CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I honestly think the single biggest issue with all of the spartan abilities/armor abilities etc is that they try so hard to balance them in a way that lets them be part of the original style of Halo gameplay. Like they want you to run around and move with all of them but when it comes time to actually shoot at each other they want it to play just as before. That shit is never going to work. Never. If we're going to have thrust we should be able to shoot while we thrust if we're going to sprint why not shoot and sprint at the same time. Why not clamber while shooting or clamber up something backwards while firing. Putting the game firmly between the past and the present just comes away with a game that isn't good at anything. Isn't special at all. Isn't fun and doesn't offer anything new. Pick one direction and go. Anything is better than sitting in the middle of the crossroads going nowhere.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Frankie @@Sal1ent

I still don't see Frankie nor Josh answering the questions we as a whole want answered the most.
They are picking and choosing what's suitable to them and I'm sorry but I don't feel any better them being in here if they can't answer the well thought out logical and most important discussions that we're providing, I can see why so many people feel frustrated and let down.
The last two games were not successful and only a fool would think that they were. We are not confident in sprint and amor abilities in Halo and don't try and tell us it's competitive if you can't explain it in detail.

No reasoning as to why sprint is in the game and what it adds to the competitive scene?
Why are you taking halo into a Call of Duty Hybrid?
What do the add ons you're implementing add to the competitive style of halo?
Don't get me wrong Halo 5 has some things that I do like in it, but I just see some many game breaking additions that need explaining as to why this will be a positive inclusion for competitive halo.

Halo was a competitive game and why do you think going away from it's best qualities is a good thing?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey guys - what’s going on? 

In case you’re wondering, I stopped posting because whatever I say seems to get taken out of context and misconstrued. I don’t have time to pour over my posts to make them “bulletproof” and I don’t feel like I should have to. I was hopeful that we could have an ongoing, respectful dialogue about things without people leaping to conclusions and making hyperbolic characterizations.

If something was taken out of context, then stick around and explain to people where they've gone wrong. If people still don't understand, then you can run away. Part of that "ongoing, respectful dialogue" you're talking about would involve elaborating on your point when people have misunderstood something based on your language.

For example, people keep throwing out #immersion as if that’s the only thing I mentioned in my post about sprint. I talked about the gameplay opportunities and combat choices that we wanted to offer players but hey, that was roundly ignored. Lets create a reductionist meme instead! Frank did an interview years ago where he mentioned that when we hired people to the studio, they had things about Halo that they didn’t like and wanted to change or improve. This gets reduced to “OMG they hired people that HATED Halo!” when in fact we hire with the exact opposite criteria in mind. People build and apply a narrative that suits their argument to stoke shit up.

I really don't think you know what "out of context" actually means. You literally said that immersion was one of the big reasons for including default sprint in Halo. And as people who believe that's not a good enough reason to include it in the game, we started using it as a meme. It's as simple as that.

If you're struggling to understand why we think "immersion" is a terrible excuse for sprint, here's why:

1. Any feature could be called "immersive" in any game if the developers wanted to write the lore around that feature, thus technically making it consistent with what it might feel like to be in the game. But that does nothing to say it benefits gameplay.

2. We're super-soldiers with powered armour and yet we have to lower our weapons in order to sprint? Come on. Your immersion excuse isn't even believable because real immersion in the context of Halo would be shooting and sprinting at the same time.

3. Halo should be consistent with what made Halo work as it evolves, and it shouldn't sacrifice an important part of gameplay just to fulfil some idea of reality that you think should be there. If you're going to say "sprint is immersive because it's more like how we act in real life", then you sure as hell better start taking out things such as high jump hight, 1-hit-kill melees, and so on.

If I've gone wrong somewhere with my reasoning here, Josh, then feel free to point out exactly where. I'm more than willing to listen to what you have to say, but you have to say something in order for an ongoing discussion to happen. If you are in fact right and end up destroying me arguments one by one, then people round here should start seeing your perspective a little better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo should be consistent with what made Halo work as it evolves, and it shouldn't sacrifice an important part of gameplay just to fulfill some idea of reality that you think should be there.

I couldn't have worded it better myself. 

This is what is vital to halo and is the reason it's not a going to be successful if it continues to go away from it's core.

Not one person here wants halo to fail and it hurts when it's so BLATANTLY obvious as to how it's decline happened/is happening.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ya, but since you cannot shoot while doing it people ONLY use it as an escape tool.

What is the point of using it in combat? Sure you are harder to hit, but it is also impossible for you to hit your opponent while using it.

The delay was very very tiny, you could shoot before the animation ended.

durrj9ueg.gif

That said, none is better than any...

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Sal1ent

@@Frankie

How about we leave all the abilities, but you can still shoot normally while doing any of the abilities except for ground pound. This will be able to speed things up in the game and it increases the skill gap as well. If you're able to add toggles to sprint, I'm sure you can try that right.

I also have to thank you two for coming on here. It has been a bit rough few days back but I really appreciate you guys coming here.

durrj9ueg.gif

Damn was this clip yours? That was impressive and reminds me of how much fun I had while the beta lasted. 

Damn was this clip yours? That was impressive and reminds me of how much fun I had while the beta lasted. 

Yeah twas mine.

Was the only time in beta that thruster actually felt right.

Smart Scope's delay can be null by firing the gun as you do the scope animation. Was doing it during long range fights to get the edge on someone.

Yeah twas mine.

Was the only time in beta that thruster actually felt right.

My sig was mine

@@Sal1ent can you comment on the halo 5 maps being sized proportionally for game types with no sprint? How will the size of the arena maps fair if sprint is disabled?

also, how possible is it that we will have day one matchmaking ranked playlists with no sprint?

This thread has hit 900,000 views

1 Million or bust  :prayers:

Is that in unique views where one view is tied to one person or are views added even if someone has already entered the thread before?

The problem with Spartan Abilities is that there are too many defensive abilities rather than offensive. Sprint and Thruster are too defensive and allows dumb mistakes IMO. I prefer ground pound over sprint and thruster but thats just what I think.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Smart Scope's delay can be null by firing the gun as you do the scope animation. Was doing it during long range fights to get the edge on someone.

I used to do this ni cod all the time lol

Is that in unique views where one view is tied to one person or are views added even if someone has already entered the thread before?

For sure not unique views - for example if I load up the thread that's 1 view, and I go to the next page that's another view.

Most of that 900,000 is repeat views for sure. I can check the unique stats later if I have some time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent

@@Frankie

How about we leave all the abilities, but you can still shoot normally while doing any of the abilities except for ground pound. This will be able to speed things up in the game and it increases the skill gap as well. If you're able to add toggles to sprint, I'm sure you can try that right.

I also have to thank you two for coming on here. It has been a bit rough few days back but I really appreciate you guys coming here.

I feel like a quick headshot with charge is going to make for less interesting CQC battles and take skill away from the game as well as encourage players to sprint.

I'm all for sprint and shoot, at that point its just a "go slightly faster" button and it solves everyone's issues if the speed difference is about 5%. It separates the mechanic from all other games. @@Sal1ent

Also, what have you guys toyed with pertaining to speed and sprint?

The only question I would have for the 343 developers, and I apologize if this has already been addressed, is why do these sorts of discussions take place in forums like teambeyond, twitter, neogaf, reddit, etc instead of 343i's own forums? I have yet to see a single back-and-forth discussion with anyone from 343 on halowaypoint.com like we've seen here over the past few days.

Again, if this has been addressed already or if such discussions have taken place on 343i's forums and I've missed them, then I apologize. I've already made up my mind about Halo 5. Sadly, the changes to the formula aren't going anywhere, and that's unfortunate. But, more important than what's going on with the next game is the communication 343i has had with the community throughout... well... everything. It's no wonder that fans get frustrated and lash out when one of the developers pops in to say hello when any sort of proper communication is so few and far between.

I've signed in on halowaypoint.com almost daily since the release of MCC to see what's being said, see if there's any new news, see what's going on, etc, and I have never once seen a discussion with one of the developers take place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

you can't run and fight, not while sprint limits weapon usage. Its rust fight or just run. All it does is create two options out of one that already existed. These aren't new options, it's just another limitation on the player, forcing them to pick one or the other rather than being capable of doing both.

So we agree you can run, and you can fight. If you choose not to sprint, and just keep your normal walking pace, you can still shoot while trying to get away. That's a choice. You can get away in the most effective way possible (sprint/thruster), run while doing some damage (walk away and shoot), or you can just fight (well, shoot).

You can technically strongside in other Halo games to run away without fighting, but I would argue it's not nearly as important as using sprint/thruster.