CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Like sprint has been huge for the longest time, and people are asking for answers but Josh already gave an answer. It opens up more options for a player

He didn't say which kind of options and how these are beneficial for gameplay (jetpack also opens more options for players, doesn't mean it's good).

• Upvote (+1) 3

They already have answered some of our questions, but we often dismiss what they have to say.

Like sprint has been huge for the longest time, and people are asking for answers but Josh already gave an answer. It opens up more options for a player, and it now feels like you have a greater impact because of the tradeoff of your shields not recharging.

just because they feel that way, it doesn't make them right. It opens up no new options for the player, and the trade off doesn't nothing at best, and discourages people from using sprint in a map designed around its use at worse.

I'm going to burn all my books and cry.

Spartan-II could run on average 34mph (55km/h). Kelly could run faster at 38mph.

#lored

Edit for Fun fact, master chief once ran 62mph in a training exercise and tore his Achilles tendon.

The books contradict themselves, I forgot where exactly but.. it mentions Spartan II's as being able to run 100kmph

He didn't say which kind of options and how these are beneficial for gameplay (jetpack also opens more options for players, doesn't mean it's good).

Armor Lock also opens more options for players, like fucking throwing sticky nades and hide like a bitch, melee an opponent who has a sword and hide like a bitch, or be in a bad position in a map where there are 2 opponents and hide like a little bitch until your team saves your ass.

Opening more options =/= good, in this case he said that Sprint brings more options to the gameplay but that doesn't necessarily mean its good. So I completely agree with you Rolf.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This thread has hit 900,000 views

1 Million or bust  :prayers:

Went over 500,000 views in NBA thread

Need more NBA in Halo 5 Guardians. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was thinking of adding more, but then it would potentially be detracting from specifically what Josh said and throwing my opinion in there. If you want to read my opinion, I'll post it below this. But if you are actually wanting a longer description from a developer than I don't have an answer for you and I'll agree you're right.

More options simply equals more fun for a large amount of people. Especially in a game like Halo which can be a good split screen experience as well. I feel this was more prominent in Halo 4 and Reach, but Halo 5's abilities work as well but they're not as exaggerated so I don't know if it'll have the same effect. Simply put, for a lot of people, having more variety and more choice always feel better, even if when broken down it can hurt the "pure" gameplay experience. I've said this on the forum before, but flashy stuff is fun, even if it can grow stale after a while. Stuff like E3 and PAX are great, lots of lights, music, energy. But certain journalists who are tired of that stuff can be invited to judge's week before E3 starts where they get to play all the demos without all the excess.

I feel the same way about Halo armor abilities. Even if in the grand scheme of things we get tired of them and think they are detrimental, for newer players they're really fun and cool, and definitely feels unique when you have a few friends all gathered in the same room playing together. Something that other games with similar features (Crysis, Titanfall, etc.) can't offer as easily.

Again, just for clarification, this is not anything that Josh posted, I just thought I'd shed some light on an interpretation I came up with. If you are looking for a specific developer explanation, this is not it.

just because they feel that way, it doesn't make them right. It opens up no new options for the player, and the trade off doesn't nothing at best, and discourages people from using sprint in a map designed around its use at worse.

My explanation above pretty much answers this, but I'll sum it up to be specific about what you said. Even if it hampers competitive play, and if the competitive community is tired of stuff like this, newer players/irregular players can still find it fun and may enjoy all the different options, even if it actually is detrimental. Also I disagree that it offers no new options. Having the choice between getting away quickly, or trying to be able to outshoot your opponent is an option. Whether it's a good one is a different debate, bu it's an option regardless.

Armor Lock also opens more options for players, like fucking throwing sticky nades and hide like a bitch, melee an opponent who has a sword and hide like a bitch, or be in a bad position in a map where there are 2 opponents and hide like a little bitch until your team saves your ass.

Opening more options =/= good, in this case he said that Sprint brings more options to the gameplay but that doesn't necessarily mean its good. So I completely agree with you Rolf.

Frankie said he didn't like armor lock. So we have that going for us at least.

I think more options are good. I'll use CE as an example, everyone likes being able to grenade power weapons around the map, that's an option of something to do. If you are stuck somewhere on a map, you can use a random spawn to try and confuse opponents. These are all options for stuff you can do. Now I'm not saying sprint is a good option, I'm in the camp of people who don't really want sprint. I'm just trying to argue that there is arguments that can be made for why it's in the game. If you want another explanation, I provided one replying to the other people in this post.

EDIT: I always feel my posts are too long, but I don't know if it's better to just make three different posts. More options suck.

And the new default gametype already exists

video

I'm putting you on a poster

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll take sprint over bloom any day of the week.

Total other way around for me. Bloom isn't good, but I'd take it over sprint any day of the week.

The books contradict themselves, I forgot where exactly but.. it mentions Spartan II's as being able to run 100kmph

No it does not. MC did once in a exercise.

And the new default gametype already exists

This is one of the many reasons why Halo, to me, will always be so much better than cod or any of the mutant cod's, I mean can you play a community made basketball gametype on any other shooter on console?

For me personally, I don't like sprint. The actual mechanic seems unneeded, adds to herp a derp kills, takes away from the smooth gameplay of always having your gun at attention, etc. Some people say, "Well just don't sprint" but the maps are big and if you don't sprint you're at a built in disadvantage already. I also feel like it makes the gunfights less enjoyable...I feel like I'm shooting across the grand canyon on Truth lol. I can see it making sense for BTB but arena it just ruins it for me. I still prefer the style of fast movement speed while looking like ur walking, that way you're just always running no need to hit an extra sprint button:)

The abilities, eh I can take or leave most of em. The thrust is enjoyable and I think I was suggesting this around the time of Reach actually. Some of the abilities like slide tho seem pretty pointless and tacked on. I don't think i've ever seen anyone use it for more than kicks which I guess is reason enough to have it. I don't mind the clamber either altho I miss just barely making epic jumps, felt more satisfying than hitting a button...but the new generation don't care about that stuff lol. 

Team Slayer was probably the most enjoyable game type I played out of the H5 beta. The Stronghold (is that the name I can't remember) didn't really catch my attention altho I see what they're trying to do with it. I think KOTH is a better game mode in terms of a territorial game type because 3 plots is harder to keep track of for spectating purposes and splits the action. Good for competitive plays I suppose but I feel like a more focused OBJ would be better. Oddball, KOTH, CTF, its always 1 OBJ, or one for each side at least. Breakout felt really repetitive and bland. Idk if its cuz there wasn't an OBJ or lack of shields or what, but it just feels like a very shallow game type...kinda felt like an ARAM with way less depth lol. 

62 mph is 100 kmph.

That just means that they've been able to run at 100 kmph, methinks. Not necessarily a contradiction.

I was thinking of adding more, but then it would potentially be detracting from specifically what Josh said and throwing my opinion in there. If you want to read my opinion, I'll post it below this. But if you are actually wanting a longer description from a developer than I don't have an answer for you and I'll agree you're right.

More options simply equals more fun for a large amount of people. Especially in a game like Halo which can be a good split screen experience as well. I feel this was more prominent in Halo 4 and Reach, but Halo 5's abilities work as well but they're not as exaggerated so I don't know if it'll have the same effect. Simply put, for a lot of people, having more variety and more choice always feel better, even if when broken down it can hurt the "pure" gameplay experience. I've said this on the forum before, but flashy stuff is fun, even if it can grow stale after a while. Stuff like E3 and PAX are great, lots of lights, music, energy. But certain journalists who are tired of that stuff can be invited to judge's week before E3 starts where they get to play all the demos without all the excess.

I feel the same way about Halo armor abilities. Even if in the grand scheme of things we get tired of them and think they are detrimental, for newer players they're really fun and cool, and definitely feels unique when you have a few friends all gathered in the same room playing together. Something that other games with similar features (Crysis, Titanfall, etc.) can't offer as easily.

Again, just for clarification, this is not anything that Josh posted, I just thought I'd shed some light on an interpretation I came up with. If you are looking for a specific developer explanation, this is not it.

My explanation above pretty much answers this, but I'll sum it up to be specific about what you said. Even if it hampers competitive play, and if the competitive community is tired of stuff like this, newer players/irregular players can still find it fun and may enjoy all the different options, even if it actually is detrimental. Also I disagree that it offers no new options. Having the choice between getting away quickly, or trying to be able to outshoot your opponent is an option. Whether it's a good one is a different debate, bu it's an option regardless.

Frankie said he didn't like armor lock. So we have that going for us at least.

I think more options are good. I'll use CE as an example, everyone likes being able to grenade power weapons around the map, that's an option of something to do. If you are stuck somewhere on a map, you can use a random spawn to try and confuse opponents. These are all options for stuff you can do. Now I'm not saying sprint is a good option, I'm in the camp of people who don't really want sprint. I'm just trying to argue that there is arguments that can be made for why it's in the game. If you want another explanation, I provided one replying to the other people in this post.

EDIT: I always feel my posts are too long, but I don't know if it's better to just make three different posts. More options suck.

choosing whether to run or fight always existed, except before running took skill because you could always fight. It's not anything new, and it certainly isn't a good thing that players can't do both currently when they could before.

The escaping in this game is def. the worst. It's so frustrating. inb4 "get gud"

choosing whether to run or fight always existed, except before running took skill because you could always fight. It's not anything new, and it certainly isn't a good thing that players can't do both currently when they could before.

I disagree. In older Halo games you could fight or run and fight. Now you can fight, run and fight, or just run, that's a new option. Technically you could just run in other Halo games, but there was almost no point to ever doing it unless the enemy was behind you.

Again, not saying it's necessarily great for gameplay, but if the goal is to give players the feeling of more choice then having a "move faster" option is more choice. Personally, I wouldn't mind trying Gandhi's idea of having a pistol out makes you move a bit faster. I don't know if it would be good, but it may be worth trying.

No it does not. MC did once in a exercise.

Just went back and reread that part in FoR to check, my bad. You're right.

62 mph is 100 kmph.

That just means that they've been able to run at 100 kmph, methinks. Not necessarily a contradiction.

Yeah I know I understand that. I was saying that I thought the book mentioned that Spartan 2's on average as a whole,  can run that fast. Instead of just John.

I disagree. In older Halo games you could fight or run and fight. Now you can fight, run and fight, or just run, that's a new option. Technically you could just run in other Halo games, but there was almost no point to ever doing it unless the enemy was behind you.

Again, not saying it's necessarily great for gameplay, but if the goal is to give players the feeling of more choice then having a "move faster" option is more choice. Personally, I wouldn't mind trying Gandhi's idea of having a pistol out makes you move a bit faster. I don't know if it would be good, but it may be worth trying.

you can't run and fight, not while sprint limits weapon usage. Its rust fight or just run. All it does is create two options out of one that already existed. These aren't new options, it's just another limitation on the player, forcing them to pick one or the other rather than being capable of doing both.

Your gif game ain't too bad. Lmfaoooooo

Cant get to this gold rep without having a few heater gifs up your sleeve 

they cant be here 24/7 dude lol calm down, you do this on GAF too. 

They may or may not come back and respond but dont expect them to sit here all day and respond to every one of your hundreds of posts

tumblr_lflnsoqp8C1qf4elio1_400.gif

you can't run and fight, not while sprint limits weapon usage. Its rust fight or just run. All it does is create two options out of one that already existed. These aren't new options, it's just another limitation on the player, forcing them to pick one or the other rather than being capable of doing both.

#supportshootsprint

They already have answered some of our questions, but we often dismiss what they have to say.

Like sprint has been huge for the longest time, and people are asking for answers but Josh already gave an answer. It opens up more options for a player, and it now feels like you have a greater impact because of the tradeoff of your shields not recharging.

I fully understand the design of sprint in Halo 5. Most people have been asking "why" is it in Halo 5 to begin with.

It ties back to the single player campaign. Whatever is in campaign is in multiplayer. It's always been that way since Halo CE, plus or minus a few weapons.