CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Make it so you can't shoot grenades out of air until they're far enough away that they don't damage the thrower.

Boom. Problem solved.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm surprised nobody (that I've seen) here has brought this up, but there is some data that's suggestive on H5 player retention.  It was on H Reddit and Waypoint, but there wasn't much discussion of how to break down the stats that were provided by 343 (see below for a decent discussion).

Bottom line: your average Halo 3 beta participant played almost 6 times longer than your average Halo 5 beta participant (2.5 hours per H5 player vs. 14.5 hours per H3 player) over a 3 week period of time. I didn't see the citation for the H3 stats, so I'm just assuming they're accurate.  The other thing worth noting is that it appears 343 is counting each round of Breakout as a match in their statistics.  I read this as players who tried H5 didn't spend that much time playing it, at least compared to H3.  This obviously doesn't bode well, but at the same time I don't remember how many maps and game types H3 Beta had and how fair of a comparison that is.

2yopc2o.jpg

For a run down of the numbers go here:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/h5beta-vs-h3beta-caboose-wrong-chx-right/c3368688-aed2-4611-bd02-d348dfd20186/posts

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/h5beta-vs-h3beta-halo-fans-don-t-want-to-play-h5/2fb2f607-f469-4435-8199-2e631767fbed/posts

343 H5 Original Beta Stats page:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/how-fans-helped-shape-the-multiplayer-of-halo-5-guardians

Number of unique players (1 Million):

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-undergoing-major-changes-after-beta-feedbac/1100-6425109/

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's pretty amazing. Hard to say how fair of a comparison the stats are, but if we are actually comparing apples to apples, the results are pretty discouraging. Halo 5 had MORE players and LESS gameplay by a considerable margin.

Considering how terrible the maps were for Halo 3 beta just makes it worse.

amen. I've been complaining about this since Halo 4.

It's been happening since Halo 2.

What pisses me off about the grenade thing is that it makes TOTAL SENSE. 

How the hell can they do something that makes TOTAL SENSE one minute, then turn around and do five other things that make NO SENSE AT ALL the next. 

Well where is the lore or immersion? When I shoot a grenade it should explode. Also spartans are super soldiers why shouldn't they be able to sprint :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's pretty amazing. Hard to say how fair of a comparison the stats are, but if we are actually comparing apples to apples, the results are pretty discouraging. Halo 5 had MORE players and LESS gameplay by a considerable margin.

Considering how terrible the maps were for Halo 3 beta just makes it worse.

I liked high ground.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

That's exactly what I thought. When I first saw the SAs (before playing H5), I thought "well, at least if we don't like them we can turn them off in customs, right? How could they not add toggles?". I was forgetting I was talking about the company that completely decimated custom options in Halo 4, but I thought they would learn from that obvious mistake. I wouldn't think they would need any community feedback to simply add toggle options.

That's why I don't chalk this up as much as a win. This should just be something expected of 343i. Like when they announced that we'd have equal starts and all that jazz. That's great, but it should be EXPECTED of a Halo game.

Is it really progress when it is downright common sense to add this in the first place? And if common sense is considered "progress", who exactly are we dealing with?

We're dealing with people who hate Halo. So why would they make a proper Halo game.

How I feel about toggle and HCS

scsc.gif

@@Saucey - I dont know how you do it mang. I expected this type of thread a little closer to release (when there is something actually substantial to support 343 on).  And in all honesty, I had assumed even prior to a "survey" that they were going to allow a toggle option regardless for custom games, or a "no sprint" playlsit.  Maybe I am just crazy, but I thought that would be a given.  We also know, (you included) that that will not solve the problem.   I am also confused about you bringing up the point of HCS events.  On Bomb Planted - you guys went on and on at length about all the things needed for HCS to succeed (all of which I agreed with).  Now you know, you cant just put a blanket statement like, "money is behind HCS" and expect us to jump on the 343 hype train, especially after you are in agreement with the numerous corrections that need to be implemented.  Come on man - you know I am with you, I have appreciated the transparancey - but if you are getting PM's from someone asking you to help improve 343's image - and then posting threads like this - you better tell us! lol (and they better be paying you). 

Haha no dms man, no paid promotion! The things I am saying are not really even compliments and I still think sprint should be out of the game.  Money is behind the HCS: That is a fact, and frankly it is better than something like "AGL" dominating the scene.  However the structure for SURE needs work like we mentioned on Bomb Planted.

Not trying to get anyone on a "Hype Train" at all.  I do not think toggle is the answer, the HCS needs to be re-structured, and MCC needs to be fixed. 

Also rent is too damn high.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haha no dms man, no paid promotion! The things I am saying are not really even compliments and I still think sprint should be out of the game.  Money is behind the HCS: That is a fact, and frankly it is better than something like "AGL" dominating the scene.  However the structure for SURE needs work like we mentioned on Bomb Planted.

Not trying to get anyone on a "Hype Train" at all.  I do not think toggle is the answer, the HCS needs to be re-structured, and MCC needs to be fixed. 

Also rent is too damn high.

Roger that brother.  I dont disagree with what you are saying - but in the most non PC way I can put it, I think you "blew your wad" a little early with this thread.  Shouldve saved it for when we get something more concrete to really celebrate.  (or that is what you were going for, knowing that we may not receive anymore good news at all - can u see the future?)

Either way, im down for letting little victories shine. But you wont win me over you weasle! :saucey:  343 aint gonna get me again!

I was very pleased to hear they are adding the ability to toggle sprint on and off in the settings. If they do that with spartan abilities also, this game can ship with real potential. It is better than them doing this months after release....definitely one of the benefits of a beta. I remember how much fun I was having in Reach when they put in NBNS so I am open to this.

It's been happening since Halo 2.

I don't think it happened as frequent as it did in Halo 5. I said Halo 4 because that's when it really started to show up a lot more then previous Halo's, and 343i still didn't fix it in the beta which I am happy that they finally caught!

no one tries to shoot grenades on purpose out of the air...no one...it's a dumb feature and i'm glad it's removed...

Hyena does. And he does it well.

Legendary SPNKR, Legendary Sword.... Legendary CE pistol???? I don't see this not happening. And if they do, will we use that as the utility weapon for tourneys?

• Upvote (+1) 1

For a montage...

Going for montage clips is a great way to pass time when bored or just want to have some crazy fun aside from playing competitive games.

Going for montage clips is a great way to pass time when bored or just want to have some crazy fun aside from playing competitive games.

Going for ridiculous clips or clips in general are why some people play period.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Make it so you can't shoot grenades out of air until they're far enough away that they don't damage the thrower.

Boom. Problem solved.

Doesn't work either. Happened to me all the time when I was turning around to 4 someone, and instead of shooting him I accidentally shot his flying grenade. It does not belong honesty.

I do not understand the overwhelming negativity and pessimism regarding Halo 5. All I see is hate and rage emanating from people, and while they deserve to be criticized for a substantial portion of their decisions, they've done some things right and get roasted for it anyway.

I PERSONALLY had fun playing the Halo 5 beta. It was the first time I had FUN playing Halo since ZBNS. I do not mean fun as in perfect: I still hated sprint, I disliked the spartan charge, lag on the ADS, overpowered automatic weapons etc. However, on the whole, the shooting skill made up for so many deficiencies. So many times I just outskilled people because shooting was finally remotely difficult. That made all the difference in the world to me. Getting "Perfect" and then "reversal" on a consistent basis, against people worse than me, when I SHOULD be getting them, was SO refreshing. Shooting felt so good. Better than anything in a long time.

And they've actually changed some things for the better. They've increased strafe acceleration, upped movement speed, decreased sprint AND added a toggle. Am I the only one that thought a toggle would NEVER happen? Such a huge first step in my eyes.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I didn't read through all these posts, just the first few... I don't have a lot of time lately.

But! I wanted to post about my opinion on this update! I am actually very excited. Disappointed ADS is still there, but the game is moving in our direction a little. Just as Saucey said, it was a win on our part!

I was completely decided I wasn't going to get Halo 5, I quit following Halo and stopped coming here as frequently. I randomly hopped on after work (another reason I haven't been on as much), and seen a headline about the updated Halo 5 multiplayer. I was very happy when I read it.

C'mon, ghandi hopping back? Toggle options on many of the imo stupid abilities, especially sprint? This is great! I'm very happy to see that we made a difference and I'm sure the pro's and Bravo that work there, (that everyone was smashing), also had a large part to play into that decision. I was giving up because a lot of this community seemed selfish, your way or no way. But I think a compromise to appeal to both communities is a wonderful thing. Let the casuals play what they want, and let us hardcore gamers play what we want.

Before this turns into a longer post I'm just going to sum it up. I'm pretty happy with the changes they made, and I have hope that Halo 5 won't be complete trash after all. There is still a lot I don't like, but we have to take it in steps. I'm going to try and check back in day to day or so. My business started picking up and things have been hektic the last couple weeks. But now I have hope for Halo again, something that small and simple, that they didn't completely ignore us. yay

Did his stupid ass really call us legacy fans? Are you fuckin serious? Seriously, fuck you Josh.

He thinks the entire Halo fan base including their Personal Armytm/PR Drones are idiots.

I'm not surprised he talks about us like we're clearance merchandise. Next thing you know they'll call casuals "Followers".

• Upvote (+1) 3

Legendary SPNKR, Legendary Sword.... Legendary CE pistol???? I don't see this not happening. And if they do, will we use that as the utility weapon for tourneys?

It was my understanding that only power weapons would be getting legendary variants. And even if that did happen, the precision weapon sandbox would be spread to wide imo. It would definitely be cool though.

Doesn't work either. Happened to me all the time when I was turning around to 4 someone, and instead of shooting him I accidentally shot his flying grenade. It does not belong honesty.

I do not understand the overwhelming negativity and pessimism regarding Halo 5. All I see is hate and rage emanating from people, and while they deserve to be criticized for a substantial portion of their decisions, they've done some things right and get roasted for it anyway.

I PERSONALLY had fun playing the Halo 5 beta. It was the first time I had FUN playing Halo since ZBNS. I do not mean fun as in perfect: I still hated sprint, I disliked the spartan charge, lag on the ADS, overpowered automatic weapons etc. However, on the whole, the shooting skill made up for so many deficiencies. So many times I just outskilled people because shooting was finally remotely difficult. That made all the difference in the world to me. Getting "Perfect" and then "reversal" on a consistent basis, against people worse than me, when I SHOULD be getting them, was SO refreshing. Shooting felt so good. Better than anything in a long time.

And they've actually changed some things for the better. They've increased strafe acceleration, upped movement speed, decreased sprint AND added a toggle. Am I the only one that thought a toggle would NEVER happen? Such a huge first step in my eyes.

after h4 I expected a toggle.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

He thinks the entire Halo fan base including their Personal Armytm/PR Drones are idiots.

I'm not surprised he talks about us like we're clearance merchandise. Next thing you know they'll call casuals "Followers".

Didn't see this, but... Considering how much we curse and hate on 343, why would he show us respect?

Personally, when someone talks down on me, I ignore them and treat them like dirt. I show them no respect whatsoever.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Out shooting people is a huge deal, but for myself and I suspect a lot of others the amount of trash piled on top that single redeeming feature kinda dulls the glow.

It's kinda like Reach again honestly. I'm sure once you strip off/tweak the armor abilities, add in a classic scope option (god I hope this happens) etc the game will play fantastically a la NBNS.

With that said after 10 years of subpar games I'm probably not down to deal with another Reach. We're already talking about using the spring toggle to create our own settings. Is anyone really excited to play NS customs when you can (well, theoretically) go back on MCC and play ranked CE 2s?

343 has 0 to 1 chances left with most people and h5 needs to be a huge home run to make people not hate them anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't see this, but... Considering how much we curse and hate on 343, why would he show us respect?

Don't get me wrong.

I don't advocate threatening messages, I don't advocate insulting them at a personal level such as their family, friends, or love interests. I certainly do not advocate partaking in Twitch/Twitter hate wars or posting threads specifically for hating any one or group of individuals at a personal level.

Calling them out on their weak or incompetent approach to issues can be done in a level headed manner. I just don't understand why responding to criticism with accusation of bias gets us anywhere, and there's something to get out of toggling Sprint. Cannot be what everyone wants and I can understand, the real world is not like that. Usually blocking on Twitter works, instead of being passive aggressive towards critics they opened themselves up to. I'm guilty for being stuck on Josh's response to Halo 5 feedback but I don't wish the world around him personally to fall apart.

I don't mean anything threatening with what I said. I'm just deeply disappointed in the way they do things.

Personally, when someone talks down on me, I ignore them and treat them like dirt. I show them no respect whatsoever.

If those people were the reason you got to take home a check every week so you could live then I think you would want to treat them a little differently. I agree that some people go too far with the hate, but from day 1 he's been treating us like we don't know what we're talking about when we're the ones that know the game inside and out. Like honestly i think he would be better suited for working on co-op and single player. Give Quinn and all the pros free reign to make MP what it should be.