CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I prefer games where the combat is not a mind numbing slog of random BRs with a kill time of 1.5 seconds and an effective range of 20 feet.

You complain about people running away from engagements in Halo 5, but in Halo 3 people could run away from any engagement over 30 feet away.

See you could runaway, but couldn't get away.

I prefer games where the combat is not a mind numbing slog of random BRs with a kill time of 1.5 seconds and an effective range of 20 feet.

You complain about people running away from engagements in Halo 5, but in Halo 3 people could run away from any engagement over 30 feet away.

In LAN this was not a common thing, as much as I hate Halo 3, I have to admit that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Finally sent my Sprint Montage to Josh Holmes as I'm actually awake when he's active on twitter. Probably won't get a response.

So you prefer ones that are mind numbing slogs of 1 shot here, 1 shot there, run around and don't engage unless I have 3 teammates or an insanely huge advantage and effective range doesn't matter at all because if you take 1 shot at anyone at long range they quickly escape behind the nearest wall. And the whole fucking charade repeats.

Halo since Reach is literally Call of Duty with way too fucking long kill times.

No, but compared to Halo 3, yeah I do. Hyperbole aside, engagements in Halo 5 are much more interesting than they were in Halo 3.

And you want to complain about slow gameplay? Yeah, we should all be pining for the days of 35 to 34 standoffs on the Pit until time expires. That was real Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because having to team shoot targets makes 1v1 and 2v2 useless. There's a reason 1v1 and 2v2 haven't been played competitively since Halo 2.

343 is advertising Halo 5 as an arena shooter when 1v1 is going to play like trash... HAHAHAHAHAHA, Have any 343 actually PLAYED an arena shooter like Quake or UT or are they just pulling buzzwords out of their ass?

Because he knew the right people. That's literally it.

Not sure about you, but I've had many 1v1, 1v2, and 1v3 encounters in Halo 3. Most were quite successful. Team shooting does not negate 1v1 battles. They are not mutually exclusive. Halo 3 struck a perfect balance of team shooting (since cross map fire was difficult solo) and 1v1s (narrows bases, coming up elbow on Guardian, long hall on Pit, back gold on Construct). More often than not I had a 1v1 kill compared to a 3BR vs 1BR kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, but compared to Halo 3, yeah I do. Hyperbole aside, engagements in Halo 5 are much more interesting than they were in Halo 3.

And you want to complain about slow gameplay? Yeah, we should all be pining for the days of 35 to 34 standoffs on the Pit until time expires. That was real Halo.

I don't really see the engagements as interesting but frustrating....

So I did imagine it when you said "sprint is in the game...how could it possibly be slower?" (Quick, go back and edit it out of your post).

Accidentally negged you, sorry man.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You can pick a bad gametype in any Halo game and talk shit about it like that.  

Halo 5 literally has an easy button and all the maps so far promote using the shit out of it to evade combat with ease whenever you have even the slightest doubt of where you were attacked from.  I find absolutely nothing interesting about that.  The distance you're allowed to overextend out of position vs. Halo 3 and still be safe is just absurd.

Not sure about you, but I've had many 1v1, 1v2, and 1v3 encounters in Halo 3. Most were quite successful.

We aren't concerned with your personal experience so much as we are with the game design.

I've won 1v3's in reach, that doesn't mean the game has an acceptable amount of individual skill.

Not sure about you, but I've had many 1v1, 1v2, and 1v3 encounters in Halo 3. Most were quite successful.

I'm not talking about encounters, I'm talking about 1v1 and 2v2 as a competitive game type. Playing 1v1 in any game after Halo 2 (And Halo 2 didn't exactly play it well either) is like playing 1v1 in Counter Strike or LoL.

Sure... You can do it, but you probably shouldn't tell anyone about it since it's embarrassing.

To be fair, that was MLG's fault more than anything. The Pit was an awful map that should have only been used for CTF and nothing else. Anyone that likes The Pit can be thanked for the god awful maps to follow in later games.

We had the tools to force player movement and we didn't use them. The amount of powerups and power weapons on maps should have been increased and the timers decreased. Pros got to test Forged maps and never took them seriously since they got nothing out of it and it took them away from practicing for tournaments.

One of the only arena type maps in Halo 3 besides Midship, Citadel, wasn't used in competitive play.

Let that sink in for just a moment... The people deciding the maps and gametypes for Halo 3 had no fucking idea WTF they were doing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 > H2

At least you actually had to try and aim your gun in H3, rather than the game just doing it for you in H2.

I'm a big fan of H3 (It's where I came into the series), but I've been playing a decent amount of H2 lately and would have to disagree with you.

This is what I've noticed -

The aiming in H2 feels a lot smoother, I'm assuming this has something to do with not having any aim acceleration.

The maps are a decent amount better in H2.

Plus, from what I've heard, the button glitches added another dimension to the gameplay and increased the skill gap.

The people deciding the maps and gametypes for Halo 3 had no fucking idea WTF they were doing.

But but but the pros were the ones making those decisions! They know what's best for the game!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Inb4 they put Sprint in the game so they could take it out after the surveys to say they listened.

Would require the biggest balls ever. Here's to hoping they've got big nads.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I love how this thread has turned into a Halo 3 circlejerk about why it's a bad game.  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I love how this thread has turned into a Halo 3 circlejerk about why it's a bad game.  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:

yeah wtf, we're supposed to talk about how halo 5 is a bad game.

Did they nerf the AR with that last little update?  Feels a lot weaker now for some reason.  Also I don't know if this has been confirmed but I'm pretty sure they took the CoD approach with nades and they seem to gravitate towards players.  I've seen frags hit flat ground and turn at an angle and I feel like this may be to blame for nades being so strong.  Anyone know for sure?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Besides

-An inconsistent BR

-shitty netcode

-Pit and Guardian TS playing slow, and awful spawns on Amp

What was really wrong with Halo 3? I can't think of many other things I didn't like. Even Pit and Guardian played okay most of the time in the playlist, didn't have many standoffish games unless the score was 45-45.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If they just fix the H2C hit detection, then i'm good to go. 

I'm not worrying about wanting to like H5. I love H2, always have and always will. If they fix some of the issues wrong with that game (and MCC in general), then i'll be set for a while. 

Unlike others who dislike H5, I dislike it because I want a carbon-copy of H2 and/or H3. I'm not afraid to admit it, like some others are. I'm not going to beat around the bush and tell people I dislike H5 because of  the addition of things like Sprint, abilities, etc. I'll just flat out tell you upfront that I do want a carbon copy of prior games. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Sure, I get the whole "well the series has to grow" argument, and there is a time and place for that. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Besides

-An inconsistent BR

-shitty netcode

What was really wrong with Halo 3? I can't think of many other things I didn't like. Even Pit and Guardian played okay most of the time in the playlist, didn't have many standoffish games unless the score was 45-45.

Slow kill times

Too much aim assist

Slow movement

Slow strafe

Equipment

So yeah, aside from the weapons, movement and maps the game was great. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Besides

-An inconsistent BR

-shitty netcode

The aiming grid which made everything sluggish, slow movement speed, dual-wield sandbox, easy sniper no-scopes, etc.

If they just fix the H2C hit detection, then i'm good to go. 

I'm not worrying about wanting to like H5. I love H2, always have and always will. If they fix some of the issues wrong with that game (and MCC in general), then i'll be set for a while. 

Unlike others who dislike H5, I dislike it because I want a carbon-copy of H2 and/or H3. I'm not afraid to admit it, like some others are. I'm not going to beat around the bush and tell people I dislike H5 because of  the addition of things like Sprint, abilities, etc. I'll just flat out tell you upfront that I do want a carbon copy of prior games. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Sure, I get the whole "well the series has to grow" argument, and there is a time and place for that. 

At least you're honest about it.

I just wanna know why there have been ZERO power-ups on map for any of the maps in Slayer?

Probably because despite AAs not being in the "arena" portion of the multiplayer, they are reportedly going to be in the rest, which may mean no on-map power ups like Camo and OS.

And that is just wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 4

At least you're honest about it.

I've always felt that complaining about things I didn't like - Sprint, abilities, and all that other jazz - was the wrong way to go about it. 

Deep down, what do most people want from Halo? They want a new, fresh take, on an already existing successful game model - a la H2/H3. The addition of sprint, and all this other 'fluff' is superfluous. 

I just want a carbon copy because I know it works. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

yo straight up, i'm done. if the game ships like this i'm not buying it. it'z crazy how they took out loadouts and perks and this shit still feels like cod with the terrible matchmaking, terrible maps, and terriblely op guns. and to top it off i'm continuously matched with afks and ******* against teams of 4.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1