CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Weapons on map, no bloom, good vertical orientation, etc.It's a mutant freak hybrid.

The last sentence is accurate. It's got some similarities, but it plays nothing like traditional arena shooters.

Weapons on map, no bloom, good vertical orientation, etc.

It's a mutant freak hybrid.

Also CE map feature portals very often compared to any other Halo in the series.

I think it's unfair to assume a 1:1 relationship between people who liked sprint in Halo 5 and those that will leave for the next CoD. 

Also, I've said this many times before. I really think with a base speed increase/strafe speed increase Halo 5 will play fine. Maps weren't that big and they'll play just fine without sprint. 

IMO, of course. I really think we should wait to see how it plays w/o sprint and with the new movement changes. I think it'll be fine. 

If after all this time in these very forums you still feel sprint is okay, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

The last sentence is accurate. It's got some similarities, but it plays nothing like traditional arena shooters.

Which's what sets it apart from other games, imo.

If after all this time in these very forums you still feel sprint is okay, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

you completely read what you wanted from my post and missed my point entirely. Like... completely. 

Here it is again, simpler: If you take out sprint, add an increased movement speed and strafe, Halo 5 will play fine. 

you completely read what you wanted from my post and missed my point entirely. Like... completely. 

Here it is again, simpler: If you take out sprint, add an increased movement speed and strafe, Halo 5 will play fine. 

Go to Halo 4, increase the base speed, play on Haven (or any other small map), don't use sprint at all.

Please tell me it plays fine.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Go to Halo 4, increase the base speed, play on Haven (or any other small map), don't use sprint at all.

Please tell me it plays fine.

Was he talking about Halo 4?

Well, I mean, it plays nothing like squad shooters but it still has recharging health, reloading, only hold two weapons, grenades, etc.

You know any other Halo game with mandatory sprint?

lmao wasn't talking about that monstrosity Halo 4, but if you want to act like you know how Halo 5 is gonna play w/o sprint and those outlined movement changes, then there is seriously no point in arguing w/ someone who has their mind made up. 

Several people, I believe Saucey and some others, as well as Ninja (yeah, Ninja, I know) have played w/o sprint on these maps and they play largely fine, and thats with the slower movement speed. 

Seriously, if I was talking about Halo 4, I'd be an idiot. I'm discussing Halo 5. 

also meant to quote not downvote you, ill upvote another post to make up for it  :ghost:

@@Sal1ent make some maps without sprint in mind (at least 4 and midship) and the rest with sprint in mind (for social and btb) , make that you can shoot while you trust , reduce bullet magnetism  (no one of campaign and casual would notice) and take out sprint of hcs playlist ( that playlist must be in the release) . that is prety much all  if you would make so many people happy  :D

Agreed, even if I don't think maps need too much changing, it cant hurt to have a few tighter maps if it's easy to do. Everything else you said is spot on. Would love to see those changes. 

@@Sal1ent make some maps without sprint in mind (at least 4 and midship) and the rest with sprint in mind (for social and btb) , make that you can shoot while you trust , buff pistol , reduce bullet magnetism  (no one of campaign and casual would notice) and take out sprint of hcs playlist ( that playlist must be in the release) . that is prety much all  if do that you would make so many people happy :D

@Sal1ent @Frankie

The main question we all have is, why is sprint being kept when it ruined Reach and Halo 4 competitively? It was the defining factor between the first, massively-competitive trilogy, and the lackluster sequels to that. Halo made MLG, but MLG no longer uses Halo and it all started with Bloom and Sprint.

H5G is the most competitively-focused Halo title to date, yet you are keeping the feature that is almost single-handedly responsible for the fall of competitive Halo?

I have a really tough time wrapping my head around this, because so much of what you guys do suggest you want this game to be the most competitive possible. You are providing massive support for tournaments, are focusing on Twitch integration, have labelled the game as 'Arena', have done a multiplayer beta earlier than any other. Have made changes to gameplay already to improve the competitive value. Have hired pros. Are doing official feedback surveys with hard-hitting questions and ask for explanation in them. And are putting yourself out there on the most die-hard competitive forum out there.

With all of the above, I just don't understand how that can coexist with the want for sprint. WE NEED TO KNOW THE REAL REASON FOR KEEPING IT. Because this just make no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 4

According to my superior tastes, Reach, becaused I hate armor lock and jetpack.

tumblr_ng1qu2xanP1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Thanks for sticking around.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lets not be hyperbolic now... Sprint is not "single-handedly" responsible for the fall of competitive Halo. There were far worse offenses... but sprint was apart of it (not the only thing). 

• Upvote (+1) 2

According to my superior tastes, Reach, becaused I hate armor lock and jetpack.

Ever thought about replacing mandatory sprint with mandatory hologram?

:ghost:

Lets not be hyperbolic now... Sprint is not "single-handedly" responsible for the fall of competitive Halo. There were far worse offenses... but sprint was apart of it (not the only thing). 

No, but it's the biggest one that is still around. It only didn't look THAT bad in Reach because there were armor lock, active camo, bloom, jetpack etc.

Sprint was assuredly the worst.. I think you have it backwards. There were definitely other factors, but Sprint was by far the biggest.

Sprint was assuredly the worst.. I think you have it backwards. There were definitely other factors, but Sprint was by far the biggest.

I'll take sprint over bloom any day of the week.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@Sal1ent @Frankie

The main question we all have is, why is sprint being kept when it ruined Reach and Halo 4 competitively? It was the defining factor between the first, massively-competitive trilogy, and the lackluster sequels to that. Halo made MLG, but MLG no longer uses Halo and it all started with Bloom and Sprint.

H5G is the most competitively-focused Halo title to date, yet you are keeping the feature that is almost single-handedly responsible for the fall of competitive Halo?

I have a really tough time wrapping my head around this, because so much of what you guys do suggest you want this game to be the most competitive possible. You are providing massive support for tournaments, are focusing on Twitch integration, have labelled the game as 'Arena', have done a multiplayer beta earlier than any other. Have made changes to gameplay already to improve the competitive value. Have hired pros. Are doing official feedback surveys with hard-hitting questions and ask for explanation in them. And are putting yourself out there on the most die-hard competitive forum out there.

With all of the above, I just don't understand how that can coexist with the want for sprint. WE NEED TO KNOW THE REAL REASON FOR KEEPING IT. Because this just make no sense.

I wish sprint and all other abilities for the most part were never introduced to the series.  The decline in my playing time and interest in competitive play is a good indication of that.

The answer to your question is simple and he has answered it a million times.  They are not making the game just for us.  There are other communities and players they need to consider as well.

I am not sure why most of this community is not understanding this.

I'd argue Halo 4 killed competitive Halo. No ranks, SR, maps badly designed (besides sprint ruining them they were just bad maps), ordinance (no traditional halo MP), br being fucked up, etc. Not to mention Reachs launch fumbles (bloom, arena, lock, etc). 

Sprint is a large issue, but single handedly? Idk guys. It def. shouldn't be in Halo but I thought we all agreed that not having a proper ranking system and (Reach's arena, followed by SR in H4) and a large fumble of classic Halo in H4 was the biggest reason. *shrugs*

What other change has caused the most significant change to gameplay and map design? I understand heaps of things have changed for better or for worse over the years. But if we are talking competitive we are talking core gameplay. Which means interactions between other players and the map. Sprint, kill times, and shooting difficulty are the main three that have changed. H5G has a pretty fast killtime compared to the average of all Halo titles so I am happy with that. Aiming difficulty could be harder but with faster base movement speed and acceleration it is already going to be harder in the final version than it was in the beta. That leaves sprint, the one thing that has radically changed the way we play the game, for the worse. And we still have no reason what-so-ever for it's inclusion. All we can do is guess that it's in their to attract other FPS players to the franchise, which is redundant if the net effect is a lower player count. We are all ears.

Check my response to Deucey above^

Also, I think the maps were just badly designed in general in 4. In 5 I feel like they play much better w/o utilizing sprint (like some players and myself has tested). I agree that sprint shouldnt be there, but removing it wont break the game, I think maps will be fine w/ proposed tweaks. 

My guess is your second to last sentence, thats why I think it's included. That and some consistency between the new BtB and campaign --> Arena. Like I said though, this can be solved by just removing it for HCS and let pros/competitive players vote on HCS settings. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

What other change has caused the most significant change to gameplay and map design? I understand heaps of things have changed for better or for worse over the years. But if we are talking competitive we are talking core gameplay. Which means interactions between other players and the map. Sprint, kill times, and shooting difficulty are the main three that have changed. H5G has a pretty fast killtime compared to the average of all Halo titles so I am happy with that. Aiming difficulty could be harder but with faster base movement speed and acceleration it is already going to be harder in the final version than it was in the beta. That leaves sprint, the one thing that has radically changed the way we play the game, for the worse. And we still have no reason what-so-ever for it's inclusion. All we can do is guess that it's in their to attract other FPS players to the franchise, which is redundant if the net effect is a lower player count. We are all ears.

I am not sure why most of this community is not understanding this.

We do. That just does not explain why there are things like sprint in the game. No one is looking at a trailer and says "Whoa, there is sprint in the game! I need this!"

@@Sal1ent @@Frankie @@Deez

Things that would greatly help competitive community, without ruining other experiences:

1) Being able to shoot while thrusting would make it much more of an offensive tool.

2) A fast-killing utility weapon with a big skill gap. No flinch, recoil, or spread. I think the best candidate is the Magnum, just buff it's accuracy/range and make it a 4sk. It is much harder to use than BR or DMR, and these changes would make it a perfect weapon for competitive use. The reason "casuals" hate the BR is that almost anyone can get perfect kills with it, ruining lower level matches. Having AR + Skillful Pistol starts would be ideal, for all gametypes/playlists, including HCS. Leave lots of BRs on the map for the people who like them, same as Cov. Carbine.

3) Scaling tool in forge. To effectively use the sprint toggle, default maps would have to be shrunk. Don't know how feasible this is, but would prevent a reliance on ugly forge maps.

4) Tone down bullet magnetism for all weapons - especially sniper.

5) Increase ROF on Sniper to CE/H2 levels; Sprint makes 2sk kills impossible sometimes.

Thanks for posting guys.

Even on a casual level that just sounds super fun. Especially the shoot with ability thing. That NEEDS to be in there

i think many of you guys fail to understand the entire scope of halo 5. sprint is mkst likely going to play a huge role in the story/lore... we have seen countless interviews where 343 says they want players to feel like spartans in this game... well if theyre trying to push that feeling in single player, how do you expect it to transition to multiplayer? if they were to leave all the new stuff out of mp but it remains in sp, thats just going to confuse the hell out of people.

edit, sorry i am posting on my phone... and it sucks.

lmao wasn't talking about that monstrosity Halo 4, but if you want to act like you know how Halo 5 is gonna play w/o sprint and those outlined movement changes, then there is seriously no point in arguing w/ someone who has their mind made up. 

Several people, I believe Saucey and some others, as well as Ninja (yeah, Ninja, I know) have played w/o sprint on these maps and they play largely fine, and thats with the slower movement speed. 

Seriously, if I was talking about Halo 4, I'd be an idiot. I'm discussing Halo 5. 

Halo 4 is the closest thing to Halo 5 in terms of sprint vs. map design; a game designed around sprint. @@Frankie said Reach, but you could play just fine without it without the need to increase the base speed.