CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So is the general consensus a month after the beta: (some combo of CE, 2, 3 ) > 5 > Reach > 4?

Competitively I'll put it over default H3

Come on man don't be like that...

Don't you know it's cool to hate on h3?

Oh dude, I've noticed many things.

Like when people say Reach v7 is better then H3 v8...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Come on man don't be like that...

Bro lets go play with Radar Jammers, Spikers, Gravity Hammers, Needlers, Spike Grenades, on Snowbound. Out of the box it is so much better than H3. I even prefer some of Halo 5's maps over H3

Halo 3 is actually my favorite game haha

• Upvote (+1) 3

Bro lets go play with Radar Jammers, Spikers, Gravity Hammers, Needlers, Spike Grenades, on Snowbound. Out of the box it is so much better than H3. I even prefer some of Halo 5's maps over H3

Halo 3 is actually my favorite game haha

dont worry bro, I agree w/ you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dude lets go play on a grey map with jetpacks, infinite sprint and some AA where i can dodge and role on the ground....

Dude lets go play on a grey map with jetpacks, infinite sprint and some AA where i can dodge and role on the ground....

I actually really liked Pegasus. Think it's one of the better H5 maps and better maps I've played in a while. Orions not bad either, few tweaks are needed (like that fucking glass house being removed). 

The clean, metal look is good IMO. 

Can't tell if your talking about H5 or Reach.

No AA's or Jetpacks in H5, and the Forge palette wasn't that bad...

I actually really liked Pegasus. Think it's one of the better H5 maps and better maps I've played in a while. Orions not bad either, few tweaks are needed (like that fucking glass house being removed). 

The clean, metal look is good IMO.

Not a fan of Orion but Pegasus was one of the best maps in H5.

People are kind of forgetting that some settings can't better than the overall experience of another game. Like Halo: Reach v7 can't represent the whole Reach package when Matchmaking is a mess. v7 is great, but the rest of the game is a storm full of crap.

Halo 5 is quite close to Halo 3, but I'll take the Equipment/Shitty weapons over the Spartan Abilities. Both aspects are honestly bad ideas in general. Why do I want a Radar Jammer when my opponent is in front of me? Why do I have the ability to Slide if the ability sucks dick? So I'm about to die, lemme throw my Regenerator. I'm about to die again, lemme sprint/thrust my way out. The overall default experience I had in Halo 3 was enjoyable, could be better... but I enjoyed the experience while those shitty weird things happened to me, like TS in Snowbound. Who wants that shit? While in the other hand, Halo 5 has potential to be better than Halo 3 but the mechanics are more frustrating.

I legit enjoy more Halo 3 - Heretic BRs than Halo 5 - Truth BRs in certain aspects. IN CERTAIN ASPECTS, for example... I really really like H5's BR and I can't deny that weapon is way better than H3's. But just like Josh Holmes explained: Sprint and those abilities open more options inside the virtual battlefield, but some of those options ruin the experience for a lot of players. Competitively speaking? The game has potential, it just depends... depends of having an overall enjoyable package for the Halo fans, or being divided like Reach where the competitive settings and the default matchmaking experience were completely different. In my eyes, and in the eyes of a lot of individuals... Halo 5 doesn't look, doesn't sound and doesn't play like a Halo game.

Sure I can go ahead and curse at AR Slayer in Epitaph, but doesn't mean the whole game is the same experience as that match thanks to the different equipment and weapons. While in Halo 5, you get stuck with the same Abilities that haunts you in every single match. 

It's just my opinion. Now, the Forge in H5? It's way better. Would be cool if they get rid of the sun in Orion, Quinn disliked it so we'll see.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why do I have the ability to Slide if the ability sucks dick?

We haven't seen its full potential yet. It could be useful for sliding in a flag or bomb, idk. Slide exclusive tricks jumps or flag routes or shortcuts could be made. And I know for a fact I saw Lethul sliding around corners to throw the enemy off, not expecting him to be so low.

I think it will add more to the meta, therefore increasing the skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People are kind of forgetting that some settings can't better than the overall experience of another game. Like Halo: Reach v7 can't represent the whole Reach package when Matchmaking is a mess. v7 is great, but the rest of the game is a storm full of crap.

Halo 5 is quite close to Halo 3, but I'll take the Equipment/Shitty weapons over the Spartan Abilities. Both aspects are honestly bad ideas in general. Why do I want a Radar Jammer when my opponent is in front of me? Why do I have the ability to Slide if the ability sucks dick? So I'm about to die, lemme throw my Regenerator. I'm about to die again, lemme sprint/thrust my way out. The overall default experience I had in Halo 3 was enjoyable, could be better... but I enjoyed the experience while those shitty weird things happened to me, like TS in Snowbound. Who wants that shit? While in the other hand, Halo 5 has potential to be better than Halo 3 but the mechanics are more frustrating.

I legit enjoy more Halo 3 - Heretic BRs than Halo 5 - Truth BRs in certain aspects. IN CERTAIN ASPECTS, for example... I really really like H5's BR and I can't deny that weapon is way better than H3's. But just like Josh Holmes explained: Sprint and those abilities open more options inside the virtual battlefield, but some of those options ruin the experience for a lot of players. Competitively speaking? The game has potential, it just depends... depends of having an overall enjoyable package for the Halo fans, or being divided like Reach where the competitive settings and the default matchmaking experience were completely different. In my eyes, and in the eyes of a lot of individuals... Halo 5 doesn't look, doesn't sound and doesn't play like a Halo game.

Sure I can go ahead and curse at AR Slayer in Epitaph, but doesn't mean the whole game is the same experience as that match thanks to the different equipment and weapons. While in Halo 5, you get stuck with the same Abilities that haunts you in every single match. 

It's just my opinion. Now, the Forge in H5? It's way better. Would be cool if they get rid of the sun in Orion, Quinn disliked it so we'll see.

Great post. Few things though.

1. Ground Pound and Charge are arguably the best ability in H5's sandbox and is definitely better than all of H3's equipment.

2. Clamber and Slide are currently just sort of floating there, they don't do much. Perhaps Slide may be buffed in the future.

3. With tweaks we could see Thruster becoming a much better ability. Much more focused on gunfight variety than escaping.

Other than Sprint and Thruster's current power, I'd say H5 abilities are a lot better than H3. H5 sandbox is also miles better than H3. Map design is better but the maps themselves suffer from Sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We haven't seen its full potential yet. It could be useful for sliding a flag or bomb, idk. Slide exclusive tricks jumps or flag routes or shortcuts could be made. And I know for a fact I saw Lethul sliding around corners to throw the enemy off, not expecting him to be so low.

I think it will add more to the meta, therefore increasing the skill gap.

Yes. I'd like a good meta game to return.

Great post. Few things though.

1. Ground Pound and Charge are arguably the best ability in H5's sandbox and is definitely better than all of H3's equipment.

2. Clamber and Slide are currently just sort of floating there, they don't do much. Perhaps Slide may be buffed in the future.

3. With tweaks we could see Thruster becoming a much better ability. Much more focused on gunfight variety than escaping.

Other than Sprint and Thruster's current power, I'd say H5 abilities are a lot better than H3. H5 sandbox is also miles better than H3. Map design is better but the maps themselves suffer from Sprint.

Nope bubble was the shit, i could bounce plasma's off that ho and whenever you had a sniper in it and the enemy would try to come in. you'd just rip his face off with it.

Halo 5 definitely has the chance to have some crazy meta.

Sometimes I would use Ground Pound but deliberately aim at a wall so it wouldn't trigger. My enemy would either expect me to drop and be vulnerable or they wouldn't know where I was hovering. Stuff like this really mixes stuff up

Nope bubble was the shit, i could bounce plasma's off that ho and whenever you had a sniper in it and the enemy would try to come in. you'd just rip his face off with it.

Bubble and Drainer were the only good ones, and Bubble slowed down gameplay (fun in Social, bad in eSports), and Drainer was fucking OP rofl.

Maybe if they removed those abilities as a base trait and placed a couple orbs on the map that allow you to use those abilities.

That's where Halo 3 beats H5. I have to reserve judgement on the game as a whole though.

I guess they still beat bubble shield! And yeah power drainer was OP.

Halo 5 definitely has the chance to have some crazy meta.

Sometimes I would use Ground Pound but deliberately aim at a wall so it wouldn't trigger. My enemy would either expect me to drop and be vulnerable or they wouldn't know where I was hovering. Stuff like this really mixes stuff up

Bubble and Drainer were the only good ones, and Bubble slowed down gameplay (fun in Social, bad in eSports), and Drainer was fucking OP rofl.

Yeah, i was fucking around but i agree with you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, i was fucking around but i agree with you.

Yeah man I love Bubble for just messing around.

@@Sal1ent

Let's for a moment forget sprint, I have a few questions about Halo 5 that I would really like to be answered about guns and their identity influence.

1 - Aim down sights/Smart scope. Could you explain why you wanted to put this feature in? Zooming into a full screen scope is indescribably essential to Halo. People simple hear the "zoom in" noise of the sniper and they know what game it is. Smart scoping in Halo 5 feels clunky, and the reason why it feels clunky is because there is a delay in zooming in. In the Halo 5 beta, aside from the Sniper Rifle, I almost never zoomed in because, especially with Thruster pack, the delay caused an extremely detrimental delay in my first shot firing. I was cross-map shooting people with the DMR unscoped because zooming in took up precious time, and when people are sprinting around, I simply cannot spare that time to zoom in. Is the team considering reverting back to Halo zooming in, or at the very least removing the delay?

2 - Visibility. The other thing is the sheer lack of visibility when zooming in. The scope blocks sight and it's very frustrating, especially when every other Halo game doesn't have this feature, including your Halo 4. I honestly believe that the whole smartlink feature is detrimental to the identity of Halo. That's my opinion, but it is based upon the fact that zooming in in Halo's 1-4 have all been the same and it's characteristic and works perfectly.

3 - "Hip fire". In some of the Halo 5 videos (or maybe just one), @@Frankie mentioned "Hip fire". I believe he just meant it as a term for "gun is not zoomed in", but I just wanted to state that in Halo 1/2/3/R/4/ODST the character model ALWAYS has his/her gun up to their face, ready to fire. That's how Spartans fight in a gameplay sense. They are always running and they always have their guns up and ready to fire. No Halo game has ever had "hip fire" with the exclusion of Turret holding in Halo 3/R. I just hope that the H5 team isn't seeing it as "aimed fire" and "hip fire" as this is unheard of in Halo, nor should it be.

I would just like you to possibly speak about these as I am very concerned that Halo 5 will lose a lot of the characteristic things Halo has always had when they don't seem necessary. Halo 5 looks like it's having a little bit of an identity crisis and things like the sound design and this new ADS feature don't seem to be helping (again, that's opinion, but it's once again it's opinion based upon the design of the first 5 Halo games). It just feels like these aren't "Halo 1 things" or "Halo 2 things" it feels like they are "Halo franchise" things that shouldn't be ignored.

TL;DR: Why is ADS in the game, is the team considering revising it and could you please return the classic Halo 1/2/3 respawn sounds and the Halo 1/2/3 shield regen sound because these things are extremely well-known "identifiers" from the franchise that have been lost since.

• Upvote (+1) 9

@@Sal1ent

I assume most of the reveals in the future are going to be based around other aspects of the game. Campaign, Forge, possible Co-Op, BTB/other MP Experiences.

Will there be more Arena reveals or will we just expect information to trickle out, perhaps answered by you?

A few questions that pop into my head now are:

When will we learn about the state of Classic Objective modes?

How many maps will be in the Arena experience, will we expect any 'official' reveals? (both on-disc, Breakout, and dev-made Forge)

Will No-Sprint HCS be in the discussion?

Will the Breakout maps support modes like Slayer and possibly objective?

Spectator Mode features and reveals?

I know most if not all cannot be answered but any information regarding our preferred section of the game (Arena) is always appreciated!

Thanks for coming back. It means more than you know.

• Upvote (+1) 4