CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Like he almost mindfucked me with that nonsense".

This is literally what happened to me on twitter, like he was just saying shit and bringing up stats, I'm just sitting there like, "I legit don't even know how to proceed here", he was using the oddest arguments, and I didn't want to risk looking like an idiot, so I folded lol.

06d2ed7ba5d05eb0b1009bcbcbb4305f.png

8591e1c58404b901f5bad4f69d4f20b9.pngbb94d0e3fc0647859308c0a192c2ef92.png

I've been worrying about the geometry and playability of Def Not Derelict much more than I have been worrying how it looks.

I...I..don't...

I mean, it definitely isn't Derelict. Looks like a rehashed Damnation.

Is it referencing something else?

Am I missing something important, here?

• Upvote (+1) 1

"It's less about skill, we're not trying to build something that's just for high skilled people, we're basically trying to build something for competition and that's fun." This was in the Podcast Unlocked phone call with Quinn and Josh, very interesting listen if people have the time, it's about twenty five minutes and only available in the audio podcast. The interview starts a little after the hour mark, that quote is about 1:10:xx.

Anyway, it was a quote from Quinn when asked about the risks of focusing the game around only the super competitive crowd, and it's something that I find interesting. Not sure exactly what I think of it as of yet, but it's interesting.

it means their trying to capture the fun in competition. That, or they're just trying to pull a h4 and cater to everyone.

it means their trying to capture the fun in competition. That, or they're just trying to pull a h4 and cater to everyone.

I think it needs to cater to everyone, in that everyone needs to have fun competing, otherwise no one will compete. Think about Halo Reach and Halo 4, and lot of pros just didn't have fun competing. So perhaps the focus is making the game fun, and trying to put skillful elements around that? Kind of like how Halo CE was a party shooter apparently, and it was built to be fun, and the competitive stuff was more of an afterthought.

So if Halo 5 was built to be incredibly fun, so at least everyone enjoys playing it whether they're trying to compete or not, then they can focus on skillful stuff to add on to it? I don't know. This is a potential interpretation of the quote, that was more what I was thinking of when I said I don't know exactly what I think of it.

Project Contingency, I don't know too much about it but it seems to be a freeware PC game in development that's pretty much Halo.

Here's a link http://www.project-contingency.net/

Just a heads up, any screens Sitri posts is not Project Contingency. What he's doing isn't even Halo related

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it needs to cater to everyone, in that everyone needs to have fun competing, otherwise no one will compete. Think about Halo Reach and Halo 4, and lot of pros just didn't have fun competing. So perhaps the focus is making the game fun, and trying to put skillful elements around that? Kind of like how Halo CE was a party shooter apparently, and it was built to be fun, and the competitive stuff was more of an afterthought.

So if Halo 5 was built to be incredibly fun, so at least everyone enjoys playing it whether they're trying to compete or not, then they can focus on skillful stuff to add on to it? I don't know. This is a potential interpretation of the quote, that was more what I was thinking of when I said I don't know exactly what I think of it.

it can pretty much go both ways IMO.

about what @@Deez said on IGN... Fun =/= Easy

Game is supposed to be fun and competitive instead of easy and competitive, and I think it definitely fits that description.

Side Note: Breakout needs to have more time in between rounds. Add a round ending killcam for hype and allow time for commentators (if it was used for HCS, which it should be) to talk about strategies and ideas for the upcoming round. During the beta, there was hardly any time to recuperate between rounds. Breakout should and can be a very strategy oriented gametype and adding additional time between rounds will help foster that idea.

Just a heads up, any screens Sitri posts is not Project Contingency. What he's doing isn't even Halo related

Oh really? I saw someone else reference it earlier and responded to him about it, so I just assumed. Nevermind then @@Kreig556 apparently I'm mistaken.

about what @@Deez said on IGN... Fun =/= Easy

Game is supposed to be fun and competitive instead of easy and competitive, and I think it definitely fits that description.

Side Note: Breakout needs to have more time in between rounds. Add a round ending killcam for hype and allow time for commentators (if it was used for HCS, which it should be) to talk about strategies and ideas for the upcoming round. During the beta, there was hardly any time to recuperate between rounds. Breakout should and can be a very strategy oriented gametype and adding additional time between rounds will help foster that idea.

they want the game to be easy and competitive? Who are these people?

I...I..don't...

I mean, it definitely isn't Derelict. Looks like a rehashed Damnation.

Is it referencing something else?

Am I missing something important, here?

It's definitely not Derelict. Why would I lie to you?

• Upvote (+1) 1

you're acting suspicious here... but i kinda like it.

WHAT IS GOING ON

YOU ARE UP TO SOMETHING

YOU'RE PROBABLY TRYING TO GET ME SPAWN TRAPPED ON BOTTOM SPAWN, AREN'T YOU

I'M NOT CRAZY

YOU'RE CRAZY

If were turning off sprint we need arena designed maps, we cant use these giant ones and we clearly dont only want to use forge again.

Development of the HCS settings woking with pros as much as possible, to help introduce others to the competive side sort of like LoL does, promoting it on the game etc.

The split as always of the casual community and the competive community because we have to change so much to make it work.

We just want a base competitive game, that can be played by everyone with a good rank matching system both of those were the main thing that would benefit the series.

Base competitive games helps everyone, the game is fun for everyone, it will yeild high views, and it will last long.

Dude, it does not matter what halo you start from. What matters is how logical you are. Kukikrunch says he is from 3/reach but he now understands what is ruining Halo while there are people who started in CE that support sprint.

You are not smarter than someone because you played Halo before him. You are only informed and experienced. As long as you explain to them why Halo this, and why Halo that, as long as they are logical enough, they will understand. Not all casuals are stupid. We all started as one.

True, unless you started in Quake 3: Arena. Then you have the right to lord your status over all the scrublords playing the fps equivalent of a mini-van. B)  

Gamers are babied today to a fault, back in the day you were thrown into the gauntlet of hardcore games without any crutches or Wikipedia guides to save you, and you either survived or were the literal free kills of good players and would remain there until you L2P. Nobody experiences that painful process of getting beat down week after week until they finally improve their skills and stop playing like a scrub in modern shooter games. Why do you think most of the great FPS pro gamers come from old-school games still? Its more about "grinding" XP than it is dedicating yourself to getting good and learning the intricacies of the game or joining a clan or community of similar skilled players and learning the game that way. 

People RESPECTED the FPS genre as one of, if not the most comp gaming genre. EVERYONE knew and FEARED the top clans or players in that particular game whether it be Quake, UT, RS, CS 1.6.ect.. you would never see the level of disrespect from the lower skilled players to the skilled players because there was a hierarchy in those games of skill that was admired and respected. Modern shooter games are like communist countries where good players are looked at as "jesters" for the casuals and the devs want to give every player the power right off the bat that used to only belong to the upper echelon of players. We are no longer the "kings" we once were. Its not the same, there was basically no casuals playing core games or ******-friendly games like modern CoD to cut your teeth on. We are in the bronze age of Comp FPS gaming, although another golden age might be in sight.

Source: 8+years clan player in UT 99'/U2k3/Ut2k4,Quake III, H2, RS: Rogue Spear.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I'm thinking whatever the "larger" part of Halo 5 multiplayer is wont have fair starts.

During the Podcast Unlocked interview @@Deez says at 1:11:10 says about the Arena multiplayer portion "It's less about being a gate of 'Are you high skill enough?' 'No then go some where else.' and more about 'Do you like competition and fair starts?' 'Then this is the mode for you'"

No if it's like Halo Reach's Invasion game type with loadouts like BR/Magnum, AR/Magnum and SMR/Magnum; then I wouldn't be too upset. However if you can spawn with a plasma pistol or plasma grenades then I think vehicle gameplay will be dead on arrival in Halo 5. 

Some more things to note about the Podcast Unlocked interview:

• They are working to improve the maps with small things such as spawning and weapon placement but also the geometry of the maps themselves.
  • Changes to the Spartan Abilities, they specifically mention tweaks to the recharge rate with thrusters.
  • @@Deez is pretty happy about how much better the ground pound controls are, confirming ground pound is no longer connected to the crouch button.
  • Not really a surprise here but the Warthog, Scorpion and Banshee are all confirmed to be in the game. 
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I couldn't watch more than like 3 minutes. It didn't take long to figure out that he was a 343 fanboy type Halo fan, and then I took a quick peak at the comments and saw him defending sprint in Halo by saying "it's good for Halo because I like it. You can't argue against that because it's my opinion".

Cool. Guess what guys? An invincibility perk would be good for Halo because I would like it. You couldn't possibly come up with logical arguments against such a perk when someone out there is confirmed to want it in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not going to lie this dude has me stumped at this point. Would really appreciate if someone could jump in lol.

Where are you debating with him?

Edit: Never mind. I just saw the comment you made after that.

And wow, I'm just listening to that podcast, and someone literally just said they like how players can more easily run away in Halo with sprint. And he said in response to people who don't like it that if someone is successfully running away from them, then they just need to "shoot better".

Where are you debating with him?

Edit: Never mind. I just saw the comment you made after that.

And wow, I'm just listening to that podcast, and someone literally just said they like how players can more easily run away in Halo with sprint. And he said in response to people who don't like it that if someone is successfully running away from them, then they just need to "shoot better".

who the devs said this?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

who the devs said this?

I think it was about 1 hour 40 mins into it but I'm not sure who said it. It was just some IGN dude I think.

Edit: Sorry, 42 mins in is where they start talking about it. 0:44:35 is where the guy makes those comments.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/b/1/0/b108be7e7c770193/Podcast_Unlocked_Episode_182.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8430d7cb5c5d78&c_id=8344804

I think it was about 1 hour 40 mins into it but I'm not sure who said it. It was just some IGN dude I think.

Edit: Sorry, 42 mins in is where they start talking about it. 0:44:35 is where the guy makes those comments.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/b/1/0/b108be7e7c770193/Podcast_Unlocked_Episode_182.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06ca8430d7cb5c5d78&c_id=8344804

ok, I had a mini heart attack, I thought the devs were saying that.

I thougth KMarts ceast to exist like 5 years ago.   learn something new everyday.

They've been assimilated into Sears Holdings... Which means doomed regardless of whatever turnaround heh.

Maybe Halo 5 will be sold half off at any remaining K-Mart.

• Downvote (-1) 1