CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

and if there isn't?

Breakout would work w/ an objective on the standard maps like Regret, Empire, etc. The Breakout Arena maps are WAY to small to have an objective slapped on them at this point.

Here's something from Valve and TF2: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Arena

Arena is a game mode added during the Heavy Update in which RED and BLU are pitted against each other in a battle to the death. The goal for both teams is to kill all of the opposing team's players, with no respawning during rounds. If both teams survive one minute of fighting, a control point will unlock, allowing a team to win by capping the point.

Well that is the point halo has shields - this game type has no shields.

There are still shields that recharge - they're just weaker.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Strongholds is 100% more competitive than Breakout. You actually have to control the map in Strongholds, while Breakout just seems to be a shitty SnD.

Strongholds is 100% more competitive than Breakout. You actually have to control the map in Strongholds, while Breakout just seems to be a shitty SnD.

I gotta say Breakout is fresh but it could be less linear.

I gotta say Breakout is fresh but it could be less linear.

You can 100-0 someone in Strongholds. Wanting a gamemode in the HCS just because it's new is a stupid way to think. It's a bad SnD.

There are still shields that recharge - they're just weaker.

Give me the same shields for every gametype or it is not halo. (and don't tell me SWAT is a good gametype, it is trash)

I gotta say, I was legit shocked by how much fun Strongholds was in beta. My new favorite game mode for sure. Especially w/ a team of 4 against some solid teams. 

343i managed to actually make 3 plots much better, so kudos to them.

As for Breakout, sure it's not traditional Halo but we shouldn't shun away new gametypes just because its different. It just adds to the wide array of gametypes teams will have to be good at. 

It COULD work w/ slayer but I think an Obj def. needs to be added for pro play. 

We need to have overtime options for all gametypes.  Obviously this was highlighted this weekend.  I can't see why we shouldn't be able to set up all the rules in game for flag overtime or to calculate and auto end the game when it is mathematically impossible to tie or win in oddball or KOTH.

I know there are much bigger fish to fry but these are a couple that have been on my list for a while

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can 100-0 someone in Strongholds. Wanting a gamemode in the HCS just because it's new is a stupid way to think. It's a bad SnD.

Yeah but it's weather or not it's fun right? 

Give me the same shields for every gametype or it is not halo. (and don't tell me SWAT is a good gametype, it is trash)

Regular Halo: Shields + Health

Swat: Just Health

Breakout: Weaker Shields + Health

SWAT uses the same damage system, but removes shields. Breakout is just hard to track in terms of damage you can take, which is what I don't like about it. Especially if it's meant for competitive. 

I found it stale imo

Me too, a bit repetitive. That's why I'd like to see it being less linear and have maybe a power weapon in the middle of the map or an objective.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Me too, a bit repetitive. That's why I'd like to see it being less linear and have maybe a power weapon in the middle of the map or an objective.

even then I see it being repetitive, the main thing being is that it only offers one way of thinking. when I played it, everyone just pushed the same way and it was just down to gunskill instead of outplaying your opponent with other means.

even then I see it being repetitive, the main thing being is that it only offers one way of thinking. when I played it, everyone just pushed the same way and it was just down to gunskill instead of outplaying your opponent with other means.

That's what I mean when I say less linear. Gunfights are pretty much straight forward and back and aren't that dynamic. There isn't any side base or significantly imposing routes around the map which makes it more repetitive. 

That's what I mean when I say less linear. Gunfights are pretty much straight forward and back and aren't that dynamic. There isn't any side base or significantly imposing routes around the map which makes it more repetitive. 

yea, if it doesn't improve I really hope Strongholds gets in. that mode's the GOAT

What objective could you put in the middle of the map that wouldn't make the gametype and absolutely cluttered and messy. Anyone who pushed a center objective (on Crossfire or Trench) would just get melted.

An Oddball, Hill, Extraction thing, or Flagnum(srs). But don't put it in the exact center of the map. Something right outside house on Crossfire keeps it fair without making it a total deathtrap. Have the objective spawn midway through the match to give players a chance to actually kill. TF2 Arena is practically the same; it has a territory that opens up in the middle of the map after a minute or so of killing to bring campers out late in the game. Pistol-only starts with 2 SMGs, an AR, and a DMR would be perfect.

I don't believe Breakout should be in the competitive settings, it's too different from default Halo. It would be like if we switched between GP Flag and v7 Slayer in Reach. One-life game modes haven't worked in Halo previously due to the slow killtimes and regenerating health. 343 found a way around this by buffing the damage by a lot. With all that said, I do think that Breakout has potential to be its own competitive niche gametype.

Strongholds is perfect. It fixes the problems of Territories/Domination by actually allowing a team to make a comeback.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yea, if it doesn't improve I really hope Strongholds gets in. that mode's the GOAT

I got to play it once! Really wish I played it more, was awesome  :ghost:

Strongholds is glorified territories, It would be really boring to watch.

Breakout during the Beta was cool, round based 1 life gametypes are awesome for viewership and they can be really intense.  However the 3rd person camera view waters down the whole experience when you can look around corners and pan the map for your teammates, its almost like an award for dying. 

For sure needs objective game modes, I am sure they are aware of this and will be doing something cool with it. The idea of Breakout is fantastic though and I really enjoyed playing it during the beta. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Strogholds seems like a solid gametype, I like it and I would like to see it being played in HCS.

Breakout looks like it needs more work instead: no objective, no headshots, no shields, 1 hit melee doesn't feel right and even if it did, the gametype had several issues, the BR was far too dominant, no objective made high level competition slow and campy and there's little to no skill gap with automatics in 1v1 encounters, expecially without headshot multipliers.

We'll have to wait and see how Breakout is going to change and maybe there might be some potential, but I don't see it fitting as a gametype in a normal tournament, it's too different.

Strongholds being glorified territories is an unfair write off of a great mode. It's very back and forth and could be excellent to watch pros climb big deficits considering, unlike other similar modes, it actually allows for comebacks. What's more exciting than a comeback?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Strongholds being glorified territories is an unfair write off of a great mode. It's very back and forth and could be excellent to watch pros climb big deficits considering, unlike other similar modes, it actually allows for comebacks. What's more exciting than a comeback?

Exactly. You can literally 100-0 a team.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imagine 11-game series with Slayer, Flag, Ball, Hill, Strongholds, Bomb, & Extraction. Would be  :goat:

Don't think we need Breakout, and we should only consider it if they make shields normal again and add an objective.