CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

it feels like my matches are ending much quicker than H2 or H3 games

If someone makes the comment that "sprint sucks and isn't good for Halo...

Sprint sucks and isn't good for halo...because it slows the game down.

Your subjective feelings are irrelevant here. The mechanic prolongs gunfights and serves as a defensive ability that everyone has at spawn. You have the illusion of the game playing faster, but the reality of the situation is much different.

Imagine a BR battle in H2 or H3. Now imagine one in H5. Sprint and TP prolong the shit out of engagements.

That I will agree with. Individual engagements are in fact longer. 

I guess it just feels like games are going faster sense you essentially can reach one end of the map to the other rather quickly. 

Again, to reiterate, I hate sprint with a passion, and that's the reason why Halo for me really died when Bungie released the Halo Reach Beta. I played 2 games and asked myself "what is this shit?" Then continued on with Halo 3.

You can be hipster about Halo 3 all you want but it was still a traditional Halo game.

Just because halo 3 didn't have sprint, AA's, and loadouts doesn't mean it wasn't a shitty halo game.

Sprint sucks and isn't good for halo...because it slows the game down.

Your subjective feelings are irrelevant here. The mechanic prolongs gunfights and serves as a defensive ability that everyone has at spawn. You have the illusion of the game playing faster, but the reality of the situation is much different.

Reading comprehension, if you had it...you would probably see that I agree with nearly everything you mentioned. 

If Halo 3 was a traditional Halo game, then fuck traditional Halo. If that's what all of you are using as a metric for what makes a "traditional" Halo game, then I welcome any and all changes 343 makes to it.

I understand the concept of Sprint and it's effects on gameplay. I'm very much so anti sprint. 

Point is matchmaking games are much quicker...so the comment that sprint "slows" gameplay doesn't make sense to me. I haven't timed my matches, but it feels like my matches are ending much quicker than H2 or H3 games...of course depending on the map. Slayer on Warlock is obviously going to go buy very quickly.

If someone makes the comment that "sprint sucks and isn't good for Halo..." that I can buy.

The game is new, people haven't figured out exactly how to play it, so obviously people will mindlessly be rushing around the map using sprint. They are also a lot of bad people playing the Beta, too. I'm talking about competent people who know how to abuse Sprint. At that level, there is a 100% chance the game will play slower with Sprint.

Sure, it's a bit more punishing now that your shields don't recharge when Sprinting, however that further incentivizes players who are Sprinting away to stay under cover or away from the action until they're full shields, thus making it even slower as players aren't getting into encounters as quick. Plus, we now have infinite Sprint so there's not even a limit for how far someone can Sprint for.

Regarding Halo 3, you probably feel H5 games are going quicker due to the H5 BR having a good netcode and actually shooting straight for the most part whereas the H3 BR had an awful spread and didn't do shit online.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I guess it just feels like games are going faster sense you essentially can reach one end of the map to the other rather quickly.

That's the illusion that sprint creates. "I can run faster, so this game is faster!"

The reality of the situation is much different.

Reading comprehension, if you had it...you would probably see that I agree with nearly everything you mentioned.

Hmm, I must have imagined it when you said "Spint is in this game...how could it be slower!"

I hate em equally. H3 and on has all been a shadow of what halo once was.

I do.

I am on the fence- besides an inconsistent utility weapon h3 had the GOAT sniper, some pretty enjoyable maps, and i loved the "floaty feeling" (selective bias;).

If h5 got rid of thruster and sprint, than this game could rival the ubberness of h2. - but idk i am leaning on h3 just because on 60 FPS and DS (sometimes) i find it alot more fun and enjoyable than h5.

H5 just irks me because i cannot finish a kill. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hmm, I must have imagined it when you said "Spint is in this game...how could it be slower!"

Yup, poor reading comprehension. It's okay dude, just semantics over terminology.

Inb4 they put Sprint in the game so they could take it out after the surveys to say they listened.

Fuck, i would actually love that

@@Aphex Twin. The netcode bad, this affects basically 1/30 br battles. Pulling a random number out my ass but what I mean is enough that you notice when you're watching someone else. Not enough to notice when you're playing yourself besides the rare occasion and never does it affect who will win the majority of the time.

The br spread is not totally random, first bullet goes straight, the others deviate away from the first bullet. When in rrr this has little to no effect on battles because of aim assist, magnetism etc. I feel when you lead properly in h3, the bullets "suck/vacuum" onto the target (the burst). Not just describing magnetism, it's the way you lead that you can instantly tell the full burst landed perfectly.

After playing h3 for some time you to a point where in at least rrr range you are landing all shots, kill time is only relevant if you tried to take someone on from too far away expecting a 1.2 killtime.

If you quoted and addressed the rest of my post, you'd have seen my answer for range...halo 3 was a fantastic halo game. You say halo got shit at h3, in a different debate you'd be sayin it got shit at h2. Objectively speaking, neither are shit and the series got worse at H2. Your arguments will make people think Slander because your opinions and statements on halo 3 are all hyperbole and for some reason you post an awful lot about it with the goal of pushing that opinion on other people.

Tldr: objectively speaking, 3s problems are exaggerated, however it remains a good halo title because none of it's problems chanGE the genre or how the game is effectively played, only that you have to move closer. Again trying to argue that the br is as detrimental as aas or Sprint is hyperbole. I believe the reason you might find it unenjoyable is that you try play it like h1/2 instead of simply accepting the br range is smaller in this particular halo.

Edited cos of stupid touchscreen phone agh.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If Halo 3 was a traditional Halo game, then fuck traditional Halo. If that's what all of you are using as a metric for what makes a "traditional" Halo game, then I welcome any and all changes 343 makes to it.

Halo 3 is an inconceivably better core for an FPS than this sprint and thrust away peek a boo nonsense that's been shit out of 343 and Bungie since Reach.

I prefer games where people actually engage in combat.  It's incredibly difficult to make a worse FPS than Halo has been since Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 > H2

At least you actually had to try and aim your gun in H3, rather than the game just doing it for you in H2.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

none of it's problems chanGE the genre or how the game is effectively played

The problems in halo 3 completely change how the game is played. Where you were once able to control a map by spreading out and holding down a zone by yourself, halo 3's problems force you to cluster together with your team.

It's teamshoot or lose in halo 3, whereas before h3 there was more than one dominant strategy in the game. Check out the two videos I posted on the last page.

Yup, poor reading comprehension. It's okay dude, just semantics over terminology.

So I did imagine it when you said "sprint is in the game...how could it possibly be slower?" (Quick, go back and edit it out of your post).

• Downvote (-1) 4

The problems in halo 3 completely change how the game is played. Where you were once able to control a map by spreading out and holding down a zone by yourself, halo 3's problems force you to cluster together with your team.

It's teamshoot or lose in halo 3, whereas before h3 there was more than one dominant steategy in the game. Check out the two videos I posted on the last page.

Online?  Sure, but who cares who's good online.  Netcode was bad in 2007, we get it.

On LAN?  No, not really.  2009-2011'ish shows this pretty clearly.  People became far individually stronger than people thought possible when the game released.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If no major changes to Thruster and Sprint are made in the final version of the game, Halo 5 will be the most teamshot-dependent game in the history of the series. You're all free to bookmark this post and refer back to it in a couple years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Aphex Twin. The netcode bad, this affects basically 1/30 br battles. Pulling a random number out my ass but what I mean is enough that you notice when you're watching someone else. Not enough to notice when you're playing yourself besides the rare occasion and never does it affect who will the majority of the time.

The br spread is not totally random, first bullet goes straight, the others deviate away from the first bullet. When in rrr this has little to no effect on battles because of aim assist, magnetism etc. I feel when you lead properly in h3, the bullets "suck/vacuum" onto the target (the burst). Not just describing magnetism, it's the way you lead that you can instantly tell the full burst landed perfectly.

After playing h3 for some time you to a point where in at least rrr range you are landing all shots, kill time is only relevant if you tried to take someone on from too far away expecting a 1.2 fulltime.

If you quoted and addressed the rest of y post, you'd have seen my answer for range...halo 3 was a fantastic halo game. You say halo got shit at h3, in a different debate you'd sayin got shit at h2. Objectively speaking, neither are shit and the series got worse at H2. Your arguments will make people think Slander because your opinions and statements halo 3 are all hyperbole and for some reason you post an awful lot with the goal of pushing that opinion on other people.

Tldr: objectively speaking, 3s problems are exaggerated, however it remains a good halo title because none of it's problems chanGE the genre or how the game is effectively played, only that you have to move closer. Again trying to argue that the br is as detrimental as aas or Sprint is hyperbole. I believe the reason you might find it enjoyable is that you try play it like h1/2 instead of simply accepting the br range is smaller in this particular halo.

Finally some who knows what they are talking about. +1

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 3 is an inconceivably better core for an FPS than this sprint and thrust away peek a boo nonsense that's been shit out of 343 and Bungie since Reach.

I prefer games where people actually engage in combat. It's incredibly difficult to make a worse FPS than Halo has been since Reach.

I prefer games where the combat is not a mind numbing slog of random BRs with a kill time of 1.5 seconds and an effective range of 20 feet.

You complain about people running away from engagements in Halo 5, but in Halo 3 people could run away from any engagement over 30 feet away.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Online? Sure, but who cares who's good online. Netcode was bad in 2007, we get it.

The dumbed down team strategy in halo 3 wasn't a netcode problem, that was just a slow gameplay problem.

Also, blood shots happen on LAN too.

However, I will say that h5 does require alot of teamwork- maybe the most out of all the series- Teamshooting, bait and switching, calling out, and cleaning up the 1/2 shots are vital in h5 since it is rare you will kill a player in the first engagement. 

Team shooting =/= team work.

It's so shallow. Hey, instead of spreading around the map to hold down different positions and cover different angles, I want you to all hold hands because if you don't team shoot someone it's impossible to kill them.

Counter Strike takes 100X's more team work than Halo. The term "team shooting" doesn't even fucking exist in Counter Strike.

or you just had a good team shot (why this part of Halo is being attacked in this thread is mind boggling but I digress)

Because having to team shoot targets makes 1v1 and 2v2 useless. There's a reason 1v1 and 2v2 haven't been played competitively since Halo 2.

343 is advertising Halo 5 as an arena shooter when 1v1 is going to play like trash... HAHAHAHAHAHA, Have any 343 actually PLAYED an arena shooter like Quake or UT or are they just pulling buzzwords out of their ass?

I have absolutely no idea how either of them got into the positions they did.

Kevin Franklin's previous experience is SOCOM and Need for Speed. How the FUCK did he get head of multiplayer? Please, someone tell me.

Because he knew the right people. That's literally it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I prefer games where the combat is not a mind numbing slog of random BRs with a kill time of 1.5 seconds and an effective range of 20 feet.

So you prefer ones that are mind numbing slogs of 1 shot here, 1 shot there, run around and don't engage unless I have 3 teammates or an insanely huge advantage and effective range doesn't matter at all because if you take 1 shot at anyone at long range they quickly escape behind the nearest wall.  And the whole fucking charade repeats.

Halo since Reach is literally Call of Duty with way too fucking long kill times.

• Upvote (+1) 2