CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

quick question: did we ever heard about or see powerups in H5?

Quinn said they're planned to be in just didn't have time or something to put it in for the beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach v7 2.0?

The community will probably make a good game with what is given, but since default Halo 5 is going to be  played on tournaments it won't mean much. We dad.

Hardy Lebel: 'I was paying attention to the beta commentary when MCC came out, mostly because so many of you guys were talking about it. My personal take would be that if 343i plans to include particular mechanics, make them core to the game – don’t make it so you can turn them on or off. That said, if you want to introduce new mechanics, shoehorning them into a series where they have never existed and possibly angering the established fanbase is a risky move.'

Lebel is having a webminar today (using Google Hangouts) about level design and such, everyone should go there and see it ! 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh you better get ready fo dat bubble shield and power drain!!!

I'm looking forward to the 1-layer OS on a 2-minute timer for the 5th game in a row.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Oh you better get ready fo dat bubble shield and power drain!!!

I rather have that than the shit we had in Reach and Halo 4.

Question: When did we become so concerned with "alienating ourselves" to the point that we want to just play vanilla? What is the point for us to do that? 

I would be thrilled if a Halo title came out of the box vanilla competitive and 100% perfect, but I do not think that has EVER happened.  I think @@Aphex Twin mentioned it earlier in this thread - every game we have stripped down and geared for competitive play.  Whether it be no radars, no dual wielding, no equipment in Halo 3, No Bloom No Sprint in Reach etc. We have always "alienated" ourselves technically in one way or another. 

Even during the competitive height in Halo 3, we were playing an "alienated" experience compared to the rest of the population, but did it even matter? I feel like we are giving "alienation" way more power than it honestly would hold if we did something as simple as make it so your spartan cannot sprint. Because we turned off equipment like the "Power Drainer" and "Bubble Shield" (which were new features in Halo that Bungie was pushing) - did it make people want to compete or watch any less? Did not look like it judging by the popularity of the game, events selling out, huge sponsors on board for teams and I mean shit T2 was on a damn Dr. Pepper bottle.

I am fairly confident that casual players would NOT be bothered by a toggle be utilized to the point of not watching, and most probably wouldn't even notice.

I think alienation has to be taken to extreme levels before it has an impact on a game. If we played Halo 5 with no smart scope, no sprint, no clamber, no thruster, no ground pound, on all forge maps, THEN we would be alienating ourselves to the point that it is driving players away from watching. 

I dont think using the sprint toggle would alienate the community and it would provide a superior competitive game obviously. The only thing that I can see going wrong is 343 refusing to use it, in order to promote their default game, and that IS going to 100% happen at first if the toggle is the last stop in the no sprint discussion.  We still need the default settings to be no sprint, or we are just back to Halo Reach like others have mentioned. 

I agree, and if you look at the smash community (which has been around as long as us, and is currently growing vastly), they toggle "off" items, which are a major part of the vanilla smash game.  This is clearly not a deterrent for casual viewers, if you watched any of the recent APEX tournament.   

When I began watching competitive Halo as a casual player, I always liked the fact that the game was different settings.  I thought it was cool.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I rather have that than the shit we had in Reach and Halo 4.

Which is already confirmed in the game. Also having both would be the worst.

inb4 people armorlock in a bubbleshield :kappa:

Which is already confirmed in the game. Also having both would be the worst.

inb4 people armorlock in a bubbleshield :kappa:

Apparently they read these forums

Don't give them ideas like that

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently shooting grenades doesn't take skill and its bad luck for the player is the reason shooting grenades is being taken out.

If its happening a lot then just reduce the hitbox.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/564913631817510913

Is it healthy for me to hate people I don't know and haven't met before? The golden age Bungie Halos had that game mechanic. It was a fun thing to do when you were bored during a match to throw a grenade in the air and snipe it out. Now we can't do that. 

Quinn said they're planned to be in just didn't have time or something to put it in for the beta.

Ib4 we'll get them 6 months after launch. :kappa:

Lol are you guys seriously complaining about that? EVERYTIME i shot a grenade in Halo for the past years it was unintentional.
Yes, 343 sucks, but complaining about everything they are doing for the sake of complaining even if they've done something positive won't help with our credibility.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Btw, I highly disagree with the OP. It's nothing more than a cheap (the cheapest possible actually) attempt from 343 to appease us.
We need an awesome Halo game out of the box, not a worse Version of Reach.

You're misunderstanding my post. I meant that removing the ability to shoot peoples' grenades makes sense. It was a GOOD move. 

no one tries to shoot grenades on purpose out of the air...no one...it's a dumb feature and i'm glad it's removed...

amen. I've been complaining about this since Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Cursed Lemon I did understand your post, but wasn't referring to it. 343 is probably playing dice to decide which features they implement and which not. Otherwise it's not understandable how ZBNS Reach and things like descoping coming back are possible when we have Halo 4 and things like sprint on the other side.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don´t like this solution because every casual player new to the Halo franchise will use sprint and therefore they will never experience how good Halo can be. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Adding a sprint toggle is sensible to them solely because they've had enough feedback against sprint that they think they'll make more sales if they implement it. Shame on you if you fall for a move like that and buy the game over it. I hope you feel dirty and used.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Cursed Lemon I did understand your post, but wasn't referring to it. 343 is probably playing dice to decide which features they implement and which not. Otherwise it's not understandable how ZBNS Reach and things like descoping coming back are possible when we have Halo 4 and things like sprint on the other side.

It makes more sense when you start thinking of 343 as a collection of individuals rather than a single entity. Some of them probably understand and agree and some of them... they've been ********.

To be fair, the "competitive" community contributes to that too.

When we saw the first Halo 4 footage ( the quality was admittedly abysmal) with ordnance and auto turrets and everything ( I think I even remember a shotgun loadout) I  remember plenty of people claiming that it didn't matter because it wasn't the finished build and buying into all the "trust us" nonsense. Lots of people still ended up buying Halo 4.

Moreover, people honestly think that 343 hiring pros is anything else than a PR move. The longer I read these forums the more I think the whole notion of self proclaimed "competitive" players being insusceptible to obvious bait like "arena gameplay" or "ranking system" is just an illusion. So they can diceroll features much they want because it won't hit them where it hurts. Which is in their pockets.

I have the feeling that a good amount of the people with "Dont buy/boycott Halo 5" in their signature are still going to be buying Halo 5 in the end. They will continue to bash every single aspect of the game ( just like everyone did with H:R/H4), be it good or bad, but still end up buying it. Which makes all of the effort moot.

In the end 343 just has to push the right buttons to make people buy their game and  then reap the cash until they can repeat the whole thing over again.

And in all honesty, I had assumed even prior to a "survey" that they were going to allow a toggle option regardless for custom games, or a "no sprint" playlsit.  Maybe I am just crazy, but I thought that would be a given.  

That's exactly what I thought. When I first saw the SAs (before playing H5), I thought "well, at least if we don't like them we can turn them off in customs, right? How could they not add toggles?". I was forgetting I was talking about the company that completely decimated custom options in Halo 4, but I thought they would learn from that obvious mistake. I wouldn't think they would need any community feedback to simply add toggle options.

That's why I don't chalk this up as much as a win. This should just be something expected of 343i. Like when they announced that we'd have equal starts and all that jazz. That's great, but it should be EXPECTED of a Halo game.

Is it really progress when it is downright common sense to add this in the first place? And if common sense is considered "progress", who exactly are we dealing with?

• Upvote (+1) 8