CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

i think many of you guys fail to understand the entire scope of halo 5. sprint is mkst likely going to play a huge role in the story/lore... we have seen countless interviews where 343 says they want players to feel like spartans in this game... well if theyre trying to push that feeling in single player, how do you expect it to transition to multiplayer? if they were to leave all the new stuff out of sp but it remains in mp, thats just going to confuse the hell out of people.

Let 'em leave it in Arena. 

But pro's/competitive players want to play a solid Halo game first, if we can feel like a badass spartan at the same time too, that's even better!

But the HCS isn't for cool MP battles w/ friends. Its for competitive Halo at its most intense/finest. Take out that immersion. Function > Form.

Halo 4 is the closest thing to Halo 5 in terms of sprint vs. map design; a game designed around sprint. @@Frankie said Reach, but you could play just fine without it without the need to increase the base speed.

IDK man, agree to disagree then. I really think the maps will be fine if sprint would be removed in H5. MAYBE some maps could use some tightening, but that's at its worst. 

i think many of you guys fail to understand the entire scope of halo 5. sprint is mkst likely going to play a huge role in the story/lore...

lol wat. Does the Chief start a career as an olympic sprinter?

Halo 4 is the closest thing to Halo 5 in terms of sprint vs. map design; a game designed around sprint. @@Frankie said Reach, but you could play just fine without it without the need to increase the base speed.

Reach needed a speed buff, you were slow as fuck in the default game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We do. That just does not explain why there are things like sprint in the game. No one is looking at a trailer and says "Whoa, there is sprint in the game! I need this!"

And if casual players and communities cared about sprint no one would be playing Team Slayer or any of the H2A playlists in MMC. If sprint is so passionately loved and needed by the average FPS player, why isn't everyone playing Halo 4?

And if casual players and communities cared about sprint no one would be playing Team Slayer or any of the H2A playlists in MMC. If sprint is so passionately loved and needed by the average FPS player, why isn't everyone playing Halo 4?

Not sure if this is what you're getting at but:

I don't think anybody will be turned off from watching/participating in the HCS if there is no sprint. I don't see the harm in appeasing pros/competitive players for that league/playlist. 

If thats what you're getting at ^ I agree completely. 

On the other hand, I see no harm in keeping sprint for casual playlists for those that like it/need it in shooters these days. 

sprint is here to stay  (for marketing , for inmersion , for lore , for casual , for opinions whatever) whe can turn it off for competitives setting is not a big deal is like AR gametypes and BR gametypes , AR/SMG start (sprint)..... ........they are bad (to no use a worst word)  but we had to deal with it ,  they doesn´t stop of enjoy the game (halo 3 , halo 2 days) instead of fight why not offer opinions or suggestion to improve other things of the game , like weapons balance , maps ( we can disscus  about no sprint maps) HCS settings , weapon position we can´t just stay in the same , beyond is a very good know competitive comunity lets take  adventage  of that to improve the game in things that we can , 

Not sure if this is what you're getting at but:

I don't think anybody will be turned off from watching/participating in the HCS is there is no sprint. I don't see the harm in appeasing pros/competitive players for that league/playlist. 

Yeah, if anything... removing Ground Pound, Thruster, Clamber, etc. would seem unnatural. Sprint is so passive in all of gameplay that you wouldn't notice when its gone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol wat. Does the Chief start a career as an olympic sprinter?

look at the big picture. the halo 5 story is more than likely going to introduce new advancements in the spartan suit.

like i said, i get it if thats what theyre trying to do with the whole immersion thing, but i will agree, multiplayer needs to be a beast of its own and not just a sp continuation with pvp. we can all play in the same sandbox provided that the maps support both sprint and non sprint gametypes.

thats another topic we should be discussing, will halo 5 vanilla maps support no sprint gametypes as is?

simple yes or no question. if yes, then i think we can all stop with the worrying... if no... id like to know specifically why.

look at the big picture. the halo 5 story is more than likely going to introduce new advancements in the spartan suit.

Do the new advancements consist in slowing the spartan down when someone shoots at him?

Spartans could always sprint, they were just able to shoot at the same time.

Lore should NEVER play a factor in multiplayer.

We do. That just does not explain why there are things like sprint in the game. No one is looking at a trailer and says "Whoa, there is sprint in the game! I need this!"

Don't get me wrong I agree with you.  However, they have answered this a million times (by no means do I agree with the reason to the point that I think it should stay in the game)

• there are people that do like 
  • it is keeping with modern games
  • to avoid being stagnant
  • they are a business needing to make a game that will appeal to a broad range of players

I am sure I can look through their responses and find more reasons they have given.

What I think we are looking for is an explanation of the deeper "why questions" behind the design choice.  Why the pros of sprint "appear" to be more heavily weighted than the cons it introduces?

What everyone is really trying to articulate, as I understand it, is that we want a detailed dissertation on the design decision and process of why sprint was included. As much as I would like it I am not sure we have the right to be given that

Do the new advancements consist in slowing the spartan down when someone shoots at him?

Spartans could always sprint, they were just able to shoot at the same time.

i have no idea. im focusing solely on halo 5, the now.

i think many of you guys fail to understand the entire scope of halo 5. sprint is mkst likely going to play a huge role in the story/lore... we have seen countless interviews where 343 says they want players to feel like spartans in this game... well if theyre trying to push that feeling in single player, how do you expect it to transition to multiplayer? if they were to leave all the new stuff out of mp but it remains in sp, thats just going to confuse the hell out of people.

edit, sorry i am posting on my phone... and it sucks.

No worries about the typos, I assume most of us don't really care too much as long we can make out what you're trying to say and you're usually pretty clear in your post. 

This is going to sound sarcastic but I'm actually 100% serious, but how does "Sprinting" help with story/lore and how does it translate to "Feel like a spartan"?

I can run around in real life with a gun in my hand and not being able to shoot. That doesn't mean I feel like I could take on an entire covenant fleet.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you. However, they have answered this a million times (by no means do I agree with the reason to the point that I think it should stay in the game)

• there are people that do like
  • it is keeping with modern games
  • to avoid being stagnant
  • they are a business needing to make a game that will appeal to a broad range of players

I am sure I can look through their responses and find more reasons they have given.

What I think we are looking for is an explanation of the deeper "why questions" behind the design choice. Why the pros of sprint "appear" to be more heavily weighted than the cons it introduces?

What everyone is really trying to articulate, as I understand it, is that we want a detailed dissertation on the design decision and process of why sprint was included. As much as I would like it I am not sure we have the right to be given that

at this point... why care why? lets move fwd and get an answer on whether vanilla halo 5 maps will support no sprint.

What i think we'd all like to see is actual video of the walking/sprint speeds that were changed after the beta. If sprinting is only 5% faster than walking, i feel like sprint wouldnt be so bad but still be in the game for the people who liked sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, but it wasn't necessary. You could make jumps just fine without sprint or the speed buff.

IMO sprint is definitely the biggest issue that we have for Halo 5, but to say sprint is the reason Halo 4 did poorly is wrong. I'd say personal ordnance, OP armor abilities, no descope and bad maps are all to blame. But to me the biggest reason Halo 4 failed was the complete and utter lack of a skill gap when it came to the BR. If the most essential part of the game, out shooting someone, is made so easy any one can do it then nobody will feel special getting kills. Thankfully all of these things have been fixed for Halo 5 except for sprint, but it's already better than it was in H4 and I'm confident it will get better as development continues. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

at this point... why care why? lets move fwd and get an answer on whether vanilla halo 5 maps will support no sprint.

exactly!! But I think most still want the why question answered in detail and they are hung up on that and can't move past it

No worries about the typos, I assume most of us don't really care too much as long we can make out what you're trying to say and you're usually pretty clear in your post.

This is going to sound sarcastic but I'm actually 100% serious, but how does "Sprinting" help with story/lore and how does it translate to "Feel like a spartan"?

I can run around in real life with a gun in my hand and not being able to shoot. That doesn't mean I feel like I could take on an entire covenant fleet.

ever play assassin's creed? or batman? those games specifically have gameplay mechanics to make you feel like who youre playing as.

halo 5 is just bringing that into the campaign. hell, if the first halo novel described spartans having the ability to jet pack, ground pound, sprint, float in mid air... whatever... doesnt matter, the old games simply didnt support those mechanics during their time, now they do.

and im not arguing i agree with bringing it in now, im just trying to provide my own opinion on clarification.

apparently smart scope by lore definition existed since halo ce... now theyre trying to cosmetically show that, theyre essentially bringing a more realistic effect to halo... is it good? i dunno, i dont care to feel more like a spartan, i care about gameplay over the single player stuff.

so, i still pose the question, since frank and josh lurke, will halo 5 vanilla maps support no sprint? or will they feel too big without sprint? simple yes or no.

But to me the biggest reason Halo 4 failed was the complete and utter lack of a skill gap when it came to the BR. If the most essential part of the game, out shooting someone, is made so easy any one can do it then nobody will feel special getting kills.

Halo 2 would like to have a word with you.

I'd argue Halo 4 killed competitive Halo. No ranks, SR, maps badly designed (besides sprint ruining them they were just bad maps), ordinance (no traditional halo MP), br being fucked up, etc. Not to mention Reachs launch fumbles (bloom, arena, lock, etc). 

Sprint is a large issue, but single handedly? Idk guys. It def. shouldn't be in Halo but I thought we all agreed that not having a proper ranking system and (Reach's arena, followed by SR in H4) and a large fumble of classic Halo in H4 was the biggest reason. *shrugs*

Check my response to Deucey above^

Also, I think the maps were just badly designed in general in 4. In 5 I feel like they play much better w/o utilizing sprint (like some players and myself has tested). I agree that sprint shouldnt be there, but removing it wont break the game, I think maps will be fine w/ proposed tweaks. 

My guess is your second to last sentence, thats why I think it's included. That and some consistency between the new BtB and campaign --> Arena. Like I said though, this can be solved by just removing it for HCS and let pros/competitive players vote on HCS settings. 

I'm not speaking in terms of outside mechanics like ranks, while that does enable players to find more even matches, I personally believe it's irrelevant to the downfall of competitive Halo. However, I believe that the removal of ranks and properly matched games are the catalyst of the downfall of the Halo population. There is no incentive to continue playing. At all.

I never said single handedly. It was the biggest because as you mentioned "bad maps", the result of said bad maps where the result of Sprint being in the game whether you like it or not. In my opinion from Reach and H4, the only two maps I honestly think play "OK" out of the box w/o Sprint were Zealot and Haven (and Pitfall but to be honest I didn't even know this map existed in H4 until MCC came out. I completely stopped playing H4 right after the first DLC came out). 

I'll take sprint over bloom any day of the week.

I'll take ZBNS like we had over both of those options.

What i think we'd all like to see is actual video of the walking/sprint speeds that were changed after the beta. If sprinting is only 5% faster than walking, i feel like sprint wouldnt be so bad but still be in the game for the people who liked sprint.

on the midship map, i could sprint to a base window, and then jump and thrust forward to grab the top mid ledge. if toggling sprint off makes it where i cant do that... personnally id be pissdd because i thought it increased speed and flow of moving around middy.

Remember to check your email for the survey, guys.

was a good one too

ever play assassin's creed? or batman? those games specifically have gameplay mechanics to make you feel like who youre playing as.

halo 5 is just bringing that into the campaign. hell, if the first halo novel described spartans having the ability to jet pack, ground pound, sprint, float in mid air... whatever... doesnt matter, the old games simply didnt support those mechanics during their time, now they do.

and im not arguing i agree with bringing it in now, im just trying to provide my own opinion on clarification.

apparently smart scope by lore definition existed since halo ce... now theyre trying to cosmetically show that, theyre essentially bringing a more realistic effect to halo... is it good? i dunno, i dont care to feel more like a spartan, i care about gameplay over the single player stuff.

so, i still pose the question, since frank and josh lurke, will halo 5 vanilla maps support no sprint? or will they feel too big without sprint? simple yes or no.

Your point about Assassins Creed and Batman kind of proves my point to an extent.. What does Sprinting have to do with feeling like a Spartan? That's my whole issue with this, because sprinting =/= Spartan in my eyes. (I'm very aware that that is a very black and white way of explaining it but honestly that's what it boils down to since we have not gotten any other justification on the addition of Sprint beyond feeling like a Spartan).