believing their opinions.

All the "arena" and "equal starts", and whatever buzzwords they say aren't fooling me. There's more to Halo than that.

You can give everyone a fucking rocket launcher and that would count as "equal starts".

• Upvote (+1) 1

You think they have any idea what makes a competitive game? Clearly they have a very limited knowledge set of such a thing if their answer to an e-sport/competitive game is "increase the need for teamwork". They haven't a clue. A competitive game that is FUN to watch as a viewer MUST emphasize individual skill AND team skill. People want to watch pro's pulling off things that the viewer themselves normally couldn't. Thats the problem with spectating recent Halo's. Theres nothing to appreciate on an individual level while watching. Sure, you may witness a perfect TEAM effort/push, etc. and you can admire that, but recent Halo's offer nothing that "wows" the viewer. The crippled individual skill-gap in recent halo's makes the game utterly boring to watch. I miss the days of Halo 1-3 where individuals pulled off incredible plays and carried the team to victory. When someone got a sniper headshot, you were blown away most of the time. Since everyone can snipe in recent Halo's, each time it happens its like "Oh ya,  guess he just sniped that dude". Where are the sick quad shots, etc.? Why would anyone spectate a pro playing when they can simply load up a game of their own and pull off the same things?

Its hard to put it in words, but a successful competitive game needs to encourage team skill without hampering how effective one amazing player on fire can do for the rest of his/her team. I would hate Halo 5 to put so much emphasis on team skill that an amazing player on a mediocre team is rendered useless. This is how I feel in H2:A. I feel like if the other team is a decent amount better than my team mates, there isnt' enough that I as an individual can do to balance everything out and win for my team. Whether its because aiming is too easy now or because of map dynamics I don't know - all I know is that I am an exceptional player yet if I have a mediocre team I feel useless against the opponent. Sick of that.

I'm not arguing that a better team shouldn't win, but at least let the one amazing player on the losing team have the ability to carry some-what.

Just as an example, look at real-life sports. In soccer, lets say, you have team skill and individual skill. Team skill comes from teamwork/chemistry, team positioning, blocking, communicating, formation, etc. Then you have individual skill such as deaking, dribbling, shooting/kicking, ball handling (lol), and endurance, etc. Imagine watching soccer where every player had the same level of ability, and the only factor in who won was the team skill level. t would be BORING. You need both aspects of skill. a big reason people watch professional soccer is because those individual players pull off amazing plays and can do things that you can't. They are more accurate, can kick the ball further, run longer, and can fake out opponents better than you. We used to have this in Halo. We used to have players that had an amazing BR, those with an amazing sniper, flag runners, players who excelled in double/quad shotting, players who were amazing in CQB, etc. Now everyone at the pro level seems to be relatively the same. Anyone can do anything and theres less of difference between them. Its boring.

I really hope things like thruster, ground-pound, the reduced auto aim, etc. can bring some of this back. However it scares the shit out of me when I see Frankie and Josh say things like "In Halo 5 we want to emphasize team-skill more so than previous titles". Are you kidding me?

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie Another one of my Halo 5 suggestions. Pro players need to hold the back button in order to see who how many players are dead. This stops player movement and takes up the screen during game play. My suggestion is to add blue and read numbers to the HUD displaying how many of the the teammates and enemy's are alive It could be very simple such as  / 3 meaning 4 blue players are alive and 3 red players are alive.      

THIS 100000000000000000000x. Wow. A truly original and helpful idea. Why can't ideas like this come out of 343?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Exactly. You can literally 100-0 a team.

Skillgap