CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

BR should be a burst fire weapon instead of a single shot

I'm entirely certain that it's not single shot.

I can't see the burst, bit odd

I can tell the Battle Rifle is a burst weapon because you can shoot a person four times and they wont die.

• Upvote (+1) 4

the burst is so short it may as well be

my final verdict on Halo 5:

Halo 5 is 343's second attempt at Halo 4.

Definition of Insanity: Attempting the same thing expecting different results.

That's not the actual definition of insanity though...

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point in the Halo lifespan - that may not be an argument you want to drudge up.  ;)

SPRINTS AMAZING. Did I do it right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can tell the Battle Rifle is a burst weapon because you can shoot a person four times and they wont die.

Biggest thing I hate the BR. So much stupidity in that logic. There's still randomness with the BR, even if its better than previous (4, 3) iterations of it. 

At the moment the only thing I think will break the game is sprint and getting away. I think sprint needs to be heavily nerfed so players cannot sprint away from battles and sprint speed is reduced by so much that it's only very slightly faster than base movement speed or even it. 

The difference between Halo and other competitive shooters: The kill times

This is because of the shielding system. Halo 3 was a great game and so were the others without sprint because you couldn't play hide and seek and kills were swift.

Mechanical changes:

- Kill times need a slight buff to about 0.2-3 seconds difference. 

- Sprint needs a heavy nerf so you can't sprint away from battles.

- Crouch jumping needs to return with clamber 

Aesthetic changes:

- Natural lightning needs to be reduced in particular indoor areas to increase object fidelity and standard lightning

- Player armour models and customization should follow after Halo: Reach and Halo 3

- BR should be a burst fire weapon instead of a single shot, it adds to player immersion being beefy because it's a utility weapon

- Medals need to be improved looking from examples: Halo: Reach and Halo 3

While I don't think it is enough to buff sprint (it needs to be removed as it is incompatible with the shield mechanic) your feedback to the games aesthetic is right. I actually think H3 looks better, mostly because it doesn’t look like a cheap generic shooter. 

I am stunned that 343 managed to make a game that look so last gen and plays like a low cost, copy-paste, generic shooter. How did they even succeed in removing every kind of halo-identity from the game?! 

While I don't think it is enough to buff sprint (it needs to be removed as it is incompatible with the shield mechanic) your feedback to the games aesthetic is right. I actually think H3 looks better, mostly because it doesn’t look like a cheap generic shooter. 

I am stunned that 343 managed to make a game that look so last gen and plays like a low cost, copy-paste, generic shooter. How did they even succeed in removing every kind of halo-identity from the game?! 

Agreed, the game is visually cluttered in every single way - medals, UI, lighting, details - you name it. It doesn't help that they have zero clue on how to not make everything look like plastic. Someone mentioned before that their models resemble Zbrush meshes or soft clay, and it's true (though an improvement from H4).

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ok, missed the last couple of pages, but can someone please explain to me WTF the last couple of days in the beta are back to AR/Magnum start instead of the BR?

Ugh.

Because they cant aim and they get destroyed by people who can

It's way easier to just spray and hit 10 out of 32 shots than it is to get a 4 shot with BR

They don't believe that AR starts are better, they just don't like get getting out BR'd over and over

BR starts is the only thing from preventing these kids from getting 50-0'ed every game and they don't even realise it.

When these kids start with AR's against good players, the good players get BR, setup shop and absolutely DECIMATE the AR loving morons who have ZERO chance of fighting back.

I remember back in the Halo 2 days in match making, getting a proper BR setup on SMG starts meant game over in the first 30 seconds of the game. There was absolutely no chance of regaining map control with SMG starts.

And on Ascension? Haha, fucking forget it.

EDIT - Just played a game where my team mates were awful. Other team got BR's, DMR's and 2 swords (yes, 2 of them) on Truth and basically sat up top mid while 2 guys sprinted around the map with swords sprinting and thrusting straight into us while we got to hopelessly spray our AR's at them...

2 of my team mates were sitting on a single kill when I quit the game out of frustration. $20 says these are the same idiots that are like "BR starts ruin Halo OMG".

• Upvote (+1) 5

So the beta is basically done, and where has 343 been with their promise of "focusing on community feedback with the beta" "We want to hear your criticisms of the game"? Certainly they must know the game has issues, and have seen the huge loss in viewer-ship and player population from the first week(I had 0 friends playing the H5 beta on the last night compared to 26+the first couple days). I know some of them read these forums, not sure if there in this thread anymore because of how salty it has become but they need to hear the truth. I look at Quinn, David Ellis, Frankie, Bravo, and Josh Holmes twitter, and all I see is them re-tweeting the good reviews and not responding in a real way to any of the criticism and their blatant copying of the CoD control scheme/CoD mechanics desperately forced into Halo. Do they even know what is about to happen if they do nothing and pretend like H5 wont be a repeat of H4?

SMH, the sad thing is I dont hate H5 and I think its easily better than Reach+H4 with the right changes. I just think its mis-guided and needs to be more like classic Arena Halo combat if its going to sell itself as such instead of another abomination of Halo and MMS-style FPS. A good Arena FPS can be played for ages like H1-H3 and still be fun because you can always increase your skill and the feeling of equality and true satisfaction from mastering a balanced game based on skill never fades.No amount of nostalgia makes those games objectively superior from a competitive and casual stand-point than Reach+H4 and soon to be H5 if things dont change. No amount of nostalgia makes those games 10x more beloved in the MP community and instant classics whereas Reach+H4 are already forgotten just like H5 will be if you dont listen to the core community.

Choose a side 343, its your fans and the future and longevity of the franchise or desperately trying to appeal to a crowd that will put the game down after 2 weeks. H5 can be the "revival" of comp Halo and it can be watched by thousands regularly and allow 10+year pro gaming veterans to further their legends and a new age of comp Halo to prosper, or it can fade into obscurity and put the final nail in the coffin for the Halo MP franchise for core fans and the comp scene. And for what? So MS can chalk up a few tens of thousands more sales units at the cost of the future of the franchise? Like Walshy said, "Does anyone seriously not buy Halo because it doesn't have sprint or X feature?" Just know the Halo community will not support another abomination that satisfies nobody, you are out of time.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Halo's future is so damn dark.....

5 not even out yet and it's already dead to some 

what the fuck

Halo's future is so damn dark.....

5 not even out yet and it's already dead to some 

what the fuck

Oh its def dead bro, and if only for some now - it will be MANY more post launch - just give it a month or two. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Played CS GO all week long and the game's lack of sprint was really refreshing

A FPS only needs Smooth Movement and Great Gunplay and it's Good to go

If I wanted realism in my game I'd play Insurgency 

Played CS GO all week long and the game's lack of sprint was really refreshing

A FPS only needs Smooth Movement and Great Gunplay and it's Good to go

If I wanted realism in my game I'd play Insurgency 

Could you imagine if Halo took inspiration from CS instead of CoD?

106 degree FoV

100+FPS support

Steamworks

I came twice just thinking about it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Could you imagine if Halo took inspiration from CS instead of CoD?

106 degree FoV

100+FPS support

Steamworks

I came twice just thinking about it.

All console developers should add FoV sliders.

FPS have nothing to do with the game. Blame the Xbox One.

1:20am AEDT

U6Gm55O.png

343 probably are now like:

"Hire the guy who voices Gaz and Ghost from CoD to voice the Spartans! That will immerse the player even more!"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's a full gameplay recorded from the point of my magnum reticle disappearing on me, this is a glitch that has to be fixed before the launch of the game. Watch the unreal destruction I unleash with no reticle :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFH2_yEp0lM

It is insane how much this game looks better without the hitmarkers.

Typical fucking 343i.