CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Your point about Assassins Creed and Batman kind of proves my point to an extent.. What does Sprinting have to do with feeling like a Spartan? That's my whole issue with this, because sprinting =/= Spartan in my eyes. (I'm very aware that that is a very black and white way of explaining it but honestly that's what it boils down to since we have not gotten any other justification on the addition of Sprint beyond feeling like a Spartan).

only thing i can think of is the halo 5 story they wrote specifically states that Spartans can sprint... beyond normal spartan running.

i mean, notice the little lines that show on the hud when youre sprinting full speed?

immersion is a hige deal in sp... but i don't think it needs to be that way in mp.

i dunno at this point, im just speculating. josh can prob provide a clearer answer but i doubt he will.

and just for the record, i hate lore... and hate when it spills into multiplayer.

basically all the halos have done this, from equipment, to the damn reach bs. if you can do it in sp... you can sure as hell expext to do it in mp.

It's the stretching of maps that is the main problem. If 343 (or Bungie during the Reach development) had started with a FoV and average map size similar to the original trilogy, and had then designed movement mechanics that worked well in that environment, it wouldn't have completely messed up the feel and pace of the game. Not to mention keeping the legacy maps functional in future games.

only thing i can think of is the halo 5 story they wrote specifically states that Spartans can sprint... beyond normal spartan running.

i mean, notice the little lines that show on the hud when youre sprinting full speed?

immersion is a hige deal in sp... but i don't think it needs to be that way in mp.

i dunno at this point, im just speculating. josh can prob provide a clearer answer but i doubt he will.

It's most likely for BTB... spartans have always been able to sprint much faster in the books and #Lore than the games.

on the midship map, i could sprint to a base window, and then jump and thrust forward to grab the top mid ledge. if toggling sprint off makes it where i cant do that... personnally id be pissdd because i thought it increased speed and flow of moving around middy.

Pretty sure ninja had made that jump during one of his no sprint days.

On the contrary, Spartans are constantly sprinting and the entire idea of a super soldier lowering his weapon to run is dumb.

Not talking about whether the weapon is raised or not... just know they can go 60+ mph in books.

It's most likely for BTB... spartans have always been able to sprint much faster in the books and #Lore than the games.

i think its obviously in sp campaign so.. ive yet to see a halo do something in sp that you cant also do in mp.

Halo 2 would like to have a word with you.

I'm not sure how which of the two games had more aim assist/bullet magnetism but I know for a fact the much faster strafe acceleration in Halo 2 made landing shots a lot harder than in Halo 4, plus you had button combos to help increase the skill gap. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

i think its obviously in sp campaign so.. ive yet to see a halo do something in sp that you cant also do in mp.

Yeah, but campaign doesn't need sprint like 16v16 BTB might. 

On the contrary, Spartans are constantly sprinting and the entire idea of a super soldier lowering his weapon to run is dumb.

I haven't browsed beyond in awhile before Frankie's arrival. But all this talk about shooting while ability-ing is getting me hype. It needs to happen, sounds so fun.

The Arena beta was an opportunity to see one portion of the MP experience and play with the core of our gameplay for H5:G. The feedback that we received from the community will make the game better and I shared in my blog the changes that we are making between now and launch. There are a ton of other tweaks, changes and additions that will be made through the natural course of development. We're trying to build the best Halo game and best overall multiplayer experience for when we release later this year.

That said, if there are deal-breakers for you in the design of the game (like sprint in any form, for example) I don't want to persuade you to buy a game that you won't enjoy.

Thanks for coming back. 

Is a 2nd beta out of the question? If there was a 2nd one, it would be cool to have a playlist without sprint since it has been talked about that you can remove sprint and other abilities in custom games. I'm still predicting a "classic" playlist at launch without any abilities for H5 but you have said before that if you don't like H5, MCC is waiting for you for a "classic halo experience" Just my thoughts.  I don't this will get answered but its worth a shot. 

I thought we werent using lore to justify gameplay mechanics 'round here? Or is your point just to refute his point about "#Lore"

Have you guys seen Toxikk? That game has a map called Twin Peaks that's huge and has vehicles every where. And even with out sprint it doesn't feel slow at all, I really don't think any casuals would even care if sprint was gone if base movement speed was really fast. I'm talking faster than CE. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have you guys seen Toxikk? That game has a map called Twin Peaks that's huge and has vehicles every where. And even with out sprint it doesn't feel slow at all, I really don't think any casuals would even care if sprint was gone if base movement speed was really fast. I'm talking faster than CE. 

Guaranfuckingtee you that a bunch of H3 kids on waypoint would complain about moving that fast... the same people who complain about fast kill times in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought we werent using lore to justify gameplay mechanics 'round here? Or is your point just to refute his point about "#Lore"

If we were using lore to justify gameplay mechanics, our Spartans would be running at 60MPH and have the ability to shoot while running.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we were using lore to justify gameplay mechanics, our Spartans would be running at 60MPH and have the ability to shoot while running.

Do spartans really run that fast? Or you making a joke lol 

That's like cheetah speed. 

I'm not sure how which of the two games had more aim assist/bullet magnetism but I know for a fact the much faster strafe acceleration in Halo 2 made landing shots a lot harder than in Halo 4, plus you had button combos to help increase the skill gap. 

Yeah, people keep saying this. Doesn't change the fact that shooting in H2 is laughably easy (even with the super-duper strafing).

The spartans are power rangers in the books.

If not that, a tiny bit slower. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holy shit guys... maybe I should go read the damn books finally. 

Edit: My first day of filling my positive vote quota since joining. <3TB

Spartan-II could run on average 34mph (55km/h). Kelly could run faster at 38mph.

#lored

Edit for Fun fact, master chief once ran 62mph in a training exercise and tore his Achilles tendon.

Pertaining to sprint, the default difference between sprint and base speed should be about 5% with the ability to shoot while sprinting/thrust. Lower sprint speed, raise base speed. Plus custom percentage adjusters like we've had with base speed for years; this would be an original take on sprint and would probably alleviate most issues with it.

Lore wise, unlimited sprint is justified through small thrusters on the suit giving the spartan speed. So they are pretty much running at base speed increased by suit, so they could certainly shoot. Theoretically they could sprint backwards while facing forward.

dank teImagine.

Edit: I think these would be amazing and innovative changes. What other FPS has that version of sprint/thruster etc.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Spartan-II could run on average 34mph (55km/h). Kelly could run faster.

#lored

I'm going to burn all my books and cry.

Pertaining to sprint, the default difference between sprint and base speed should be about 5% with the ability to shoot while sprinting/thrust. Lower sprint speed, raise base speed. Plus custom percentage adjusters like we've had with base speed for years; this would be an original take on sprint and would probably alleviate most issues with it.

Lore wise, unlimited sprint is justified through small thrusters on the suit giving the spartan speed. So they are pretty much running at base speed increased by suit, so they could certainly shoot. Theoretically they could sprint backwards while facing forward.

Imagine.

hmmmmm 5% speed in sprint  and shoot while you sprint ........ @@Sal1ent can you give it a try?? ( with 5% or a little more )