CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2y6jh8/i_never_thought_this_would_work_torpedo_hit/

This kinda stuff is incredible. It also reminds me of another reason Halo 4 just didn't appeal to me that much (beyond the obvious reasons). The little things in that game were missing. There just wasn't as many tiny details and nuances to EVERYTHING in the game. To paraphrase an IGN member from long ago, Halo is so good because it has so many crazy little things to it...

The quote to the best of my recollection: "The coolest thing to happen in Call of Duty is someone gets a knife kill from cross map. This happens every week in Halo 3 . . . and Halo doesn't even have knives."

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thats one thing I really dont understand about 343. Yes we have Spartans, the shieldsystem and the weapons. But the rest: The sound is completely different. The weapons are all (most) different looking now. The announcer, the medals, changed gametypes (Ball throwing, Flagnum) etc. And damn 4.5 seconds between Multikills instead of 4. My question about all this is just: Why? 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Thats one thing I really dont understand about 343. Yes we have Spartans, the shieldsystem and the weapons. But the rest: The sound is completely different. The weapons are all (most) different looking now. The announcer, the medals, changed gametypes (Ball throwing, Flagnum) etc. And damn 4.5 seconds between Multikills instead of 4. My question about all this is just: Why?

Making the game more accessible to a wider audience.

That will leave the game after a month or so when the next FPS game comes out. Going after the casual gamer instead of the Halo fan is killing this franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 6

And how do different sounds, generic looking weapons and a boring medal system for example do that? I dont think there is someone who will buy the game because it sounds different or because the rocket launcher looks like a Battlefield one.  

• Upvote (+1) 6

And how do different sounds, generic looking weapons and a boring medal system for example do that? I dont think there is someone who will buy the game because it sounds different or because the rocket launcher looks like a Battlefield one.  

Because every 12 year old gets a participation trophy so the video game developers have to account for that.

Thats one thing I really dont understand about 343. Yes we have Spartans, the shieldsystem and the weapons. But the rest: The sound is completely different. The weapons are all (most) different looking now. The announcer, the medals, changed gametypes (Ball throwing, Flagnum) etc. And damn 4.5 seconds between Multikills instead of 4. My question about all this is just: Why? 

The extra time for multikills is to make up for people sprinting away.

Any 343 guys, why does the sniper still look like a tank and take so much of the screen up? Please make it feel smoother and smaller like literally any other Halo besides Halo 4 snipers.

what's even worse is when you sprint with it.

it's like you lift it up to your chin at least

That will leave the game after a month or so when the next FPS game comes out. Going after the casual gamer instead of the Halo fan is killing this franchise.

Two problems here.

One, The majority of "Halo fans" are the "casuals".  

Two. This is a AAA game."Casuals" are the vast majority who purchase AAA games. To continue to make AAA games, you need to sell a shit ton of games to make a shit ton of money to make more AAA games. So financially, why the hell would 343 solely go after the competitive scene when said scene is the minority compared to, you know,  the rest of the people who buy Halo?

Its not so much that they want to make the game accessible to anyone and everyone, they fucking have too. There is no choice in this matter. Thats the way the gaming industry works.

Two problems here.

Two. This is a AAA game."Casuals" are the vast majority who purchase AAA games. To continue to make AAA games, you need to sell a shit ton of games to make a shit ton of money to make more AAA games. So financially, why the hell would 343 solely go after the competitive scene when said scene is the minority compared to, you know,  the rest of the people who buy Halo?

Its not so much that they want to make the game accessible to anyone and everyone, they fucking have too. There is no choice in this matter. Thats the way the gaming industry works.

I'd argue that the most popular games period right now aren't watered down casual messes. I believe a simplistic, yet challenging/rewarding game would do just as well and actually be competitive.

I'm mainly referencing cs and the mobas. 

Two problems here.

No. You're misunderstanding what i'm saying. When I say casual i'm talking about the gamers that buy a new game every week. The guys that buy the new shiny shit then move on to something else in a few days or weeks...they have no favs, they'll play whatever but don't really dedicate months/years into it. When I say Halo fans, I am talking about the casual and hardcore halo fans, the guys that love the lore of campaign, the forgers, the custom gametype players, the none-competitive and the competitive gamers. 343 needs to focus on keeping the attention of HALO fans, not the casual gamer that hops from game to game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'd argue that the most popular games period right now aren't watered down casual messes. I believe a simplistic, yet challenging/rewarding game would do just as well and actually be competitive.

I'm mainly referencing cs and the mobas. 

People really need to stop using F2P/$5 PC games as an example. The console market, let alone the Xbox One ONLY market, is a completely different beast. You NEED to cater to casuals to be successful. 

That being said, there's no reason why a game that's casual accessible can't also be competitive and have a decent skill-gap/meta (See: Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, etc). Unfortunately, the market is very different right now. As you can see by Faze's Halo 5 montage, people will hate on Halo just because it's not CoD and because of the Halo name. 

Realistically, there needs to be that slight divide between HCS and casual Arena modes, like no sprint/no radar. It'll benefit both parties and is a win/win. Really don't see that being too huge of a difference between pro/casual settings to justify Halo Reach scale community divides. 

people will hate on Halo just because it's not CoD and because of the Halo name. 

I think this is a two way street and has been for years now...

dda3e99b637c0a9fead6bcca1f5fb769.png

I think this is a two way street and has been for years now...

dda3e99b637c0a9fead6bcca1f5fb769.png

It's on a whole other level now, for obvious reasons. I tried looking up team changes in CoD earlier today when I was watching the G. Finals, every video I clicked had some prebuscent 13 year old kid narrating the video w/ an all caps title and information section. Not to mention the comments on the Faze video are embarrassing. 

It's on a whole other level now, for obvious reasons. I tried looking up team changes in CoD earlier today when I was watching the G. Finals, every video I clicked had some prebuscent 13 year old kid narrating the video w/ an all caps title and information section. Not to mention the comments on the Faze video are embarrassing. 

Not sure I get the thing with the 13 year old kid, but I understand that most of the CoD fans are people younger than Halo fans... therefore don't realize how far their actions/words go. However I'm almost sure you could put the sickest CoD montage ever made on a Halo-based channel and the dislike bar would be past half.

Anyhow, the interesting thing to take from this is the fact that CoD fans aren't necessarily interested in Halo 5, despite the new direction it's taking and the newfound similarities with modern shooters. I wonder who 343's target audience is at this point. Even some Destiny players rather watch Destiny than Halo 5, despite it having various abilities taken straight from it.

Then again, we're talking about YouTube comments here... and YouTube comments are always shit.

Not sure I get the thing with the 13 year old kid, but I understand that most of the CoD fans are people younger than Halo fans... therefore don't realize how far their actions/words go. However I'm almost sure you could put the sickest CoD montage ever made on a Halo-based channel and the dislike bar would be past half.

Anyhow, the interesting thing to take from this is the fact that CoD fans aren't necessarily interested in Halo 5, despite the new direction it's taking and the newfound similarities with modern shooters. I wonder who 343's target audience is at this point. Even some Destiny players rather watch Destiny than Halo 5, despite it having various abilities taken straight from it.

Then again, we're talking about YouTube comments here... and YouTube comments are always shit.

I guess, should probably not put too much into Youtube comments. I just can't see some of the younger audience coming to Halo w/ CoD being such the phenom it is. I think it being the old king might have some pull, but it would need some of the old traits to really play that card. 

I guess, should probably not put too much into Youtube comments. I just can't see some of the younger audience coming to Halo w/ CoD being such the phenom it is. I think it being the old king might have some pull, but it would need some of the old traits to really play that card. 

Yeah, the last thing I would define Halo 5 as is a game that brings back the series' old traits.

Yeah, the last thing I would define Halo 5 as is a game that brings back the series' old traits.

I think if they focus on red vs blue and the whole "arena" aspect coming back it might create enough buzz to get casuals interested in seeing what its all about. I know all of my casual friends thought the beta was "sick", "amazing graphics", "hype", etc. It certainly has the new game hype going for it. 

Hopefully us competitive players can be there at launch to bolster the buzz and keep the population strong. I always thought that a competitive community that loves the game could keep the casuals interested. I'm sure if AW sucked and the pro's didnt catch onto the new movement it would be shat on everywhere by casual cod players, etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since the Halo 5: Guardians Beta launched, I've been thinking nonstop about how epic the game is going to be for the HCS. Part of this has made me think with the wide variety of maps, gametypes, and options Halo 5 has... what will we play?

It's pretty much a given that we'll see gametypes like Capture The Flag, Oddball, and hopefully Extraction ( :ghost: ), but what about the new modes introduced in the Beta? Breakout and Strongholds were both designed with competitive gameplay in mind, so would you be interested in seeing them in the Halo Championship Series for Halo 5: Guardians?

Personally, I'd prefer to see Breakout included in the rotation, but not Strongholds. Halo has always needed a round based gametype and I feel this is the one that can offer the change of pace and hype that our gametype pool needs. Unyshek put it best when he told me "round based gametypes allow casters to tell a story both in between rounds, and as players approach their opening strategy" etc. etc.

Provided the gametype sees a few changes, I feel that it's introduction into the HCS would be great for players and spectators alike.

Yes, it's pretty far away from launch, but I feel this discussion should be had sooner rather than later. If 343 is planning to have built in competitive rulesets or features, they need to know what we want before the game (and the Halo 5 HCS) launches.

Feel free to discuss Halo 5's map/gametype pool as a whole, but try to refrain from discussing the issues with the game itself.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Breakout will make my list if there's an objective added.

and if there isn't?

Breakout would work w/ an objective on the standard maps like Regret, Empire, etc. The Breakout Arena maps are WAY to small to have an objective slapped on them at this point.

and if there isn't?

Have something to fight for in the center of the map. I never saw anybody care too much in the beta, but if you pushed towards the side on Crossfire that had the stockpile of grenades, it could be used towards your advantage against an enemy team that is hiding in their base.