CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This guy who made that Don't Be Manipulated video has to be kidding... He sat there and went back and forth with everyone telling people "But can you provide logical arguments?" Then I go on his video and clearly disprove majority of his logic with that of my own.. And without even as much a debate he decides to stop arguing with me because he can't think of anyway to disprove so he tells me "Well, while I appreciate your arguments, you don't agree with me so... Have a fun day!" (paraphrased because that's basically what he said to me) without as much as an attempt to disprove me and I'm surprised no one brought up the crap that he stated in the video until I posted on it.

Like I think the dude is intelligent; I think the guy has the mental capacity to hold a debate. The problem is that he doesn't want to debate with someone that disproves his logic.

where?

Instead of putting blame on us (one of the few true Halo communities actually left now), why not look at the root of the issue in recent years that have caused a decline in players and halo websites. Feel free to take a look back if your memory getting groggy.

Also, we have a great relationship with the r/Halo staff and our content does pretty well over there too.

So yea.

Ok, great! I did not know about the connection between us and r/halo. But we cannot deny our community is pretty fucking hard to fit into for casual Halo fans. It takes more than familiar game settings between hcs and default for a casual to fit in more easily. So, beyond is the main site/ comm for competitive halo, right? If I were new to competitive halo, Id fear this community to be honest. And that is not good.

I just dislike seeing wars between us and others. because that will only hurt us. thats all, man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This guy who made that Don't Be Manipulated video has to be kidding... He sat there and went back and forth with everyone telling people "But can you provide logical arguments?" Then I go on his video and clearly disprove majority of his logic with that of my own.. And without even as much a debate he decides to stop arguing with me because he can't think of anyway to disprove so he tells me "Well, while I appreciate your arguments, you don't agree with me so... Have a fun day!" (paraphrased because that's basically what he said to me) without as much as an attempt to disprove me and I'm surprised no one brought up the crap that he stated in the video until I posted on it.

Like I think the dude is intelligent; I think the guy has the mental capacity to hold a debate. The problem is that he doesn't want to debate with someone that disproves his logic.

I found your posts on YouTube and you absolutely desroyed him. I've checked the numbers myself and the infographic is accurate. His arguments are absolutely horrible and I'm glad that you took the time to prove him wrong. Even though he wont admit he was wrong, other people will read it and agree with you at least.

Ok, great! I did not know about the connection between us and r/halo. But we cannot deny our community is pretty fucking hard to fit into for casual Halo fans. It takes more than familiar game settings between hcs and default for a casual to fit in more easily. So, beyond is the main site/ comm for competitive halo, right? If I were new to competitive halo, Id fear this community to be honest. And that is not good.

I just dislike seeing wars between us and others. because that will only hurt us. thats all, man.

This is like watching someone throw a brick through a house window and then blame the house for not being inviting enough.

Casuals have always, always, always hated the competitive community. Just playing the game seriously is blasphemy to many of them. Bring up the fact that people play it for money and suddenly you are a no life loser who should probably kill themselves. You think the xxMLGPRO360NOSCOPE420BLAZEITxx meme is flattering?

When we propose changes like "no sprint" they get mad because they think we are trying to make the game competitive and to them "competitive" means "less fun". They don't understand that game design needs to be top down and play well at the highest levels or it wont be fun for anyone.

So you see, there is nothing we can do. They wouldn't like us no matter what we did.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ready Up Live is a cancer.

Because a few staff members have different opinions than you? You can do better than that.

Not everyone on RuL carries the same opinion, anyways.

I work over there and took every Halo poll and the survey to vote away sprint/aa/thrust etc....

My opinions about what Halo should be are more in line with the Beyond community, and that's why I'm here as well.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Because a few staff members have different opinions than you? You can do better than that.

I work over there and took every Halo poll and the survey to vote away sprint/aa/thrust etc....

My opinions about what Halo should be are more in line with the Beyond community, and that's why I'm here as well.

This, I've met quite a few RUL staff members and they are friendly and great, yea there may be some that do video content there that we disagree with or even find annoying but no need to group those under the rest.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is like watching someone throw a brick through a house window and then blame the house for not being inviting enough.

Casuals have always, always, always hated the competitive community. Just playing the game seriously is blasphemy to many of them. Bring up the fact that people play it for money and suddenly you are a no life loser who should probably kill themselves. You think the xxMLGPRO360NOSCOPE420BLAZEITxx meme is flattering?

When we propose changes like "no sprint" they get mad because they think we are trying to make the game competitive and to them "competitive" means "less fun". They don't understand that game design needs to be top down and play well at the highest levels or it wont be fun for anyone.

So you see, there is nothing we can do. They wouldn't like us no matter what we did.

Who were you before you got into competitive Halo? Im sure you didn't really know what it even was, right? Were you the one making fun of xxMLGPRO360NOSCOPE420BLAZEITxx? no. So why are you assuming every casual is a dick? We were once them, so isn't it at least possible that there are lots of them left? The ones who make fun of us has to do with their [/background]personality. Not experience. I started in h3/reach. They called me a reach kid just because I decided to try out competitive halo. It was hard as fuck to fit in but look where I am now. I mean, I still kinda suck but thats another topic.

When you exclude Casuals in general, remember you're also excluding the ones with potential.

edit: please ignore the highlights and different text sizes. they mean nothing. idk how it happened.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who were you before you got into competitive Halo? Im sure you didn't really know what it even was, right? Were you the one making fun of xxMLGPRO360NOSCOPE420BLAZEITxx? no. So why are you assuming every casual is a dick? We were once them, so isn't it at least possible that there are lots of them left? The ones who make fun of us has to do with their [/background]personality. Not experience. I started in h3/reach. They called me a reach kid just because I decided to try out competitive halo. It was hard as fuck to fit in but look where I am now. I mean, I still kinda suck but thats another topic.

When you exclude Casuals in general, remember you're also excluding the ones with potential.

edit: please ignore the highlights and different text sizes. they mean nothing. idk how it happened.

It happened because you are a reach kid.

But in all seriousness. Even back to the MLG days people would judge you based on what year you joined the forums. The competitive Halo community has been pretty judgmental. I will say though that sometimes that judgement isn't wrong. If your first Halo game (not competitively, but just in general) is Halo Reach your ideas of what makes Halo Halo will be way different than someone's who has played since 2001 and in my opinion/experience those people's opinions are generally pretty awful. 

Fine, I'll rephrase. 

The ones who pull the majority of the views at RUL (with specific regard to Halo) are a cancer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It happened because you are a reach kid.

But in all seriousness. Even back to the MLG days people would judge you based on what year you joined the forums. The competitive Halo community has been pretty judgmental. I will say though that sometimes that judgement isn't wrong. If your first Halo game (not competitively, but just in general) is Halo Reach your ideas of what makes Halo Halo will be way different than someone's who has played since 2001 and in my opinion/experience those people's opinions are generally pretty awful.

Sigh...

Original Halo CE players know best, that's how it is( Unless they have sold out). Casuals should have no say in gameplay mechanics or else we end up like where we are today. All games trying to act like Cod. Casuals just need a progression system and a few fancy armor pieces to keep them happy, don't forget the lore.

Anyways any mention of competitive gameplay scares casuals. It's best to disregard them.

• Downvote (-1) 2

On the YouTube video.

he actually commented back trying to explain himself.

Sigh...

Original Halo CE players know best, that's how it is( Unless they have sold out). Casuals should have no say in gameplay mechanics or else we end up like where we are today. All games trying to act like Cod. Casuals just need a progression system and a few fancy armor pieces to keep them happy, don't forget the lore.

Anyways any mention of competitive gameplay scares casuals. It's best to disregard them.

Original Halo CE players don't always know best either. A lot of them are smart, but they can say stupid shit (I believe Ogre 2 was the one claiming that bloom in Reach was going to be great). You don't have to disregard the casual players necessarily, you just can't base your whole design philosophy on appeasing them because in they generally don't give a shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh snap. Beyond going places

Start at 52:58

In case anyone doesn't know why they were laughing when Ryan said TeamBeyond.net, IGN runs a podcast called Beyond that goes through Playstation news, and one of their things is whenever someone says Beyond they all shout "Beyond", so when the two guys on the right heard it they were thinking of saying it.

It's pretty cool that they gave a shoutout to this site, I remember awhile back there was a different acclaimed site that may have taken snippets of an interview Beyond did and posted it without giving credit.

Sigh...

Dude, it does not matter what halo you start from. What matters is how logical you are. Kukikrunch says he is from 3/reach but he now understands what is ruining Halo while there are people who started in CE that support sprint.

You are not smarter than someone because you played Halo before him. You are only informed and experienced. As long as you explain to them why Halo this, and why Halo that, as long as they are logical enough, they will understand. Not all casuals are stupid. We all started as one.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I found your posts on YouTube and you absolutely desroyed him. I've checked the numbers myself and the infographic is accurate. His arguments are absolutely horrible and I'm glad that you took the time to prove him wrong. Even though he wont admit he was wrong, other people will read it and agree with you at least.

yeah I read your comments, good stuff.

Man, the guy needs a dose of reality. He rants about this whole info-graphic being a logical fallacy but half the crap in the video he states is full of absolute nonsense.. His sound argument with me is that we didn't have netflix and fucking snapchat back then lol.. I'm like are you kidding me?  :lol: I'm like, that point is completely iirrelevant because you're bringing fads that are prominent today but weren't back then.. I can make the same argument with things that were prominent in that era as opposed to today (which I did).

Like I said before though, I don't think the guy is a straight up idiot.. But he's doing exactly what he made a video about which is media manipulation and persuading users to think in only the context of his ideals. Well sorry. I'm not a fucking sheep and I have a brain to argue his dumb ass points with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man, the guy needs a dose of reality. He rants about this whole info-graphic being a logical fallacy but half the crap in the video he states is full of absolute nonsense.. His sound argument with me is that we didn't have netflix and fucking snapchat back then lol.. I'm like are you kidding me?  :lol: I'm like, that point is completely iirrelevant because you're bringing fads that are prominent today but weren't back then.. I can make the same argument with things that were prominent in that era as opposed to today (which I did).

Like I said before though, I don't think the guy is a straight up idiot.. But he's doing exactly what he made a video about which is media manipulation and persuading users to think in only the context of his ideals. Well sorry. I'm not a fucking sheep and I have a brain to argue his dumb ass points with.

well it has more dislikes than likes, so I'd say most people can see through his bs.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I stopped listening when he said you can't compare Halo 3 to Halo 5 because they're different games. Like, really? He actually used that as an argument.

I have no idea why people watch him after that video he made praising Halo 4 and saying people who wanted classic Halo needed to adapt. He lost all credibility. 

Exactly a point I brought up!! I'm like "... WHAT?!" "What you're seeing here is correlation without causation." Like he almost mindfucked me with that nonsense.

I almost stopped when he said there were commitments during the H5 Beta such as "Jimmy get off Halo and come downstairs for dinner with Grandma." I'm like THAT is your reasoning?! I would've argued the school thing a little more to be honest even though I know schools (at least in my area) were still out during the beta at least for the first week. But he backed off and went to talk more about Netflix, Snapchat, and phones which I assume was the meat and potatoes of his argument.

• Upvote (+1) 1

06d2ed7ba5d05eb0b1009bcbcbb4305f.png

8591e1c58404b901f5bad4f69d4f20b9.pngbb94d0e3fc0647859308c0a192c2ef92.png

I've been worrying about the geometry and playability of Def Not Derelict much more than I have been worrying how it looks.

What game/mod is this for?

It takes a "special" kind of people to come up with Halo 4's UI when you have the interface of Reach as a basis.

FUCKING THIS THIS THIS x1000000
  • Upvote (+1) 1

"It's less about skill, we're not trying to build something that's just for high skilled people, we're basically trying to build something for competition and that's fun." This was in the Podcast Unlocked phone call with Quinn and Josh, very interesting listen if people have the time, it's about twenty five minutes and only available in the audio podcast. The interview starts a little after the hour mark, that quote is about 1:10:xx.

Anyway, it was a quote from Quinn when asked about the risks of focusing the game around only the super competitive crowd, and it's something that I find interesting. Not sure exactly what I think of it as of yet, but it's interesting.