CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I've always felt that complaining about things I didn't like - Sprint, abilities, and all that other jazz - was the wrong way to go about it.

Deep down, what do most people want from Halo? They want a new, fresh take, on an already existing successful game model - a la H2/H3. The addition of sprint, and all this other 'fluff' is superfluous.

I just want a carbon copy because I know it works.

This is what I've wanted as well.

New maps, new weapons, better graphics, and more options. But keep the mechanics the same.

Add in new WAYS to play, not completely new gameplay. Add in clans/team builder, a clan/team-ranked playlist that uses those in-game built teams, leaderboards for them as well as induvidual based leaderboards, a "challenge team/individual" mechanic to the leaderboards to encourage more scrims and such, custom game browser, add in search filters to custom game browser to make Forge map testing easier (eg. I can search for people hosting lobbies with their custom-made maps or game types exclusively), spectator mode, more Forge options (environment, weather, and lighting options), etc.

If they remade H2 for example, with all those features + the new maps, better graphics, some well-tested new sandbox weapon/power-up additions, and used H1's static timers, I'd gladly pay a fucking premium for that game and sacrifice my entire social life for it, without question.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Slow kill times

Too much aim assist

Slow movement

Slow strafe

Equipment

So yeah, aside from the weapons, movement and maps the game was great.

Don't forget the melee system and aim acceleration.

Grenades too. Both in their ineffectivness and ping-pong like characteristics.

Slow kill times

Too much aim assist

Slow movement

Slow strafe

Equipment

So yeah, aside from the weapons, movement and maps the game was great. 

That still feels closer than Halo 5 to me and I agree with all of that. A redesign on the BR, less aim assist, and higher movement speed/acceleration and we would of been fine. As far as equipment goes, just curious are is it the idea of equipment it self you don't like or how it was implemented. I always thought it was a good idea, the actual equipment just sucked they as were either OP, slowed things down, or were useless. Had equipment been more balanced I feel like it wouldn't of been looked at so negatively.

Inb4 they put Sprint in the game so they could take it out after the surveys to say they listened.

Or to rub it on Microsoft's face and say: "see? told ya they hate sprint"

A redesign on the BR, less aim assist, and higher movement speed/acceleration and we would of been fine

Of course halo 3 would have been a great game if all of its problems were fixed. Halo reach and halo 4 would have been great games if their problems were fixed too.

It is possible for a halo game to exist without sprint, loadouts, and AA's and still be worse than reach or halo 4. Whether or not it excludes these characteristics or "feels" like a halo game is irrelevant, it can still suck.

For example, if 343 wanted to get serious about making halo 5 an arena shooter and replaced sprint and thruster with arena movement options like wall jumping and dodge jumping, it would probably be the best game we've had since halo 1.

It wouldn't feel like a halo game and wouldn't have the classic formula, but none of that matters because it wouldn't play like shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm a big fan of H3 (It's where I came into the series), but I've been playing a decent amount of H2 lately and would have to disagree with you.

This is what I've noticed -

The aiming in H2 feels a lot smoother, I'm assuming this has something to do with not having any aim acceleration.

The maps are a decent amount better in H2.

Plus, from what I've heard, the button glitches added another dimension to the gameplay and increased the skill gap.

"Decent amount" is an understatement

People are seriously talking about how Halo 3 was bad when the last 3 games we've got are Reach, 4, and 5? Please... Stop

So because the last 3 games are worse, 3 deserves a free pass? Please... Stop

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Of course halo 3 would have been a great game if all of its problems were fixed. Halo reach and halo 4 would have been great games if their problems were fixed too.

It is possible for a halo game to exist without sprint, loadouts, and AA's and still be worse than reach or halo 4. Whether or not it excludes these characteristics or "feels" like a halo game is irrelevant, it can still suck.

For example, if 343 wanted to get serious about making halo 5 an arena shooter and replaced sprint and thruster with arena movement options like wall jumping and dodge jumping, it would probably be the best game we've had since halo 1.

It wouldn't feel like a halo game and wouldn't have the classic formula, but none of that matters because it wouldn't play like shit.

I just can't see how Halo 3 can be viewed as worse than Halo 4 and Halo 5 or even default Reach, we still have some of the problems we had in Halo 3. The aim assist is fixed, but now the bullet mag is awful. I'm not convinced taking out sprint will fix strafing either, like you say it was bad it Halo 3 without sprint, there is no guarantee taking it out will fix it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not convinced taking out sprint will fix strafing either, like you say it was bad it Halo 3 without sprint, there is no guarantee taking it out will fix it.

Nobody is saying that removing sprint will make the player acceleration and deceleration speeds faster. That's something different.

Is it just me or is the Halo 5 br really inconsistent? Like Halo Reach 100% bloom, or playing Halo 3 on yellow bar.

Anybody want to play? I was halfway through Gold: Tier III earlier today until I was teamed with first-timers, bad kids, quitters...  <_<  Just about everything you can imagine lol. Now I'm down to Tier I while going positive nearly every game, except the ones where people quit and a stray one here-or-there...

I need to play with some good players for once... :walshy:

This is what I've wanted as well.

New maps, new weapons, better graphics, and more options. But keep the mechanics the same.

Add in new WAYS to play, not completely new gameplay. Add in clans/team builder, a clan/team-ranked playlist that uses those in-game built teams, leaderboards for them as well as induvidual based leaderboards, a "challenge team/individual" mechanic to the leaderboards to encourage more scrims and such, custom game browser, add in search filters to custom game browser to make Forge map testing easier (eg. I can search for people hosting lobbies with their custom-made maps or game types exclusively), spectator mode, more Forge options (environment, weather, and lighting options), etc.

If they remade H2 for example, with all those features + the new maps, better graphics, some well-tested new sandbox weapon/power-up additions, and used H1's static timers, I'd gladly pay a fucking premium for that game and sacrifice my entire social life for it, without question.

Exactly

Just because halo 3 didn't have sprint, AA's, and loadouts doesn't mean it wasn't a shitty halo game.

I'd say anything shitty about Halo 3 was trivial in comparison to the problems Reach, 4 and 5 have brought us.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

The ending to that clip was just perfect.

I was thinking the same thing lmao. I love it when perfect comic timig happens completely by accident.

Exactly

No to mention:

This would also allow for older, really popular maps to almost seamlessly be incorporated into each new title.

Imagine playing a Halo game where you had, on the same engine and sandbox, all the maps ever made for every Halo game before it?

True, some maps will need weapon adjustments or replacements based on changes to sandbox over time, and there will also almost certainly be some maps that work great and others that dont work so great, but the point is that they'd all be CAPABLE of being tried out with little to no actual physical adjustments.

If Halo 5 were as I described above in my previous post, imagine playing on a new H5 map one match, then playing on a visually updated Hang 'Em High the next, then on Guardian after that, all with the same game engine that, at it's most basic level, just worked seamlessly for each map.

As it stands, remakes (for every game after H3 or in some cases, Reach) are now a bloody headache and massive amounts of work due to needing to reformat, resize, and rethink every inch to account for the drastically different game engine. How is this "progress"?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just had a semi pro level game go 50-2...

I went 13-0 against a team with a semi-pro or two yesterday... Not sure if they were just recently placed as a semi-pro but regardless, something seems a little whack with these ranks. Still unsure how I got placed Silver: Tier III.

I think it's one of those things though where, once the game releases, in time the ranks and skill distribution will all even out pretty reasonably.

I went 13-0 against a team with a semi-pro or two yesterday... Not sure if they were just recently placed as a semi-pro but regardless, something seems a little whack with these ranks. Still unsure how I got placed Silver: Tier III.

I think it's one of those things though where, once the game releases, in time the ranks and skill distribution will all even out pretty reasonably.

Someone made a post either earlier in this thread or in the feedback one saying basically "the ranking seems like it's going to start in semipro". Deffo agree with this, apart from inconsistencies with people not being placed the same as other people despite winning the same amount of Matches. It seems Far too easy to get into semipro.

He also brought up the point that this will be detrimental to the longevity of mm in h5. As most people know they won't get pro as long as it is actually exclusive to the top 200(is it 200 in the beta? Doesn't seem that way).

The new midship with BRs plays Like absolute trash. Most games don't end in kills. I hate it.

At high levels its so campy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd say anything shitty about Halo 3 was trivial in comparison to the problems Reach, 4 and 5 have brought us.

That doesn't negate Halo 3's shitty aspects though.  You shouldn't have to lower your standards because post-Halo 3 games were even shittier.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 3 and Halo 1 are my two favourite Halo games, this whole argument about Halo 3 being bad is stupid.  Both very different from one another but both difficult to aim in.

lol

No dude, just no.

Halo 1 is hard to aim in due to fast base movement speed and very little autoaim. The controls feel tight and responsive.

Halo 3 is hard to aim with due to sluggish controls and absurd aim acceleration which means makes aiming feel completely unnatural. Unlike Halo 1, aiming in Halo 3 isn't hard due to little autoaim, it's hard because you have to fight with your controller to make anything happen.

I prefer Halo 2's absurd amounts of autoaim over Halo 3, because at least I can make my crosshair go where I want it to.

If Halo 5 were as I described above in my previous post, imagine playing on a new H5 map one match, then playing on a visually updated Hang 'Em High the next, then on Guardian after that, all with the same game engine that, at it's most basic level, just worked seamlessly for each map.

Like Counter Strike. People still play DE_Dust and DE_Dust 2 in CS:GO which were in CS 1.6. The maps have been slightly altered throughout the years but the original layout of the maps are largely unchanged. On top of this plenty of new maps have been added and the amount of community content is insane.

Could you imagine how amazing Halo 5 would be if it had something similar to Steam Workshop, which gives the community developer tools to create maps? Not Forge, but the proper tools to create ANYTHING?

• Upvote (+1) 4