CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie
Please answer some of the questions that us competitive players want to know.
Tell us why you think Sprint is in the game?
Can you see how it negatively it affected the last two games being Halo Reach and Halo 4?
What does sprint bring to the table positively that you can show us?
Explain us your philosophy on why you're adding the new additions and how it makes the game more competitive?
We want to know why you make these decisions and until you answer these we will feel in the dark from a competitive standpoint.

We all want halo to succeed, but we struggle to see to success with sprint which is completely fair looking at the the last two games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, but campaign doesn't need sprint like 16v16 BTB might.

you cant possible knkw that

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie

Can you see how it negatively it affected the last two games being Halo Reach and Halo 4?

Explain us your philosophy on why you're adding the new additions and how it makes the game more competitive?

We want to know why you make these decisions and until you answer these we will feel in the dark from a competitive standpoint.

We all want halo to succeed, but we struggle to see to success with sprint which is completely fair looking at the the last two games.

Like 3 pages back there is a list of reasons they have given us, a few times. I'm sure the answer now will be the same as then.

Do spartans really run that fast? Or you making a joke lol 

That's like cheetah speed. 

Kelly can reach 64 Kph, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: "Among all active S-II personnel, Kelly maintains the quickest reflexes and is easily the fastest recorded Spartan, capable of running at speeds in excess of 65kph within current MJOLNIR GEN2 systems."

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/characters/kelly-087

By that logic, no one on TB should ever work on Halo because everyone here has different thoughts on the things that they love and hate about various entries in the franchise. There is no consistent opinion shared by everyone here on which Halo was the best and why. Likewise at 343, we have hundreds of people with differing opinions about specific aspects of Halo, past and present. A diversity of opinion is important in doing great work.

I would actually say TB has an almost unanimous decision that CE is the best game when it comes to the most competitive, deep, and entertaining Halo game. It can be played with large teams, but the most competitive is 2v2. H2 being another game that is also competitive, but seen as most competitive for 4v4 gametypes. I myself don't know enough about the intricacies of either game in order to tell you why or why not, but I know that I, myself, personally enjoy the shit out of CE. I don't know how to play like an elite player, I'll never be pro, but I know that I can do cool things that were intentional such as Quick Camo, or grenading power ups/weapons to myself. I noticed the weapon grenading made it into H5, so you guys are definitely taking notes as to what people love about the older games.

We don't want you to think people just want CEv2 or anything like that. Some do, but the real thing most people want is Halo to be the best it can be. Some believe the CEv2 is the real answer, but it doesn't have to be. People do think Thrusters are a good addition. They probably need tweaks, like shorter distance, longer cooldown, the ability to shoot while thrusting, etc... same with things like Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, and slide. They aren't inherently bad for Halo, but they could be better. I can give you my opinion if you care to hear it, and so could many other people on this site. I feel like this sort of discussion would be better since it's not a "You hate this, but we put it in anyways." discussion, or a "It sucks. Remove it." discussion.

Other things people here agree on are the things that completely take away the competitive nature of the game. You (343i) say you want Halo to be a competitive eSport, which is what everyone here would love also. We want to help you guys make the best, most competitive Halo so it can thrive, just like you would like it to. The competitive people don't understand how you can claim to want a competitive game, but put mechanics in that have been exclaimed for years as bad for Halo. There is a lot of potential in H5 for it to be the most competitive Halo since CE came out back in the day, but just as someone else pointed out... with every Halo game it always goes 2 steps forward 3 steps back. We want to help you guys take 3 steps forward followed by another 3. We are an unlimited resource that will give you advice for free and there are some people who actually have decent knowledge into what they are talking about. I would say if H5 doesn't pan out to be as successful as you hope it will be and get Halo back on the map in terms of eSports viewership and participation and online population health and lifespan, that your team seriously consider not necessarily letting people from here work for 343, but at least let the knowledgeable few (not myself) help at least guide things a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, people keep saying this. Doesn't change the fact that shooting in H2 is laughably easy (even with the super-duper strafing).

People keep saying it because it's true. And yes it does change the fact. 

Pertaining to sprint, the default difference between sprint and base speed should be about 5% with the ability to shoot while sprinting/thrust. Lower sprint speed, raise base speed. Plus custom percentage adjusters like we've had with base speed for years; this would be an original take on sprint and would probably alleviate most issues with it.

Lore wise, unlimited sprint is justified through small thrusters on the suit giving the spartan speed. So they are pretty much running at base speed increased by suit, so they could certainly shoot. Theoretically they could sprint backwards while facing forward.

Imagine.

Edit: I think these would be amazing and innovative changes. What other FPS has that version of sprint/thruster etc.

@@ZeALoTT for president

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie

Just wanted to quote for the respectably asked, intelligent questions. Why is sprint still in the game despite the impact that the two games that featured it have had on Halo's popularity?

People keep saying it because it's true. And yes it does change the fact. 

Yeah, no. The only Halo where it's easier to shoot than H2 is Halo 4 (and even the Halo 4's light rifle requires a lot more skill than the H2 BR). CE, Reach, H3 (although for the wrong reasons) and Halo 5 are all harder.

Guaranfuckingtee you that a bunch of H3 kids on waypoint would complain about moving that fast... the same people who complain about fast kill times in H5.

As a Halo 3 kid, I find the game he linked rather interesting and intriguing to play.

It's the stretching of maps that is the main problem. If 343 (or Bungie during the Reach development) had started with a FoV and average map size similar to the original trilogy, and had then designed movement mechanics that worked well in that environment, it wouldn't have completely messed up the feel and pace of the game. Not to mention keeping the legacy maps functional in future games.

I disagree, it's worst effect is the separation of movement combat, makes the player decide whether to fight or run, rather than do it at the same time. one set of players can be fightng and another will be running, instead of everyone fighting. The reason sprint is used so often defensively is because it's far more useful in that regard than it would be in an offensive situation because sprint takes away your ability to be offensive, thruster suffers from this same limitation, although thruster doesn't effect maps and can actually be a benefit to the game if this limitation is removed.

Yeah, no. The only Halo where it's easier to shoot than H2 is Halo 4 (and even the Halo 4's light rifle requires a lot more skill than the H2 BR). CE, Reach, H3 (although for the wrong reasons) and Halo 5 are all harder.

Lol that's exactly what I've been saying! 

Lore doesn't make sense because women can't run faster than men.

Apparently, my whole life is a lie.

Lol that's exactly what I've been saying! 

You said the easy-to-use BR was the main factor in Halo 4's decline. Considering that most people didn't use the light rifle (which shows the majority doesn't prefer skillful weapons) and Halo 2 was highly successful with an only slightly "better" BR I highly doubt that was the main factor. Sprint, AAs, Ordnance, the lack of a ranking system etc had a much higher impact in my opinion.

Ok, now im home from the office and I can type on a damn keyboard instead of my phone.

The point I was trying to make in my previous posts is that all of these new things in Halo 5: sprint, spartan abilities, smart scope, etc...they're all the new things in Halo 5 that integrate with story telling.

Go back and replay Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4...the single player campaigns introduce these elements into the game as part of the story...it basically defines what the spartan is for that respective game's campaign. The issue we have been having is that these single player components basically transfer 99% of the time over into multiplayer...and for competitive play...these don't always translate well. e.g., duel wielding, equipment, the reach loadout abilities, Halo 4 abilities...etc.

Now we have Halo 5 where the same thing is happening again. We have sprint, thrusters, mid-air hovering, smart scoping, sliding, ground pound, etc. Each and every one of these elements are going to play a vital role in the single player campaign. Now the ultimate question is...what business do they have in multiplayer right?

Well I can't answer that. I can give my opinion...but I'm on the side where I want to see competitive balance...and immersion takes a backseat to competitive play in my opinion.

If we must have all of these new Halo 5 features be in matchmaking...then I think the middle ground here is for day one matchmaking playlists that support classic Halo gameplay. That means a dedicated team slayer playlist, rumble slayer, team objective, etc...all using settings where spartan abilities are off, sprint is off, and anything else we deem not being part of the classic Halo experience.

The great divide will play out on its own. The players will speak for themselves and the population will decide what they want to play. What would be a stab in the back to us Halo fans though would be 343 not giving classic Halo ranked matchmaking to us on day one. I think the Halo Feedback Program surveys speak for themselves with the data they have and continue to collect as well as them lurking forums.

There is already a great divide in Halo 5 before it's even released. Many gamers want to play Halo 5 as it is and many gamers want to play Halo 5 in a more classic fashion.

That's really all there is to it. No amount of trying to dissect why 343 added sprint, or "XYZ" feature doesn't matter at this point. If Josh and Frankie can have an open discussion with us about how we would like classic Halo to be represented in Halo 5 matchmaking...lets talk.

You said the easy-to-use BR was the main factor in Halo 4's decline. Considering that most people didn't use the light rifle (which shows the majority doesn't prefer skillful weapons) and Halo 2 was highly successful with an only slightly "better" BR I highly doubt that was the main factor. Sprint, AAs, Ordnance, the lack of a ranking system etc had a much higher impact in my opinion.

Yeah I didn't mean to come off as saying the easy-to-use BR was the only problem, but it really made the game a lot worse for me because even if you stripped everything away and you were playing legendary slayer it still wasn't great. And I don't think the BR was only slightly better in H2, it was way better but we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

This thread has hit 900,000 views

1 Million or bust  :prayers:

so, we do get a lot of visitors?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This thread has hit 900,000 views

1 Million or bust  :prayers:

I wish Josh and Frank would post some replies to some of our questions and discuss.

I think we collectively as a community, at least here, just need to come up with the root of the issue (which I think I have already in my opinions posted in previous recent posts) and let them respond to it.

I honestly don't see how an answer of theirs would interfere with any spoilers.

I wish Josh and Frank would post some replies to some of our questions and discuss.

I think we collectively as a community, at least here, just need to come up with the root of the issue (which I think I have already in my opinions posted in previous recent posts) and let them respond to it.

they cant be here 24/7 dude lol calm down, you do this on GAF too. 

They may or may not come back and respond but dont expect them to sit here all day and respond to every one of your hundreds of posts

They already have answered some of our questions, but we often dismiss what they have to say.

Like sprint has been huge for the longest time, and people are asking for answers but Josh already gave an answer. It opens up more options for a player, and it now feels like you have a greater impact because of the tradeoff of your shields not recharging.